• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to widow of dead Sargent: 'He knew what he signed up for'

Trumps a fucking moron, but you can absolutely say that and be emphatic.

"He knew what he signed up for, but he did it anyway, in order to protect the country, because he was a hero, it was inate in his being."

Etc etc.

Of course you could also say it like "meh, he knew what he signed up for. Shit happens"

I can well see trump try to make the first point but sound like the second, given his vocabulary and speech patterns of a small child.

Edit: what happened anyway? I didn't hear this story. I thought he was calling families of people who died months ago for some reason.

Nearly two weeks and his effort here is so damn low. This is also only after being asked about in a press conference, had he not been asked this call would've never happened.

Mailbox

I mean you are also just looking at the words. Which were completely shitty. There is a larger context. He literally had days to come up with something better.

And the only reason he called her was bc he got called out by the media. And hw tried to get out of it by throwing Obama and Bush and under the bus. And everyone shat on him for that.

So he reluctantly calls a widow and delivers those comments? Fuck that.

He has access to an entire godamn commu ications team and elected officials that could have given him this dudes life story.

Its with a heavy heart I call...nation and I give its gratidude....*childrens name here* had an amazing and brave father....the nation mourns your loss...

There. Done.

Yeah.
My point was more that the vast majority of the posts were focusing on the exact words.
Maybe I should have been much more clear then. The words are definitely the least important factor here, and yet the most talked about.

Everything you said is 100% right.

That's subhuman. He's so disrespectful towards our troops, but he'll cry like a baby about the NFL taking a knee. This motherfucker...

"He knew what he signed up for, but he did it anyway, in order to protect the country, because he was a hero, it was inate in his being."

Etc etc.

Of course you could also say it like "meh, he knew what he signed up for. Shit happens"

I can well see trump try to make the first point but sound like the second, given his vocabulary and speech patterns of a small child.

Dude has no emotions. He doesn't given a shit about anyone but himself. He's rotten to his fucking core and it sure as fuck sounded like the latter because he doesn't have a shred of empathy.

adj_noun

Eh, I bet the right would have given Obama a pass if he'd said the same thing.

they would have burned him in effigy live on Fox news

Dude has no emotions. He doesn't given a shit about anyone but himself. He's rotten to his fucking core and it sure as fuck sounded like the latter because he doesn't have a shred of empathy.

Can't disagree with any of that.

My brain has a normal person filter. Like an auto-correct. But it just doesn't apply to him.

MechaX

Etc etc.

Edit: what happened anyway? I didn't hear this story. I thought he was calling families of people who died months ago for some reason.

It's unfortunate that Trump has the unholy combination of being unable to make good sentences (this is the same guy who described an ocean as "big water"), and cannot be or sound sincere to save his life. If he was good at the latter, then the widow might have understood this to make the blow of his lack of skill with the first sting less. But alas...

Nafai1123

Banned
Yeah.
My point was more that the vast majority of the posts were focusing on the exact words.
Maybe I should have been much more clear then. The words are definitely the least important factor here, and yet the most talked about.

Everything you said is 100% right.

I have no idea what you're saying. The words are the most important factor when calling a grieving widow.

Mailbox

I have no idea what you're saying. The words are the most important factor when calling a grieving widow.

I'd argue the lack of effort the words show, the opportunism given the recent bullshit about prior presidents never talking to widows, etc etc etc are far more insidious and far more important to this chain of events and how we should react to them than the words themselves.

I guess my point was (sorry if it seems like i'm saying multiple things and being a lil confusing) he's not scum in this situation because of what his words meant, as many are somehow implying, but rather it is everything surrounding that: the lacking effort, the disrespect, the opportunism, etc etc. is what makes him scum.

smurfx

get some go again
this idiot was shamed into calling the widows of dead soldiers and when he does he goes and says something crass to the widow. would be funny if this orange idiot wasn't running the country.

Frederica Wilson, the one who heard and relayed this quote to the media, is my Congresswoman. I may not have lived in her district for long, but I hope that she doesn’t get dragged through the mud and turned into a target because of this. I could easily see Trump tweeting about her minding her own business and that she should focus on cleaning up her crime-ridden district. Miami Gardens isn’t crime-free, but we all know that Trump is just dog-whistling when he says stuff like that.

Joeku

Frederica Wilson, the one who heard and relayed this quote to the media, is my Congresswoman. I may not have lived in her district for long, but I hope that she doesn’t get dragged through the mud and turned into a target because of this. I could easily see Trump tweeting about her minding her own business and that she should focus on cleaning up her crime-ridden district. Miami Gardens isn’t crime-free, but we all know that Trump is just dog-whistling when he says stuff like that.

How much faith do you have in Trump to not take the lowest road? The fault in this, in just a few hours, will be placed on her and the fake news media who reported on it. There's no doubt.

It was probably more like "He knew what he signed up for in...AH-free-KAAAH! Have you ever seen those Lion King movies? So sad when Scar died. Sad! We all love AH-free-KAAAH!"

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/17/politics/president-donald-trump-john-kelly-obama-phone-call/index.html

He brings in John Kelly's family into this shit now, unbelievable.

The comment came during an interview on Fox News Radio.

"As far as other presidents, I don't know, you could ask Gen. Kelly, did he get a call from Obama? I don't know what Obama's policy was," Trump said.

Kelly's son Robert died when he stepped on a landmine in Afghanistan in 2010. Kelly, a retired four-star Marine general, was a lieutenant general at the time.

Kelly and his wife, Karen Hernest Kelly, were invited to attend a 2011 Memorial Day breakfast for Gold Star families, those men and women whose children were killed in action, according to an aide, speaking on background.

White House visitor logs from that day show that Kelly and his wife were cleared to attend the event. A person familiar with the breakfast says that General and Mrs. Kelly were scheduled to sit at Michelle Obama's table, but CNN could not determine if they were present.

Kelly, according to media reports, has tried to keep his son's death private.

Seeing people cry over a casket is just depressing and heartbreaking to see, especially in light of veterans dying in the line of duty. Makes me wish I would personally go to each family member of those lost, hug them and give my condolences to them. I honestly felt legitimately fearful for the life of my cousin when he went to become a Marine, but understood that he is doing it to serve the country. And one of my classmates lost a family member when he served in the military during my middle school years.

It honestly would have pissed me if a monster like Trump used comments like that. It would have personally hurt me emotionally (in fact, that’s honestly how I feel regarding the widow). He is nothing but bigoted, vile, shellfish, hypocritical, unfit, inhumane, uncaring, ungrateful, disrespectful excuse of a human being who just won’t stop crossing the moral event horizon.

Needless to say, I cannot believe he was elected.

NPR did an interview with the brother of another soldier killed in Niger and the guy was literally gushing about getting a call from the President. I think the interviewer asked him about the delay in getting a call from Trump, but the brother ended up lowkey defending Trump, and was just gushing.As a listener it just felt completely wrong, but I dont want to judge the guy either. Here's the part:

MCEVERS: Have you or your family been contacted by the president or the president's office?

WRIGHT: For myself, no. And I don't think that's, you know, part of the protocol. And it's not normal. But my mother and my father have been notified that President Trump will be reaching out and, you know, delivering a message and letters as well. As of right now, I know my mother hasn't. But you know, we're excitingly anticipating the call, so...

MCEVERS: Yeah. I mean, that's something that's important, yeah?

WRIGHT: Yeah. I think any opportunity to speak with the president of the United States is a great honor. It's a privilege. And just to be able to share his sentiments and to speak with our family, it would be. I mean, it's a big deal.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
some presidents dont even call.

shes so lucky obama wasnt still in charge

Taramoor

So when he angrily tweets about this later and says “Wife of dead Niger soldier very disrespectful!” what’s the over under on him spelling the country correctly?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Jesus

Bad idea letting sociopaths console grieving widows.

Seriously! I'll pretend I understand the "our team -go Trump" bullshit that turns a blind eye to all his faults but to seriously let him interact with grieving people is the most foolish of ideas. That man should not be let near people who support. We know he fucking sucks at anything support related.

I am so fucking tired of seeing ignorant people like you say this.

THE MAJORITY OF THE CITIZENS WHO VOTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA DID NOT VOTE FOR THIS MAN.

Do you realize this? You need to.
A non-vote is essentially a vote for Trump, they were perfectly fine with him becoming president

Monocle

I’m still somehow surprised after all this time at how lower he keeps going
Literally every opportunity he gets to show human decency in some small way, he uses for profanity and desecration. It's astonishing, the way he manages to be so thoroughly terrible at all times.

3cdcaf5e006031d6aab0db8965e8d9ae.png

Some of you really need to understand that land area doesn't equal people (
Except in this map, where it kinda does...
).

That looks like a gross misshapen abomination.

No I mean the map.

Ryuuga

Banned
It's like all he knows about what to say are tough guy action movie cliche lines.

Yet doesn't understand the context or occasion to use them. This very same line is what I hear people use in Canada when people complain about our winter conditions. As aforementioned, there is a way to use it while still being empathetic, but that takes a scintilla of empathy to begin with.

Top Bottom