• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Finally read yesterday's newsletter. GAF's own Sad Affleck getting a SO. Mischa Barton piece was wonderful.

You, Mischa Barton, were once Marissa Cooper. You were the cream of the B-list. If you need a reminder of that, just look in the mirror and say, “Welcome to DWTS, b-tch.” That should get you sufficiently hyped.

I don't have the time or care to keep up with this stuff which is why I always appreciated the reality show recaps Grantland did.

So the recent episode of The Watch with Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald has an 8ish minute segment on Batman v. Superman... but neither of them has actually seen the movie. Seriously? WTF.

T Dollarz

So the recent episode of The Watch with Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald has an 8ish minute segment on Batman v. Superman... but neither of them has actually seen the movie. Seriously? WTF.

Yeah, they're credibility went out the window with me when they did an oscars podcast and proclaimed that they actually hadn't seen hardly any movies last year. And they're commenting on the oscars like they know what the fuck's going on. But I've realized for a while now that for the most part these public sports writers/figures commenting on film and television tends to be pretty cringeworthy. I like Bill Simmons' overall discussions of movies, but when he actually starts dissecting a film I usually never agree with his positions.

jay23

The David Duchovny podcast was really good he told so many awesome stories probably one of my favorite Simmons podcast.

The jumbotron story was hilarious I've always wondered why they leave the camera on the celeb and make the situation so awkward lol.

Gigglepoo

Yeah, they're credibility went out the window with me when they did an oscars podcast and proclaimed that they actually hadn't seen hardly any movies last year. And they're commenting on the oscars like they know what the fuck's going on. But I've realized for a while now that for the most part these public sports writers/figures commenting on film and television tends to be pretty cringeworthy. I like Bill Simmons' overall discussions of movies, but when he actually starts dissecting a film I usually never agree with his positions.

Weren't Greenwald and Ryan talking about everything surrounding the Oscars rather than breaking down who should have won individual awards? There's nothing wrong with that. And the BvS discussion was an honest reaction that many people have. They mirror my own reasons why I don't want to see that movie. That's a fine conversation to have.

I'm surprised that you think their analysis on Girls' comeback or why Togetherness was cancelled lacks depth or meaning, but I guess we all want something different in our television analysis. I think they do an incredible job explaining why a show is or isn't working.

ryseing

Weren't Greenwald and Ryan talking about everything surrounding the Oscars rather than breaking down who should have won individual awards? There's nothing wrong with that. And the BvS discussion was an honest reaction that many people have. They mirror my own reasons why I don't want to see that movie. That's a fine conversation to have.

I'm surprised that you think their analysis on Girls' comeback or why Togetherness was cancelled lacks depth or meaning, but I guess we all want something different in our television analysis. I think they do an incredible job explaining why a show is or isn't working.

Greenwald's an excellent TV critic. One of the best as far as I'm concerned.

jtb

Banned
Do You Like Prince Movies was always the superior pop culture podcast to Hollywood Prospectus anyways.

And the BvS discussion was an honest reaction that many people have. They mirror my own reasons why I don't want to see that movie. That's a fine conversation to have.

To me it felt more like they were critiquing the movie without having actually seen the movie. And I agree with the hate the movie is getting, it's garbage, but I don't understand critics talking about a movie they have yet to see.

(And maybe I'm wrong, did Chris see it, but Andy didn't? I can't remember now. Regardless, even though the movie is long, I think they can both carve out the time to see it before discussing it on the podcast.)

Gigglepoo

To me it felt more like they were critiquing the movie without having actually seen the movie. And I agree with the hate the movie is getting, it's garbage, but I don't understand critics talking about a movie they have yet to see.

(And maybe I'm wrong, did Chris see it, but Andy didn't? I can't remember now. Regardless, even though the movie is long, I think they can both carve out the time to see it before discussing it on the podcast.)

Just wait ten months for Greenwald to catch it on a flight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I thought they were going to do a Friday NBA pod if they got enough new followers on Ringer or whatever. Dang. Would be a really good time for one.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons Mar 31
If @ringer gets to 200k followers by midnight = Friday NBA pod. 225k by midnight = video of my son doing 30 WWE finishing moves in 4 mins.
1,194 retweets 1,384 likes

Edit:

woohoo!
New BS Pod: Diana Taurasi on UConn's run, GSW + Russell/Lakers, then Sources Say w/ @julietlitman + @ChrisRyan77 soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmo…

Gigglepoo

NFL Podcast is out with THE ROBERT MAYS and Mallory Rubin

It's kind of excellent? Barnwell knows more about football than any writer but he was kind of glum. Mallory knows her stuff and is bursting with enthusiasm. This might be a better pairing. Their arguments about the best QB and WRs were fascinating, even though I don't know any of the people they're talking about.

It's kind of excellent? Barnwell knows more about football than any writer but he was kind of glum. Mallory knows her stuff and is bursting with enthusiasm. This might be a better pairing. Their arguments about the best QB and WRs were fascinating, even though I don't know any of the people they're talking about.

it was glorious im just waiting for the mays offensive line deep dive.

ryseing

Mal is one of the best hosts they have. Will give this a listen even though I try to avoid draft talk.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Aww man I totally need to listen to this. Forgot that Rubin was the guest I really liked from Juliet's Bachelor pods. I'm 100% on board with you about Mays + Barnwell. They were so low-energy that I just bailed on their pod even though they usually had decent insights.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Couple quick notes:

-Taurasi was really good. Give that pod a listen even if you have zero interest in women's hoops.
-Rubin draft pod had like 2.5 minutes of ads before it started. Gotta pay the bills but I think I'm gonna have to tweak my Pocket Casts settings. :p

jay23

Bill trolling at wrestlemania yesterday lol with Cousin Sal in the back. I'm expecting a podcast about how they tried to stay at Tony Romos house or something.

ytAo7oS.jpg

Curufinwe

Ever since the season 4 finale their GoT coverage has had an unpleasant edge to it with a lot of unfounded, borderline personal criticism of the show runners. Greenwald probably still believes
Tyrion killing Shae
was invented by Benioff and Weiss because they're women-hating sadists. For whatever reason they like to think things on the show that upset them and aren't part of a "modern story" were just done for shock value, and either weren't in the books or were amped up from what happened in the books.

ryseing

Addendum on the latest Jam Session pod. Amanda Dobbins has terrible taste in men.

#supportmalebimbos

(I thought Cavill was great in Tudors/UNCLE)

Ever since the season 4 finale their GoT coverage has had an unpleasant edge to it with a lot of unfounded, borderline personal criticism of the show runners. Greenwald probably still believes
Tyrion killing Shae
was invented by Benioff and Weiss because they're women-hating sadists. For whatever reason they like to think things on the show that upset them and aren't part of a "modern story" were just done for shock value, and either weren't in the books or were amped up from what happened in the books.

They were far more positive on S5 than the fans were. Greenwald at one point last season said it was the best so far. Anyway, let's be honest- nobody's watching this for Chris/Andy. Mal/Jason made WTT worth the listen and I fully expect that to be the case here.

gazele

Banned
I have to imagine that since this will be on HBO proper that they will be giving the show a massive benefit of the doubt

Plus they love the idea that the show is ahead of the books

Curufinwe

#supportmalebimbos

(I thought Cavill was great in Tudors/UNCLE)

They were far more positive on S5 than the fans were. Greenwald at one point last season said it was the best so far. Anyway, let's be honest- nobody's watching this for Chris/Andy. Mal/Jason made WTT worth the listen and I fully expect that to be the case here.

I thought Jason might want to quit talking about the show when his man went down in a blaze of glory, hehe.

ryseing

And Tate was focused and had good questions! A far cry from the Chris Nolan pod.

The discussion on one and dones was quite interesting, especially with Brown mentioning his personal experience with Emmanuel Mudiay and the fact that he went to China instead of college. I think adopting the MLB model of coming out from high school or three years in college would be best for all parties. The true phenoms could go and get paid right away and high major college basketball would have more upperclassmen which, as we have seen from this tourney, generally leads to higher quality of play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pivot podcast is quite good so far. Really loving the quality of most of these recent podcasts -- gives me a lot more choices now. Kind of like Simbo I think anything Mallory Rubin is on listenable.

re Shoemaker wow, they really are completely putting Grantland back together. I always liked Shoemaker OK but that other guy on the pod was super annoying so hopefully they keep it at that.

Now I just wish they'd get an MMA guy or two, like maybe the guys from the Co Main Event podcast. :D

Shoemaker is a good get, sadly I haven't been keeping up with his writing as much since he was writing on the site proper (or he hasn't been writing as much).

Can't wait for The Ringer to get a proper site.

seanoff

for a guy ESPN painted as hard to work with and a diva.

it appears people that have worked for him are more than prepared to move jobs to continue to work with him.

this doesn't usually happen with bosses who are difficult.

maybe he isn't great at managing up?

it appears people that have worked for him are more than prepared to move jobs to continue to work with him.

Pretty much everyone who worked at Grantland spoke of how great Simmons was to work for.

Yeah, it definitely seems like people love the environment and love working for him. I think the diva aspect was solely focused on the relationship between Simmons and ESPN, and for the most part ESPN has come out looking worse.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Simmons is DEFINITELY a diva. At ESPN he got near total editorial freedom, an expensive vanity site, executive produced documentaries, and a very large paycheck. Every columnist in the country would kill to get what he had. And yet he complained constantly about how he didn't get "support." On ep 1 of his new pod he was complaining about how ESPN didn't let him run enough ads, kind of weird that he was so mad about not getting a chance to plug Me Undies and Squarespace. He also has a thin skin and lashes out at any criticism.

That said he's undeniably a very good boss. The people who worked for him want to do so, and even the guys who aren't coming back (Lowe, Browne, Morris) keep in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom