• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

Persona7

Banned
I take it Amazon is still not directly carrying Nintendo systems.

They have been selling 3DS systems for a while after that huge period where they refused to carry them. Amazon even got a exclusive limited edition green New XL a few months ago.

Retrobox

I strongly believe Nintendo is completely paranoid about not having another Wii U situation where hardware is just sitting on shelves. I remember on Wii U launch day walking into a Wal Mart and just seeing them sitting on shelves.

They want that Wii launch frenzy back. They want "NEW NINTENDO SYSTEM COMPLETELY SOLD OUT, IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN STORES" to flood the internet and social media. We got a taste of it with the NES Classic. If that means shipping less consoles at launch to jump start that hype effect, then so be it.

I actually think you are 100% on the money with this.

Given Nintendo's history with hardware launches, especially recently, I can't begrudge anyone wanting a Switch at launch for being legit shook.

Ouroboros

I'll be on vacation during their Switch Direct later this week. I really hope pre-orders aren't the next day or else I'll only have my mobile phone to preorder with. Not a good thing!

jonno394

I'll be pre-ordering at Amazon this time. Always pre-ordered at GAME and collected at launch before. Worried that Amazon might mess up my launch day record for Nintendo home consoles :/

I pre-ordered a NES Mini from them and got it day 1 though, so that's a good sign.

weekev

Banned
Mines is preordered from Game in the UK already. Could be a risky move but my local Game have always been really good with anything limited stock wise so I hold out hope ill be fine for a midnight release unit.

Good luck GAF.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Last time I pre-ordered from Best Buy, I'm pretty sure they charged me as soon as I put the order in.

Best Buy puts a hold on your card until shipment but not an actual charge.

HeySeuss

It seems like Nintendo is going to do the same bullshit that they did with the Wii in that they will artificially keep supply low, get scalping prices ridiculously high.

Not falling for it.

They did not make the Wii scarce due to keeping the supply low. The demand for that console was unprecedented and they sold more consoles than any console ever made. They did everything they could to KEEP UP with demand and they had a hard time.

They anticipated the same demand for the WiiU and we're left with stockpiles of inventory that took years to sell. The NES mini was just a quick cash grab for an otherwise barren holiday output. So they didn't really care if they made enough because they damn sure weren't going to make more than they could sell and have them sitting around in a warehouse collecting dust if they weren't as popular as they forecasted.

So it's not a stretch to understand why Nintendo would play it conservative to see how demand for the console is a few months after launch so they don't repeat the WiiU disaster again. It's smart business, not creating an artificial shortage. I wish this stupid narrative would go away, especially when if you look at it from a business standpoint it makes absolutely no sense to do that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Again the bigger issue is how soon the turnaround is in terms of restocking.

This.

Not getting one Day or or even the first week without preorders is more or less expected. The question is will you have to wait 1-2 or 1-2 months for the next shipments. If its the latter...then Nintendo screwed up.

Plum

Mines is preordered from Game in the UK already. Could be a risky move but my local Game have always been really good with anything limited stock wise so I hold out hope ill be fine for a midnight release unit.

Good luck GAF.

I'm still deliberating on where to preorder mine. Apparently Tesco won't do preorders to collect in store so I think my best bet may be to get it from Amazon and have it delivered to a local pick up point (as I've had some difficulties with my current address).

Persona7

Banned
Again the bigger issue is how soon the turnaround is in terms of restocking.

a2OU9La.jpg

Hopefully not too long.

Rootbeer

Banned
3DS is winding down significantly, and Wii U is dead in the water. Nintendo needs to get boatloads of these into hands and fast, so they can start raking in $$$ from software. I just can't believe that they will be super limited. It's an incredibly huge failing if so :(

Hope I can get one on launch day. By hell or high water!

MADGAME

Took Friday off to watch the reveal, enjoy the Treehouse, and fingerbang my F5 key just the way it likes it.

As someone in the Caribbean who is relying on Amazon as the only real option, I just want to be sure:

Amazon doesn't charge anything until the item is ready to ship, correct?

Oregano

I'm still deliberating on where to preorder mine. Apparently Tesco won't do preorders to collect in store so I think my best bet may be to get it from Amazon and have it delivered to a local pick up point (as I've had some difficulties with my current address).

I'm planning on preordering from the Nintendo UK Store. They've been super reliable for me, even received my N3DS a day early.

Rootbeer

Banned
Took Friday off to watch the reveal, enjoy the Treehouse, and fingerbang my F5 key just the way it likes it.

Thankfully off work that day... just gonna stay home and bend my entire will towards securing one. Pre-orders better go up within 24 hours of the event... that's all I gotta say T__T

Persona7

Banned
As someone in the Caribbean who is relying on Amazon as the only real option, I just want to be sure:

Amazon doesn't charge anything until the item is ready to ship, correct?

Correct. They charge while the item is being prepped and ready to be scanned into the mail system. Typically one or two days before official release date. If there is a slight delay then the charge will be delayed as well.

Plum

I'm planning on preordering from the Nintendo UK Store. They've been super reliable for me, even received my N3DS a day early.

That's an idea. No harm in trying both as I'm assuming neither charge until they get dispatched. Though delivery may be an issue.

BriGuy

Why do distribution problems seem to plague Nintendo exclusively? I remember struggling with them for something or other pretty much every year since Super Mario 2 came out. The other guys seem to get their stock situations sorted out in relatively short order, and the only other notable console shortage (the PS2 at launch) had documented and credible reasons for the delay. With Nintendo, it always seems to be a case of "whelp!" like they're taken by surprise.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As I suspected. Nintendo's going to play the manufactured shortage game like they're doing with the Mini NES.

They'll be able to create hysteria among Nintendo fans which will spill over to people who weren't planning on getting one, but better do so because they're sought after. Sure beats the embarrassment of Wii U/3DS systems sitting on shelves at that their launches.

I hope Amazon or Best Buy will have preorders open. At the very least I hope we can get a confirmation on when preorders are going live in the first place.

I am planning on putting in two preorders, but kind of want to hit Best Buy the night before for the line. It sounds a bit silly, but I really like that experience. :)

Chairhome

Thread title change request: "GoNintendo has friend who works at Gamestop that will only have 20 units of Switch Preorders"

Oregano

That's an idea. No harm in trying both as I'm assuming neither charge until they get dispatched. Though delivery may be an issue.

Yeah, I'll probably put in an Amazon order too just in case.

Hoping the Nintendo store decides to throw in some extras though.

Fred-87

Its GoNintendo. They haven't been reliable for ages.

Their ''insider'' stores is bullshit most likely.

What you talk about, they are reliable

Thread title change request: "GoNintendo has friend who works at Gamestop that will only have 20 units of Switch Preorders"
You dont know what you talk about. Gonintendo owner has a lot of contacts and friends in the industry on the nintendo side.

I strongly believe Nintendo is completely paranoid about not having another Wii U situation where hardware is just sitting on shelves. I remember on Wii U launch day walking into a Wal Mart and just seeing them sitting on shelves.

They want that Wii launch frenzy back. They want "NEW NINTENDO SYSTEM COMPLETELY SOLD OUT, IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN STORES" to flood the internet and social media. We got a taste of it with the NES Classic. If that means shipping less consoles at launch to jump start that hype effect, then so be it.

I was also thinking perhaps Gamestop has been a poor mover of units for Nintendo so they're not going to give them a lot of units.

Nintendo of America is downright bad at working with their retail partners to estimate demand. There is no other explanation for them so consistently missing shipment targets both over and under by such baffling degrees.

Lgndryhr

I plan on pre-ordering from Best Buy so hope it is a bit easier. In all honesty though, I fully expect this launch to be similar to the NES Classic and Wii.

Soroc

Love how everyone is blaming Nintendo. It could perhaps be a Gamestop issue, maybe they don't want many units b/c they don't believe in the product or believe they have many Nintendo customers anymore.

Vice versa, Nintendo might look at the data and see that Gamestop Nintendo customers are a very small % of total Nintendo sales and would rather distribute units to their bigger % demographics like Target.

Falchion

I was planning on going to my Gamestop on Friday after work to pre-order, I'll be pissed of that is too late and I miss out.

20cent

Banned
Then that will end like most stuff I want that are scalped and hard to do find in the first month, once the hype is gone-> no buy

Your loss.

akileese

Love how everyone is blaming Nintendo. It could perhaps be a Gamestop issue, maybe they don't want many units b/c they don't believe in the product or believe they have many Nintendo customers anymore.

Vice versa, Nintendo might look at the data and see that Gamestop Nintendo customers are a very small % of total Nintendo sales and would rather distribute units to their bigger % demographics like Target.

Aye. It's interesting they say "gamestop" but don't mention anything about online, other big box retailers, etc. There may be more factors at play here.

Still, it's a new piece of must have hardware. Unless it bombs hard, they're always difficult to get at launch and during the launch window.

Gamestop is still the biggest gaming sorce in Na regardless of their decline. Giving a bigger stock to Target of all places would be idiotic

Top Bottom