• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron: "I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Banned
New York Times has a new interview with James Cameron, where he said that he's doing nothing but Avatar sequels (and documentaries) from here on out. Seems Battle Angel is officially dead then?

NY Times: What about scripts that you’re looking at? Is there a project that you’re working on right now? Or subject matters or general areas of interest that you’re looking at?

Cameron: That’s interesting. I’ve divided my time over the last 16 years over deep ocean exploration and filmmaking. I’ve made two movies in 16 years, and I’ve done eight expeditions. Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the “Avatar” business. Period. That’s it. I’m making “Avatar 2,” “Avatar 3,” maybe “Avatar 4,” and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the “Avatar” landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it. And doing it in an entertaining way. And anything I can’t say in that area, I want to say through documentaries, which I’m continuing. I’ve done five documentaries in the last 10 years, and I’ll hopefully do a lot more. In fact, I’m doing one right now, which is on this, the Deep Sea Challenge project that we just completed the first expedition. So that’ll be a film that’ll get made this year and come out first quarter of next year.

Full interview.

Dany

Banned
How can he make a sequel to Avatar when there was no sequel to Pocahontas.

220px-PIIJTANW.jpg

Vega

Meh. whatever. I'm not a fan of Avatar at all but I appreciate what he's done for the movie-making industry. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants.

Zoc

His deep sea documentaries and expeditions would be much more interesting if he didn't always sit in the pilot seat of his own subs. It makes the whole thing look like a vanity project.

I posted this in the Avatar thread earlier today and we've been discussing it in there.

OP is being misleading with the selective quoting in the title.

He's saying that he's canceled his development arm of projects that aren't for himself. Eg: Fantastic Voyage. He only ever directs movies he himself writes and for now that means the Avatar sequels are the only films he's interested in for the time being.

Does that mean Battle Angel will never happen? No. But the mention of the possibility of a fourth Avatar film certainly made me groan.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Anyone watch the Battle Angel anime? I'm not sure how I ended up watching it, but I watched it and it was one of the most depressing things I'd ever seen in my life up to that point. It made me want to kill myself.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
"I don't like making movies, I just want the movie to do my documentaries and science stuff, so I'll make a bunch of Avatars."

Canuck76

Banned
James come on bro. Y'all ready got money. Why not do creative stuff man? Do the battle angel, take a script, do something new for godsakes.

Who else will at this point?

Please James your the last hope this industry has for new IP.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Heh, at least I can look forward to the documentaries. By the way, anything transpired from his latest expedition?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'd had enough of Avatar after 15 minutes.

Can't imagine what he's going to do to flesh that world out for 4 films now he's done the man versus nature storyline. Then again there's a lot more 70's prog-rock album covers to look at for inspiration.

I was hoping he would be working on a True Lies reboot with a new lead and an actress to play Harry's wife who doesn't look like a man. Keep Paxton though.

Angry Fork

I'm all for making the world a better place but come on. If you're gonna make movies don't make them pseudo-environmental documentaries for the sake of pushing an agenda (even though I agree with it). And if you want to pimp exploration do space exploration films which are in much more dire need of a restoration than ocean exploring imo.

Rootbeer

Banned
I like the sound of it. It's good to see Cameron devoting himself fully to his own films for a while. It's easy to find faults in Avatar, but it set a solid groundwork and hopefully the subsequent films can build some greater stories from it. If nothing else they should be stunning to behold, and I'll be first in line.

Just hope Cameron has take some of the criticism to heart on the first film instead of brushing it off like we see Lucas and Bay doing.

I was hoping he would be working on a True Lies reboot with a new lead and an actress to play Harry's wife who doesn't look like a man. Keep Paxton though.

About a year ago there was actually real talk about a True Lies TV series coming. And no, I'm not talking about the rip off. Cameron was going to be a producer.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Talk about a universe I couldn't give two shits about. Its too bad it'll still make gangbusters but I think I'll opt out next time. You can only vote with your money, the drop in the bucket that is.

Cipherr

3 more movies?
what can they even do with the plot?

Well, step one would be to get an actual plot. A decent one not used a billion times over I mean. I personally cannot wait. I assume they did Jake Sully meets Fern Gully because it was the first film, I expect something new and fresh for the sequels.

iammeiam

Talk about a universe I couldn't give two shits about. Its too bad it'll still make gangbusters but I think I'll opt out next time. You can only vote with your money, the drop in the bucket that is.

Maybe he'll genre-shift. Two can be an intense political thriller, three can be a wacky fish-out-of-water romcom about a human girl and a Na'vi guy, and four can be the Battle Angel reboot. Just with cat people.

I do have to say that I'm constantly dumbfounded at the people who say 'What else is there to do in that universe?'

How shitty is your imagination when a universe like the one presented in Avatar only has the potential for the story we've already seen told?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I'm hoping Prometheus comes out and kicks so much ass it gets Cameron inspired enough to one-up Ridley again.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Maybe he'll genre-shift. Two can be an intense political thriller, three can be a wacky fish-out-of-water romcom about a human girl and a Na'vi guy, and four can be the Battle Angel reboot. Just with cat people.
I want an Avatar dance movie. Avatar 2 : Electric Boogaloo. MAKE IT SO CAMERON!
I do have to say that I'm constantly dumbfounded at the people who say 'What else is there to do in that universe?'

How shitty is your imagination when a universe like the one presented in Avatar only has the potential for the story we've already seen told?
After watching Avatar I was wondering how shitty was Cameron's imagination... to waste a cool setting like that with hippie tripe? That's what makes me uninterested in Avatar 2 to 69 really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom