• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

Caayn

I don't know how I can make this any clearer to you. I said "they're irreverent to the comparison of multi-tasking with Snap versus multitasking with a tablet/PC"

There's no difference in using voice chat when you're using Snap or when you're using a tablet to watch chat. Voice chat behaves the same. It works with either. Using Snap will not make using voice chat better. It is therefore irrelevant to the comparison. To the comparison, not in general, just to the comparison.
Are you truly that dense?
With snap you can keep your eyes on the same screen. And directly respond, without letting go of your controller, via voice.
With a tablet/laptop you need to move your eyes away from your screen towards your laptop/tablet, temporarily losing sight of everything that happens in the game. Here to you can directly respond via voice, but not without to added trade off.

Both can use keyboards, and both keyboards require you to let go of your controller(unless Microsoft release a keyboard add-on like the chatpad for the Xbox 360). Both can use voice. But only snap allows you to keep your eyes on your screen and your hands on the controller at all times. And that is exactly why voice is important and cannot be left out of the equation.

Edit: Just out of curiosity. Have you pre-ordered a Xbox One or are you planning to buy one?

jem0208

playing a game on xbox live and streaming from youtube is rough on 10 megabit internet. doesn't work so well. i only have 15 megabit internet.

Oh I suppose if you were using it for that then it's definitely going to be heavy on the internet.

Raymo

Is that so? Why were people such up in arms about it then? Pausing to use a different app seems much more useful then saving a little loading time whenever you put the PS4 to sleep.

Because Sony worded it wrong. Everyone thought it was suspending the game to use different apps that was delayed.

Dukey

Banned
Is that so? Why were people such up in arms about it then? Pausing to use a different app seems much more useful then saving a little loading time whenever you put the PS4 to sleep.

Sleep-resume is something they pushed back in Feb. To not have it nearly a year later is questionable I guess. Personally it's a feature I'll use more than app-switching. The ability to pause my game, sleep the console then come right back to where I was the next day is a system-selling feature imo. Especially with load times the way they are.

Are you truly that dense?
With snap you can keep your eyes on the same screen. And directly respond, without letting go of your controller, via voice.
With a tablet/laptop you need to move your eyes away from your screen towards your laptop/tablet, temporarily losing sight of everything that happens in the game. Here to you can directly respond via voice, but not without to added trade off.

Both can use keyboards, and both keyboards require you to let go of your controller(unless Microsoft release a keyboard add-on like the chatpad for the Xbox 360). Both can use voice. But only snap allows you to keep your eyes on your screen and your hands on the controller at all times. And that is exactly why voice is important and cannot be left out of the equation.

Edit: Just out of curiosity. Have you pre-ordered a Xbox One or are you planning to buy one?

That's why I mentioned that as an advantage in my original post-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88485137&postcount=713

Feel free to go back and read it if you're not too busy.

Voice chat itself remains unchanged though, it's only the method/ease of reading the viewer chat that's easier with snap.

Sleep-resume is something they pushed back in Feb. To not have it nearly a year later is questionable I guess. Personally it's a feature I'll use more than app-switching. The ability to pause my game, sleep the console then come right back to where I was the next day is a system-selling feature imo. Especially with load times the way they are.

I don't consider load-times bad enough to call that a system seller myself. App switching is though. To each his own.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They'll be better than current gen though, won't they? I thought it was only the very first load that would take a while, with quick startups afterwards.

playing single player sequentially maybe

multiplayer though? Or random single player? Gonna be ugly

They'll be better than current gen though, won't they? I thought it was only the very first load that would take a while, with quick startups afterwards.

maybe slightly better since both systems load from HDD now, but still 5GB of RAM takes a long time to fill up. So I don't expect things to be too much improved in this department, sadly.

Chumpion

so its a mock-up?
and what do you mean "it makes no difference what it is, only what people perceive it to be"?
you are aware that in less than 20 days this thing will be in the hands of the consumers, right?

No it's probably real. I was merely illustrating the mindset of the soul sucking vampires at MS. Control the message and you control reality, both horizontal and vertical.

The snap feature is consistent with the broad entertainment focus of XB1. Like Kinect, it's also a feature the consumer has to pay for, as it requires some CPU and GPU resources.

p3tran

Banned
No it's probably real. I was merely illustrating the mindset of the soul sucking vampires at MS. Control the message and you control reality, both horizontal and vertical.

The snap feature is consistent with the broad entertainment focus of XB1. Like Kinect, it's also a feature the consumer has to pay for, as it requires some CPU and GPU resources.

well, I guess that thingy i bolded on your post, it did not really work out for them now, did it?

I mean, they had to do more somersaults and flik-flaks than Nadia Comaneci ;)

and still they will be punished for being assholes...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Why do you say that?

well because they need to cache everything in memory

but you can't cache a good chunk of things

for example... They could cache your character and the AI characters but everything else is kinda hard when you're managing space in a random access environment

in sequence, you could plan ahead and purge assets/load the next relevant assets for seamless play

now in random access... Good chance a lot of stuff isn't cached, so that 1-5 GB has to load

initial load is going to he a damned pain in the ass especially for open world games... This is why suspend/resume and low power state/always on systems are needed and why solid state drives need to hurry the hell up (hopefully next flash jump will bring the $/GB close enough to be feasible in a console... )

T.O.P

Banned
In this thread, many people get angry about a feature they don't want on a system they're not buying.

tumblr_inline_mrnhbzuUDS1qz4rgp.gif

well because they need to cache everything in memory

but you can't cache a good chunk of things

for example... They could cache your character and the AI characters but everything else is kinda hard when you're managing space in a random access environment

in sequence, you could plan ahead and purge assets/load the next relevant assets for seamless play

now in random access... Good chance a lot of stuff isn't cached, so that 1-5 GB has to load

initial load is going to he a damned pain in the ass especially for open world games... This is why suspend/resume and low power state/always on systems are needed and why solid state drives need to hurry the hell up (hopefully next flash jump will bring the $/GB close enough to be feasible in a console... )

Yeah I guees that's true. Harddrives are really starting to become a bottleneck.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So a cold boot on an old build takes roughly 30 seconds. Hope that they add some sort of animation for a cold boot, even a tiny loading icon would suffice.

Looks like developer SDK, so it may be different than retail. As in it could be loading more stuff in the background, or the logo could be a placeholder and not a final one.

And another with the dash + app snap not soo smooth (same old build)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hTsa27B-0I

So safe to say, rumors were true somewhat.

That's somewhat of an exaggeration. The game continued to operate without fault, as did the browser. The only thing that had a problem with the flash containing, and they're notoriously difficult. I was actually impressed with how the rap battle sound and the game sound played together without problem.

There's a difference between unoptimized and slow, and broken to the point of crashing the system.

Exactly, this is no where near what the "insiders" were suggesting.

Top Bottom