• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

I want them to confirm the Sky app on 360 is coming to Xbox One. If I can have some football or something on the app if I want to watch a match that would be cool. Also if I was watching a match, it would be easy for me to switch to play the game, leave the app snapped to the screen so I can listen to half-time analysis then go back when it starts again.

Or cricket, would make some test matches much easier to watch if I could play Xbox on the same screen as well!

The possibilities are quite cool they just need to get them in there.

Why not just put your sky box into the bone and snap the native output? Seems that is what it is meant for.

Entrecôte;88395677 said:
Why not just put your sky box into the bone and snap the native output? Seems that is what it is meant for.

The box is downstairs so that my parents can watch it and i'd rather not pay extra per month to have the multi room. I have access to SkyGo which I watch on my 360

Exactly how many people play a game during fitness exercises? It's not like playing with a controller when on an exercise bike, which is totally doable. In any case, this is an extreme niche.

Done in a much easier fashion with your phone or tablet, text entry on a console is a pain in the ass, and no, voice recognition won't make it easier and more reliable.

Not only switching inputs isn't that hard, but what you said can be accomplished in a much more comfortable way with remote play and Vita. You won't even have to snap anything.

You don't read my post before you responded with your canned answers. I'm too stubborn to let it go.

#1 was fitness+TV, not fitness+gaming

#2 both ways work but as an achievement whore, it would be nice to have it up on the TV instead of having to control two devices and look at two places. Once the video is up, it's much easier to mimic the actions if both sources are on the same screen.

#3 what the fuck does Vita have to do with Xbox One? You're just trying to instigate a console war. Both Vita+TV and snap+TV accomplish the same thing, but only one is possible on each system. There is an advantage to seeing both at once, though. Your eyes can't focus on Vita+TV at the same time.

LTWheels

Entrecôte;88395677 said:

I assume that he uses his xbox like a second sky box for another room, like I do.

Also my sky box is old and doesn't have access to the on demand stuff. Sky want £100 to replace it with a new box...the bloody cheek.

Tellaerin

AGXx1Hy.jpg

Taking design cues from Gunstar Heroes? >.>

Gunstar_Heroes_%2528Gen%2529_35.png

coldfoot

Banned
So taking out a phone or tablet, opening an app, typing, and then pressing play is faster than starting things up with simple/basic voice commands? Did you see the machinima app?
How are you going to spell xbfdy420x's channel with voice commands faster than typing them?

Snap is definitely not responsible. I don't even believe ESRAM in itself is the cause either. I mean, sure, it has to be a part of it, but when developers get better accustomed to the system, things will likely improve, but 1080p likely won't necessarily always be ideal, and that's not due to ESRAM. I think that's due to the raw power of the GPU itself, and the fact that developers will want a certain level of graphics from their games. Nothing at all stops devs for going for lesser overall graphics quality to make their games 1080p, but some, if not most, won't be willing to do that. And I hope they won't be willing to do that. It's easier to do that on the PS4, because it has such a powerful GPU with a memory system that's easier to work with.

Devs will just target a lower resolution on the Xbox One, and then from there, make their game look as amazing as possible.
rawpower doesn't really determine what level of texture fidelity you can output. Ram is the big kicker and if they're having trouble with the ESRAM since it's a more complicated way to store things. Then it could be an issue in keeping a stable framerate. It's memory pool isn't unified like the PS4 and so that certainly could be causing trouble.

So many people are forgetting that at the start of this current generation we were running games in 480!!! 480!! People!

Looks good. I'm really digging this.. However, this Gaf hating in the comment section? Straight McDonald's French fries.. My goodness. Gaf has really become popular

Bgamer90

Banned
How are you going to spell xbfdy420x's channel with voice commands faster than typing them?

Channel names like that are a good point but it's not the only way to do searching on video sites. A simple "(name of game)" + "(name of character or level) tips" should work in most cases.

I google nearly every single video I need. Bing would actually be good for that. Why are you here again? To shit on every use case that isn't yours?

You are the reason shit is so toxic around here. You have no interest in this product yet you are here telling people that what they are excited about is dumb and/or wrong.

Fuck that.

::scratches head::

What games were in 480p? Don't remember any.

look at the back at some old games like uncharted one, it should say 480. They had to have that as a definition because 720 and 1080 were pretty new at the start generation. Though I believe the game is native 720.

So taking out a phone or tablet, opening an app, typing, and then pressing play is faster than starting things up with simple/basic voice commands? Did you see the machinima app?

And having the video on the same screen seems to be more ideal for gaming tips than looking up and down at a tablet or phone -- at least IMO; Makes things easier to follow.

Depends on what the person wants to do and/or what he/she is playing.

The annoying thing about these threads is that people talk as if what's best for them is best for everyone else in every situation.

People are just pointing out that we live in a time where it's already quick and convenient to do the same things that snap is showing. If things like laptops, tablets and smartphones weren't so prevalent then this would be a much more interesting feature. Had this been a "free" feature it wouldn't be a problem at all, but it's not, every bit of CPU/GPU or RAM that snap requires gets taken away from what the games get, and that's going to affect the console it's entire 5+ year lifesnap. So it's a questionable if a load-heavy feature like this is really necessary.

People are just pointing out that we live in a time where it's already quick and convenient to do the same things that snap is showing. If things like laptops, tablets and smartphones weren't so prevalent then this would be a much more interesting feature. Had this been a "free" feature it wouldn't be a problem at all, but it's not, every bit of CPU/GPU or RAM that snap requires gets taken away from what the games get, and that's going to affect the console it's entire 5+ year lifesnap. So it's a questionable if a load-heavy feature like this is really necessary.

I wish that MS would have cranked up the specs to compensate. And yet they did the opposite. That's why I'm starting this gen with my multiplatforms on PS4. Xbox One has work to do to win me back for anything other than exclusives.

I like the innovation, though. It makes this gen feel more exciting than it would otherwise. PS4 is a lot more boring box out of the gate since it's coolest new features aren't coming until next year.

You can't display them at the same time, but you can suspend the game in the background and use apps along with it.

I thought that was one of the things not there for PS4 launch? has this ever been demonstrated? has it even been announced? I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but there's been nothing to suggest this feature (and no, just because Vita does it doesn't automatically mean PS4 does it).

killatopak

I thought that was one of the things not there for PS4 launch? has this ever been demonstrated? has it even been announced? I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but there's been nothing to suggest this feature (and no, just because Vita does it doesn't automatically mean PS4 does it).

The one not included at launch would be the suspend/resume feature which is turning off your PS4 then when you turn it back on the game would still be there. They're not the same as switching apps on a powered on PS4.

rawpower doesn't really determine what level of texture fidelity you can output. Ram is the big kicker and if they're having trouble with the ESRAM since it's a more complicated way to store things. Then it could be an issue in keeping a stable framerate. It's memory pool isn't unified like the PS4 and so that certainly could be causing trouble.

So many people are forgetting that at the start of this current generation we were running games in 480!!! 480!! People!

I don't get it, why does bf4 have the same textures on both ps4 and xbox one when dice said they weren't gimping any console?

Ps4 even has trouble materializing some textures according to DF.

I google nearly every single video I need. Bing would actually be good for that. Why are you here again? To shit on every use case that isn't yours?

You are the reason shit is so toxic around here. You have no interest in this product yet you are here telling people that what they are excited about is dumb and/or wrong.

Fuck that.

Well said. There seems to be a lot of people on these forums who can't seem to accept the value in something because it doesn't suit them, and must insist on debunking it, that's probably why those commenters are going mad on youtube.

On a side note, what's with the pay wall digs every single time xbox one apps are mentioned. Lets be honest, only a handful, if anyone from this forum will have an xbox one without gold anyway. The paywall digs were irrelevant anyway, the apps weren't working because you weren't signed into a Microsoft account (they're free) not because you weren't signed into an xbox live gold account.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Woah, snapping an achievement list next to the game? Now that is something I really want to see.

killatopak

Well said. There seems to be a lot of people on these forums who can't seem to accept the value in something because it doesn't suit them, and must insist on debunking it, that's probably why those commenters are going mad on youtube.

On a side note, what's with the pay wall digs every single time xbox one apps are mentioned. Lets be honest, only a handful, if anyone from this forum will have an xbox one without gold anyway. The paywall digs were irrelevant anyway, the apps weren't working because you weren't signed into a Microsoft account (they're free) not because you weren't signed into an xbox live gold account.

The key phrase is "on this forum".

50% of current Xbox users don't have LIVE Gold.

Troll

Banned

Fuck that.

CouldBeWorse
(Today, 07:31 PM)

doemaaan

lol, top youtube comment. sorry if old.
Funny thing about NeoGAF is that they make fun of nutjobs like misterxmedia without realising they're religiously following nutjobs on their forums who make educated guessed and get some things right and a lot of things wrong or pick up and connect the dots (CBOAT) and fame whores like thuway and famousmortimer, who I might add already has his 15 minutes and keeps coming back for more, the pathetic fuck.

So in my case should I have sat on the info and then at launch if it didn't work I go make a post that says "oh, btw guys, I heard a month ago that XBL is fucked."

Because that's useful...

If they fix this shit before launch that's good. There seems to be some sort of Us vs Them thing going on right now with rabid microsoft fanboys thinking I'm trying to destroy their system. I don't give a shit what system anyone buys. I don't give a shit which one sells more... I don't own stock in either company. I report shit as i hear it. Including good news like Insomniac being on stage with MS at E3. And bad news for Sony like Driveclub getting bumped and Knack not being 60fps. But since my most recent news is negative about the xbox I'm like public enemy number one. People are going fucking insane on me. Nonstop... im a f*ggot, im fat, my wife is a tranny, fucking death threats... because I heard from a few devs that XBL is fucked. Jesus christ!

You're throwing raw meat into a pack of hungry wolves. The bloodthirst for all (bad) things Xbox seems to be at an all time high.

This is a bit unprecedented since, when the previous generation launched, there were all kinds of things broken weeks before launch and the launches went ok for the most part. It puts the reps from the respective companies in a tough spot having to *prove* that something isn't going to be broken for launch when people would otherwise never have been the wiser about it. I'm not sure how I feel about that, tbh.

Woah, snapping an achievement list next to the game? Now that is something I really want to see.

Snapping a "how to" achievement video is the real killer app. It would make finding all the jumps or doodads in the next GTA even easier! It was a pain to keep looking up and down, pausing and restarting.

The one not included at launch would be the suspend/resume feature which is turning off your PS4 then when you turn it back on the game would still be there. They're not the same as switching apps on a powered on PS4.

ok I must have misinterpreted that. but still, has app switching been announced and/or demonstrated? this close to launch, it seems like someone ought to have seen it by now if that were the case,

I wish that MS would have cranked up the specs to compensate. And yet they did the opposite. That's why I'm starting this gen with my multiplatforms on PS4. Xbox One has work to do to win me back for anything other than exclusives.

I like the innovation, though. It makes this gen feel more exciting than it would otherwise. PS4 is a lot more boring box out of the gate since it's coolest new features aren't coming until next year.

Microsoft was never trying to target the highest level of graphics they could. They said it themselevs. The XB1 was clearly designed -hardware wise- from the Kinect up, and -software wise- as a trojan horse to leash together all their other (failing) products- surface and windows mobile. Sony probably surprised them by how high-end they went, but MS was probably never expecting parity, or they were expecting/hoping Sony would Kutaragiy the PS4 and build some strange hard to develop for console again.

ok I must have misinterpreted that. but still, has app switching been announced and/or demonstrated? this close to launch, it seems like someone ought to have seen it by now if that were the case,

I thought that yosp demoed that live? It's definitely in for day one, though I haven't seen a great video showing it off.

I thought that yosp demoed that live? It's definitely in for day one, though I haven't seen a great video showing it off.

That demo wasn't quite what I was thinking about. I wanted to see something like Netflix running then switch into a game, then back. Or browser to game and back. All they showed there was XMB to game, sharing with virtual keyboard and back to game.

Have they said you can do 3rd party app -> game -> app?

Mr.Speedy

Banned
So in my case should I have sat on the info and then at launch if it didn't work I go make a post that says "oh, btw guys, I heard a month ago that XBL is fucked."

Because that's useful...

If they fix this shit before launch that's good. There seems to be some sort of Us vs Them thing going on right now with rabid microsoft fanboys thinking I'm trying to destroy their system. I don't give a shit what system anyone buys. I don't give a shit which one sells more... I don't own stock in either company. I report shit as i hear it. Including good news like Insomniac being on stage with MS at E3. And bad news for Sony like Driveclub getting bumped and Knack not being 60fps. But since my most recent news is negative about the xbox I'm like public enemy number one. People are going fucking insane on me. Nonstop... im a f*ggot, im fat, my wife is a tranny, fucking death threats... because I heard from a few devs that XBL is fucked. Jesus christ!

Dude you are being waaaay too defensive calm the crap down. You confirmed everything thuway said. Thuway said the os was jacked. We haven't seen anything other than the os working. Who gives a shit what CBOAT PMed you or what thuway said. You confirmed something that is seemingly wrong. Own up to it, forget about it and go on with your life. Who cares what some pathetic fanboy says to you online. If you can't handle that than maybe it would best for you not to discuss rumors.

Microsoft was never trying to target the highest level of graphics they could. They said it themselevs. The XB1 was clearly designed -hardware wise- from the Kinect up, and -software wise- as a trojan horse to leash together all their other (failing) products- surface and windows mobile. Sony probably surprised them by how high-end they went, but MS was probably never expecting parity, or they were expecting/hoping Sony would Kutaragiy the PS4 and build some strange hard to develop for console again.

This sounds about right to me. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "Trojan horse" since it's a logical progression from 360. It's clear XB1 wants to be much more than a gaming system and if that meant sacrificing the highest specs in order to support some other scenarios, that was the gamble Microsoft went with. Whether this resonates with the general public remains to be seen. Stuff like this video seems to get people thinking, but it's way too early to draw any conclusions.

killatopak

Yep, but they argue the merits to other people on this forum, who would 99% of the same have a gold account, or get one on purchase of the xbox one anyway.

Very true.

I agree. More demos should be released. There is a demo of Shu using the app switching on the Gamescom conference while playing KZ:SF. You should watch that if you have time.

This sounds about right to me. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "Trojan horse" since it's a logical progression from 360. It's clear XB1 wants to be much more than a gaming system and if that meant sacrificing the highest specs in order to support some other scenarios, that was the gamble Microsoft went with. Whether this resonates with the general public remains to be seen. Stuff like this video seems to get people thinking, but it's way too early to draw any conclusions.

I agree completely.

jond76

Banned
I think the program was calling MS out on a buggy OS while its still in development.

I'm the Ihop insider guys, my source told me that the pancakes you're ordering tomorrow at breakfast are still just eggs and flour right now!

People just need to wait til the stuff is on their plate in front of them. If MS fucks it up, they will fail spectacularly.

Snap is definitely not responsible. I don't even believe ESRAM in itself is the cause either. I mean, sure, it has to be a part of it, but when developers get better accustomed to the system, things will likely improve, but 1080p likely won't necessarily always be ideal, and that's not due to ESRAM. I think that's due to the raw power of the GPU itself, and the fact that developers will want a certain level of graphics from their games. Nothing at all stops devs for going for lesser overall graphics quality to make their games 1080p, but some, if not most, won't be willing to do that. And I hope they won't be willing to do that. It's easier to do that on the PS4, because it has such a powerful GPU with a memory system that's easier to work with.

Devs will just target a lower resolution on the Xbox One, and then from there, make their game look as amazing as possible.

I generally agree with that assessment. But before now I've never heard people say 720 is because of snap and now that snap is being shown off people are saying... oh this is what I get for 720p... lol.

Looks really good.

I'm more excited for the PS4 overall but I can't wait to play around with the Xbone UI. Both these systems have me hyped in their own way.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Snapping a "how to" achievement video is the real killer app. It would make finding all the jumps or doodads in the next GTA even easier! It was a pain to keep looking up and down, pausing and restarting.

That sounds even better than what I had in mind. I've done that before with a laptop next to me. I am really starting to dig this snapping concept.

Top Bottom