• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Sega Spectrum?

Meelow

Banned
The title needs to be "Sega going to announce Sega Spectrum on June 12th, 2013, possibly a new console."

That would get people jumping to this thread.

But yeah I really...REALLY, doubt it's a new console, maybe another arcade machine.

The title needs to be "Sega going to announce Sega Spectrum on June 12th, 2013, possibly a new console."

That would get people jumping to this thread.

But yeah I really...REALLY, doubt it's a new console, maybe another arcade machine.

Ooooh 2 months to go. I know it's stupid to get excited but....

TEXAN

Banned
http://model4.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/sega-spectrum/#comment-312

Here’s what’s believed to be the actual specs of the Sega Spectrum Tablet console:

CPU: Toshiba Super Hitachi ARM32 SH-12 “Sakura” 12 32-bit Cores L3 Chache 2X 32MB 3.5 GHZ Clock Speed using GDDR3 and GDDR4 PC RAM 12 GBs. , 28nm 60W 384-bit.(ARM based off-the-shelf design of Intel Sandy Bridge E) 32GB Bandwidth Bus.

GPU: Nvidia “Miles Prower” Modified and customized GeForce 560 Ti GTX 384MBs of GDDR5 RAM at 6GBs. 800 MHZ clockspeed. 22nm 60W. 384-bit. Shader Model 5.0 Open GL 4.2 Open CL 1.0 Average performance of 560 GTX max performance Averaging 4GBs of RAM.

VDP: NEC Power VR 5 RL “Rouge” 384 MBs of GDDR 3 RAM at 2 GBs. 615 MHZ Clockspeed similar in performance to ATI Radeon 6220. with API: Caustic Graphics CausticOne. Open RL 1.0

RAM: 12 GB.

Sound Pioneer PCI Card 2X 64-bit. Dolby DTS Channel 5.1

Storage: 16GB or 32GBs of Internal Storage.

Connectivity: 4G or Wi-Fi.

Media: Digital Download 2GBs or Toshiba/SEGA POD(Portable Orbi Disc) Disc 32 GBs single layer, 64GB Dual Layer. With built in DVD Multi-drive. Backwards compatible with GD-ROM.

Resolution: 1080i HD.

Daingurse

tumblr_lizo6j3Bi11qzya8e.gif

I am so ready to purchase Sega hardware it's not even funny.

pikablu

Day 1 purchase. Count me in if under $1100. Sega can have all my monies. Let's make a new Ristar and Billy Hatcher game!

Clov

So this might be actual hardware then? Even if it's a tablet based portable, if it's getting a good set of exclusive games, I'm in. I've been waiting for Sega's return for so long!

sibarraz

Banned
Like the taito boards? That'd actually be pretty good overseas. The service on the taito boards is pretty good from the bits I pick up. It sounds pretty much like you download the title you want onto the board for trial and if it sells keep it after the trial by paying for it or a subscription or something. Means you buy one machine and have access to a huge library on it without changing boards. Course this is all secondhand from me though so its probably got more ins and outs than that on the taito board setup. Seemed like how it was described to me though.

Anyhow if thats what Sega Spectrum is it'd be cool in my eyes.

Also Sega isn't doing badly financially, but its not amazing enough to go for a console bid in my eyes. Keep your expectations in check Gaf. They had some impressive numbers during the THQ bankruptcy, but they still aren't big enough to go back into consoles from what I see.

I'm sure that SEGA already has a digital system for their arcades, at least guilty gear R virtua fighter 5 and under night in birth among others work on that system

If this is real forget Sony & Microsoft. Sega + Nintendo next gen, I'm gonna live in the early 90s forever. Do you guys think Nirvana's second album can possibly live up to their first?

emb

I expect this to be nothing (relevant to me). Probably an arcade board, PC hardware, or a DD platform. Whatever.

But deep down inside I believe that it's Sega's return to the console business. Believe!

If this is real forget Sony & Microsoft. Sega + Nintendo next gen, I'm gonna live in the early 90s forever. Do you guys think Nirvana's second album can possibly live up to their first?
Is this before people knew Bleach existed?

This is all a joke, right? There aren't people that actually think Sega is making a console, are there?

eastmen

Banned
Oh come on, backwards compatible with GD-ROM? Yeah right...

GD-ROM was just a cd format that could hold 1,000MB instead of 750MB. I don't think it would be very hard to support.

One of the reasons the Dreamcast died was because of how easy it was to rip the games to cd and pirate them

GD-ROM was just a cd format that could hold 1,000MB instead of 750MB. I don't think it would be very hard to support.
Maybe, but almost no CD drives support GD-ROMs... I guess a custom drive might be able to though. But you can't put a Dreamcast disc in a computer and expect it to be able to read it.

One of the reasons the Dreamcast died was because of how easy it was to rip the games to cd and pirate them
That was possible because the Dreamcast was CD (as in, audio CD) compatible, and people got in through an oversight in the CD section of the code. And it really wasn't one of the reasons why the Dreamcast died, with those sales they were doomed anyway given their financial situation... it just hurt Sega a bit.

Quackula

That was possible because the Dreamcast was CD (as in, audio CD) compatible, and people got in through an oversight in the CD section of the code. And it really wasn't one of the reasons why the Dreamcast died, with those sales they were doomed anyway given their financial situation... it just hurt Sega a bit.

Man if we were to sit here listing the reasons for why the Dreamcast died, we'd be here all day.

From what I understand, though, poor performance in Japan played a pretty huge part. It was actually doing alright here all things considered.

Daingurse

Maybe, but almost no CD drives support GD-ROMs... I guess a custom drive might be able to though. But you can't put a Dreamcast disc in a computer and expect it to be able to read it.

Pcs and even cd players could read data off a gd-rom. This could totally be legit.

Xun

Although it never would've been a new console, the image is fake.

The SEGA logo isn't right, and this goes beyond colour.

ChaosXVI

There's no way anyone seriously thinks this could be a console right? You are all seriously deluding yourselves...SEGA has said time after time that they see digital as their future for success, and boxed games have been cut to a minimum. SEGA absolutely does not have the financial resources to launch a new console without a 100% chance of bankruptcy...

Still...I'd buy it if they did. I never thought the industry would feel the same without a SEGA console, but honestly, by 2002 it seemed like most gamers I knew were pretty much passed it.

Daingurse

There's no way anyone seriously thinks this could be a console right? You are all seriously deluding yourselves...SEGA has said time after time that they see digital as their future for success, and boxed games have been cut to a minimum. SEGA absolutely does not have the financial resources to launch a new console without a 100% chance of bankruptcy...

Still...I'd buy it if they did. I never thought the industry would feel the same without a SEGA console, but honestly, by 2002 it seemed like most gamers I knew were pretty much passed it.

Side note, dat Sonic Issue 50 Endgame Avatar.

HDdHa.gif

ChaosXVI

Side note, dat Sonic Issue 50 Endgame Avatar.

HDdHa.gif

SatAMstyleRobotnik4life.

And that's another reason why SEGA can't make a console. If they go belly-up completely, the Sonic franchise will be purchased by Nintendo and the comic shall die forever...
tears shed by no one but me

Hasney

To those talking about arcade hardware, has this historically been done at E3 previously when arcades were a bigger deal? I'm obviously not suggesting that it's a new console as I haven't had a history of head trauma, but I assume it would be more consumer focused than new arcade kits, especially at a western focused event such as E3.

Xun

Although it never would've been a new console, the image is fake.

The SEGA logo isn't right, and this goes beyond colour.
If you don't believe me compare it to the real SEGA logo, the spacing is different, sadly.

Laranja

If you don't believe me compare it to the real SEGA logo, the spacing is different, sadly.

I do see some differences between the logo on this slide and the official logo, especially in the curves of the S.

What I don't get is why didn't the person faking this image simply use a high-resolution logo from Google image search, thus eliminating any discrepancies between the logo on the fake picture and the real thing? It makes no sense to redraw the logo. Is there any other way the logo could have ended up with these little mistakes?

Not saying you're not right (though being a SEGA fan, I hope you're not), it just seems odd...

Edit: and because I have way too much free time, here's a comparison between the official logo (on top) and the logo on the slide (on the bottom). The differences are subtle, but plenty enough to tell this isn't the official logo.

ikYaslCo9qp0A.jpg

Kudos to Xun for noticing it first.

optimiss

I do see some differences between the logo on this slide and the official logo, especially in the curves of the S.

What I don't get is why didn't the person faking this image simply use a high-resolution logo from Google image search, thus eliminating any discrepancies between the logo on the fake picture and the real thing? It makes no sense to redraw the logo. Is there any other way the logo could have ended up with these little mistakes?

Not saying you're not right (though being a SEGA fan, I hope you're not), it just seems odd...

Edit: and because I have way too much free time, here's a comparison between the official logo (on top) and the logo on the slide (on the bottom). The differences are subtle, but plenty enough to tell this isn't the official logo.

ikYaslCo9qp0A.jpg

Kudos to Xun for noticing it first.

They probably used a fan created font.

Edit: found it

Laranja

I got it. optimiss got it!

The logo is not the official one because it was created using the SEGA font, which I'm pretty certain is fanmade, and thus couldn't possibly be used in an official document.

Here's the previous image with the word "SEGA" rendered using that font added on the bottom and the slide logo adjusted to match its horizontal length. You can see the two are clearly the same, bearing the same small differences to the proper official logo.

ibkNwixjYvch2K.png

As much as I hate to say it, this is obviously fake.

They probably used a fan created font.

Edit: found it

Yup, nice work! ;)

Laranja

We got it!

*high five*

Yeah we did! *high-five*

Though I wish it were true, to be honest. I can't help but get all excited whenever people start speculating about a new SEGA console, even though I know fully well that it'll never happen. Oh well.

This would be interesting if this is a new SEGA console, but can this market sustain a fourth console?

Could it be an actual retro console like the new Neo Geo X where you can d/l all their old games to it with an HDMI port, full 1080p, etc.?

Top Bottom