• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digishine

Banned
iCV3ec1RPhqSB.png

burn

Neo Member
5 min to start burning...

I hope I can use it for the day to day. I started using Windows 7 with the first leaked betas.

Nice:
4:06 pm "During the Consumer Preview period all of the apps in the store will be free, and as we go through the period we'll keep adding apps to the store."

Mr_Zombie

As much as I like Windows 8, this looks like something from Windows 3.1, hopefully in the future we can get stuff like Android's animated walls or at least some basic gradients.

I agree, their choice of colors for setup is really poor; they are all washed up and "dirty".

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
They've mentioned multiple screens a few times, have they actually shown how it works?
in the dev preview the startscreen would be on one screen and the desktop on the other. With the desktop on both the taskbar goes across multiple screens and apps pin to that monitor's taskbar depending on which screen it is on.

PG2G

in the dev preview the startscreen would be on one screen and the desktop on the other. With the desktop on both the taskbar goes across multiple screens and apps pin to that monitor's taskbar depending on which screen it is on.

Ah, okay. Thanks

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Yes...please let me know how this runs on MacBooks. Would love to get this on my MBP at home.

Unfortunately I'm guessing no gestures will really do anything on the trackpad (which would make sense on the MacBooks) but just to play with the new OS would be awesome.

Using Win8 on a virtual drive. A nice set of instructions on downloading and installing Win8 on a virtual drive so you don't mess up your previous Windows installation. In the instructions, he suggests 60GB.
From the Supersite:

Creating a virtual drive:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872416.aspx

Installing Win8:
http://www.winsupersite.com/content1/tabid/2936/catpath/windows8/topic/boot-microsoft-windows-8-vhd-windows-7-141708

In case anyone needs it, to run disk management:

To run Command Prompt as an administrator
Click the Start button .

In the search box, type "command prompt".

In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Open the Disk Management console by typing diskmgmt.msc at an elevated command prompt.
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Got to say this all looks massively impressive to me, cant wait to start hearing impressions but my initial impression last year was this was a version of windows you'd only want if you had touch hardware, it's looking more like something everyone will benefit from.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Cetra

Everything I'm seeing looks great for mobile devices and tablets but as far as desktops are concerned most of that UI seems at first glance to be really obnoxious looking and annoying. why the shit do I need icons that are about 100 times or more larger than my mouse pointer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom