• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Adams

Made Taco Meat for the first time in my Instant Pot, and I'll never go back to using a skillet for it. Just tremendous.

Did u add any water to it? I just got the 8qt and cant get it to pressurize, everything end up getting burned and caked on at the bottom. Was wondering if i have to add a cup of water to everything.

Ashhong

Made Taco Meat for the first time in my Instant Pot, and I'll never go back to using a skillet for it. Just tremendous.

Season the chicken first, for sure. Makes a big difference. 14 sounds like a bit long for chicken, regardless of whether it's frozen. Try 10 minutes, and then take its temperature after Natural Pressure Release (never do quick release with meat).

If it's gonna be covered in stock from the previous attempt, yeah, not much point to apply directly to the frozen meat. Just add to the water. Results should be largely the same. Fwiw with thawed meat the salt would help tenderize it.

...why? ive been doing quick release since forever with meats and can't even imagine letting the pot slowly lose pressure, which would just make fixing the plate even more costly wrt time if it somehow remains undercooked (which isnt very likely, given how long a slow release takes).

Heck, if theres concerns over bits of meat flying off, that is unlikely to happen even if youre doing risotto.

Such contradicting advice lol. I would only use like less than 1 cup of stock (does it count as stock if all I cooked in it was water, frozen chicken, butter and some salt/pepper?) so it won't be covered. Maybe I'll throw a little bit of seasoning on the chicken itself too.

Also gonna use that stock for some normal white rice...I'm guessing I can still use the 1:1 ratio and maybe just throw in some extra salt or something. Just have to remember my findings and make adjustments for next time

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got one of those from Amazon during the Amazon Prime sale and just finally got around to using it and it is fantastic. Made rice then made some chicken. Very simple, very easy. I love it. What I need is more suggestions. Chicken, steak, pot roast, soups, Asian foods, etc. Give it to me all.

Seriously, go out and buy one of these. One of the best things I have ever gotten for my kitchen.

2 years late, but these Convection Steam ovens will change your life.

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/wolf/ovens/steam-oven

RS4-

Did u add any water to it? I just got the 8qt and cant get it to pressurize, everything end up getting burned and caked on at the bottom. Was wondering if i have to add a cup of water to everything.

I'd add some water, maybe quarter or half depending on how much liquid there is after sauteing.

Even then, you can always just continue to saute after it's done cooking if you'd like.

dl77

I was thinking of picking up one during Amazon prime day but then I read a recipe for chicken. In the recipe it said cook the chicken for 25 minutes and I thought "Great, that'll be so easy to do for a meal one evening." However, I then looked through the comments and the writer admitted that it takes up to 40 minutes to get to pressure and then the natural release at the end takes another 15, so basically it takes nearly an hour and a half to cook a small chicken!

Surely she's doing something wrong?!

I was thinking of picking up one during Amazon prime day but then I read a recipe for chicken. In the recipe it said cook the chicken for 25 minutes and I thought "Great, that'll be so easy to do for a meal one evening." However, I then looked through the comments and the writer admitted that it takes up to 40 minutes to get to pressure and then the natural release at the end takes another 15, so basically it takes nearly an hour and a half to cook a small chicken!

Even on the 8qt. model, it takes way less than 40 minutes to come to pressure. No matter what's in there, I've never had it take more than 15.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I've had one of these things sitting around for some months now and decided to finally crack it open..holy shit. I don't wanna stop cooking. Made this Sweet Balsamic Glazed Pork..damn. Shit was delicious..girls went crazy over it. Also made some 1 minute pork chops on high pressure that came out fantastic. Yesterday, I cooked Rotini in it..never cooking pasta on the stove again. Just perfect.

Can't believe I'm just getting into this thing. Will be trying out the recipes y'all have recommended. Baby back ribs this weekend seems highly likely..😎

Finally got around to using my IP for the second time, had some split chicken breasts that were in my freezer for way, way too long and decided it was a good time to finally do something with them. Didn't feel like doing anything fancy and just took them out of the packaging cleaned them off and tossed them in my Instant Pot with the timer set to 25 minutes, I originally had it set for 15 but I cancelled and set it again a few minutes later, I think it took about an hour to go through the whole cycle with a natural released but they turned out well. Took them out and put some white potatoes I had left from when I bought a bag for my roast a couple weeks ago, washed them off, put the trivet into the pot and sat them on it and eventually made mashed potatoes out of them, then took the left over liquid in the pot and made gravy out of it.

Over all not bad, I probably could've let the potatoes stay natural release a bit longer but for something simple it was good enough. Probably going to get boneless breasts the next time I make something chicken related, not sure what yet but I've seen some recipes. Next up though I'm going to make that Glazed Pork recipe above on Saturday because I've been thinking about it since I saw ALF's post last Friday. Would have made it today but I couldn't find a good pork loin or sirloin roast at my area grocery stores last week. Going to "the city" Friday and Meijer so I'll pick one up there, plus pork loin is going to be on sale.

Chairhome

Finally got around to using my IP for the second time, had some split chicken breasts that were in my freezer for way, way too long and decided it was a good time to finally do something with them. Didn't feel like doing anything fancy and just took them out of the packaging cleaned them off and tossed them in my Instant Pot with the timer set to 25 minutes, I originally had it set for 15 but I cancelled and set it again a few minutes later, I think it took about an hour to go through the whole cycle with a natural released but they turned out well. Took them out and put some white potatoes I had left from when I bought a bag for my roast a couple weeks ago, washed them off, put the trivet into the pot and sat them on it and eventually made mashed potatoes out of them, then took the left over liquid in the pot and made gravy out of it.
To each his own, but I've heard you should not clean off chicken before cooking. The cooking process will kill off the germs, and you risk spreading contaminants into your sink and counters if you clean them off.

======

I started using the IP last week and have been enjoying it. Made taco meat (with a packet, turned out well), ribs, orange chicken and pork chops so far.
My only complaint (probably user error) is that the chicken came out overcooked and the pork chops were a bit dry. The boneless pork chops were thawed, in a chicken broth, and put in high pressure for 7 minutes. Still tasted great, just dry. Any pointers?

dl77

To each his own, but I've heard you should not clean off chicken before cooking. The cooking process will kill off the germs, and you risk spreading contaminants into your sink and counters if you clean them off.

Yes that's a big no-no. Unlike other meats you should also just throw the packaging into the general waste bin rather than washing it out for recycling.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think it depends on how much moisture is in whatever you're cooking to begin with. The instant pot builds pressure by boiling whatever liquid is in it, so you need at least a little water, regardless of where it comes from.

Ground beef probably needs a bit of water.

I've done chicken with no water before, though. Apparently chicken carries enough water on its own to cook fine.

Very watery vegetables like tomatoes don't really need much (if any) water either, though sometimes I add a little to be safe.

On a side note, you're not supposed to put anything that can potentially stick to the bottom and burn during cooking. So adding things like cheese in a pot is bad.

Pressurizing/depressurizing time does need to be added in. It does sometimes take 10-15 minutes to build up pressure (40 sounds way too long to me), and if you do a natural release (letting the pot sit and cool down enough to depressurize on its own), that can take 15-20 minutes after the pot is done cooking to depressurize. If you add these times, sometimes using the instant pot takes longer than actually cooking something conventionally, but you still get the advantage of not needing to look after it, not needing to check if it's done, etc. The instant pot is definitely faster than normal pots for things that need to boil for a long time though, such as beans or certain soups.

Another upside is that cooking something in an instant pot typically doesn't take as long as boiling it in a normal pot. For example, if you boil pasta in a normal pot for 10 minutes, cooking it in an instant pot for 5ish minutes (or less) will do the same thing, not counting pressurizing/depressurizing times. I usually boil potatoes in the instant pot just because it's faster and I don't need to watch the pot while it cooks.

After cooking, you can make the depressurizing time way shorter by using the quick release valve, which releases the steam much more quickly, but it can be loud and sometimes shoots bits of water out of the valve (not a problem but it makes you need to clean the valve more often). That'll let you open the lid in about 5 minutes max. I've started to do this more often.

mm04

Had this for about 6 weeks before I gave it a go. Pot roast and braised short ribs were both a success. Next on the docket is Filipino mechado using my Mom's recipe. I'm sure it'll turn out well.

ReAxion

After cooking, you can make the depressurizing time way shorter by using the quick release valve, which releases the steam much more quickly, but it can be loud and sometimes shoots bits of water out of the valve (not a problem but it makes you need to clean the valve more often). That'll let you open the lid in about 5 minutes max. I've started to do this more often.

I do quick release almost exclusively now. I just toss the dish towel I've been using over it loosely. I forget where I read it, but someone did side-by-side tests on quick release vs natural and there was barely a difference in the end, except time saved.

Being they were frozen in the packaging (not my doing) the breasts were stuck to the absorption pad so it was either waiting hours I didn't have until thawed enough or running some hot water over it for a couple minutes to get it to separate, if it weren't for that I would've just thrown them in, it wasn't so much cleaning than it was that. And yes, I washed/disinfected my sink and area where any sort of contact might've been made like I do when handling any raw meat.

EDIT: Welp, gonna be a bit longer before I make the pork recipe the Melmacian shared. By the time I got there they were cleaned out. -.-

EDIT: Welp, gonna be a bit longer before I make the pork recipe the Melmacian shared. By the time I got there they were cleaned out. -.-

Used a Montreal steak seasoning instead of salt and pepper..lawd. Next week, carne asada seasoning.

Just had this beef stew tonight as a test run..family enjoyed it very much. Had to as a little more salt and pepper, personally.

Shit..am I the only one posting in here now? 😐

So hot here in Oregon, I put the Instant Pot outside, plugged it into an outside outlet, and made my mashed potatoes out there.

norm9

Having checked out way too many youtube instant pot chefs, I finally came across a guy that makes things very easy and he's got a pretty cool personality and he drinks beer while cooking. Only thing is he uses a lot of ingredients; maybe the right amount, I can't cook, so I don't know

Cuong Can Cook- here's his video on making a roast.

https://youtu.be/Uz95yI3vjxI

I'm either going to attempt pot roast recipe or ribs tonight.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
Used a Montreal steak seasoning instead of salt and pepper..lawd. Next week, carne asada seasoning.

Just had this beef stew tonight as a test run..family enjoyed it very much. Had to as a little more salt and pepper, personally.

Shit..am I the only one posting in here now? 😐
Nice that looks really good! I'll have to save this and try it next week!

https://youtu.be/D4C8IK95PYA
Tried this out a few weeks ago and turned out great. Not really weekday meal unless you are willing to prep a bit

norm9

Ended up making ground beef and pasta last night instead of pot roast or ribs. Was really buzzed but I think it came out delicious. Now I have enough for the next three(?) lunches at work. Adding up the cost of all the meals, I'd say I paid about 9 dollars total.

I am still debating whe the I should keep making meals that serves 4 or so when I am only one person. Don't want to be wasteful and throw the food out in a week when's moldy.

Carne asada version of the pulled pork recipe is now my favorite. Damn, that stuff is too good..

Nice that looks really good! I'll have to save this and try it next week!

https://youtu.be/D4C8IK95PYA
Tried this out a few weeks ago and turned out great. Not really weekday meal unless you are willing to prep a bit

Oh, man..think imma hit this one this weekend. Love ox tail and it's been a long time..

I am still debating whe the I should keep making meals that serves 4 or so when I am only one person. Don't want to be wasteful and throw the food out in a week when's moldy.

What are you making that gets moldy in a week? The pasta? Turn up that cold in the fridge 😉..

Ponn

Banned
I got a pork roast to try that was on sale this week but i'm worried its too big for my pot and won't reach pressure. It's a little over 4 pound roast and i have the 6 quart version of the pot. Also to those that have done pork or beef roast in the pot like Gordon did you sear it first with the saute option?

I'm also looking for a good Broccoli and Cheese soup recipe I can do in the pot. Preferably one really close to Panera's recipe.

I got a pork roast to try that was on sale this week but i'm worried its too big for my pot and won't reach pressure. It's a little over 4 pound roast and i have the 6 quart version of the pot. Also to those that have done pork or beef roast in the pot like Gordon did you sear it first with the saute option?

I'm also looking for a good Broccoli and Cheese soup recipe I can do in the pot. Preferably one really close to Panera's recipe.

I've been using 3+ lbs pork loin in a 6 quart without issue..I'm guessing you're good.

And I don't eat that stuff but Instant Pot .com has this

http://instantpot.com/daughter-loves-this-broccoli-soup/

Well should be ok then. If not I guess I will find out and worst will have to throw it in oven. I want to throw some carrots in with it too.

Oh that recipe sounds like it would be close and easy to try. Thanks for the find.

Not a problem. You got a recipe in mind for the roast? These folks have some good recipes I've tried..might wanna check them out. Good luck with the roast 😁..

Heel

Just picked one up a few weeks ago. Haven't gotten around to using it until recently, but pretty great so far.

Did this the other night, but skipped the mushrooms and sectioned up some small onions instead of using pearl onions.

Very similar to something I do in a slow cooker. Pretty much turned out the same, but took an hour instead of several. Impressive.

Just picked one up a few weeks ago. Haven't gotten around to using it until recently, but pretty great so far.

Did this the other night, but skipped the mushrooms and sectioned up some small onions instead of using pearl onions.

Very similar to something I do in a slow cooker. Pretty much turned out the same, but took an hour instead of several. Impressive.

Likewise..allergic lol. Basically stopped using the stove. Even been making hardboiled eggs in the thing. Come out perfect. The time you save is crazy..

thespot84

Having checked out way too many youtube instant pot chefs, I finally came across a guy that makes things very easy and he's got a pretty cool personality and he drinks beer while cooking. Only thing is he uses a lot of ingredients; maybe the right amount, I can't cook, so I don't know

Cuong Can Cook- here's his video on making a roast.

https://youtu.be/Uz95yI3vjxI

I'm either going to attempt pot roast recipe or ribs tonight.

Stay lubed lol

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
Oh, man..think imma hit this one this weekend. Love ox tail and it's been a long time..
Nice, I just wish oxtail wasn't so expensive. Last time I went to Costco they had it for $17.99 a pound and only sold it in pounds of 2! Shit was cheap back in the day..

I use mine as a glorified turbocharged rice cooker... havent put anything else in there
Definitely use it more! Shit has saved me time and money when I want to make meals or make meals for the week.

Heel

C7PUoD5.jpg

If you can find this little paste packet at the grocery, turned out great in the Instant Pot if you need a super quick and easy meal.

Here's what I did:

The paste
1 1/4 cup water
3 small red potatoes, skinned, large cubes
2 frozen chicken breasts (probably even better with thighs)
1/2 to 1 tablespoon of butter, to your taste
dash of heavy cream, to your taste

Mix paste and water in the Instant Pot
Add the potatoes and frozen chicken breasts, stir to coat everything

Set to Manual, high pressure for 13 minutes
Natural release

When you open it, it may be a little thin. Set the Instant Pot to Sautee Medium to simmer it a bit to thicken it up. The starch from the potatoes will help with this, so it won't take very long. Pull apart the chicken to your liking.

When thickened, some optional stuff: Add the butter and cream to your taste, topped mine with some cilantro.

Can be served on top of rice with some naan.

giphy.gif

norm9

Doing ribs tonight. Found the laziest recipe ever so its right up my alley. Cup of bbq sauce mixed with cup of water. Put in the ribs. Cook for 50 minutes. Brush with sauce, broil for a bit. Might even skip the broiling part.

Much simpler than the recipes that involve more than a few ingredients and spices. Should still taste delicious though.

Doing ribs tonight. Found the laziest recipe ever so its right up my alley. Cup of bbq sauce mixed with cup of water. Put in the ribs. Cook for 50 minutes. Brush with sauce, broil for a bit. Might even skip the broiling part.

Much simpler than the recipes that involve more than a few ingredients and spices. Should still taste delicious though.

50 minutes?! Da fug?

You don't need any more than 20-30!

Ferrio

Banned

Don't skip the broiler part, it's an easy final step and will make it a lot better.

50 minutes?! Da fug?

You don't need any more than 20-30!

You need atleast 50 mins if you want it to fall off the bone, ya it'll be cooked in 20-30 minutes but they won't be good ribs. When I did ribs I needed 90 mins in my instant pot. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243180955&postcount=352

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Anyone ever tried making pho broth using the Instant Pot? The lady and I have thought about giving it a shot.
Yes. It's fantastic, though to be fair I've never tried making it normally.

I based it around this recipe:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Replaced chicken with meat (I used ox tail, since similar recipes I found said that was good due to high cartilage), added some salt (for some reason this recipe doesn't mention salt), and cooked sliced beef in the broth after taking it out and straining out all the stuff it was boiled in.

I boiled the actual pho noodles separately.

Yes. It's fantastic, though to be fair I've never tried making it normally.

I based it around this recipe:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

Replaced chicken with meat (I used ox tail, since similar recipes I found said that was good due to high cartilage), added some salt (for some reason this recipe doesn't mention salt), and cooked sliced beef in the broth after taking it out and straining out all the stuff it was boiled in.

I boiled the actual pho noodles separately.

Perfect! She and I love pho ga especially so this sounds great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom