• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First placeholder price for Nintendo Switch - $329CAD (~$245 USD)

That seems reasonable with the joycon controllers and no game or anything else extra. If it included a game at that price like Nintendo did with Wii sports, it would be amazing!

Honestly that price is cheap enough to knock me from "I don't know about this" to "day one," provided the launch lineup is good.

Uraizen

Banned
My expectation was always that the Switch would come with the detachable controllers and the little box-thing you attach them to, but the Pro Controller would be sold separately.

Unless it somehow works out cheaper for them, I highly doubt it comes with a pro controller as standard

This is why I believe the placeholder price. I had secretly hoped it would come with a regular controller, though.

No, it does not.

That'll be swapping the dollar sign for the pound sign meaning we'll be getting ripped off.

err you quoted euro sign not pound
fwiw 1 usd = ~1.08 eur atm and lets not forget typical eu vat is around 19-21% and the price listed in us/ca isn't with tax while in eu/gb it is

Kid Heart

If this does end up being the real price I assume this would mean nothing but the basic console accessories would be included. I personally don't think we'll see it launch below $300 though.

JMY86

$249 is a good price point. I think even $299 might be a tough sell for anyone other than hardcore Nintendo fans, and they certainly weren't enough to carry the Wii U. You can get a much more powerful console in XB1 or PS4 for that $299 price point with established libraries and guaranteed third party support. If Nintendo tried anything over $299 it would be a death sentence for the Switch.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That's a good price considering I think there's going to be a lot of overpriced accessories that will come with it.

Seems to good to be true though, and I'm going to expect a bit higher with the actual price.

Davey Cakes

$249 is a good price point. I think even $299 might be a tough sell for anyone other than hardcore Nintendo fans. You can get a much more powerful console in XB1 or PS4 for that price point with established libraries and guaranteed third party support. If Nintendo tried anything over $299 it would be a death sentence for the Switch.
I know that $250 isn't "impulse buy" price for everbody but it's in that range for typical middle class folk who enjoy electronic entertainment. $300 is a bit steep though.

Keeping the Switch at $250 would really help it as a brand new piece of hardware in competition with slightly-aged alternatives priced the same.

I honestly don't believe Switch will be another Wii but if Nintendo can find a way to make it a "hot item" they'd be on the right track. I almost have confidence in this because even the Mini NES Classic is entering that territory, being a $70 system with only 30 choice games from 35 years ago.

The big question is what kind of incentives we'll see, if any. But I'm still locked in at my $250 or $249.99 prediction. Save this post if you have to.

The Giant

Banned
First placeholder price? bah. Ebgames Australia had a placeholder price and able to preorder since march 2015.

Placeholder price is $1000.

In Australia you can preorder games and consoles hours after announcement.

pizzacat

Banned
Btw I'm pretty sure Best Buy is doing this $250 GC for getting a contract Samsung s7, so if you're in the market for a new phone get that shit and preorder a switch

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
These placeholder prices rarely mean anything, but $250 would be a stellar price. It would be a more powerful and more functional Wii U for less money. Also, with XB1 and PS4 at $300, getting 50-90% of the performance of those systems (we'll see how it turns out) plus portability for $50 less seems like fair pricing.

Based on the rumors: $300 is likely the ceiling for mainstream success (assuming the product is compelling) and what I was and still am expecting. $250 would be a pleasant surprise. $200 would be the "this can't be real" price. $350 would be the "uhhh..." price. And $400 would be "*sigh*...Nintendo."

Flux

Well it's a placeholder price. But Atleast our crampy dollar gives everyone else optimism in price lol.

FStubbs

$199 or bust for this thing. I think any higher and it's DoA against established systems like the PS4 that will be moving down in price.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Seems way too good to be true as doesn't leave much room for a price drop.

I expect 300$/€

I don't really expect price drops to anything lower than $200. What I expect instead is a wider range of models (for example, a Switch without the portability of the tablet core could probably cut a good amount of cost by losing the screen and size constraints) and iterative products that replace the old ones at the same price.

CronoShot

$250 sounds pretty good overall for everyone. Not so expensive as to seem overpriced, but not cheap enough that Nintendo is taking a loss on it.

I like it.

Nice, price. My goal was to save up around $600. Maybe I can get two at launch instead of one then. I won't have to share with my kids.

Jebusman

Banned
Honestly $250US sounds right if this thing is really just supposed to be a Nintendo co-opted version of NVIDIA's Shield tablet.

Last time I checked the last shield (Shield K1) came out for $200US, so $250 seems right.

Top Bottom