• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Holy hell. The dt880s do way more than what you're getting currently. You're going to need amping for those to sound right. Link the Monoprice DAC, if you would. It might not be able to fully power those either.

In my pre-600 ohm experience, a cheaper portable DAC/amp like a Fiio E07K did the job for improving audio and playing at the right volume to anything I had. I picked up a 600 ohm dt990 and that was no longer the case. Up the volume to power the headphones? Clipping, muted bass, and harshening treble. Up the gain instead? Same issue.

I bought a dedicated amp, Schiit Magni 2, to go with it. With the Magni 2 in the chain I've been able to pin down the problem to the Fiio, likely its built-in amp. Up the Fiio volume and lower the Magni 2 and the sound changes & clipping show up consistently with all of my headphones. I have to have the Magni 2 maxed on high gain and adjust the Fiio as low as I can accept to minimize its amp's flaws at higher volumes.

In related news, I finally have a Schiit Modi Multibit on the way and I'm pretty excited for the line out and what should be a significant upgrade in sound. Oh, and nearly identical right angle adapters from QVS and KK Cable don't sound the same. The KK Cable adapters negatively color the sound. Made me glad that I had the QVS and a normal rca cable to compare to and catch it.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00KVVX2QW/

^ This guy.

I hope that's enough. ;~; Already spent more money than I was hoping to go into this whole thing. I'm not opposed to spending more if need be I guess, would just suck.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mike has stated more than once that a multibit module for the Jot is not happening. Doesn't have near the required space and would need a completely new chassis for the Jot.

Yeah I know full well, just dreaming.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00KVVX2QW/

^ This guy.

I hope that's enough. ;~; Already spent more money than I was hoping to go into this whole thing. I'm not opposed to spending more if need be I guess, would just suck.

It's okay, will be light years beyond the onboard audio, and is said to have plenty of power.

Build quality is spotty though.

So I have a question that I posted over in the STEM |OT| Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Community Thread but it specifically has to do with transmitting audio wirelessly input and output. I'm trying to make my own wireless headset transmitter as my Astro A40 wireless mixamp I got back in 2012 is starting to die (I've had to resolder, clean connections etc. To maintain it) and there's no alternative out there... Trying to figure out how, I might go about doing this. I know it's easily possible, as all these headsets now have a 2.4ghz band audio input/output via USB that goes to a contained headset unit. But I want to convert that to a 3.5mm 4 pole jack for use with any headphones/headset.

Heel

I really didn't consider how weird a mic solution would be with the proprietary jacks on the Sennheiser HD6XX, specifically for console gaming. Was thinking I'd be able to put something together to use them on PS4, but it's all seeming pretty unwieldy as far as wiring, amping, etc.

Did see some replacement HD650 cables with an in-line mic on Alibaba, but no mute switch and not really enough power for decent volume straight from the controller. Modmic wiring and sticking a clip on the headphones and amping seems like...a lot, especially on the couch.

So basically considering some $100'ish options to replace Sony Wireless Golds that would be one wire to the controller or wireless altogether, with mic and mute.

Anyone tried Philips SHP9500s + V-MODA BoomPro on PS4? Worthy upgrade over something like Sony Wireless Platinums? Another solid option out there I don't know about?

Heel

Okay, searched the thread. People really seem to like the SHP9500 + BoomPro setup, haha. I just figure it's a little more versatile and would sound better than getting a "gaming headset" in the same price category, but if anyone has other suggestions I'm all ears.

SHP9500's are $49.99 at NewEgg for the next 6 days or so, which is what kind of has me leaning that way: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, searched the thread. People really seem to like the SHP9500 + BoomPro setup, haha. I just figure it's a little more versatile and would sound better than getting a "gaming headset" in the same price category, but if anyone has other suggestions I'm all ears.

SHP9500's are $49.99 at NewEgg for the next 6 days or so, which is what kind of has me leaning that way: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

I can't speak to console usage, but my ex-roommate has a pair of SHP9500S. I actually listened to them again for a bit just 5 hours ago. The SHP9500S are interesting. Definitely good but not for me. The bass is quite light. Maybe a bit less than Audio-Technica AD700 even.

However, the rest of the sound stage is good and there is this magical sweet spot of lower treble that sounds insanely clear and appealing. That one section of the sound signature hasn't been matched by any of the headphones I've heard. There's a 3d printing mod that gives them bass but that lower treble is straight magic. I doubt you could find a better pair for that price.

AxeMan

hey all, I'm after some recommendations as I'm a little confused. I've read through a bit of this thread and some other sites and I'd like to know people opinions of the AKG K545 or the Sennheiser HD 558.

Is one better than the other in any noticeable way? I'd mostly be hooking it directly up to a laptop or my phone (HTC M9) directly to use at work in an office environment. I do have a Fiio amp somewhere though that I could use if I can find it (prefer not too as I hate charging it).

Pretty much just music - 80's stuff, electronic and rock

Thoughts? Would the AKG or Sennheiser be better? Or is there something else I'm missing? Should I go wireless (or at least wired + wireless headphones). Is noise canceling worth it?

matmanx1

So I got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880s today as my first cans ever (previously used Astro A50s for basically everything) and while I don't yet have my Monoprice DAC thingy yet my first impression is not amazing. The volume is pretty low, barely any bass and pretty much nothing special soundwise from my previous headset. Will the DAC really improve things enough to get amazing sound or is this relatively what I can expect from them?

I'm not a fan of the Beyer stuff just for tonality reasons but yeah, a DAC and better amp would certainly improve things for you quite a bit.

K.Jack

hey all, I'm after some recommendations as I'm a little confused. I've read through a bit of this thread and some other sites and I'd like to know people opinions of the AKG K545 or the Sennheiser HD 558.

Is one better than the other in any noticeable way? I'd mostly be hooking it directly up to a laptop or my phone (HTC M9) directly to use at work in an office environment. I do have a Fiio amp somewhere though that I could use if I can find it (prefer not too as I hate charging it).

Thoughts? Would the AKG or Sennheiser be better? Or is there something else I'm missing? Should I go wireless (or at least wired + wireless headphones). Is noise canceling worth it?

Give us a budget.

matmanx1

A couple of weeks ago I received the E-mu Teak headphones and said I would provide an update once I had some more time with them. I'll be honest, I have not been enjoying them and just yesterday did I figure out why: the earpads.

Not only did I buy the headphones I also bought the Massdrop Elite hybrid earpads by Dekoni with the attenuator rings for Fostex variants (of which the E-mu Teak belongs). The earpads are crazy comfortable. Probably the most comfortable I have ever used. They are velour where it touches your skin and have fenestrated sheepskin on the inner ring and solid sheepskin on the outer edge. I popped them on as soon as I pulled the headphones out of the box because I remember how cramped and hot the stock earpads on my TH-X00's were.

For the couple of weeks that I have been using them my impression has been how much stronger and more powerful the bass sounds and feels than it did on my TH-X00's. The Fostex variants have always been bassy cans but this was just skull pounding and brain shaking and was overwhelming everything else. All of a sudden the music was taking a back seat to the bass and literally the only type of music I had been enjoying with the Teaks was some dubsteb and electronica. Everything else just had too much bass.

In a last ditch effort to salvage the sound I decided to go back to the stock pads yesterday and all of a sudden everything is right with the world again. Now I remember why I enjoyed the TH-X00's so much! And these E-mu Teaks sounded like that except more open and airy but still with the warmth and sweetness I wanted.

So yeah, the Dekoni pads changed the sound for me in a pretty negative way even though they are really comfortable. My best guess is that the mids and some of the highs were being muffled by the thicker and denser pad material which just left the bass to come through and overwhelm everything else.

The stock pads on the E-mu Teak are still not great. They still make my ears warm and I can feel pressure on and around my ears when I am wearing them. But the Teaks are so light that they feel more comfortable to me than the Mahagony TH-X00's ever did with the same pads. And the sound is so, so good that I actually prefer these to the much more expensive ZMF Eikon in a lot of cases. What can I say, I am a sucker for sweetness and warmth in my music and the E-mu Teak delivers that combination better than any other headphone that I have yet tried.

HiResDes

So many questions. Noise canceling is worth it only if you absolutely need it and are going to be using them in places with fairly loud ambient noise and find In-Ear Monitors uncomfortable. Wireless again if you're constantly on the move and have the need. Wired headphones will give you a much better value just in terms of absolute sound quality. The two headphones you're trying to compare couldn't be more different. One is a somewhat portable closed headphone with a V-shaped sound signature and the other is an open headphone mainly meant for home use that has a much more neutral sound signature. They're not comparable really, and it's not really all too helpful to ask which is better but rather try to find a sound signature suited to your needs. There are too many variables when it comes to better.

LQX

A couple of weeks ago I received the E-mu Teak headphones and said I would provide an update once I had some more time with them. I'll be honest, I have not been enjoying them and just yesterday did I figure out why: the earpads.

Not only did I buy the headphones I also bought the Massdrop Elite hybrid earpads by Dekoni with the attenuator rings for Fostex variants (of which the E-mu Teak belongs). The earpads are crazy comfortable. Probably the most comfortable I have ever used. They are velour where it touches your skin and have fenestrated sheepskin on the inner ring and solid sheepskin on the outer edge. I popped them on as soon as I pulled the headphones out of the box because I remember how cramped and hot the stock earpads on my TH-X00's were.

For the couple of weeks that I have been using them my impression has been how much stronger and more powerful the bass sounds and feels than it did on my TH-X00's. The Fostex variants have always been bassy cans but this was just skull pounding and brain shaking and was overwhelming everything else. All of a sudden the music was taking a back seat to the bass and literally the only type of music I had been enjoying with the Teaks was some dubsteb and electronica. Everything else just had too much bass.

In a last ditch effort to salvage the sound I decided to go back to the stock pads yesterday and all of a sudden everything is right with the world again. Now I remember why I enjoyed the TH-X00's so much! And these E-mu Teaks sounded like that except more open and airy but still with the warmth and sweetness I wanted.

So yeah, the Dekoni pads changed the sound for me in a pretty negative way even though they are really comfortable. My best guess is that the mids and some of the highs were being muffled by the thicker and denser pad material which just left the bass to come through and overwhelm everything else.

The stock pads on the E-mu Teak are still not great. They still make my ears warm and I can feel pressure on and around my ears when I am wearing them. But the Teaks are so light that they feel more comfortable to me than the Mahagony TH-X00's ever did with the same pads. And the sound is so, so good that I actually prefer these to the much more expensive ZMF Eikon in a lot of cases. What can I say, I am a sucker for sweetness and warmth in my music and the E-mu Teak delivers that combination better than any other headphone that I have yet tried.

Awesome. Thanks for the update as I'm now looking to get these.

How is the build quality? Sent back my Purple Hearts to Massdrop as they had a lot of build quality issues. Any issues at all with the removable cable jacks on the ear cups themselves? I'm seeing some reports of them cutting in and out with movement. No issues with the cup finish?

K.Jack

Yeah I've been reading that the Dekoni pads can change the sound sig. I have a pair of the Elite Velour on the way, to see if they up the comfort without destroying everything that makes the Teak so special. It really is a phenomenal sounding headphone.

I can't wait to see what the Jot does for them. My Geek Out is dead, and I'm going on 3 weeks without having heard back from LH Labs support.

How is the build quality? Sent back my Purple Hearts to Massdrop as they had a lot of build quality issues. Any issues at all with the removable cable jacks on the ear cups themselves? I'm seeing some reports of them cutting in and out with movement. No issues with the cup finish?

Build quality is top notch on my E-MU. Thee jacks on mine have no issues. The stock cable was suspect though. I bought one of these and things have been great.

I haven't seen any reports of the cup finish issues that plagued the last couple X00 drops.

AxeMan

Thanks for the replies

Give us a budget.

$150-$250 AUD

So many questions. Noise canceling is worth it only if you absolutely need it and are going to be using them in places with fairly loud ambient noise and find In-Ear Monitors. Wireless again if you're constantly on the move and have the need. Wired headphones will give you a much better value just in terms of absolute sound quality. The two headphones you're trying to compare couldn't be more different. One is a somewhat portable closed headphone with a V-shaped sound signature and the other is an open headphone mainly meant for home use that has a much more neutral sound signature. They're not comparable really, and it's not really all too helpful to ask which is better but rather try to find a sound signature suited to your needs. There are too many variables when it comes to better.

I work in an office, it's pretty quite. Though I like the idea of noise cancelling for planes, it's not super important but if the option is available I'd consider it.
Wireless isn't really important either but would be a nice to have.

I thought both of them were closed, sorry. I'm only interested in closed

Hope that helps

HiResDes

Thanks for the replies

$150-$250 AUD

I work in an office, it's pretty quite. Though I like the idea of noise cancelling for planes, it's not super important but if the option is available I'd consider it.
Wireless isn't really important either but would be a nice to have.

I thought both of them were closed, sorry. I'm only interested in closed

Hope that helps
Finally what kind of music do you favor?

LQX

Yeah I've been reading that the Dekoni pads can change the sound sig. I have a pair of the Elite Velour on the way, to see if they up the comfort without destroying everything that makes the Teak so special. It really is a phenomenal sounding headphone.

I can't wait to see what the Jot does for them. My Geek Out is dead, and I'm going on 3 weeks without having heard back from LH Labs support.

Build quality is top notch on my E-MU. Thee jacks on mine have no issues. The stock cable was suspect though. I bought one of these and things have been great.

I haven't seen any reports of the cup finish issues that plagued the last couple X00 drops.

Good to know. They updated the cable on the latest ones they're selling so I guess they too did not think much of them. Thanks.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member

Really cool to see ya so satisfied with them. After the multibit comes in I'm planning to sit on my setup for a good chunk of a year and looking at the teaks or the m1060 beyond that. Hope LH gets back to you but with Schiit incoming you have new gear to rip into. Looking forward to your impressions, as always.

X-Frame

Is it safe to assume that successors to the Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 should be coming soon?

Those models are no longer for sale from their main website, unless I am missing it. I hope the 400S was not supposed to be the successor to the 400i.

matmanx1

Mine are nicely finished. Beautiful cups and perfect connectors. I do not use the stock cable. I haven't even removed it from the box. I use a custom cable by Jeffrey Dyson from Dyson audio. It's a 6 foot 4-pin XLR and it cost about $50 and is well made. I highly recommend his stuff as he makes good cables for a reasonable cost and you can reach him at cablearchitect@yahoo.com

The Jot sounds great on the Teaks. I tried it both with and without the Schiit Saga preamp in front of it. Without the Saga the Jot is crisp, clean and well-defined with that well-known forward headstage and aggressive signature.

With the Saga it sounds wider, a little warmer and less forward. Really the number one reason to run a Saga in front of the Jot is too improve / change the headstage and a lot of that is personal preference. I ran the Jot "naked" for many months before I decided to try a Saga in front of it. It sounds great both ways but I do like the way the Saga changes the soundstage in terms of width and air.

Asd202

Hello. I have a question regarding E17k Alpen 2 and PS4 Pro. Would I be able to connect those two devices using an optical cable from PS4 for example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BA4IOTY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

to E17K Alpen 2 while using an adapter such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V5HQAU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I realize original version of E17 had an optical in input while the revision Alpen 2 only has coaxial in. I'm not sure about this whole coaxial/optical inputs and how exactly it works.

Or will I need a additional converter from optical to coaxial?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HWZN4W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or maybe Alpen 2 work through USB just fine with PS4 if so how is the sound quality?

For reference my headphone are Sennheisers 598 cs and their connected to the controller but I want to connect to something that would give better sound quality. I don't care about Mics and stuff.

Here is the link to Alpen 2:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RPD7KP8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any experience from people using E17K Alpen 2 with a console would be really appreciated.

Heel

Bought the Philips SHP9500S + V-MODA BoomPro mic for use on PS4.

I'll let everyone know what I think in comparison to the Sony Wireless Golds as far as system compatibility, stereo vs. virtual surround, sound quality, mic quality etc.

Hopefully a decent upgrade. Seems like a nice deal for around $80 at the moment.

Is it safe to assume that successors to the Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 should be coming soon?

Those models are no longer for sale from their main website, unless I am missing it. I hope the 400S was not supposed to be the successor to the 400i.

Slap some focus A pads on the 400S and it's a better headphone than the 400i.

Personally I hope the 560 gets a new model not made up of $10 in parts. Sound quality was there but I've got $50 headphones with a more premium build than the 560.

X-Frame

Personally I hope the 560 gets a new model not made up of $10 in parts. Sound quality was there but I've got $50 headphones with a more premium build than the 560.

Really? Interesting. I have the 400i's myself, the 2.5mm version. I've heard of people swapping out the pads that come with the 400i's for others that promote better bass response and calm some treble, but apparently swapping the pads isn't a pop on and off ordeal, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to try it myself.

Would the 400i with new pads be better than the 400S with those pads?

AxeMan

For those genres the K545 are actually pretty capable. I'd also suggest the V-Moda M100's and Soundmagic HP150 and Focal Spirit Classic though those might be out of your range.

Thanks muchly.

The V-Moda's look good. Might be a little out of my price range though

matmanx1

One thing is for sure, I still really like and enjoy my 400S with the Focus A pads on them. They don't get quite as much use as my attractive woodies (ZMF Eikon and Emu Teak) but I am always pleasantly surprised at how good they sound when I use them. They are much more open and airy than the closed back headphones and have a nice, even frequency response. Tonality is spot on also, which is very important to me.

Really? Interesting. I have the 400i's myself, the 2.5mm version. I've heard of people swapping out the pads that come with the 400i's for others that promote better bass response and calm some treble, but apparently swapping the pads isn't a pop on and off ordeal, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to try it myself.

Would the 400i with new pads be better than the 400S with those pads?

The difference isn't enough to buy the 400S. Better off saving for something much better. The 400i is helped out a lot if you put some dampening material between the driver and earpad. Most commonly used is a single layer of toilet paper.

Big Blue

Found a deal on some Sol Republic Master Tracks XC (from Calvin Harris) and for $80 bucks these sound pretty damn good. I used to be a basshead in which bass>>>>>everything but now I need way more balance and these definitely fit the bill. I hate sharpness so the rolled off treble is perfect for me.

Heel

Hmm, honestly preferring the Sony Wireless Gold compared to the Philips SHP9500S for PS4 gaming.

It's not even about sound, which I haven't really delved into very deeply, it's the comfort. For all the talk of SHP9500S being supremely comfortable, they really do not feel good on my ears. Mileage may vary, obviously, but for me:

-Pads are too shallow, so my ears are touching on the inside

-Pads are so big, with not enough clamp, that it feels like the pads are not making a comfortable alignment or seal around my ears no matter how they're rotated. There's a noticeable gap behind my ears in the seal around my head that I find really distracting to attempt to adjust against on my head when I put them on.

Maybe spoiled by the HD6XX in that regard, but even the Sony Wireless Gold pads feel like a more comfortable clamp / alignment for extended use.

So yeah, maybe I'll stick with the Sony Wireless Golds or give the Platinums a try, which seem kind of mixed in reviews. Anyone tried both the Golds and Platinums to compare?

X-Frame

Hmm, honestly preferring the Sony Wireless Gold compared to the Philips SHP9500S for PS4 gaming.

It's not even about sound, which I haven't really delved into very deeply, it's the comfort. For all the talk of SHP9500S being supremely comfortable, they really do not feel good on my ears. Mileage may vary, obviously, but for me:

-Pads are too shallow, so my ears are touching on the inside

-Pads are so big, with not enough clamp, that it feels like the pads are not making a comfortable alignment or seal around my ears no matter how they're rotated. There's a noticeable gap behind my ears in the seal around my head that I find really distracting to attempt to adjust against on my head when I put them on.

Maybe spoiled by the HD6XX in that regard, but even the Sony Wireless Gold pads feel like a more comfortable clamp / alignment for extended use.

So yeah, maybe I'll stick with the Sony Wireless Golds or give the Platinums a try, which seem kind of mixed in reviews. Anyone tried both the Golds and Platinums to compare?

I went from the Sony Gold's to the Fidelio X2's plus the BoomPro and an Astro Mixamp for gaming. The X2's are very comfortable and also sound great for gaming.

I will admit that the Gold's are still probably slightly more comfortable for me for marathon sessions (wore them basically 12 hours straight for a Destiny blind raid), but the X2's I have no problem wearing for hours either. They're open versus the Gold's closed nature.

In the US the X2's don't seem to be for sale. We are waiting for the X2HR's which are a minor update that seems available in Europe.

They're more expensive than the Gold's but not that much more expensive then the Platinum's plus they're great music and movie headphones too. And you can use your BoomPro with them too.

Heel

I went from the Sony Gold's to the Fidelio X2's plus the BoomPro and an Astro Mixamp for gaming. The X2's are very comfortable and also sound great for gaming.

I will admit that the Gold's are still probably slightly more comfortable for me for marathon sessions (wore them basically 12 hours straight for a Destiny blind raid), but the X2's I have no problem wearing for hours either. They're open versus the Gold's closed nature.

In the US the X2's don't seem to be for sale. We are waiting for the X2HR's which are a minor update that seems available in Europe.

They're more expensive than the Gold's but not that much more expensive then the Platinum's plus they're great music and movie headphones too. And you can use your BoomPro with them too.

Think I'm just going to give up on the idea. Got the BoomPro earlier and chat audio in a private party is still too quiet for my taste even if I move the mix slider all the way to chat in the settings.

Maybe it's an SHP9500 thing, I dunno. Just going to stick with first party headsets for the convenience of the chat/game rocker, virtual surround, eq app, etc. Wasn't really dissatisfied with the Golds, just felt like seeing if there's an even better option out there. Will probably try the Platinum.

jwk94

Hey guys. Do y'all know of any good headphones for using with a guitar amp? My roommate has been playing his guitar without his amp because he doesn't have an adapter and doesn't want to disturb people. It's making me sad, so I figured for his birthday or Christmas, I'd get him some nice headphones and an adapter. I'm looking for something at max of $100 USD.

K.Jack

Hey guys. Do y'all know of any good headphones for using with a guitar amp? My roommate has been playing his guitar without his amp because he doesn't have an adapter and doesn't want to disturb people. It's making me sad, so I figured for his birthday or Christmas, I'd get him some nice headphones and an adapter. I'm looking for something at max of $100 USD.

Hilariously relevant article literally written yesterday.

Rukun

Neo Member
So my Audio Technica ATH-A900xs are finally starting to die. I can see why they quickly discontinued these (the pleather is peeling off and getting in my ears).

I'm looking for something of comparable quality or better, whatever the cost is.
The ATH-AD900X look about the same but the price seems too good to be true?

matmanx1

Sadness. My 6 month free Tidal sub ran out today. I decided to sub for real and actually pay them for a while. I've gotten to the point where I listen to Tidal as much or more than I watch Netflix and I have a rather large group of songs and albums on my "Favorite's" list so I will certainly get my money's worth.

LQX

So my Audio Technica ATH-A900xs are finally starting to die. I can see why they quickly discontinued these (the pleather is peeling off and getting in my ears).

I'm looking for something of comparable quality or better, whatever the cost is.
The ATH-AD900X look about the same but the price seems too good to be true?

There is also the ATH-A990Z which seems to be rare in the US but more popular in Japan and Europe. There was a recent mistake on it so you can now find a bunch on EBay well under $200 and I imagine they will get cheaper. Not many reviews but supposedly it was an update to your headphone or the ATH-AD900X....I think.

Bought a pair but have not had much time with them. They seem pretty damn decent though and the bass is insane. No idea if I will keep them.

K.Jack

Sadness. My 6 month free Tidal sub ran out today. I decided to sub for real and actually pay them for a while. I've gotten to the point where I listen to Tidal as much or more than I watch Netflix and I have a rather large group of songs and albums on my "Favorite's" list so I will certainly get my money's worth.

Oh shit, I got in on that the same day you did. Sadness indeed.

I seriously wish Spotify would hurry up with their Hi-Fi service. It was in closed testing back in March, and there hasn't been a single peep since.

I don't want to carry two subscriptions right now, but I've been spoiled by Tidal, even though the desktop client is seriously lacking.

matmanx1

I seriously wish Spotify would hurry up with their Hi-Fi service. It was in closed testing back in March, and there hasn't been a single peep since.

I don't want to carry two subscriptions right now, but I've been spoiled by Tidal, even though the desktop client is seriously lacking.

Yeah I've gotten really invested in Tidal at this point. I'm really spoiled with the sound quality, which is excellent. I usually have it open in a browser window on my PC or use the Andoid app, which is quite good if I am on the go.

wilflare

I've been thinking of giving Tidal a try... but does it really offer that much of a discernible upgrade over Spotify?

matmanx1

I've been thinking of giving Tidal a try... but does it really offer that much of a discernible upgrade over Spotify?

I would say it depends on what you do the majority of your listening on as to whether or not it is worth it for you. The nicer your DAC, Amp and headphones the more likely you are to be able to discern the difference.

Rukun

Neo Member
There is also the ATH-A990Z which seems to be rare in the US but more popular in Japan and Europe. There was a recent mistake on it so you can now find a bunch on EBay well under $200 and I imagine they will get cheaper. Not many reviews but supposedly it was an update to your headphone or the ATH-AD900X....I think.

Bought a pair but have not had much time with them. They seem pretty damn decent though and the bass is insane. No idea if I will keep them.

Thanks. Yeah the A990Z look a fair bit better than the ones I was looking at:
https://versus.com/en/audio-technica-ath-a990z-vs-audio-technica-ath-ad900x

Welp, I just sat in front of my PC to do some work, so I decided I was going to listen some nice music through my Asgard 2 too. As soon as I turned it on, I began to hear some nasty sounds coming from the right channel.

I looked through the amp's top grill and I realized one my cats peed on it and as a consequence, a good amount of the surface mounted components were looking darker than my luck. Totally burnt.

RIP Asgard 2.

Now I need another amp, I guess this time I'll try Magni 2 Uber.

PS: FUCKING CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meteorain

Picked up the Schiit Stack Uber just in time for the Bank Holiday Weekend.

Feels good to be able to put my AKG 702s to good use again ever since the Creative E5 started causing problems.

Still trying to suss out whether to go with Low or Hi gain for music listening.

andylsun

Welp, I just sat in front of my PC to do some work, so I decided I was going to listen some nice music through my Asgard 2 too. As soon as I turned it on, I began to hear some nasty sounds coming from the right channel.

I looked through the amp's top grill and I realized one my cats peed on it and as a consequence, a good amount of the surface mounted components were looking darker than my luck. Totally burnt.

RIP Asgard 2.

Now I need another amp, I guess this time I'll try Magni 2 Uber.

PS: FUCKING CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It might be worth trying to clean the board. Micro care Power clean is a great board cleaning solvent. Got to be worth a shot if the board is pretty much a write off. Darker components doesn't necessarily mean they are blown. Depends on how the board was made.

Might be worth asking Schiit if they can help or do a board replacement without you having to buy the whole unit again.

Top Bottom