• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unconfirmed: Gran Turismo 6 officially announced (Holiday 2013 / PS3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

UP2:

DI6Zcrh.jpg

Thanks@Hanmik

Supposedly Sony South Africa fucked up.

UP:
Note: El33tonline was notified of an embargo on this information only after we received the official press release and details. For this reason, we’ll have further details on Gran Turismo 6 at 18:00 (CET / South African) today.

http://www.el33tonline.com/post/201...ially-announced-at-15-year-anniversary-event/
Sony and developer Polyphony have today confirmed last week’s reports and formally announced Gran Turismo 6.

The latest addition to the long-running PlayStation-exclusive realistic racing series will become available during the ‘Holiday’ of 2013, and will launch on PlayStation 3.

http://technology.iafrica.com/news/games/859225.html
Article based on a Press Release
Sony Computer Entertainment has announced Gran Turismo 6, the latest version of PlayStation's best-selling franchise, will be released in the holiday season, 2013. The news was revealed today by Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi at an event held to celebrate 15 years of the top-selling series.

"GT6 for PlayStation 3 will bring new levels of authenticity to 'the Real Driving Simulator' as well as introducing stunning new tracks and cars and a revised user interface," a press statement read.

"A new compact game engine will improve operation and increase the flexibility to expand it with downloadable content."

The game is also set for connectivity with devices such as smartphones and tablets for social and community functions.

All of the cars and tracks from Gran Turismo 5 will be retained in GT6. But notable additions to the line-up of historic cars, road cars and the latest race cars, brings the total car list to 1200 at launch, with new cars set to be continually added online.

Several thousand aerodynamic parts and custom wheels will be available for almost all cars, and players can personalise their own custom cars in-game as well.

The UK's Silverstone Circuit will be one of seven new locations in Gran Turismo 6, taking the total to 33, with 71 different layouts available, 19 of them being new.

New tracks are also set to be made available online, while the course maker has also seen improvements.

The press statement confirmed that the GT Academy series, which sees Nissan and Sony team up to find real racing drivers, will be returning.

Other notable partnerships in the development of GT6 have been with tyre manufacturer Yokohama Rubber and suspension company KW Automotive.

"It is amazing to think that it is 15 years since we first released Gran Turismo," explained Kazunori Yamauchi, during the announcement at Silverstone Circuit.

"Things have changed a lot since then and now Gran Turismo 6 is a further evolution of my dream. We're pleased to deliver GT6 to PlayStation 3 as we have a very loyal community on that platform.

Why PS3?

Seems like a waste of resources developing for a console in its eleventh hour. I know the PS2 enjoyed sales into the release of PS3, but that might have been one of the reasons PS3 sucked for a few years after launch.

This does not compute.

Unless they're trying to stop existing PS3 owners from jumping in to Durango? But then they'll be deterring them from jumping in to PS4 at the same time.

Strange though. Whilst we are all excited about getting our PS4s with DriveClub, we'll all be wondering whether we should have just stuck with a PS3 + GT6 instead for the time being.

Dabanton

So that rumour was real.

As for why PS3. Polyphony are as we've seen not the fastest dev when it comes to releasing games in a timely fashion. If this was pushed to PS4 I wouldn't expect to see it until 2015

Volotaire

Why PS3?

Seems like a waste of resources developing for a console in its eleventh hour. I know the PS2 enjoyed sales into the release of PS3, but that might have been one of the reasons PS3 sucked for a few years after launch.

Drive Club is on the PS4 and the PS3 has a very high install base.

Moreover a new engine would take a lot of time.

Remember folks God of War 2 come out in March 2007 on the ps2, 5 months after the ps3 was out.

And I think its because GT5 took sooooo long to dev and sony spend so much money on it the engine and everything just needed to be used again.

Bedlam

What in the... ?

No word about some kind of PS3/4 cross-plattform functionality? That was the only way for me to rationalize the decision to release it on PS3 at that particular time. Well, there's still hope I guess.

People, this game need to be profitable. They are making money to prepare the move to PS4 that will cost much more in assets.

How can't you understand the most basic economic principles of this industry ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, Sony has that Drive Club game for PS4. Maybe they're going to have that be the "lead driving" game during the launch window.

Isn't this common tactics for them? Make one (GT1/3/5) then make a more polished one (GT2/4/6) near the end of the systems cycle.

ScOULaris

Why PS3?

Think about how long they took to produce GT5, a game that consisted largely of crudely upscaled cars and tracks from GT4. Now imagine how far off GT6 would be if it was being developed for the PS4. It would possibly never even see release at all, and if it did we'd probably just be playing with the same car models from GT5.

Nice, can we get a trailer now?

I just hope "All of the cars and tracks from Gran Turismo 5 will be retained in GT6" doesn't mean that standards are still in.

It is strange that this is not cross-platform. Sure it might impact on Drive club, but if anything they should do more to differentiate Drive Club, not the other way round. I am actually more interested in Drive Club than this, at the current stage.

I fear that this is going to look embarrasing next to the next-gen Forza :/

It'll most certainly be the best looking PS3 racer of all time, and for that it'll quite easily stand on its own two feet.
Remember folks God of War 2 come out in March 2007 on the ps2, 5 months after the ps3 was out.
Yes, but I got to play GoW2 on my fat PS3. I'm now going to have to think twice about selling or trading in my PS3 towards the PS4, as I imagine GT6 is going to be rather special.

1-D_FTW

Hopefully "launching on PS3" means a PS4 up-port isn't that far out.

They seem to be making a big deal out of DLC. Not sure how many people are going to be thrilled about buying DLC content if it doesn't transfer to PS4 on this. Sounds like a bit of waste of money for most people.

Perkel

Banned
- 1200 cars
- 33 tracks with 71 layouts
- almost all cars will have option to change wheels and add body kits

Let's see trailers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom