• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura Community Thread: Cuteness Is Justice, Ninjas Are Life

Dugna

Hope Xseed gets to announcing Estival Versus and SK2, I got SV on a whim like a week ago and it's all I've really been playing.

Eolz

To sort of reply to "that guy", I play it more for the plot/characters than the gameplay (apart from SK2). They are not bad games by any means, and can have some big flaws, but they are really improving with every game.

Hope Xseed gets to announcing Estival Versus and SK2, I got SV on a whim like a week ago and it's all I've really been playing.

2 was teased by Marvelous Europe again recently. EV will probably come afterwards.

Also, another vote for Homura best girl.
Ikaruga, Hikage, Daidoji and Miyabi complete the top 5.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
RIP Club Nintendo

igQ1iY2fFMVX5.gif

Chrom

Are the OVAs on the blu ray collection? I bought it on blu ray but haven't had the time to watch it yet.

The one by Funimation? That just has the regular series and none of the special episodes. Very disappointing actually, they had previously suggested that it'd include them but they ultimately were not featured.

Also, I was speaking of the new OVA included with Estival Versus. Nobody has seen that yet, haha.

Chrom

Well that's nice, I like when publishers and developers interact with the fans of a game :)

I do too. I've interacted with Takaki on Twitter in the past and it's always been a pleasure to have him reply, when he does. He even accepts friend requests by fans on Steam if you know where to find him.

The one by Funimation? That just has the regular series and none of the special episodes. Very disappointing actually, they had previously suggested that it'd include them but they ultimately were not featured.

Also, I was speaking of the new OVA included with Estival Versus. Nobody has seen that yet, haha.

So there's no special episodes for Ninja Flash or there is? I'm a little confused. Also going to get the EV OVA when it comes out.

Can you link me or pm me a link to where I can find the OVA versions if there are? Retail preferably. Not DDL. I like boxes.

>.>

Chrom

So there's no special episodes for Ninja Flash or there is? I'm a little confused. Also going to get the EV OVA when it comes out.

Yeah, I was speaking of Ninja Flash by Funimation. It has the 12 episodes, but none of the 6 special episodes.

Edit: I think there's a Japanese release that includes them? I honestly don't know, sorry.

Gematsu put up an EV post for Hebijo but all the screenshots, far as I could tell, were old. They were hidden in the post about the new trailer. Gematsu double dipped me.

Don't care. ;]

Edit: That Miyabi shot is a little NSFW...

Chrom

Gematsu put up an EV post for Hebijo but all the screenshots, far as I could tell, were old. They were hidden in the post about the new trailer. Gematsu double dipped me.

Don't care. ;]

Edit: That Miyabi shot is a little NSFW...

Yeah, I just saw that. I think at least the Miyabi shot is new? I'm only just seeing it today via the official Senran Kagura PR Twitter.

Regarding that particular shot, wow, haha. It's like she doesn't have any.

Yeah, I just saw that. I think at least the Miyabi shot is new? I'm only just seeing it today via the official Senran Kagura PR Twitter.

Regarding that particular shot, wow, haha. It's like she doesn't have any.

Everyone needs to go to Siliconera and look at the new DoA post. Right now. Do not go to jail. Skip directly past go and go right now.

Seen it? Good.

Now where is my DoA x SK !!! Can you imagine!?

Chrom

Everyone needs to go to Siliconera and look at the new DoA post. Right now. Do not go to jail. Skip directly past go and go right now.

Seen it? Good.

Now where is my DoA x SK !!! Can you imagine!?

Interesting... I think I had seen gifs of this engine at work before, but the video comparison is certainly new to me. It's no wonder there's a collaboration of some sort in the works.

Chrom

So for Valentine's Day, Marvelous Europe hosted a little popularity contest of sorts on their social media. Hikage was the most popular character on their Twitter, while Ikaruga was the most popular character on their Facebook. Keep in mind they only featured the Hanzo and Hebijo girls of Burst though, minus Daidouji and Rin.

So for Valentine's Day, Marvelous Europe hosted a little popularity contest of sorts on their social media. Hikage was the most popular character on their Twitter, while Ikaruga was the most popular character on their Facebook. Keep in mind they only featured the Hanzo and Hebijo girls of Burst though, minus Daidouji and Rin.

Yeah, I saw that. Weak results.Wish they could broaden their PR reach. MG only has 2000 followers. :[

I do too. I've interacted with Takaki on Twitter in the past and it's always been a pleasure to have him reply, when he does. He even accepts friend requests by fans on Steam if you know where to find him.

Wow that's awesome, shows that he genuinely cares about the fans and doesn't hide his creation behind corporate stuff. I wish more developers would do that, over the recent years I also found that Sony made immense strides with that, especially with Yoshida on Twitter.

Chrom

Wow that's awesome, shows that he genuinely cares about the fans and doesn't hide his creation behind corporate stuff. I wish more developers would do that, over the recent years I also found that Sony made immense strides with that, especially with Yoshida on Twitter.

Yep, exactly. I like whenever Takaki shares pictures of his room too. Maybe you've seen them already, but they're not surprising.

Yep, exactly. I like whenever Takaki shares pictures of his room too. Maybe you've seen them already, but they're not surprising.

Oh no I didn't, have a link? I admit I'm not yet that much into Senran Kagura as a whole but making my way through the English game now that slowly changes. I also have yet to play the 3DS game which I own already.

Sony is really good about that. Especially Sid Shuman and Yoshida. If you ask questions and they dont know right off the top of their head, they usually hit you with a "Let me get back to you" and that's the thing. They usually do.

Ive had alot of good experiences with PR teams and alot of bad experiences. I think the best experience I had was either Ubisoft with Splinter Cell and The Division or Sledgehammer at E3 with Call of Duty. My worst experience was with THQ and Homefront. Their PR guy was a real piece of work. Josh Hardin from ATLUS is really good too.

The laid back the better for most of the teams I have worked with in the past. I cant stand when people do a by the book, no detours interview or Q&A. Its so boring.

Chrom

Oh no I didn't, have a link? I admit I'm not yet that much into Senran Kagura as a whole but making my way through the English game now that slowly changes. I also have yet to play the 3DS game which I own already.

These aren't his latest photos, but Kotaku compiled some of them a few years back here.

Almost finished with Bon Appetit. Last school to finish is Crimson. Really fun game but it was my first in the genre so I stuck more towards easy. Most of hte time it's to easy till you go against Rin....then suddenly it's like playing on hard. At least for me lol.

Sir TapTap

RIP Club Nintendo

I believe my response was "ninja titties"

Almost finished with Bon Appetit. Last school to finish is Crimson. Really fun game but it was my first in the genre so I stuck more towards easy. Most of hte time it's to easy till you go against Rin....then suddenly it's like playing on hard. At least for me lol.

Any reason NOT to play this whole thing on easy? The dialog and "win" scenes with Hanzo can be pretty funny, but I'm poor at rhythm stuff and it doesn't really grip me otherwise.

Any reason NOT to play this whole thing on easy? The dialog and "win" scenes with Hanzo can be pretty funny, but I'm poor at rhythm stuff and it doesn't really grip me otherwise.

Ill be honest, the only reason I bought it was because of SK. I dont like rhythm games. The only other ones ive considered was Persona 4 Dancing all Night and Dragon Quest Theatrhythm.

Sony is really good about that. Especially Sid Shuman and Yoshida. If you ask questions and they dont know right off the top of their head, they usually hit you with a "Let me get back to you" and that's the thing. They usually do.

Ive had alot of good experiences with PR teams and alot of bad experiences. I think the best experience I had was either Ubisoft with Splinter Cell and The Division or Sledgehammer at E3 with Call of Duty. My worst experience was with THQ and Homefront. Their PR guy was a real piece of work. Josh Hardin from ATLUS is really good too.

The laid back the better for most of the teams I have worked with in the past. I cant stand when people do a by the book, no detours interview or Q&A. Its so boring.

Wow that's great to hear for the most part and I have to admit I'm surprised that Ubisoft made such a good impression, going by the things they usually pull off I would have assumed they are way more ridged and corporate. Sorry to hear about THQ and Homefront, I guess it really depends on the individual people Great to hear that Yoshida really is the nice person he seems to be, honestly I would love to chat with him about games and all once, must be a good a time :D

These aren't his latest photos, but Kotaku compiled some of them a few years back here.

Thanks! :) And wow okay... this must be a lifelong collection alright, I didn't expect it to be so packed but I guess in this case surrounding yourself with your work isn't too much of a negative thing.

Chrom

Posting scans isn't allowed here, but apparently the latest Famitsu (?) has new character artwork for Sayuri, both forms. In fact, the young Sayuri calls herself Jasmine and she looks really nice.

Sir TapTap

Ill be honest, the only reason I bought it was because of SK. I dont like rhythm games. The only other ones ive considered was Persona 4 Dancing all Night and Dragon Quest Theatrhythm.

I'm pretty bad at them but I bought Theatrhythm Curtain Call purely because of Final Fantasy music (and good reviews). I bought this one because it was supposed to be funny (it is) and the Xseed localization of Versus worked pretty well when it was going for humor. My biggest fear was actually Hanzo but he's (mostly) not a creep in it so it hasn't been too bad. I can win on Easy but I haven't tried the other modes yet.

Posting scans isn't allowed here, but apparently the latest Famitsu (?) has new character artwork for Sayuri, both forms. In fact, the young Sayuri calls herself Jasmine and she looks really nice.

Is that the old lady? Don't know any of the new names yet

Wow that's great to hear for the most part and I have to admit I'm surprised that Ubisoft made such a good impression, going by the things they usually pull off I would have assumed they are way more ridged and corporate. Sorry to hear about THQ and Homefront, I guess it really depends on the individual people Great to hear that Yoshida really is the nice person he seems to be, honestly I would love to chat with him about games and all once, must be a good a time :D

Thanks! :) And wow okay... this must be a lifelong collection alright, I didn't expect it to be so packed but I guess in this case surrounding yourself with your work isn't too much of a negative thing.

Bold 1: I got invited to a Ubi event two years ago for Splinter Cell and one this last year at E3 for The Division. They treated me like I was one of their own family members. They didnt address me by my last name. It was all first name basis like we were friends for years. It was a very nice experience. Sledgehammer did the same thing at E3. They loved getting group pictures and they all were excited when I asked them to sign my Modern Warfare 3, "Ive never done an autograph before! This is sweet!"

I do alot of media and voluntary QA work, but I like to have fun as well. It just makes it a better overall experience when you can cut through the crap with NDAs and waivers and just get down to games and have fun. Ive made suggestions in pre-alpha stages of games that get implemented in full retail. When you see the differences its astounding, especially to know that you were the one who raised your hand and asked, "What if we did it this way instead?"

Bold 2: My cork board at work has 8bit bead work characters from fighting games hanging up on it and badge holders from tournaments and events. Ive got my E3 and press badges up there. So far ive got Kasumi, Momiji, Sakura, Cammy, Rachel, and Trunks. I get one per tournament and I just started buying them this last year, so that shows how much I travel to promote and hype train.

Awesome to wake up to this thread.

#TeamHometown
#HomuraBestGirl

Also, does anyone have a list to which art books are available and the best sites to order from?

I am sticking with it...but I am not a 100% kinda guy so I have no need to try to get Plat on this game. If Rin's song is any indication of harder difficulties I will avoid it lol.

Only other game I have like this is the K-On game for PS3. Have yet to play it but I might now.

Josephl64

I am sticking with it...but I am not a 100% kinda guy so I have no need to try to get Plat on this game. If Rin's song is any indication of harder difficulties I will avoid it lol.

Only other game I have like this is the K-On game for PS3. Have yet to play it but I might now.

just going to put up a slight warning and say that this rhythm game is the easiest I've ever played, and K-ON!'s is significantly harder...to be honest it's harder to me than any other one I've ever played(although that's mostly due to how they set up the bar lines and where you have to hit the notes). I'd suggest just playing it by ear instead of watching it when you play it...then again you might not find it to be an issue like I did.

just going to put up a slight warning and say that this rhythm game is the easiest I've ever played, and K-ON!'s is significantly harder...to be honest it's harder to me than any other one I've ever played(although that's mostly due to how they set up the bar lines and where you have to hit the notes). I'd suggest just playing it by ear instead of watching it when you play it...then again you might not find it to be an issue like I did.

Gotcha, I really just bought it to add it to my K-On collection. Had to hehe.

I will try it but sounds like I won't get far.

Sir TapTap

Awesome to wake up to this thread.

#TeamHometown
#HomuraBestGirl

Also, does anyone have a list to which art books are available and the best sites to order from?

I was sort of wondering what non-gaming content there is that's worth buying. There's some manga and an anime series, right? So far I only have games and the figure packs. Most of the non-chibi figures are too rich for my blood as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Criticism:
Unskippable Clothbreaking animation gets stale quick. It is not like supers in fighting game at all where you input special buttons combination for a super. SK's Clothbreaking animation comes at the middle of your combo or most of the time, randomly. Disruptive gameplay.

They are skippable. The fact that you're complaining about a fraction of a second is really just nitpicking. Most people are playing this game to see the clothes breaking animation. It's really not disruptive at all. I have never dropped a combo due to this animation.

Horrible loading time in the whole game, going to the next unskippable cutscene take 1-2 minutes to load, even going back to the main menu after the cutscene takes another 1-2 minutes loading.

I agree to an extent. The loading time could use some improvements for sure, but I contend that SKSV is one of the best looking games on the Vita with the most effects, and that's probably where most of the loading is coming from. It's a huge improvement over Burst's framerate and loading, and I can only hope that Takaki and crew will be even better at this with Estival Versus.

Stages are all tiny and the same with the same enemies. No new weapon, no new upgrade, no animals/vehicles, no specific stage interaction, no field advantage, no strategy can be made, no ally to fight alongside you.

The stages aren't "tiny". They're pretty average sized. You notice this in particular if you play multiplayer. There is a lot of diversity in terms of level design and size. There aren't upgrades and weapons because the game isn't an RPG or Musou. I wouldn't even want stage interactions or field advantage. It really sounds like you want to play Dynasty Warriors, which is not what this game is.

Horrible camera work. Unable to track your character or enemies or your locked in enemies most of the time. Unable to switch camera angle or zoom in/out. lock on feature doesn't work as it just randomly lock on an enemy? you need to touch the screen to lock on but of course it's not accurate either.

The camera is VERY similar to Ninja Gaiden Black. Having played hundreds of hours of that game, I had really no trouble with the camera at all, but I can see people without that experience having some difficulty. The key is hitting the trigger to recenter the camera a lot. There's a soft lock on, but there's also a hard lock on by tapping the screen or pressing up on the d-pad. It's extremely accurate. I've never had a problem with not being locked onto a boss.

Shallow gameplay is totally exercise in repetition. Slash some enemies and nothing else literally. Non boss fight are totally a waste of time as they don't provide any challenge or varieties. block or parry is never used at all even at the hardest difficulty.

The gameplay isn't the deepest, but the fact that you can perform block cancels, jump cancels, and parries makes it really fun. If you've played online, then you know that there it's more than simply mashing slash. There's a good deal under the surface if you want to dig deeper.

broken gameplay as some characters are easily much more overpowered than the others.

Why do you need character balance in the campaign? Rin and Daidoji are overpowered in single player, but all the characters have been toned down in multiplayer. Balance in single player is really only important on your first playthrough to set pacing. Online Daidoji is ridiculously slow and Rin dies in a few big hits.

even the plot itself is unoriginal, repetitive and tiresome. sets of ninjas challenge some other ninjas in some kind of ninja school battle thing, and that's it. awkward sex “jokes” and unsubtle dialogue mixed with unfittingly tragic backstories and anime “power of friendship” resolutions has been done over and over again.

I like the plot and characters. It's not super original, but I certainly wouldn't call it repetitive or tiresome. But hey, it's not for everyone, and certain school's stories aren't as well written or paced as the others.

Unacceptable framerate and graphics and animation. gens behind in the graphics department compared to similar games. music and voice acting are nothing special either.

I actually fundamentally disagree with this. SKSV is one of the best looking games on the Vita, and the framerate isn't bad at all. Animation and effects are fine. Voice acting is fantastic. Music is solid.

all girl's life and hometown size are the same. and most of them are like 10 years old?

This is just false on both counts.

At the end of the day, I only see your complaints about loading times and the lack of difficulty as criticisms I can agree with. The other changes you want would change the formula, and not necessarily in a positive way. SK isn't a war simualtion Musou. You're not supposed to use terrain or vehicles. And I don't really know if adding RPG elements would make the game better. It would just add fluff for the sake of adding fluff, which I don't think is smart design.

I do wish they fleshed out the game's multiplayer. I think there should be more options and settings, such as eliminating items or mobs.

I was sort of wondering what non-gaming content there is that's worth buying. There's some manga and an anime series, right? So far I only have games and the figure packs. Most of the non-chibi figures are too rich for my blood as well.

I have both Manga's printed in english so far. A local store had them. Theres a third one coming out in April I think with Katsu on the cover. The MSRP is like 12.99 EA. Theyre soft covers. The figures range from 85-200$. I only bought the Katasu one from Griffon so far but I might get some more... Not sure... If they make one of the new girl with the hammer I will buy her.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The artbooks and visual collections are really good and very high quality.

Sir TapTap

I agree to an extent. The loading time could use some improvements for sure, but I contend that SKSV is one of the best looking games on the Vita with the most effects, and that's probably where most of the loading is coming from. It's a huge improvement over Burst's framerate and loading, and I can only hope that Takaki and crew will be even better at this with Estival Versus.

I do wish they fleshed out the game's multiplayer. I think there should be more options and settings, such as eliminating items or mobs.

Past experience with Vita and PS4 games would suggest Estival will probably have crazy low PS4 loading times but the games will probably always have loading times on Vita. Loading times are pretty much always an issue on Vita, I've come to accept it.

Personally, the biggest thing I want from multiplayer is 1v1. I have no idea why it's based around 2v2 or 4 player free-for-all. I'd challenge friends for 1v1 but I have no interest in 4 or 10 player matches, that's just random shit happening.

The artbooks and visual collections are really good and very high quality.

That's good to know. I like things like that in theory but Im' always terrified of breaking spines so I rarely look at them much. I wish more were like Half Life:Raising the Bar, big sturdy book, lots of art and tons of behind the scenes info. It's probably my single favorite bit of gaming "literature" of whatever you'd call that. And Iv'e never been afraid of breaking it's spine, it's not too stiff, and is hardcover

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
multiplayer is 1v1. I have no idea why it's based around 2v2 or 4 player free-for-all. I'd challenge friends for 1v1 but I have no interest in 4 or 10 player matches, that's just random shit happening.

Yeah, I'd definitely like this as well.

The closest you can get to this is to fill up two slots with lvl 1 AI, where they'll do pretty much nothing. And you can choose the final stage so that no mobs spawn.

L.O.R.D

i just started the second game on 3DS thanks to the region free trick
OMG, this game is fast
its like 60 FPS or something
comparing it to the first one , its like the first one played in 20 FPS

start playing then i got to use 2 characters
now i don't know where to go , i wish i can know some japanese

Top Bottom