• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother bear KILLS CUB and THEN ITSELF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valnen

There are few real life cases in which I think humans deserve death for their treatment of animals, but this is one of them.

GreekWolf

Tragic story, but is anyone really surprised?

image_zpsfd093fe0.jpg

bjb

Banned
Wait, how does the mother know to kill the child to end it's suffering and then off herself?

Seems to display a rather impressive set of cognitive functioning for a bear...

Re-quoting my question since it was @ the bottom of the last page. Hoping we have a few animal experts here.

Is that specific incident just coincidence or do bears actually have sufficient intelligence to realize such things?

Wait, how does the mother know to kill the child to end it's suffering and then off herself?

Killing one's young when it is unlikely to survive is a pretty common behavior throughout the animal kingdom. Most mammals also experience emotions, more-so if you're a relatively complex mammal like the bear, so if you add these two behaviors you more or less gets the "kills the cubs so that it won't suffer".

Tragic story, but is anyone really surprised?

image_zpsfd093fe0.jpg

:(
Sigh.

bjb

Banned
Killing one's young when it is unlikely to survive is a pretty common behavior throughout the animal kingdom. Most mammals also experience emotions, more-so if you're a relatively complex mammal like the bear, so if you add these two behaviors you more or less gets the "kills the cubs so that it won't suffer".

Interesting. The article says she went to protect it, though. Is it possible she inadvertently suffocated it?

Also the idea of any mammal (besides humans) killing itself is fascinating to me. I wasn't aware they had the emotional awareness / capacity to do such a thing.

suzu

It's one thing to hate on the people doing this, it's another to say the entire country should go fuck itself.

Interesting. The article says she went to protect it, though. Is it possible she inadvertently suffocated it?

Also the idea of any mammal (besides humans) killing itself is fascinating to me. I wasn't aware they had the emotional awareness / capacity to do such a thing.

Sure, but it's a bit of a stretch that she accidentally suffocated it. The problem of ascribing emotional capacity and human like thought processes to these acts of "mercy killings" is it can be found among almost all mammals (and birds), while cognitive complexity differs greatly across these two animal kingdoms.

With that caveat out of the way, bears are actually pretty intelligent (in terms of observed behaviour, they are quite close to primates) and the mercy killings could in their case consist of more than an instinctual survival mechanism.

zoukka

That cat picture is even worse. Fuck that country.

It's ok if they are grown for food really. Pigs are way more intelligent and would suffer more in similar conditions.

Why? Anyone that would do something like this is barely even worth calling human.

What about you, who just murdered some people because you didn't agree on their national beliefs and practices.

bjb

Banned
Sure, but it's a bit of a stretch that she accidentally suffocated it. The problem of ascribing emotional capacity and human like thought processes to these acts of "mercy killings" is it can be found among almost all mammals (and birds), while cognitive complexity differs greatly across these two animal kingdoms.

With that caveat out of the way, bears are actually pretty intelligent (in terms of observed behaviour, they are quite close to primates) and the mercy killings could in their case consist of more than an instinctual survival mechanism.

Thanks for the responses. I'm reading up on it now, but it seems to be a hotly contested debate among scientific communities as to whether or not animals actually commit suicide.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Couldn't the cat picture have gone behind a link? I can only internalize just so much rage from reading a single thread.

NinjaBoiX

Well they're predators, so they'll be fully aware or life, death, pain and injury. Plus, it's her cub, she'll know if it's in pain or unhappy.

Dead Man

It's ok if they are grown for food really. Pigs are way more intelligent and would suffer more in similar conditions.

What about you, who just murdered some people because you didn't agree on their national beliefs and practices.

Troll post?

GreekWolf

Not surprised, wish it was legal to kill the people doing it though.

That cat picture is even worse. Fuck that country.

You and me both. I've learned a long time ago to simply not say anything about the Chinese, as I simply can't find anything positive to say. I realize it's reprehensible to unfairly judge an entire culture based on personal differences (yes, I know cats and dogs are food), but I just can't seem to care. I hope that will change at some point.

usea

Re-quoting my question since it was @ the bottom of the last page. Hoping we have a few animal experts here.

Is that specific incident just coincidence or do bears actually have sufficient intelligence to realize such things?
The idea that a bear could envision a sub-standard adult life for its cub and base its decisions on that prediction seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Even assuming the events actually took place as described (which is a stretch imo without further evidence).. There are many reasons for the behavior that seem much more likely to me than some kind of fucking murder/suicide on the bear's part.

bjb

Banned
Well they're predators, so they'll be fully aware or life, death, pain and injury. Plus, it's her cub, she'll know if it's in pain or unhappy.

I'm not doubting the animals instinct. If anything - I'm just completely blown away that a mammal (non-human) has the capacity to knowingly take it's own life.

The idea that a bear could envision a sub-standard adult life for its cub and base its decisions on that prediction seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Even assuming the events actually took place as described (which is a stretch imo without further evidence).. There are many reasons for the behavior that seem much more likely to me than some kind of fucking murder/suicide on the bear's part.

Indeed. The story itself raises a lot of questions.

hym

Banned

Not that I think it's a great benchmark to decide which animals to breed for food but according to this ranking cats are smarter than pigs.

Personally I don't eat mammals, I just don't have an emotional connection with creatures that lay eggs.

Thanks for the responses. I'm reading up on it now, but it seems to be a hotly contested debate among scientific communities as to whether or not animals actually commit suicide.

Plenty of animals kill themselves, but yeah there are questions surrounding that whole topic.

Is it depression, a mental state which result in a loss of the survival instinct or an outright desire to kill oneself?
Or is it instinctual, a consequence of kin selection giving rise to suicidal behaviors when they are beneficial to the kin of the suicidal animal?

anaron

Poaching and fur farming are just...the most abhorrent, overlooked practices in this world as far as I'm concerned. It's cuts me up knowing we live in a world where people truly lack any sort of empathy and are allowed to function without it.

zoukka

Fuck cultural relativity. Countless atrocities are excused in the name of it.

Like murdering people?

Not that I think it's a great benchmark to decide which animals to breed for food but according to this ranking cats are smarter than pigs.

Several search results tell me pigs are smarter than dogs (can operate a simple user interface, unlike dogs), but I think we can agree the intelligence is fairly similar. Like dogs, pigs know many emotions like boredom. Which is why their treatment is all the more cruel.

Call PeTA to go over there and fuck their shit up. This is disgusting.

Sorry but GAF hates PETA and everything they do. Especially the videogames.

SmokeMaxX

I don't see why it's so hard to believe. People are animals too, just with more intelligence. Our defining characteristic is MORE intelligence, not HAS intelligence. People want to make the distinction that humans are somehow better than all other animals. In reality, we're not so different. A lot of what humans do can be found in other animals. A lot of what animals do can be found in humans. I believe there are several instances in nature where mothers will kill their young if they sense danger. And I'm also sure that animals commit suicide. Documenting such things is extremely difficult though.

bjb

Banned
Plenty of animals kill themselves, but yeah there are questions surrounding that whole topic.

Is it depression, a mental state which result in a loss of the survival instinct or an outright desire to kill oneself?
Or is it instinctual, a consequence of kin selection giving rise to suicidal behaviors when they are beneficial to the kin of the suicidal animal?

Each spectrum of the debate is rather intriguing. Particularly considering how little we still know regarding the pathology and certain mechanisms of the human brain. Seems it would be difficult to conclude anything for any mammal.

But you're absolutely right - creatures vary in neurological complexity, that much is certain. On a related note; I found this story fascinating as well (granted it's Daily Mail):

In the past fifty years, 50 to 600 dogs have jumped over Scotland's Overtoun Bridge and plummeted to their deaths. Several years ago, five dogs jumped in under six months. The Daily Mail has featured reports of horrified pet owners who walked their dog over the bridge and, without warning, saw their pet leap over the bridge falling 50 ft to the rocky bottom below. Perhaps even more disturbing, there are reports of "second timers" -- dogs who have survived the fall and jumped over the same bridge again.

Many theories have circulated about why dogs react this way to the bridge. Some suggest that the dogs are deliberately committing suicide, perhaps due to depression in their owners or even a supernatural force. More recent research suggests that it may be the scent of minks, an animal known to live under the bridge.

I don't see why it's so hard to believe. People are animals too, just with more intelligence. Our defining characteristic is MORE intelligence, not HAS intelligence. People want to make the distinction that humans are somehow better than all other animals. In reality, we're not so different. A lot of what humans do can be found in other animals. A lot of what animals do can be found in humans. I believe there are several instances in nature where mothers will kill their young if they sense danger. And I'm also sure that animals commit suicide. Documenting such things is extremely difficult though.

It's not that I believe what you're saying isn't true, I just chose to remain skeptical at this point.

zoukka

You seem to want to piss off both sides of the argument, what's your problem? Just trolling?

These are not innocent people we're talking about.

You want it spelled out to you? Your wish to kill these people is completely irrational. It will not change anything. The problem is in the chinese culture, politics and tradition. People are not taught to feel empathy towards certain animals, so they don't feel it. Just like you don't if you eat meat, or use products that have been tested for animals. There'a also aspects like poverty, high demand for tiger penises and bear bile from people in high positions and of wealth.

You come off childish and in bloodlust. Without empathy. So exactly the same as what you are accusing these people of.

fuck China and their bullshit undereducated rural communities killing animals for their fake ass "medicine".

there's a good chance that by the time i have kids old enough to take to a zoo, the tiger section will just be a bunch of pictures.

Yeah, fuck 'em.
Sad thing is, China doesn't even believe in human rights, so what can you expect? I'm not even shocked any more.

There are few real life cases in which I think humans deserve death for their treatment of animals, but this is one of them.

With you on this. At least my gut tells me that.
Obviously, there are better solutions.

bjb

Banned
Documenting such things is extremely difficult though.

Oh, and you're absolutely spot on. Found this quote as well:

The Endeavour paper points to Iberian folklore on suicidal scorpions; when surrounded by flames, they will sting themselves in the back. In the early 1880s in Britain, a debate on the topic blossomed after a London zoologist placed a scorpion in a glass container, administered chloroform and claimed he observed the animal trying to sting itself. To prove him wrong, the psychologist Conwy Lloyd Morgan set up a series of traps for the critters. "He surrounded them with fire, condensed sunbeams on their backs, heated them in a bottle, burned them with phosphoric acid, treated them with electric shocks and subjected them to 'general and exasperating courses of worry,' " notes the Endeavour article.

Source

You want it spelled out to you? Your wish to kill these people is completely irrational. It will not change anything. The problem is in the chinese culture, politics and tradition. People are not taught to feel empathy towards certain animals, so they don't feel it. Just like you don't if you eat meat, or use products that have been tested for animals. There'a also aspects like poverty, high demand for tiger penises and bear bile from people in high positions and of wealth.

You come off childish and in bloodlust. Without empathy. So exactly the same as what you are accusing these people of.

Got em'. Rack him.

Valnen, You ever feel that you were born 700 years too late sometimes?
Ever think that laying down your life for your beliefs engaged in battle would be the most fulfilling death possible?
Or that some cultures are irredeemable and that a swift death is the only fitting punishment?

These are normal thoughts, and we all have them. Who HASN'T wished death on foreigners for their wrong way of doing whatever?

However, these completely normal and healthy thoughts seem to be slightly more prevalent and powerful in your case. All things in moderation now!

WARCOCK

Banned

You spent entirely too much time trying to reason with that dipshit.

Valnen

Valnen, You ever feel that you were born 700 years too late sometimes?
Ever think that laying down your life for your beliefs engaged in battle would be the most fulfilling death possible?
Or that some cultures are irredeemable and that a swift death is the only fitting punishment?

These are normal thoughts, and we all have them. Who HASN'T wished death on foreigners for their wrong way of doing whatever?

However, these completely normal and healthy thoughts seem to be slightly more prevalent and powerful in your case. All things in moderation now!

More like 700 years too soon, before all this has been deal with already.

Not everything is okay just because it's tradition or culture. Do you support everything people do if it might be in their culture, religion, or tradition? Do you support honor killings too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom