• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hankster

At least iOS didn't murder my mom phone's battery with an update. 8.1 made her Lumia 620 last like 5h in stand-by with all background apps turned off, and it still wasn't fixed with any of the updates.
So you tried iOS on her 620 and it was better?

It's a budget phone, yes, don't see what's the problem with that. The battery is small, indeed, but I'm comparing the battery life now compared to how it was under WP8. And back when I installed the preview, well, such problems weren't really known.

Who's enrolled in the developer preview program is supposed to have the final build now or only the Lumia Cyan update will bring the final build?
Dev preview is final build. Just waiting on firmware updates to fix battery problems and enable Bluetooth 4.0 LE

derFeef

I have a 630 now because my 920 died, or at least was close to. It's a nice budgetphone with only the screen being really the "shitty" standout. Bring on the next flagship Nokia/MS.

I really wish the FB chat integration will be put back in the final version. It's so cumbersome to have to open the slow ass app to reply. The rest seems good.

Rosur

Looking forward to this update on my 920 any idea if this is July for the UK as well?

Also currently working on an 8.1 app (currency converter). I should look at adding Cortana support to it...

Nanoman

Neo Member
And now the wait for Lumia Cyan begins.
I also wonder how long it will take for Cortana to support my native language (Dutch). Apple also doesn't support it with Siri but they just enabled it in English so you're not missing out on any features.

And I know you can just change your language and enable Contrana but I would like to keep my phone's interface in Dutch.

Paganmoon

Great OT Brot!

Doesn't seem like any country, atleast in Europe has gotten 1020 cyan update available, man, come on, anyone in US got it yet?

Also, why no tagline for OT? Do we not deserve one?

OT | Now with 5% market share on NeoGAF!

And now the wait for Lumia Cyan begins.
I also wonder how long it will take for Cortana to support my native language (Dutch). Apple also doesn't support it with Siri but they just enabled it in English so you're not missing out on any features.

And I know you can just change your language and enable Contrana but I would like to keep my phone's interface in Dutch.

Not that simple, you need to change the phone's region to enable Cortana, which in turn will mean you'll be locked out of your local country apps (if they're region locked).

Nanoman

Neo Member
Not that simple, you need to change the phone's region to enable Cortana, which in turn will mean you'll be locked out of your local country apps (if they're region locked).
Yeah I know, luckily there aren't that many apps that are region locked (I've encountered none so far).

Not looking forward to having to upgrade my phone when it eventually dies. The Lumia 920 screen is already pushing it for how big I want my phone to be and the new flagships just got bigger.

ZncZhrn.png

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not looking forward to having to upgrade my phone when it eventually dies. The Lumia 920 screen is already pushing it for how big I want my phone to be and the new flagships just got bigger.

ZncZhrn.png

It's all about the form factor. The LG G3 is very nice due to the shape of its sides and back despite having a massive 5.5-inch screen. Meanwhile, the smaller Xperia Z2 looks and feels like a goddamned brick.

Square lines = PITA. That's why I like my 920 so much. It's a beastly phone in terms of thickness and weight, yet very nice to hold.

Tablo

ZncZhrn.png

This is me. D: I'd be so ecstatic to have a lighter 920 styled flagship.

Nanoman

Neo Member
There are a few in Sweden, some payment apps, and some airline apps are region locked (don't ask me why).
Yeah I guess some payment apps might be region locked. However, there are also apps like the Comedy Central app that are only available in the American store but after reverting my region back to The Netherlands the app still works fine.
I wonder if Microsoft will someday patch this behaviour out.

I love WP, but I hate 8.1

What have they done with my hubs, man! The Messaging hub is now SMS only, I cannot chat with my wife who is still on 8.0 and uses the Messenger service. Skype hardly works, and just like Facebook they are now cumbersome seperate apps. Same with podcasts and radio in the Music hub and social integration in the people hub.

Sorry I think it's all backwards. And yeah, the Action Center. It's only use is to shut up Android fanboys that riducled us for not having one. Well I didn't really need it, I'd rather have the main OS wasn't borked like it is now.

Please tell me at least Skype will be native to the Messaging hub in the near future. Please.

Alx

Not entirely excited by that update... of course I would have been if Cortana was supported here. :/
Being able to swipe for back/forward commands in IE will be appreciated though. And I hope the calendar compatibility with Google will be complete (right now I don't think entries on my phone are pushed to the Google servers)

The Xbox Music app is making me so mad now!

Before it worked fine, now whenever I try to play a song, I get an error pop up I have to tap away saying "ERROR! COULD NOT FIND THIS FILE ON YOUR PHONE!", yet after tapping that away, If I just hit the play button the music starts. Every time I try to play a song. It's a nuisance that keeps me from hearing my music for a few seconds.

Thank you, guys. The OT still needs some polish, but I'm on it.

brot hanging on so tight to this dream.

The only thing I'm dreaming about is a red Nexus 5 (2014) with twice the battery life. Seriously. I could slap myself for not getting on the deal I found.

HEY OP I can't wait for your update when Android apps hit the marketplace

If that happens, then I'll just do what has been suggested in the old thread and post the OT in the Android thread.

Also, why no tagline for OT? Do we not deserve one?

OT | Now with 5% market share on NeoGAF!

Not a fan of taglines.

ZncZhrn.png

Like Funky Papa said, it's all about the form factor. The 920 is huge for a phone with a 4.5" screen. The 930 has a 5" screen and is barely bigger.

W4jFdSP.jpg

How do we do this?

4lXszBr.png

Like I wrote in the OP, the custom lock screen feature is still in development and you're going to need a device with 1 GB RAM to use them, so anything below the Lumia 820 is out.

that cortana loading, good job
Nice OT. Great animations.
I love this thing.
Awesome OT! Love the Cortana animations.

Thanks! I like the Cortana animations too much to not include them properly. Still images obviously don't do them justice. They did a really good job with them.

fabulous OT. it definitely fits the classy and sleek design of WP8.1

Android 5.0 OT is next!
Just kidding.

Blearth

Banned
I need a cheap smart device to hook up to my work's stereo for Pandora, Youtube etc.

Is the Lumia 521 a good choice for $69 or is there something worthwhile for less?

Carton

Will the WP 8.1 version of IE be able to go full screen (i.e. hide the address bar) like the fantastic tablet equivalent? From the videos i've seen, it doesn't appear to unless in Reading view, but i still hold out hope for it.

Waiting (im)patiently for the Lumia Cyan update. The developer preview drinks my 620's battery juice like an alcoholic. Then I can correctly evaluate the platform.

But IE will always be awful. Good god, Microsoft...

Will the WP 8.1 version of IE be able to go full screen (i.e. hide the address bar) like the fantastic tablet equivalent? From the videos i've seen, it doesn't appear to unless in Reading view, but i still hold out hope for it.

IE does not have a full screen mode anymore. IE8 in Windows Phone 7 had it, when you rotated to landscape mode, but people complained about it and now the address bar is always visible.

But IE will always be awful. Good god, Microsoft...

What issues does IE still have that aren't related to the UA String detection?

hwalker84

I need a cheap smart device to hook up to my work's stereo for Pandora, Youtube etc.

Is the Lumia 521 a good choice for $69 or is there something worthwhile for less?

Is this device just going to be a music player? If so just get the 520 for $50

Whats the strongest hardware running this right now and on the horizon?

Right now it's the Lumia 930 and 1520. Both have a Snapdragon 800 quad-core at 2.2 GHz and 2 GB RAM. The 1525 is supposed to come out soon and got a Snapdragon 801, which is just an overclocked 800.

Then we might get completely new devices this Fall.

Top Bottom