• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Survios, the developer behind Raw Data, showed off a new game at GDC called Sprint Vector. UploadVR has a preview.

Also of note (but slightly old), Raw Data will be getting official Touch support and a release on Oculus Home sometime in March.

I love how "slightly old" now means "announced yesterday." Hilarious indication of the times we're living in!

Also worth noting, Raw Data will have a new content update (on both platforms) to go along with the launch on Oculus.

TheExodu5

Banned
So what are your favorite games at the moment?

Touch:
I Expect You To Die
Knockout League

Gamepad:
Landfall (only played the beta, but loved it)
Werewolves Within (technically it's awful, but the experience is great)

Cockpit:
Elite: Dangerous

Notable mention:
Superhot VR (fantastic showcase piece)

TheExodu5

Banned
My Rift came today and I have played a few hours with the touch. Overall impressions are positive, but not without some big issues.

I like the headset, it's lighter and comfier than the Vive. The visual differences are small imo, more god rays and bigger sweet spot are the standouts. The head strap is so much better than the Vive's though and the built in headphones are better than I expected.

The Touch controllers are good, but I don't think they are hugely better than the Vive's, only slightly. I could happily live with either but I do like having analogue sticks over the track pad.

Now the biggest difference... Tracking. Coming from the Vive, the Rift's Touch tracking is serviceable at best. It really lets the whole experience down. I think I have had more tracking issues in those few hours than my entire time with the Vive, a third sensor is essential imo which makes it more expensive than the Vive, and that's my problem. If I were to recommend either to someone I would still recommend the Vive unless they were strictly playing seated sim games.

My ideal set up would be Rift headset with Vive tracking and either of the controllers.

I haven't tried the Vive yet, but I have similar feelings. It's really a shame. Lighthouse is just a much better implementation when it comes to roomscale tracking.

I'm really unhappy with the state of VR right now. There is no best headset (Vive has far better roomscale, Oculus has asynchronous timewarp and better ergonomic). And then the marketplace is fragmented thanks to Oculus.

I just kind of hope that Oculus Home fades into irrelevance and we can have a fully open VR market place. At this point, it's a shame, because I want to play several Oculus only titles, but I'm hesitant to support their marketplace in any way.

Kevin

Touch for $99 is now making me seriously consider it. I have a Rift but have not kept up on anything the last few months.

How are the games these days? Any more recent titles stand out and are worth checking out for Rift and/or Touch?

Touch for $99 is now making me seriously consider it. I have a Rift but have not kept up on anything the last few months.

How are the games these days? Any more recent titles stand out and are worth checking out for Rift and/or Touch?

If you're already "in" for a Rift you should absolutely double down and get the Touch controllers...They change the experience as much as going from non-vr to VR IMHO.

Super hot is IMHo a must buy for everyone.

I expect you to die is a fun series of "escape room" puzzles with a James bond theme. You get to smoke a cigar whilst puzzling a car out of the back of a flying airplane.

Riptwo

Got to play the first two levels of Robo Recall, and it's the most fun I've had in VR yet. The environments are great, and it seems like there are a ton of combat options, plus it's the first VR shooter that I've played where I haven't felt somehow boxed in or fought with the movement options.

Superhot was my previous gold standard, but this seems like it could easily be my new baseline for VR gaming!

Extra sensors got a price drop too. They are now $59 USD.

Damn, nice! Robo Recall is amazing fun, and the graphics beat everything else on the market by a pretty good margin. Only thing I wish it offered was analog locomotion, although they implemented the teleportation system really well.

Good God, Robo Recall is the best VR experience I've had. Supremely polished and just tons of fun.

I felt like Reaper with the double wielding shotguns.

Can't believe how ripped off I feel, spending £180 on Touch not that long ago, and now they're £90.

Changing the subject, does anyone have three sensors up and running, and if so how well is it working? Can't find the adjusted UK price for the extra sensor, the website looks flashy but it's not great to navigate.

Can't believe how ripped off I feel, spending £180 on Touch not that long ago, and now they're £90.

Changing the subject, does anyone have three sensors up and running, and if so how well is it working? Can't find the adjusted UK price for the extra sensor, the website looks flashy but it's not great to navigate.

I have 3 sensors. Oculus just released a 1.12 update that improved tracking with 3, I tested it and it was noticeably better for me. I have 2 of my sensors wall mounted and one on a desk and have full coverage with my 12' by 9' area.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I bought mine in December and am looking to sell mine. Now I have to take $200 off my sell price. I feel pretty burned by Oculus as a whole. That said, asking the same price as the Vive was a bad decision--the headset just isn't up to par with the Vive.

vermadas

That said, asking the same price as the Vive was a bad decision--the headset just isn't up to par with the Vive.

The Vive does a few things better:
- Overall positional tracking quality and fewer barriers to setting up larger roomscale environment
- Lighthouses not tethered to the PC using up USB resources and causing more cable clutter
- Slightly more FoV
- Usually more accommodating to people with glasses

Everything else is debatable or objectively better with the Rift. So I don't see an issue with the matching price. Though I do think that the Touch controllers by themselves should not have launched at $200. At least those that pre-ordered got some free content out of it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The Vive does a few things better:
- Overall positional tracking quality and fewer barriers to setting up larger roomscale environment
- Lighthouses not tethered to the PC using up USB resources and causing more cable clutter
- Slightly more FoV
- Usually more accommodating to people with glasses

Everything else is debatable or objectively better with the Rift. So I don't see an issue with the matching price. Though I do think that the Touch controllers by themselves should not have launched at $200. At least those that pre-ordered got some free content out of it.

Roomscale makes the price point worthwhile in Vive's favor. The Touch controllers I can understand people liking more, even though I prefer the Vive wands myself. Everything else, I agree, is pretty even.

Roomscale makes VR for me. Not being able to turn around and explore the playspace made me barely use my Rift. Outside of Luckey's Tale and Thumper, I did not really play with the Rift.

Roomscale makes the price point worthwhile in Vive's favor. The Touch controllers I can understand people liking more, even though I prefer the Vive wands myself. Everything else, I agree, is pretty even.

Roomscale makes VR for me. Not being able to turn around and explore the playspace made me barely use my Rift. Outside of Luckey's Tale and Thumper, I did not really play with the Rift.

The Rift does roomscale, and it does it very well with an additional sensor.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
robo recall is good fun, I hope they add an option to disable the auto rotation on warp though. It's disorientating when you are playing standing up.

The Rift does roomscale, and it does it very well with an additional sensor.

Yeah, especially after the most recent update, I've had 0 issues with 3 sensors. I do have 2 out of 3 sensors wall mounted though. They should have included wall mounts with the touch.

robo recall is good fun, I hope they add an option to disable the auto rotation on warp though. It's disorientating when you are playing standing up.

Agreed...it was designed around 180 degree sensors though, which is why it's disorienting when you play with roomscale (if that's what you mean). Every game with teleportation needs to be given the option for analog locomotion though, it's so much damn better and it works fine for most people. If you look at some of the most popular VR games on steam like Arizona Sunshine and Onward (and Pavlov most recently), they have standard analog locomotion. Fallout 4 (if it actually releases) better have that shit, otherwise I'm not buying it. Teleportation is such a crutch.

Plasma

Banned
With the new price, what games ship with Oculus Touch currently?
You get Oculus First Contact, Dead and Buried, Quill and Medium added to your account when you register your touch. Once it has been registered Robo Recall will show up as free on the store it won't be automatically added to your account so you have to go into the store and download it.

SomTervo

FYI guys, Organ Quarter is in its last three days on Kickstarter. Still got a wee way to go until Wednesday night. The thread about the Kickstarter is here.

There's a link to the free demo near the top of the Kickstarter campaign page. However, you guys being Rift users, I have no idea how to get it working on Rift w/ Touch – MiamiWesker above has certainly done it, it's totally possible.

Environments are coming along nicely already:

5y6gC7z.jpg

low-G

A bit of shame in admitting it because I've been pretty steadfast in my opposition to current VR. But hey, I bought an Oculus + Touch kit due to the price drop. I was wrong about a lot of things (and my experiences thus far). Totally super worth it at $600. Works really well 360 degrees in my small standing space with just 2 sensors. Works comfortably with my large glasses during >1 hour sessions.

Almost every single experience is completely immersive. A lot better than I'd thought. The tracking is often so flawless that I feel a perfect connection to my virtual hands. No nausea at all even with artificial locomotion but if I'm sliding around at high speed I do worry about falling over.

The visuals pumped out by my 1070 look truly real in VR very often. Amazed at the PBR in VR. I know developers have been really doing amazing materials work but it shows so much more in VR.

Played a lot of things already, but I'll just make a few notes:

SuperHOT VR is so so much better than regular SuperHOT. Being able to flub item tosses, making an effort to reach weapons without moving around too much. The immersion is much more. Whereas SuperHOT feels like a indie shooter with poor animation and even poorer variety of weapons and gameplay, SuperHOT VR feels incredibly dynamic and varied.

Space Pirate Trainer is amazing. Love holding my shield near and firing around it like a chicken. Similarly the Compound demo allows me to shoot around walls, and it's completely unlike any video game experience I've had.

Also really enjoying the gameplay in The Lab arcade game. That little ship thing is just the sort of innovation I hope to see in VR going forward.

Also a fan of the realism in firearms of Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades. Tilt Brush does bring out a bit of artistry in me and looks as amazing as I'd hoped. Out of Ammo is a lot of fun. Love managing all the combat and stepping in to do important attacks...

Oh yeah, Robo Recall is amazing as well. It nails a lot of aspects that many of these games do, but it does them all at once.

SomTervo

A bit of shame in admitting it because I've been pretty steadfast in my opposition to current VR. But hey, I bought an Oculus + Touch kit due to the price drop. I was wrong about a lot of things (and my experiences thus far). Totally super worth it at $600. Works really well 360 degrees in my small standing space with just 2 sensors.

It's crazy how much you can achieve with so little in VR.

And if you're impressed with your Oculus and Touch... Wait until you try a roomscale Vive ;)

And if you're impressed with your Oculus and Touch... Wait until you try a roomscale Vive ;)

Or just add another sensor to his Rift. Works just as well (with better hardware to boot) and is cheaper since he already owns the Rift.

There's nothing the Vive can currently do that the Rift can't do similarly well or better.

I've tried it, it's really not much better than roomscale Rift anymore, unless the couple extra square feet of tracking space make you go "whoa". To be honest, I'm kind of tired of playing multiplayer games with Vive users. If I mention I'm using a Rift they shit all over it, so petty as well as untrue. I could go into superior Rift ergonomics, but I usually just kick their ass in the game instead :)

SomTervo

Or just add another sensor to his Rift. Works just as well (with better hardware to boot) and is cheaper since he already owns the Rift.

There's nothing the Vive can currently do that the Rift can't do similarly well or better.

I've tried it, it's really not much better than roomscale Rift anymore, unless the couple extra square feet of tracking space make you go "whoa". To be honest, I'm kind of tired of playing multiplayer games with Vive users. If I mention I'm using a Rift they shit all over it, so petty as well as untrue. I could go into superior Rift ergonomics, but I usually just kick their ass in the game instead :)

Fair enough. I haven't tried one but know, and have heard the perspectives of, many people who said it doesn't compare.

We should be getting a dev kit soon and I can compare for myself anyway.

Have to admit the Touch controllers look a tad more comfortable than the Vive ones.

Plasma

Banned
The console war mentality is really frustrating to see, they fail to see that competition is actually a good thing.

SomTervo

FYI the Organ Quarter Kickstarter is in its last few hours

The console war mentality is really frustrating to see, they fail to see that competition is actually a good thing.

Of course competition is good, especially covering different price brackets and benefits/weaknesses of each other.

I just legit heard from lots of sources I trust that the Vive was a better all round package (and part of that was the great roomscale effect). Happy to be wrong and I'm also glad the Oculus exists. I look forward to getting a dev kit and trying it out.

vermadas

Definitely. I don't even subscribe to /r/Vive anymore because there were as many discussions there trashing Oculus as there was actual VR news. There are lots of reasons to dislike Oculus and Facebook, but the PC Master Race community along with the Valve worship that's so prevalent in that fanbase really brings out the worst.

So news...

Airmech Command now supports Touch and has been released on Steam with Vive support as well.

A week ago Harmonix put up a blog post with 21 songs in the Rock Band VR setlist along with some more info about how the game plays.
Today they put up20 more songs, along with some campaign information.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Was there info on instrument support for RB VR? I'm sure lots of people would want to reuse what they have on PS3/X360/PS4/etc.

Was there info on instrument support for RB VR? I'm sure lots of people would want to reuse what they have on PS3/X360/PS4/etc.

I think any legacy controller that can connect to PC works. Pretty sure they've specifically mentioned the wired Xbox controller.

Found a source:

For those who already own their own guitars, Harmonix has confirmed to Road to VR that Rock Band VR will support all Rock Band 4 guitars. For the PS4 version, you'll need bluetooth to be able to connect while the Xbox One version will connect to the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows (the same dongle that comes in the box with the Oculus Rift and connects the included gamepad). The Harmonix blog post also somewhat confusingly says the game is also compatible with ”most other Rock Band controllers;" we've reached out to the developers for clarification.
http://www.roadtovr.com/rock-band-vr-pre-order-guitar-bundle-price-release-date-oculus-rift/

Branson

How do you guys feel about a pick up right now of the touch and Rift? I have $150 in Amazon gift cards and am really wanting the Rift. It would come out to about 494 after tax. I would be playing a lot of cockpit games like racing sims and Elite and of course ill get a few other games as well.

How do you guys feel about a pick up right now of the touch and Rift? I have $150 in Amazon gift cards and am really wanting the Rift. It would come out to about 494 after tax. I would be playing a lot of cockpit games like racing sims and Elite and of course ill get a few other games as well.

If you know what you're getting into its a no-brainer for Elite. But I strongly suggest you find a way to play it (or just a Rift/Touch in general) before putting money down. Also realize you'll want a decent rig to run Elite in VR.

I'm the wrong one to ask though, I got 3 cameras mounted in my TV room permanently on mounts as well as all extensions and cords hidden and recently just built a quick storage solution.

And have a wheel and a HOTAS. I'm 110% in with the Rift/Touch and think it's worth every penny ... but it definitely is not for everybody. Just know what you're getting into is all. Its (VR) is the real deal, but also know it's fairly in its infancy. The tech will be growing fast. As for Rift itself, probably another 1.5-2 years before another iteration according to some QA with Oculus.

Branson

If you know what you're getting into its a no-brainer for Elite. But I strongly suggest you find a way to play it (or just a Rift/Touch in general) before putting money down. Also realize you'll want a decent rig to run Elite in VR.

I'm the wrong one to ask though, I got 3 cameras mounted in my TV room permanently on mounts as well as all extensions and cords hidden and recently just built a quick storage solution.

And have a wheel and a HOTAS. I'm 110% in with the Rift/Touch and think it's worth every penny ... but it definitely is not for everybody. Just know what you're getting into is all. It's (VR) is the real deal, but also know it's fairly in its infancy. The tech will be growing fast. As for Rift itself, probably another 1.5-2 years before another iteration according to some QA with Oculus.

I have a wheel/playseat and a flight stick so I'm pretty covered with that. I tried it at Best Buy and completely fell in love with VR the moment I put on the headset and got into the world. I've been thinking about it ever since lol. I'm just wondering what people were thinking in regards to getting one right now with the current tech and if some refresh is coming soon and I should wait. The gift cards help in making it cheaper RIGHT NOW though lol.

I have a wheel/playseat and a flight stick so I'm pretty covered with that. I tried it at Best Buy and completely fell in love with VR the moment I put on the headset and got into the world. I've been thinking about it ever since lol. I'm just wondering what people were thinking in regards to getting one right now with the current tech and if some refresh is coming soon and I should wait. The gift cards help in making it cheaper RIGHT NOW though lol.

You're in the wrong thread if you want a balanced answer to your question, lol. Most everyone who still checks this thread has a Rift and likes it or is interested in getting one. I would go for it, I think it's well worth 600 bucks with Touch, and if you get it for 494 or whatever, even better. Definitely get an extra sensor though.

Sure, better stuff is going to start appearing pretty soon, but I don't think the real "gen 2" will come until around 2 years from now. Between now and then companies will come out with stuff like increases in resolution and wireless (which would be my only reason to possibly hold off if you can wait), but the core tech will be very similar. My strategy is to wait until the next big leap happens, which I think is foveated rendering matched with very high resolution (4k per eye or so), wireless, more comfortable and lighter headsets, etc. I think 2-3 years is a reasonable time to expect just about all of that.

Top Bottom