• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell: Source 2 is 'foundation of some unannounced products'

I thought this was interesting, HL3 or not. In response to a question on plans for Source 2, Gabe had this to say:

We are continuing to use Source 2 as our primary game development environment. Aside from moving Dota 2 to the engine recently, we are are using it as the foundation of some unannounced products. We would like to have everyone working on games here at Valve to eventually be using the same engine. We also intend to continue to make the Source 2 engine work available to the broad developer community as we go, and to make it available free of charge.

No doubt it's being used for their VR products as well, but I wonder if that's all there is to it. Regardless, I'm glad to hear they're busy working on other stuff, whatever it is.
E3 this year?

OldMan

Banned
But yeah all the thirst for HL3 when the tech gap from that hl2 generation to now hasn't been THAT big. Wait another two decades.

bounchfx

I feel like this doesn't say anything we don't already know?

of course they're using their new engine for all their new projects. it would be odd if he stated otherwise.

but until we get source 3......

Ricochet VR

This could actually work really well. Considering the platforms have arrows that point to the jumps.

Ricochet.jpg

KarmaCow

I don't know why I expected more but he said basically nothing. No indication of what games they're developing or even the vaguest of time frames.

They developed Source 2 for more than spending time and effort porting Dota 2 to a new engine for kicks. Oh boy.

Eusis

Finally! Half Life 4!

Episodes 1 through 3 really are Half Life 3 and Ep 3 will never be released, so HL3 will remain forever an unfinished game.

SgtCobra

The Half Life franchise is dead, don't know why you guys are still waiting :/

Bless us with another arena hero FPS Valve overlords, you can never have enough of those!!!!1

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No shit, what else are they gonna use? UE4/Unity? haha
Here's hoping all those unannounced products are VR games. Cause we all know HL3 sure as shit ain't happening.

DocSeuss

Sure they're working on unannounced projects.

But remember, Hocking returned to Ubisoft because they actually ship things.

Sure they're working on unannounced projects.

But remember, Hocking returned to Ubisoft because they actually ship things.

This right here.

I'll take a game with simply good game design that goes gold over experiments with "new technologies" albatrossing them that will never release.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This right here.

I'll take a game with simply good game design that goes gold over experiments with "new technologies" albatrossing them that will never release.
No worries then since Ubi will be there for you guys with your yearly fix. ;)

gfxtwin

What if it's HL3 and Portal 3. Then they release it as the sequel to orange box. If they have a new Orange box with HL2, Episodes 1-2, HL3, Portal, Portal2, Portal 3,TF2 and Black Mesa (call it the Valve Legacy collection or something), it will almost be worth the wait.

Fuchsdh

This right here.

At this point I think that whatever grand projects Valve has, they've been paralyzed by 3D Realms-style "no constraints, never ship" syndrome. And Valve makes enough money *not* making games that they'll never be any real pressure to ship.

Top Bottom