• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It begins.

https://twitter.com/BadMiiversePost/status/373113972859228160

tumblr_ms9eybBvS91swll5zo1_500.jpg

3D doesn't even hurt children's eyes. This is a misconception really. children after the age of 3-4 can use 3D just fine. It would be hypocritical to say that 3D is bad for children at the same time go to a 3D movie or 3D show at Disney world or something.

Well the "glassless 3D" in the 3DS works somewhat differently compared to 3D in cinemas, so there's that. But ultimately whether or not 3D is harmful doesn't matter. Perception matters.

The fact that Nintendo itself has done absolutely nothing to dispel this "misunderstanding" speaks volumes about how confident they really feel about the safety of the feature for young children.

FyreWulff

Reactions so far:

Bro #2: "What in the hell"

Bro #3: "So Nintendo is releasing a version of the 3DS that converts the games to 2D?"

Bro #4: "What in the fuck"

Friend 1: "It looks so fucking weird, I already have a 3DS though"

Friend 2: "I'll wait for it to drop to 100$. Didn't care about 3D."

Friend 3: "Getting it for my kid, they won't be able to destroy it."

Mom: "That's what Nintendo needs to go back to. I remember buying you guys those Game Boy Colors, and it's still upstairs and it works. Those DSes I bought ended up broken because of the hinge. I liked their stuff more when it didn't break."

drspeedy

lol why would anyone want to use a 3DS as a controller? And why would anyone use a Vita instead of a DS4 for the PS4 outside of remote-play? The actual controller are far more superior.

So you'd rather buy a second gamepad for your Wii U for that promised multi-gamepad functionality, or use a handheld you already have and enjoy the same/similar functionality?

Second:

I've got a Vita.

You have a PS4 and a controller or two.

Let's play 4-man multiplayer when I come visit. Done!

I think it's safe to say that there's no one still excited by the gamepad. It just isn't what anyone thought it would be... make the best of all that development and sunk cost, integrate some cross-device functionality and let people take advantage of owning one or both systems. Might actually sell more consoles in the process...

Also: unify accounts so I can play my VC games on all my Ninty devices.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Mom: "That's what Nintendo needs to go back to. I remember buying you guys those Game Boy Colors, and it's still upstairs and it works. Those DSes I bought ended up broken because of the hinge. I liked their stuff more when it didn't break."

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT...
Your Mom knows what a DS is? Mine just calls everything "Nintendo" regardless if it is a PS Vita, 3DS, or even my brother's PS3....

m0t0k1

pre orders started? now to decide between an american 2ds or a japanese 2ds.....

edit: if they gonna announce a jap 2ds

FyreWulff

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT...
Your Mom knows what a DS is? Mine just calls everything "Nintendo" regardless if it is a PS Vita, 3DS, or even my brother's PS3....

Yep.

The only console that confused her so far is the one christmas where she bought a bunch of original Xbox games because she knew we all had an Xbox. But didn't quite catch the 360 part. So the brother that wanted CoD3 ended up with CoD3 OXbox.

She used to play Duck Hunt and later Goldeneye with us. Our parents stopped playing games around the PS2/GC/Xbox era because the controllers got too complicated for them. She played the hell out of Pokemon Blue on one of our GBCs.

El_Six

Neo Member
Didn't like the design but I can see it selling well, I would of preferred to see another price cut on the 3DS. Think that would of surprised a lot of people.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yep.

The only console that confused her so far is the one christmas where she bought a bunch of original Xbox games because she knew we all had an Xbox. But didn't quite catch the 360 part. So the brother that wanted CoD3 ended up with CoD3 OXbox.

Well thats unfortunate. I guess it's good that my mom never liked us playing games anyway so she gave us money mostly to buy such things ourselves.
If she had gone to a store to buy lets say Assassins Creed 3, there would have been a 3:1 chance that she came back with a WiiU or a 360 Version instead of a PS3 one.

DigitalOp

Banned
Yeah, I think Im going to pick one up...

I'll get a 3DS XL first of course but this looks like the best choice for a 3DS/DS back up unit.

I really wanna see some hands on impressions and figure out whats going on with that build quality and comfort.

Tygamr

Dunno why, but I'm tempted to pick one of these up as a secondary system. I thought the design was ugly at first, but the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the GameBoy line (dat nostalgia). What's wrong with me?

I'm beginning to think about buying one to act as a 2nd 3ds for Pokemon trading (and StreetPassing myself). The controls look (to me at least) more comfortable than my OG 3DS- it may also become the handheld if choice to play in bed.
It may turn out to be a masterstroke by Nintendo- a cheap handheld for kids and grown-ass pokemon addicts.

Dunno why, but I'm tempted to pick one of these up as a secondary system. I thought the design was ugly at first, but the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the GameBoy line (dat nostalgia). What's wrong with me?

That's common.

Reflex appalled reaction.

Simmer down.

See professional shots of it.

See people playing it.

Read impressions.

Hey, that's pretty cool after all or not so bad.

Not everyone will be this way but it happens.

Definitely has that toylike GB aesthetic to it.

DaBoss

So you'd rather buy a second gamepad for your Wii U for that promised multi-gamepad functionality, or use a handheld you already have and enjoy the same/similar functionality?

Second:

I've got a Vita.

You have a PS4 and a controller or two.

Let's play 4-man multiplayer when I come visit. Done!

I think it's safe to say that there's no one still excited by the gamepad. It just isn't what anyone thought it would be... make the best of all that development and sunk cost, integrate some cross-device functionality and let people take advantage of owning one or both systems. Might actually sell more consoles in the process...

Also: unify accounts so I can play my VC games on all my Ninty devices.

Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I don't know the price of the gamepad. I don't know what games will use them for and if it will be actually worth it.

I wouldn't use a handheld that doesn't have enough buttons when playing a game for a console. Regardless of local multiplayer or single-player. Only reason I would use a Vita for a PS4 would be for remote-play, otherwise, the DS4 would be better in every way.

Go home, Nintendo. You were drunk an hour ago, but now you're just wasted.

In all seriousness, though, people will either find it hideous, unwieldy and weird or recognise it for the cheap Pokémon machine that it is, meaning it will either fall flat on its face at terminal velocity or sell with the force of a thousand suns.

Looking at the design concept... well, I guess the designers of the Virtual Boy managed to land another job after all.

This shouldn't have BC. Imagine playing Another Code/Trace Memory on this :lol
Shit, you can't even finish Zelda Phantom Hourglass on this thing.

Top Bottom