• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Keepers | Netflix True-Crime Documentary Series - May 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
The letter... the fucking letter... the stuff dug up from the cemetery.

Jesus Christ whoever did this deserves to die and rot in hell. Fucking pieces of shit.

IronRinn

Finally started this. Just finished the second episode and holy shit. Fucking awful and infuriating.

As an aside, I agree about the opening credits. Very well done.

Just finished it and thought it was really fantastic. I watch a lot of documentaries and follow a lot of true crime stories, but parts of this were very hard to stomach because the details of the abuse and mishandling of the entire case is so upsetting. I was really moved by the strength and intelligence of these women and their fight for justice. Jean in particular seems like a really amazing person, I was totally blown away by her courage and her ability to speak so eloquently about the horrific abuse she suffered. The entire situation is infuriating, but these women are all bad asses. I hope the documentary helps bring them closer to the answers they deserve.

obin_gam

I thought the last episode was kinda anticlimactic, but I guess the whole media attention now will create a huge push for that statute of limitations bill.

Are we all in agreeance that that old troll
Edgar killed her
right?

I thought the last episode was kinda anticlimactic, but I guess the whole media attention now will create a huge push for that statute of limitations bill.

Are we all in agreeance that that old troll
Edgar killed her
right?

He definitely seemed to have an emotional reaction to her picture.

Just finished it today. It really feels like this isn't getting enough attention...

Also one of the shows where season 2 clearly needs to happen.

Jake.

man i hope this goes viral and blows up bigger than how to make a murderer, because this is truly a much better (and even more heartbreaking) series.

how anyone can choose to associate themselves with the catholic church or any other major religious body in 2017 blows my mind. so much pure and utter evil. i guess i'll stop here to prevent a ban.

two things i didn't quite follow in the series:

1edgar's ex-wife said she saw a dude dressed as a nun at the lights in another car who stared at her. she was (obviously) terrified and sped off home. what the fuck was this about?

i still wonder how the two murders are connected, especially since one was bound and had their throat slit while the other was killed with a blunt object.

i would not be surprised if
russell
and
the old cop who denied maggots being present
hid evidence or contributed to worse. sketchy as fuck.
edgar
was at least involved in dumping the body at a minimum based on the information presented.

Duxxy3

He definitely seemed to have an emotional reaction to her picture.

I think it was guilt from his phone call. His reaction to the stone's color seemed genuine. He remembered the birth stone of his first wife. I think he's a trouble old man.

sinkfla87

Finally got around to finishing the series tonight. Was disappointed in the final episode but more so in the reality of the situation, the complete
lack of finality and conclusion killed me. I'm still angry and feel terrible for the victims.

What does everyone think in regards to
Gerry claiming that they threw a vagina on the table in the interrogation room?

There is just so much stuff that is completely bonkers that I don't know what or who to believe.

man i hope this goes viral and blows up bigger than how to make a murderer, because this is truly a much better (and even more heartbreaking) series.

how anyone can choose to associate themselves with the catholic church or any other major religious body in 2017 blows my mind. so much pure and utter evil. i guess i'll stop here to prevent a ban.

*Making a Murderer

Also, the statement in your 2nd paragraph is pretty ridiculous. Yes, because of corruption in the Catholic church how in 2017 can anyone associate with any major religious body? What a stupid comment.

KnowOne

Neo Member
What does everyone think in regards to
Gerry claiming that they threw a vagina on the table in the interrogation room?

I'm thinking it was probably
some random piece of meat or even just some random object wrapped in paper. I think it was just meant to get a reaction out of him and get him to confess.

Artdayne

I've watched the first 3 episodes and this show is rips at you wishing you weren't a part of this world. This is definitely more tragic to me than Making of Murderer particularly as a former Catholic. It's just sad to see such wide scale corruption in one city, I can't imagine how helpless these women felt.

Dalek

Watched most of the first episode earlier-the scene where this elderly man describes when he had to identify the body of his sister. Jesus Christ-just brutal.

Ten minutes into episode 2 and I want to simultaneously punch someone and vomit everywhere.

Just had the same reaction. What a fucked up world we live in.

CREMSteve

Just finished this, it's extremely well done. I was every bit as enthralled as with Making a Murderer, perhaps even moreso. So good. Netflix truly is the best.

superfly

Watched it all. Heart wrenching subject but I thought it only a soso documentary. Power to those women though. All incredibly strong.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just watched this all as well.
How depressing.

And how infuriating that the Catholic Church continues to protect their pedophile priests in 2017.

jackal27

Banned
Watched this with my wife and man is the corruption in the Catholic Church astounding. And I say that as someone who has worked in large churches. I've seen corruption and I've people make selfish choices out of fear, but this is something else. This is evil. This is wretched and it turns my stomach.

Sister Cathy was the same age as my wife.

Finished this a few days ago. So depressing, and infuriating, and disgusting. Not enough adjectives to describe how terrible the events covered are/were.

I was very surprised to see such a small thread here on GAF. A documentary as fantastic as this one deserves much more coverage, especially with so many things still unresolved.

cLOUDo

Just finished, wow that was something else
Surprised that the thread is only 2 pages.

The build was good, but I feels they didn't accomplish nothing, they just throw information without connecting it at all.

If all was a conspiracy, what's the role of the second victim, how is maskell connected with the 2 suspects.
If what the family of the 2 suspects saying is true, that doesn't make sense,one of them had to be false.
If not that means that was 4 person (included a kid) in the car that had the body
And the kid didn't say nothing about a 3rd person

My brother told me to check this out and good grief was this troubling. Riveting stuff and I have a massive amount of respect and admiration for those who continue to look into this. I finished it in a few days. Couldn't put it down. Like others have mentioned I'm surprised this didn't get more traction here.

mcfrank

I did not think that this series pulled together as well as the filmmakers thought it did. Way too many loose ends to be satisfying for me.

hawk2025

I did not think that this series pulled together as well as the filmmakers thought it did. Way too many loose ends to be satisfying for me.

The filmmakers have NO illusions that this story doesn't have lots of loose ends. I have no idea where you're getting this from.

burnfout

Finished this yesterday. Been thinking about this a lot today.

It is ironic that the Catholic Church is the closest representation of pure hellish evil we have on earth.

Between this and what's going on in politics, it's just depressing. Makes me feel like organized religion does way more harm than good, and that women should be in charge of everything.

BluWacky

Why aren't people watching and talking about this show? Other true crime shows and documentaries have generated much more interest in comparison. Is the true crime wave over?

I watched - and loved - The Keepers, but it gives no answers and doesn't really allow for anything to be done. So many of the people involved - as far as we have any idea who WAS involved, other than the victims of abuse - are gone. Making A Murderer, Serial and the like have the hook of "freeing an innocent man"; all The Keepers has is shadows and possibilities.

Like I say - it was a fascinating documentary. However, there's little for a mass audience who aren't involved to do.

I also think the subject matter is really dark too. I love true crime and parts of this really shocked me. Coupled with the fact it's very damning towards the Catholic church, it's not something easily embraced by a wide aduience. I'd love for it to be a huge hit, but it's a tough sell. The important thing is it's out there and exists as a document of what these women endured.

Oh god, it took me awhile to finish episode 2. The abuse stories, they were too horrific to stomach in one sitting.

The priest Maskell was beyond vile. Guy was a literal demon.

The rampant mistreatment of sexual abuse victims pisses me off to no end.
And people wonder why abuse victims are scared to come forward.
The Catholic Church that used to protect pedophilic priests and hid abuse never ceases to disgust me.

KodaRuss

Wife and I finally got a chance to start this and wow. This story is just so damn sad and depressing.

As someone who grew up Catholic (Every Sunday, no longer practicing) it disturbs me to no end.

We only watched Spotlight about a month ago for the first time as well, the lengths these people have gone to to commit this evil is just mind boggling.

Had seen the first episode a few months back. Watched the second now and I had a hard time getting through it. Its just too much. Fucking despicable people.

The remaining episodes are they also focused on the neverending abuse or do they get "easier" to get through?

Toa TAK

Banned
Had seen the first episode a few months back. Watched the second now and I had a hard time getting through it. Its just too much. Fucking despicable people.

The remaining episodes are they also focused on the neverending abuse or do they get "easier" to get through?
It basically becomes the main thread in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom