• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cristiano Ronaldo pushes ref, banned for five games even though ref doesn't dive

Peroroncino

What is the context behind this? Did that player really gut-punch an unaware ref?!

From what I gather, he scored and wanted to do a fist pump, unfortunately he didn't know someone was behind him.

And no, this wasn't an attack, especially a disgraceful one lol, he clearly got pissed because it wasn't a dive and he was removed.

giphy.gif

There is a difference between a dive and a foul that is then hammed up to bring the attention of the referee. It's a problem in football. There are many occasions where a player is fouled and loses momentum and/or control of the ball, leading to an unfairly gained advantage to the other team, but retains his balance and does not 'need' to 'go down'. However, if he does not 'go down' the ref won't give the foul because it is less obvious.

You see this most often in the box. Sometimes a tackle will come in, which would be a foul, but the player chooses to ride it and continue with his attack on goal. However, his attack will often be reduced in effectiveness by the intrusion and will most likely fail. If the player instead 'takes the contact' and 'goes down' he will be usually be rewarded a penalty, from which it is much easier to score. This is why you sometimes hear commentators criticising a player for being "too honest" or saying of a player who 'went down' seemingly unnecessarily, that he was 'entitled' to do so.

TLDR - theatrics from a supposedly fouled player do not necessarily indicate that the foul did not take place.
This is also true, and there are plenty of examples where players - if they would have decided to go down - would have gotten a penalty, but just get nothing instead. It's understandable then that some contacts look more theatrical.

Embellishment is identical to diving
I mean, it genuinely isn't. Embellishment is drawing a referees attention to a foul, diving is faking a foul. They're very different.

Football doesn't work like an illegal tackle is only illegal if it sends you flying. Or a shirt tug is only a shirt tug if you get pulled to the ground.

This is one instance where Euro-stars could learn something from an American.

GzZETUm.gif

See Clint Dempsey. Get a yellow card, just rip-up the refs notebook and destroy the evidence. The subsequent red card won't matter if the ref can't write it down.

GzZETUm.gif

See Clint Dempsey. Get a yellow card, just rip-up the refs notebook and destroy the evidence. The subsequent red card won't matter if the ref can't write it down.

That's excellent. Yellow card? I didn't see it. Prove it.

I'm not a huge fan
Unless he comes back to United ^_^
but that wasn't a dive. That being said, he can't and shouldn't be touching the ref, let alone giving him a shove.

He got off light...

RocknRola

GzZETUm.gif

If only there wasn't a 4th referee taking all the same notes as the main ref.... :p

Rogan

Banned
I
Ronnie_Hattrick.png
think this
ron_bayern_cl.png
thread is gonna be
ronaldo2.png
good

The red card was
injustica.png
a terrible call, however, the
rightlkosy.png
push should not have happened.

What was he thinking?
23266483582_a2fb0644f2_o.png
Now, 5 games without the GOAT
23374838605_8616cdd974_o.png

Good thing we have other players
23266483482_802b74f11f_o.png
, and aren't too reliant on Ronaldo.

Close the thread.

Risible

People are making fun of the seemingly innocuous nature of the push, but it's not about the amount of force. You touch an official in any way, you get a ban, it's not rocket science.

Tubie

People are making fun of the seemingly innocuous nature of the push, but it's not about the amount of force. You touch an official in any way, you get a ban, it's not rocket science.

The making fun part comes from the original thread title (before a mod changed it) and the overall tone from the OP.

And also the OP's username is Messi lol.

Messi

The making fun part comes from the original thread title (before a mod changed it) and the overall tone from the OP.

And also the OP's username is Messi lol.

Please understand I was just delivering the news. I love the Madristas on this board.

ZenTzen

That was the push that warranted a 4 game suspension, lol thats so stupid, even the foul didnt warrant a yellow card, at most the game should have just continued, such a shitty ref

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
"attack", lol. When I read about this I thought he threw him to the ground, that wouldn't have even knocked over a toddler.

Clegg

I'm surprised at how lenient the ban is. Di Canio was banned for 11 games for doing the same thing. Ronaldo was treated very softly by La Liga.

One of my pet peeves is the length of bans and how lenient some are. Suarez is someone who should've been banned for life. Probably not realistic, but if anyone deserved it it's him. The separate biting incidents were bad enough, but the racism should have seen him thrown out of the game. I did get the lovely sight of him bawling his eyes out after Liverpool threw away the title though. He deserved all the misery he got.

I
Ronnie_Hattrick.png
think this
ron_bayern_cl.png
thread is gonna be
ronaldo2.png
good

The red card was
injustica.png
a terrible call, however, the
rightlkosy.png
push should not have happened.

What was he thinking?
23266483582_a2fb0644f2_o.png
Now, 5 games without the GOAT
23374838605_8616cdd974_o.png

Good thing we have other players
23266483482_802b74f11f_o.png
, and aren't too reliant on Ronaldo.

footy gaf always has the best icons lmao
oh my God

You just can't touch referees, and CR7 (just like Neymar) doesn't get the benefit of the doubt these days when it comes to him losing his balance on his own vs a dive. He shouldn't have taken his shirt off anyways, it's the first fucking leg.

Wonder what the narrative will be if Barca make a comeback at the Bernabeu.

they gotta stop buying bums this summer for that to happen

jimmyd

You wouldn't get this in rugby, even down to grass roots. Football players (a lot, not all) need to learn some fucking respect.

This behaviour in top flight is the reason why Sunday league refs fear for their safety.

Seen rugby refs knocked out cold. Seen rugby players attacking fans on the sideline. In professional rugby sure there is more respect shown to the referee, but some players are still dirty dogs, eye gouging, testicle squeezing, that sort of thing. Which refs don't see...

Top Bottom