• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension Has A Secret Code, But What Does It Mean?

mclem

Letter distribution investigation:

English:
QQ UUU EEE JJJ KK II P H M

French:
QQQQ JJJJJJ FFFFF RRRR TTTT HH UU E C N

Portuguese:
MMMM LLL HHHHHH DDD KK I N O R

Spanish:
QQ JJJJJ FFF OO L T R P I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequency#Relative_frequencies_of_letters_in_other_languages would seem worth a look. I'm very curious about all those H's on the portuguese side. I'm also struck about the fact that I always (probably somewhat ignorantly) thought that Portuguese was kinda close to spanish, but the letter distribution here is *wildly* different.

Boss Man

Remember: if QUJ, QJF, QJFTRF and MHD are repeating, they are either space or some common word. It's a cryptic message so it must be a common decoding word. It's not a literal acronym.

So: Which 6 letter french word is the same as 3 letter spanish word, since both have QJF?

Also, that EEE is throwing me off as I don't think there ever is a word with three letters back to back. I don't know lol.
I think this is something to work off of.

Jigolo

whats-wrong-with-you-Reggie-Fils-Aime-my-body-is-ready-other-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1290.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love GOW and I'm getting my copy of GOW:A today. But I think SSM is too talented to just keep shelling out GOW games. I would love to see something new from them.

Give Kratos a break.

Sorry for being off topic but can't make shit out of these letters. Go get em' GAF detectives.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
have they tried using the eyes of truth on it? i havent beaten the game yet so i havent had a chance to play through that section with that item.

Jacob4815

That profecy is definitely GOW-related.

If they are already working on a fucking amazing GOW4 for PS4, that would explain the lack of ambition in Ascension!

Shtof

I get a headache from even thinking about this, but I want it solved ASAP. How does one even start to decipher something like this?

I really hope this doesn't mean another God of War game, I don't mind the series in fact I love it, but I think it needs a much needed rest that could bring news ideas to the series to make it feel fresh and new again.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
... Fuck lol. Is that in this game as part of SP?

yeah, its an item you get in the game. it reveals hidden truths in gameplay. im about 8 hrs in the game and recently just got it.

but im stuck at one section of the game so who knows when ill beat it. i keep dying to these medusa's. lol

yeah, its an item you get in the game. it reveals hidden truths in gameplay. im about 8 hrs in the game and recently just got it.

but im stuck at one section of the game so who knows when ill beat it. i keep dying to these medusa's. lol

Most definitely that's what you need. We're counting on you! Since "Aletheia is the Greek personification of truth", that would be VERY logical!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Most definitely that's what you need. We're counting on you! Since "Aletheia is the Greek personification of truth", that would be VERY logical!

I'm sure someone else has the game here lol.

Ive been playing about 2 hours at a time since Saturday. Would like to play more, but work calls. :/

nofi

Far as I know you don't keep it on a New Game+ though. Unless I'm mistaken this bit is before you get the
Eyes

Far as I know you don't keep it on a New Game+ though. Unless I'm mistaken this bit is before you get the
Eyes

Items should carry over, which is the reason New Game + exist. I'm not sure how it works in this game though.

Is there a way to backtrack? I thought God of War was famous for backtracking.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Eyes

Yeah, it is before you get them. As for keeping the item after a new game, idk. But there are times when the game will tell you, to 'use this item' or to do something after your first play through.

I'll try beating the game tonight when i get off work. I'm not even sure how many hours this game is. I feel like I'm pretty close to the end.
I just lit the lantern, but I haven't fought the water monster from the trailer yet. And the furies are still alive...

nofi

Items should carry over, which is the reason New Game + exist. I'm not sure how it works in this game though.

Is there a way to backtrack? I thought God of War was famous for backtracking.

I think when I tested New Game+ I didn't have the magical abilities.

But there are times when the game will tell you, to 'use this item' or to do something after your first play through.

This is true. I didn't find everything on my first run.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
How many hours is the game? I haven't read a single review, and I don't care to.

I'm about 8+ hours in.

btkadams

i love stuff like this! i won't figure it out but i'm excited to see what others come up with. i hope it's actually something cool.

ekim

For french :

QJFTRF JRQTEUCJTUNFRJHQJH QJFTRF
SOLEIL OISEAU_OEU_LIO_SO_ SOLEIL

OISEAU made the most sense - it means bird in french

So
Q-->S
J-->O
F-->L
T-->E
R-->I
E-->A
U-->U

LuuKyK

MHDILMMLKHNHOKHDRLHMHD

well, the MM segment of the portuguese one kinda tells us that M = R or S since in portuguese 98% of the time they are the one that repeats in a word. So its a starting point I guess.

Kifimbo

For french :

So
Q-->S
J-->O
F-->L
T-->E
R-->I
E-->A
U-->U

SOLEIL OISEAUX OEUF LION SON SOLEIL ?

SUN BIRDS EGG LION HIS SUN

Does it works in English ? Doesn't look like it does.

Ricky_R

Bird? phoenix? that phoenix symbol was there at the end of GoW 3.

Many people seem to forget about this. SSM probably added it just to fuck with our minds and to leave the future open for anything, but come on. It's time for them to address GOW3's mysterious ending.

For french :

So
Q-->S
J-->O
F-->L
T-->E
R-->I
E-->A
U-->U

Bird? Wasn't there a phoenix at the end of gow3? Or am I just imagining things. It's a reference to the ending of gow3, bird= phoenix=rebirth=reboot=reboot of God of war.

lordy88

It could be:

QUJ IKPH IUEE EKMJ QUJ
Sun Bird Bull Lion Sun

Q = S
U = U
J = N
I = B
K = P
P = R
H = D
E = L
M = O

Not sure what that fully means, though. Sunbird could = pheonix, i.e. ribrth as everyone is mentioning. 'Bull Lion' sounds like a minotaur spinoff, and the last sun makes no sense.

FDC1

English:
QQ UUU EEE JJJ KK II P H M

French:
QQQQ JJJJJJ FFFFF RRRR TTTT HH UU E C N

Portuguese:
MMMM LLL HHHHHH DDD KK I N O R

Spanish:
QQ JJJJJ FFF OO L T R P I

If it's 1 letter = 1 letter then it's definitively not the same key. JJJJJJ would be probably the E in French as it's by far the most used letter in French but that means there wouldn't be any "e" in the english ans portuguese answers, which is very unlikely

Mikey Jr.

I'm not going to attempt this because I am stupid as fuck, but if there is one place I know that will crack this, it is Gaf.

Boss Man

SOLEIL OISEAUX OEUF LION SON SOLEIL ?

SUN BIRDS EGG LION HIS SUN

Does it works in English ? Doesn't look like it does.
Yeah I got the same thing in French, figured it would be easiest since the key is bigger.

I wonder if the word order between SUN - SUN may be jumbled across the languages. Since they aren't exactly in a meaningful order in French.

FDC1

For french :

So
Q-->S
J-->O
F-->L
T-->E
R-->I
E-->A