• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces online fees for Monster Hunter G Wii

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
GDGF said:
Is DC Universe Online supposed to be free?

SCE and SOE didn't confirmed anything about DC universe , yet , but they indeed confirmed that there will be no monthly fee for 'the Agency' and 'Free realms' on both PS3 and PC ( maybe because SOE is now under SCEWWS ? ) , I don't think DC universe will be any different , but anything can happen .

markatisu

At least you can use Wii Points

Capcom has always charged for online play with their console MH, we knew this going in so the only news in this thread is the actual cost

SaitoH

Maybe Capcom will wave the fee for NA like they did with the original Monster Hunter ... *coughs*

Not surprising, but I'm not a fan of paying a fee for a game without persistant worlds. I figure if a games like Guild Wars are free, then games like PSU and MH should be too. Having said that, If I end up buying a Wii to play Tri -like I most likely will- a monthly fee wouldn't really be a factor.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
markatisu said:
At least you can use Wii Points

Capcom has always charged for online play with their console MH, we knew this going in so the only news in this thread is the actual cost
Huh? Not the PS2 version I played. It was completely free as far as I knew.

big_z

can someone explain why we would have to pay to play this shit online? i dont really know much about monster hunter but isnt it just 4 people connecting to eachother. why the hell would that cost money.

markatisu

big_z said:
can someone explain why we would have to pay to play this shit online? i dont really know much about monster hunter but isnt it just 4 people connecting to eachother. why the hell would that cost money.

Because you would be using Capcoms servers instead of relying on each others connections, its their server use that cost the money

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
markatisu said:
Because you would be using Capcoms servers instead of relying on each others connections, its their server use that cost the money
Bingo. Yet people seem to be forgetting that point.

Direct servers > P2P. I'm sorry Xbox Live advocates but that's how it goes.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
markatisu said:

sorry that lame answer ..
White Knight Chronicles online mode ( MH clone ) uses sony's Dedicated servers and it's free .

StuBurns

Banned
Totobeni said:
White Knight Chronicles online mode ( MH clone ) uses sony's Dedicated servers and it's free .
White Knight Chronicles isn't the biggest selling IP in Japan.

Capcom are going to get the most out of it, why wouldn't they?

This is a port of a four year old update to a five year old game, which a lot of Japanese people already own on PSP. It's pure cash-in.

Vorador

Banned
Totobeni said:

The real answer is Capcom wants to make money out of this. That's all.

Xbox Live uses P2P connections without servers and is a paid service
PSN uses servers and is free.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
stuburns said:
White Knight Chronicles isn't the biggest selling IP in Japan.

Capcom are going to get the most out of it, why wouldn't they?

This is a port of a four year old update to a five year old game, which a lot of Japanese people already own on PSP. It's pure cash-in.

I know ..but markatisu's excuse for the fees was the dedicated servers, but it's not .. it's not just because it's biggest selling IP or not , ..even RE outbreak has fees , it's just Capcom loves money and knew fans will pays ..

Vorador said:
The real answer is Capcom wants to make money out of this. That's all.

Xbox Live uses P2P connections without servers and is a paid service
PSN uses servers and is free.

StuBurns

Banned
Totobeni said:
I know ..but markatisu's excuse for the fees was the dedicated servers, but it's not .. it's not just because it's biggest selling IP or not , ..even RE outbreak has fees , it's just Capcom loves money and knew fans will pays ..
I think that's more a justification, it's true that running dedicated servers is going to cost them money. It costs anyone who does it money, they just usually don't pass that costs over to the user because it's fairly cheap.

Capcom don't need to charge for this, no doubt, but they can, and there is a precedent for it. HM isn't a persistent world, but if it's dedicated servers, the upkeep isn't all that different.

Monster Hunter Portable 3, Adhoc Party = a better experience. Just a matter of time. Shame the US releases are so far behind since were still waiting for Unite, which is unlike Capcom really.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
SecretBonusPoint said:
Monster Hunter Portable 3, Adhoc Party = a better experience. Just a matter of time. Shame the US releases are so far behind since were still waiting for Unite, which is unlike Capcom really.

WTF are u talkin about ?

Totobeni said:
imaginary PSP port of MH3 that support PS3-PSP ad-hock system

Imaginary? I thought It was already confirmed.

Isn't MH esentially a Lobby + 4 co-op play? pretty much like Guild Wars but without as much players (8 vs 4) and awesome PvP?. Just asking.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm not entirely knowledgeable on monthly fees for other online games but doesn't that seem a little expensive? I might not bother with online if it costs that much to play.

markatisu

Totobeni said:

Wow someone likes to be an ass, someone asked for a legit reason and a legit reason is to use their servers.

Of course the real reason is because they want to make money, its the exact same reason MH will never end up on XBLA or PSN because Capcom wants the money for themselves not to share with someone else

It does not change the fact you are still using Capcom servers and so that is their basis for charging you, you dont want to play on their servers do not pay...its that simple

Paying to play Monster Hunter on the PS2 in Japan. "A-ok!"

Paying to play Monster Hunter on the Wii in Japan. "Hell no! LOLOLOL"

Gotta love GAF sometimes.

GrayFoxPL

I remember playing MH on PS2, having a blast online: "Let's kill him with rocks!" and I also had to pay huge fees. Oh wait. I didn't! Fuck you capcom, you thieves.

Edit: Japan only? Fucked myself in the ass.

Doubledex

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
Paying to play Monster Hunter on the PS2 in Japan. "A-ok!"

Paying to play Monster Hunter on the Wii in Japan. "Hell no! LOLOLOL"

Gotta love GAF sometimes.
Same logic: "I payed 1000$ for a new car in 1950. So a new car should cost 1000$ today, too >_< "

Kyoufu

The problem here isn't the fact that I'm going to be paying a fee to play MH online. Lord knows I've done it in the past, but the actual problem is that MHG is an old old game, why should we pay to play such an old game?

I will gladly pay to play MH3 but I don't see the point of paying for MHG. To be honest buying the game alone is a hard sell let alone paying a subscription.

Eric WK

At least you can use Wii Points. I remember not being able to use Xbox Live Points for PSU and being slightly miffed.

Jostifer

Does the game support text chat on the Wii? Honest question, I'm not sure if it's allowed on the service (as far as I know there isn't communication in Smash & Kart?).

What's even worse is that this game's community will be abandoned once Monster Hunter 3 comes out -- making all your efforts useless in a few months.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
AranhaHunter said:
Why wouldn't they?

Because they won't be able to get away with it.

I'm starting to think Capcom is getting ready to shoot themselves in the foot. They've had a lot of money-grubbing things lately that have been unpopular: Mega Man 9 DLC for hard difficulty, the SF4 DLC got bitched about bigtime, their Capcom Debit Card was so bad they got outed on Consumerist (Turns your wallet from E.Honda to Dhalsim!), and now this.

I think Capcom may need to be careful or they may suffer long-term from trying to gain in the short-term.

EDarkness

Mockingbird said:
What's even worse is that this game's community will be abandoned once Monster Hunter 3 comes out -- making all your efforts useless in a few months.

I don't understand this, either. They should have released this game last year. Man, this generation is totally screwed up.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Jostifer said:
Does the game support text chat on the Wii? Honest question, I'm not sure if it's allowed on the service (as far as I know there isn't communication in Smash & Kart?).
There is voice chat in Animal Crossing and supposedly in the Conduit, so text chat is definitely possible. Plus this will be Capcoms own online service and so it doesn't have to follow any of Nintendo's rules as far as I know - ie EA nation.

Meesh

A little off topic, I thought MHG wasn't hitting America, only Tri, can anyone confirm?

If I have to pay for online, the game had better be phenomenal...

Cruzader

Banned
I bet thats a reason why there arent any PS3 MH games. Im not sure if Sony would allow capcom to charge for online play on their free network. PS2 was different in that Online was new and really untapped(without regulations?). On PSP its free but i dont know why capcom loves to charge on the console versions.(PS2 and now Wii)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
AranhaHunter said:
Why wouldn't they?
I'm surprised they are charging so much for monster hunter G, you would think they would make G's online super cheap (100 points a month or so) so as to get people hooked on the online aspect, and to get them used to paying a fee for online. Then when 3 hits you charge a lot more and the people who migrate (hopefully most) are so used to online functionality that they can't resist paying the higher fees.

poppabk said:
I'm surprised they are charging so much for monster hunter G, you would think they would make G's online super cheap (100 points a month or so) so as to get people hooked on the online aspect, and to get them used to paying a fee for online. Then when 3 hits you charge a lot more and the people who migrate (hopefully most) are so used to online functionality that they can't resist paying the higher fees.

perhaps they're using G to test what they can get away with charging before Tri hits

I knew japan would be charging already.

I am praying Capcom makes MH3 free like they did for MH on PS2 here in the states. Online fees would drop MH3 from my most anticipated day-one game in years to not even a rental.

I'm going to hold my tounge on the bitching until it actually happens since it hasn't even been offically annouced for the US.

Top Bottom