• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

That Injustice 2 video had me pulling my hair with its wrongness on comic book lore. The game is actually pretty great though despite me not liking some story choices and some roster choices ( RIP Nightwing). I wish they played or understood more about the game before making the video.
By the end of the video I was wondering if any of them had watched Young Justice, or even Justice league unlimited... I always just kind of assume they had. This some weird Canadian thing?

aly

By the end of the video I was wondering if any of them had watched Young Justice, or even Justice league unlimited... I always just kind of assume they had. This some weird Canadian thing?

They could'nt with Pat dissing Black Manta. Who is an amazing villain.

Strimei

I don't know if he saw JLU, but Pat definitely watched at least some of the Timmverse, as he refers to Darkseid's stony-face from it. Though to be fair to Pat, some of the things he and the others talked about, like Black Manta and Firestorm, were either pretty minor (I don't even really remember Black Manta besides maybe a cameo) or not in there at all (at the least, I don't recall Firestorm).

That said, not knowing who Gorilla Grodd is was odd.

Grodd was pretty lightly used in JLU from what I remember, probably because he's kind of a garbage character in any format where he can't eat someone's face.

I think Ultra Humanite actually got more screentime, hilariously.

Strimei

Grodd was pretty lightly used in JLU from what I remember, probably because he's kind of a garbage character in any format where he can't eat someone's face.

I think Ultra Humanite actually got more screentime, hilariously.

...I actually merged the two, in all honesty.

aly

I legit don't get the Green Lantern hate, especially since John isn't that much better than Hal. Also they could'nt have watched the cartoons cause Aquaman was a badass there as well.

Strimei

Oh sure, I guess all talking gorillas look the same to you, huh?

You probably don't even remember Monsier Mallah, do you?

I vaguely recall him. Beret, right?

I legit don't get the Green Lantern hate, especially since John isn't that much better than Hal. Also they could'nt have watched the cartoons cause Aquaman was a badass there as well.

Isn't it easy to shit on Hal or whichever though? I always remember that one comic panel of Batman ranting in his head about how dumb he is and yet has the ring.

joe2187

Banned
I vaguely recall him. Beret, right?

I will leave this here without any further context

full.jpg

Monsieur-Mallah-Brain-Kiss-Explosion.jpg

This is cannon by the way.

Strimei

Oh god I actually remember seeing that before, on 4chan I think. One of those panels that gets posted without context.

There's another one with either the Hulk or Martian Manhunter (its a big green character) chasing after two heroes and then glass shattering or something that also comes to mind.

I don't know if he saw JLU, but Pat definitely watched at least some of the Timmverse, as he refers to Darkseid's stony-face from it. Though to be fair to Pat, some of the things he and the others talked about, like Black Manta and Firestorm, were either pretty minor (I don't even really remember Black Manta besides maybe a cameo) or not in there at all (at the least, I don't recall Firestorm).

That said, not knowing who Gorilla Grodd is was odd.

Firestorm was damn near(or completely... probably a cameo) non-existent in JLU and I don't think black manta was much better, but in Young Justice Black Manta was a major character during the second season. And Gorrila Grodd ran the League of Evil before Lex took over over.

I get their issue with Green Lantern though. He's got an awesome skill set and in most media outside of the comics it is used fairly poorly. Doesn't bother me as much though, probably because I'm a Jon Stewart fan(honestly shouldn't be hard to guess why).

KRaZyAmmo

Now I'm not watching Yakuzi 0 Lp because I'm far behind them on my own playthrough. I'll still watch their Night in the Woods and LA Noire LPs tho.

Why the hell am I aware of this monkey that carries a brain around? Were they in any episode of a DC show on Cartoon Network at some point? Teen Titans perhaps?

MrHoot

God L.A Noire is so good. Really redeeming the channel for me.

All of it has been really good for me. Yakuza just delivers on itself with how much bullshit is happening. LA Noire makes me laugh so hard and Night in the woods is just really cozy with the Woolie+Matt roleplaying pair

Strimei

Why the hell am I aware of this monkey that carries a brain around? Were they in any episode of a DC show on Cartoon Network at some point? Teen Titans perhaps?

Yup, that's where I remember Mallah from now, the last season of Teen Titans. I remember finally going "y'know, I should stop shitting on this show, its actually surprisingly good."

And then it got canned. Of course.

edit: Kind of weird watching the guys play Y0 and watching Beast in the East doing it too. They're much further ahead, plot-wise, but they're only just now getting around to Kiryu's buying everything and recruiting.

Is Night in the Woods supposed to evoke emotions that I can only describe as some sort of nostalgic depression?

Edit: I suppose melancholy would be a more accurate term?

joe2187

Banned
Is Night in the Woods supposed to evoke emotions that I can only describe as some sort of nostalgic depression?

You'll be feeling that more often as the LP progresses...and then you'll get a whole new level of melancholic existential depression.

I really wish Matt would back off on telling woolie to stick to one friend route and let him play it as he pleases....the whole waffling on trying to make him choose really dampens a really chill LP.

Fancolors

You'll be feeling that more often as the LP progresses...and then you'll get a whole new level of melancholic existential depression.

I really wish Matt would back off on telling woolie to stick to one friend route and let him play it as he pleases....the whole waffling on trying to make him choose really dampens a really chill LP.
Oh? He's still doing that? I dropped it the moment he steered Woolie into hanging out with Gregg

I feel Matt just wants Woolie to maximize the game's impact for himself and the viewer. I haven't played it myself but it seems to do that you have to follow one line to at least get its completion. Honestly this is something Woolie shouldn't need to be told. Games are notoriously bad about shoehorning you down one path, and deviating from that can cause you to miss out on the best parts. Hell, I'm almost 100% certain Woolie complains about that fact in this LP and in previous podcasts.

But anyway, I'm enjoying watching the LP itself and glad to hear it only goes deeper in its mood. It's a feeling I oddly enjoy. Even some of the most simple imagery helps. Like the scene in the empty broken down parking lot with the orange sky in the background. Just reminds me of when I was in high school in my little hometown just overlooking lengths of nothing due to a similarly dying local economy. Probably a common experience for those who grew in the rust belt. Curious if those who spent their whole lives in big cities get the same feelings.

Fancolors

Then what even is the point of giving Woolie the controls. The biggest difference in everyone's playthrough is going to be what friend they decided to hang out with. And there's no 'completion', game doesn't follow the S-Link formula where a scene is necessary for another to happen.

If the individual interactions are building a narrative for each friend which requires X interactions within X days then deviating just once will terminate the ability to visit the whole of that path - that is, its 'completion'.

Holy shit, Woolie actually complaining that the Desmond shit is no longer in Assassin's Creed.

The worst opinion. A Trump-like opinion. This guy, this swamplord.

Holy shit, Woolie actually complaining that the Desmond shit is no longer in Assassin's Creed.

The worst opinion. A Trump-like opinion. This guy, this swamplord.

I agree with Woolie in that the present day stuff was criminally under-utilised. Jumping around through time is cool, but you know what could've been the coolest? A grand conspiracy tying it all together with extra-dimensional aliens.

joe2187

Banned
Im glad I dropped out of the AC series after the 2nd game....

Also I need another "Best friends look at terrible XBLA indie games" again....do they even still have those anymore? is there a PC/PS4 equivalent?

KRaZyAmmo

Im glad I dropped out of the AC series after the 2nd game....

Also I need another "Best friends look at terrible XBLA indie games" again....do they even still have those anymore? is there a PC/PS4 equivalent?
Well there were some terrible games that went on ps4 like life of black tiger, airport something, and some other stuff. I think jim sterling covered some.

It gives me a sweeter version of the feeling I get when I visit my parents and the small town spent my first 21 years in. If I was ever forced to move back is be crushed with depression lol

Possum Springs is way more jammin than that place tho. I pretty don't want to talk to anyone in my town ever again

Anung

Un Rama
I was thinking about how the Twin Peaks fanbase has been really good at keeping any spoilerific stuff to a minimum.

And then Matt McSpoiler happens. Unfollowing preemptively to save myself any future pain.

I agree with Woolie in that the present day stuff was criminally under-utilised. Jumping around through time is cool, but you know what could've been the coolest? A grand conspiracy tying it all together with extra-dimensional aliens.

I wish the future stuff was still prominent. Loved it until 3. Wish there was more.

Go watch one of those Dan Brown movies or something. The grand conspiracy/dystopian future stuff in Assassin's Creed was bottom-of-the-barrel genre tripe from the word "go", there's no reason to believe it was ever going to evolve into anything but trash.

Top Bottom