• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

ShyGuy

FFS where is this game!?

It's past midnight 15th in New York

It's already 4:03pm here in Melbourne

I need this game!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Thirst in Japan:
URyJaVv.jpg

So is this going to be as big a launch as Pokemon GO? Really fascinated to see how this is received by the general public. It'll surely top the charts for weeks though.

Kindekuma

Banned
So is this going to be as big a launch as Pokemon GO? Really fascinated to see how this is received by the general public. It'll surely top the charts for weeks though.

Doubt it. The price is gonna turn some people off compared to when Pokemon Go was free and available on all platforms from
basically
the get go.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I talked to my students today about the game, middle schoolers. They all said they were excited about it but it was really expensive for a phone game.

Lol I said, lets wait and see if the game is any good... Value is relative to quality.

Review code in house!
Game is really fun and pick up & play
First Mario my wife and son are able to enjoy on their own
But at the same time is prerty obvious that there is a deeper harder level of playability for gamers like me

So have you tested how strict the always-online restriction is? This is basically a make-or-break limitation for many people.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Not sure now if 24 levels for £10 is value for money if they are all as short as the one shown on the tonight show.

nikos

You guys are making so much deal of this. lol
It's not "many" people.

It sort of is though. I've never complained about an always online console game, but it's a dealreaker for mobile games. I play mobile games during my commute, which takes place underground. I'll still buy this one, but I've abandoned countless mobile games because I wasn't able to play them during my commute.

You guys are making so much deal of this. lol
It's not "many" people.

Well, I'll say that many people will be affected by this limitation -- anyone who commutes via subway in most western cities, people in rural areas, people that have limited data plans, etc. I agree that most people don't know about the online requirement right now.

edit: they just talked about Super Mario Run on BBC 5 radio, and had Cara Ellison on (cool). No one mentioned it.

Yes at the bolded. I play a ton of games on mobile and I don't currently have a single one that requires online. The only ones I've ever even played that required it were Pokemon Go and FFRK.

Still, the bigger public is also used to being always online with games like Candy Crush and all. I also don't like being always online because 3G here in my country is terrible a lot of the time but I dunno if it's really that much of a deal breaker

Yes at the bolded. I play a ton of games on mobile and I don't currently have a single one that requires online. The only ones I've ever even played that required it were Pokemon Go and FFRK.

If only Pokemon Go hadn't been online only, it could have been successful.

If only Pokemon Go hadn't been online only, it could have been successful.
You don't see how a game that is a one button runner doesn't have a real reason to be online only while a location based game does?

Like you don't see how they're completely different?

It would be like if you had to go outside every time you wanted to cook at home, even though you're not getting takeout.

DagsJT

You don't see how a game that is a one button runner doesn't have a real reason to be online only while a location based game does?

It would be like if you had to go outside every time you wanted to cook at home, even though you're not getting takeout.

I think their point was being always online isn't going to affect sales.

I think the angle here is that people don't really think about "oh this uses my location so it HAS to be online" they just play it. It doesn't matter that much. Candy Crush could also definitely be offline.

People are mad about the always online thing because of the principle, right? Cant think of many times I don't have reception or WiFi that I'd want to play a game. It does suck for people playing on iPod Touches but I can't believe there's that many people in that situation.

Jackson

I think their point was being always online isn't going to affect sales.

Correct.

Pokemon GO required online and at its peak was the biggest mobile game anyone has ever seen. At it's height it had somewhere around 30,000,000 DAUs and made over $10,000,000 a day. It's also way more casual than Super Mario Run

10 out of the Top 10 Grossing games in the US require an internet connection in some form or another.

It's a non-issue to sales figures and user base and really any important metric imaginable for the title. However, it is a real issue to a small subset of users, which I understand, sucks for them.

Top Bottom