• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games With Reversible Covers / Shouldn't all games come with this?

jett

D-Member
That way the games get what marketing thinks it needs to sell, and we actually get something that is pretty and nice to look at. This way we avoid monstrosities like the infamous Arkham City GOTY boxart.

A bunch of Sony's games come with artwork on the reverse side of the cover, but they're not really covers. The only game I have that applies is ICO/SoTc Collection.

eec579a0e3c76640d5e270623905f041014c2ecc4cdbf4a8bb94717575529f306g.jpg

It's actually pretty nice, maybe would prefer hand-drawn artwork for SotC like the ICO side. What other games come with reversible covers?

I think it would be neat if we got covers classy enough to be considered both great looking and marketable so we wouldn't need reversible ones.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Reversible covers cost money and truth be told video game is inching closer and closer to the digital medium.

Though on the other hand I do like having reversible covers as an option.

Nintenleo

Super Mario 3D Land and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds had double covers, even if the Zelda one was just the normal cover withouth the golden filter. Very cool anyway.

Flandy

I don't really like reversible covers unless they're like Tearaway or Mass Effect 3
Tearaway-Date.jpg

Original Left, Reversible Right
icon_xl.jpg

Original Top, Reversible Bottom

If they don't have all the usual information they just look too out of place on the shelf :\

I print custom covers (or rather I pay a print company to print them). Almost always better than what games come with, plus I can get physical copies of the games at bargain bin prices if I find someone selling disc only.

DrArchon

I still really appreciate that Bioshock Infinite came with that nice optional cover to replace the godawful main cover with. I'd love to see more reversible covers for games, but I can totally see why they publishers don't do it more often. Covers really don't matter to them once the game is already sold so why bother putting in a second cover that can't even be used for marketing?

jelly

I'm not too bothered about boxed games but would love it if they included different covers for use on your dashboard, Steam custom view is sweet, something like that along with official covers from the devs would be excellent.

Yes, they are almost always better then the default option.

This one is my favorite:

bYIcx3H.jpg

Except when you put them on the shelf and they lack the same spines as everything else and it looks like shit. I never use the reversibles because they spend like 99.9% of the time on the shelf anyway and I'd rather all the spines match up than having a better cover I can't see unless it's out of its place. Despite that I would love to see better designs.

Well I don't think it's look like shit, and it's not like they are all mixed together, the ones with reversible covers go on one side the ones with out it go on the other.

Same with Steelbooks and different consoles.

Shauni

Ground Zeroes and The Evil Within are good recent examples of these. I'm hoping TPP has one as well since I loved GZ's.

Yes, they are almost always better then the default option.

Except when you put them on the shelf and they lack the same spines as everything else and it looks like shit. I never use the reversibles because they spend like 99.9% of the time on the shelf anyway and I'd rather all the spines match up than having a better cover I can't see unless it's out of its place. Despite that I would love to see better designs.

PMS341

I have always enjoyed the minimalist covers as opposed to the standard ones. Really helps games look a bit more mature as opposed to being products on a shelf.

Wish I could make a living just designing these.

I prefer them to be rare. It makes organizing my library easier if spines aren't different.

With that said two of my all-time favorite games got reversible covers last gen. Xenoblade Chronicles as seen above and Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon.

NotLiquid

I'm all for more striking or impressionistic cover art but it kind of annoys me that they forego the dedicated spines and console logos.

It looks good to look at it when you have the box in your hand. It looks like shit when you're organizing all the games on your shelf.

bomblord1

Banned
It's good when the reversible cover is done right (ie includes the logo on the side still and isn't just a large piece of artwork)

It always drives me nuts when the covers reverse side completely ignores the box boundaries and gets rid of the logo on the side it just looks so bad.

I'm all for more striking or impressionistic cover art but it kind of annoys me that they forego the dedicated spines and console logos.

It looks good to look at it when you have the box in your hand. It looks like shit when you're organizing all the games on your shelf.

Even the referenced Ico reversible, when just in a small cheap plastic PS3 case looks god awful. If it had all the proper spines, even on the front it would look a lot better.

Looks like people are at least aware of how shitty it is when they leave out the spines and borders. Really thought I was alone.

This local game store reversed all the Mass Effect 3 covers so it was only femshep. I asked a friend who worked there why, and it was because his manager refused to accept any other Shep than Femshep.

The guy had to reverse like 500 covers.

At least every game released in Germany should have one. Was very happy when I found out that Tearaway had a reversible cover without that hideous USK logo which looks even more hideous on tiny Vita boxes.

This local game store reversed all the Mass Effect 3 covers so it was only femshep. I asked a friend who worked there why, and it was because his manager refused to accept any other Shep than Femshep.

The guy had to reverse like 500 covers.

He deserved his fate.

Stencil

I print custom covers (or rather I pay a print company to print them). Almost always better than what games come with, plus I can get physical copies of the games at bargain bin prices if I find someone selling disc only.

Not a bad idea. What site do you use for print-quality cover scans, if you don't mind me asking?

On-topic, it does raise production costs slightly, and since a lot of covers use the backside now for boring technical that would have normally gone in manuals that are also ever-diminishing, it seems like real-estate that's already been accounted for recently.

Not a bad idea. What site do you use for print-quality cover scans, if you don't mind me asking?

There's a thread here on GAF with some alt. covers. Otherwise I just find them through browsing image boards and other places. I just hand over the image file to a local print company, same ones who do some posters I have, and with the dimensions they print it.

ghibli99

I like how some were fan-voted, which creates a nice link between dev/pub and community. They do cost more, but I think they're worth it, especially if a game requires significant information on the front for marketing purposes on the main cover. Best of both worlds.

nded

Most Sony developed/published games will have artwork on the reverse side, though it's not always an alternate cover. Resistance 3 has a pretty nice alternate.

YYwcW5N.jpg

TheMoon

Most Sony developed/published games will have artwork on the reverse side, though it's not always an alternate cover. Resistance 3 has a pretty nice alternate.

YYwcW5N.jpg

Is that still the case though? I thought they stopped doing this since launching the PS4.

In Germany, they briefly started issuing all first party published games with reversible covers featuring the exact same artwork/text minus the big USK ratings log, starting with God of War 3. That was a pretty fantastic. They don't do that anymore though, afaik.

I wish every game for every platform came with a clean version of the artwork that doesn't have any ratings logos or review quotes or "3 million awards!!!" logos on them. Just the platform banner, the artwork and thee dev/publisher logos. If only. :(

btw, the New Play Control releases for Wii all did this. They had this fugly white frame thing as the main cover but then the reversible one was the original artwork (sometimes) without ratings logos.

nded

Is that still the case though? I thought they stopped doing this since launching the PS4.

My copies of Bloodborne and Shadowfall have artwork on the reverse that could conceivably by used as an alternate cover, but I don't bother since they don't say anything on the spine. Things might be different in Europe.

KarmaCow

I don't really like reversible covers unless they're like Tearaway or Mass Effect 3
Tearaway-Date.jpg

Original Left, Reversible Right
icon_xl.jpg

Original Top, Reversible Bottom

If they don't have all the usual information they just look too out of place on the shelf :\

This might be a dumb question but why don't publishers that do that have both covers on the front on shelves? Don't even market it, just have both in the same pile. I'm sure there are people rabid enough to get both and all that would be different is the cover, so it's not really two different copies. They're already spending the money on printing two covers.

TheMoon

This might be a dumb question but why don't publishers that do that have both covers on the front on shelves? Don't even market it, just have both in the same pile. I'm sure there are people rabid enough to get both and all that would be different is the cover, so it's not really two different copies. They're already spending the money on printing two covers.

Because they (talking about EA and ME3 here) want to sell it based on the dude. The dudecover is what they think (rightfully?) sells the game to the casuals. See the BioShock Infinite cover whining back then.

Other pubs do it also because they focus tested one cover and put the other one in there for the fans while the main one is supposed to attract mass-market eyes.

Top Bottom