• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which current generation game holds the best graphics title?

Best? Maybe not, but for a game that was targeting VR and running at 60fps on consoles. Resident Evil 7 is a damn good looking game.

XFJTDrG.jpg

Forgot about re7, looks great.

bbylean

Neo Member
Is it worth playing The Order 1886 just for the eye candy? Or is it THAT horrible of an experience to suffer through? Is it worth 20 dollar?

sephiroth7x

I played it recently and enjoyed it for what it was. Dont go in expecting a game changer or something new... or even remotely interesting at some points... but worth a few hours

tassletine

Is it worth playing The Order 1886 just for the eye candy? Or is it THAT horrible of an experience to suffer through? Is it worth 20 dollar?

It's not horrible it's just very, very run of the mill. Probably not $20 but if you can find it cheaper maybe. The graphics are outstanding however. I played it after Horizon, and was blown away. The art direction is superb as well. If you're into the setting then it helps.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

It isn't IMO. I also thought that it would be ok and got it for cheap. Fuck I hated it. I even made a thread on gaf, while playing, about how much I was hating it. Lol.

Gamereator Swe recently did a top 10 list. https://www.gamereactor.se/artiklar/554193/Varldens+just+nu+10+snyggaste+spel/

10. Forza Horizon 3
9. Star Wars Battlefront 2
8. GTA V
7. Batman Arkham Knight
6. Crysis 3
5 The Order 1886
4. The Witcher 3
3 Uncharted 4
2. Battlefield 1
1. Horizon Zero Dawn

Crysis 3?
wasnt that like 2012?

Yes indeed it is a 2012 title but i guess the game holds up very well in 4K and highest settings. Digital Foundry still use Crysis 3 as a benchmark tool.

tassletine

nothing, I mean NOTHING beats the Last Guardian in a big screen with HDR enable. The majestic, imposible architecture based on old real artists, the animation, the scale and mystery of the world, the birds flying, the grass moving with wind...

Only people with boring taste can say uncharted, horizon, racing game or whatever photorealistic trash is the benchmark for graphics

I'd agree with that. The animation on that game alone can't be touched.

Sepultura

There are so many many beautiful games in the current gen.
Even low-budget game like ABZU is no less impressive than top AAA game Unch4. So I can't decide which game has better visual: cuphead/abzu/planet coaster or horizon ZD and other 100+ games. 10-years ago it was much easier: Crysis 1
I totally agree with this.

Game engine's have advanced to a degree that legitimately bad looking games are hard to come across. The variety of games being mentioned in this thread goes to show what different developers across different genre's have achieved in this generation. Its all highly impressive. 10 years ago, nothing even came close to Crysis.

pullcounter

From a pure graphical fidelity standpoint, Ghost Recon: Wildlands on PC, maxed out is the best looking game available at the moment imo.

Stig_92

Neo Member
To me, the most 'Realistic' looking game is The Order 1886 but the best overall looking game is Uncharted 4 (followed closely by Wolfenstein 2)

Traxtech

I actually really really enjoyed the game, everyone has different tastes so just try it. You'll know if it clicks a few missions in

I'd say yes. Set gameplay expectations at "medium" and enjoy it. The characters are great, the graphics are stupendous, and it'll make you want a (better) sequel, which will probably never happen.

Edit:
Oh, and to answer the question:
Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Order: 1886, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank, Resident Evil 7 were all breathtaking.

But... there's only one answer. Horizon Zero Dawn.

DonF

Yeah my vote goes to horizon zero dawn, it looks amazing on the pro, not only on pictures, but running. The amount of detail in the animations, the world and art...its just incredible what they accomplished with a console .

This thread made me reviset ratchet & clank now i own a 65” oled. One word: WOW. Damn near flawless graphics so my vote goes to Ratchet and Clank.

BANGS

Banned
Battlefront 2 has some really mind blowing graphics, but then the enemy soldiers start spinning in circles...

Stun Damage

Neo Member
It's only fair to put (semi)linear and open-world games in different categories.

Linear:
The Order 1886 - hands down the best pbr on the market; half a generation ahead of everything else I've seen. The modelling is astonishing both in terms of quality and consistency. It also has extremely advanced subsurface scattering, which it also deploys during gameplay (btw, player control aside, there is not a single difference in the graphical make-up between gameplay and cutscenes). Doesn't hurt that all the usual effects are up to a very high standard. I actually struggle to spot a single obvious visual compromise, they are all in the scope department. It's the clear winner here, but I'd also like to mention:

Quantum Break - best use of real-time GI this side of Tomorrow's Children. The passage of time scenes, rendered as you walk freely, are jaw-dropping.

Ratchet and Clank PS4 - Don't be fooled by the art, that's not merely a style over technology case. It's very advanced in almost every aspect, AA aside. Also, the temporal injection they use on Pro is better than most CK solutions.

Killzone: Shadow Fall - I probably should have put Battlefield 1 here, but the photogrametry doesn't impress me all that much. It's the easiest and laziest way to get pretty good textures, but it's a brick wall if you are striving for the best. Speaking of which, Killzone has amazing and frankly overlooked textures and materials. It also did area lights at the very beginning of the generation. It is 8 gen's Crysis and a good honorable mention.

Most consistently overrated graphics: Uncharted 4 - Sure, it's an impressive overall package, but it doesn't excell at any single aspect besides animation. In some respects it's acually quite poor (OMB, shadows, AA leaves ghosting and is among the poorer implementations of temporal AA). It also dynamically disables effects on scene by scene basis and uses the highest quality stuff only in cutscenes. Compare this to how The Order treats its cutscenes and visual make-up.

In the open-world category I'd like to throw Horizon and Arkham Knight. Unity would be here if the horrible LODs and crowds weren't there to ruin everything. Also, Witcher 3 looks laughable, as much as I love that game for other reasons.

Top Bottom