• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC: Archer S9 - Danger Island

Primus

Uh-oh, Chongo!

archerisland.jpg

EW:
"Executive producer Matt Thompson painted the scene: It is spring 1939, the Japanese are invading China, Germany just annexed Austria, and “in the middle of this, seaplane pilot and semi-functioning alcoholic Sterling Archer is drinking, screwing, gambling, and generally bumbling around French Polynesia with a smart-ass parrot named Crackers,” he revealed. “Welcome to Danger Island.”

So it's gonna be Archer meets Tales of the Gold Monkey. I can dig that.

Seesaw15

I have not seen a second of the last season of Archer but I still appreciate how they're trying to keep the show fresh.

Joyful

this is one long coma lol

I hope david cross can come back though, I enjoyed him in the earlier eps where archer is a pirate king

I wish they'd take the show in general about 20% more seriously. It's plenty funny but Archer is at his best when he's actually kicking ass instead of accidentally'ing his way through shit. Even the relationship stuff is better when it's taken slightly more serious.

I just feel like this show could be so much more. The potential it's there.

I liked what they tried to do last series but honestly I did not laugh once. Not once.

Series peaked at 3 and never quite returned. I'll still watch it endlessly mind.

Ray Down

Banned
I hope the final season they return to form to wrap it up, I still enjoy this show.

6 is up there with 2 and 4 for me, but I hear nothing but bad things for Season 8.

Groan
This stuff would be so much better as a spin off. Archer is at its best in an office with spy shenanigans, there are interesting ways to stray from that formula without ruining what made the show great in the first place.

Instead of fucking around in a coma, send Archer to the UK like in the Kingsman bit, have them work with MI6, make jokes about the cultural and language barrier, hell there's a lot of jokes to be made about ISIS and real ISIS (though I can understand why they choose not to go down that route) and have Archer have to take care of his infant daughter whilst running around England, doing spy shit and being an ass.

There, that's a better premise than Archer Vice and anything beyond.

Zubz

Banned
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Wasn't Vice critically panned & Dreamland a ratings bomb? Why would they try another theme season? I know they're locked in for Archer right now, but why not finish their contract & try one of these concepts as its own show? That post-apocalyptic pitch they had sounded good...

Man, are those early episodes pretty weird to rewatch now?

Definitely. I liked S6's compromise of them being a nameless CIA branch.

I didn't like the last season because the characters were effectively new. They had different dynamics and they had to get to know each other all over again. Archer Vice wasn't great, but I prefer it to Archer Dreamland simply because we still knew the characters.

Soon, there's going to be Archer Revolution in which Archer participates in the American Revolution. Or Archer of the South in which he fights in the Civil War.

Savitar

Dreamland would have been a nice three part mini, but not the whole damn season.

Same as this.

I really don't need another coma dream season.

Sloane

Banned
I didn't like the last season because the characters were effectively new. They had different dynamics and they had to get to know each other all over again. Archer Vice wasn't great, but I prefer it to Archer Dreamland simply because we still knew the characters.
Yeah, I didn't mind Archer Vice, it had its moments. Last season on the other hand... maybe should have called it quits by now, as much as I (used to) love the show.

B.K.

I watched a few early episodes that were pretty good. If I ever watch the series from the beginning, should I just stop at Vice?

Ray Down

Banned
Adam Reed just doesn't care guys:

Do you feel a responsibility to go back to the present day or are you just having fun exploring?

I don’t feel a responsibility to come back to the present day. And now that FX has let us open this can of worms, I’m excited to see where else we can go.

FX keep your creator in line.

They should have stuck with season 7's premise for a few seasons, that was a good spin on the formula that didn't completely fuck up all the character dynamics.

If you don't have any more ideas for Archer that's okay, make a new show with new characters.

These theme seasons are just a giant drag and not a single one past Vice has been successful ratings wise.

Adam Reed, make new shows with this idea instead of continuing ruining this show.

He normally would. That's kinda how Archer happened (it's basically Frisky Dingo, but with spys). But I bet he also likes money so he can keep working.

That said, I don't think these spin offs (or whatever you want to call them) have been as well thought out as a new show pitch.

Jocund

I enjoyed Archer for its serialized elements the most. These gimmicks do nothing for me, especially when they entirely ditch the present moment for, you know, 1930s-whatever.

jwk94

Stopped watching a few episodes into VICE. Really not interested in coming back until things are normal again.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why not just have them time travel or something to keep the same character dynamics? Or hell, just have them magically know each other and act like it's normal. No one's expecting realism from Archer anyway.

Just let it die. Archer hasn't been worth watching since season 4 and I still get suckered in to it every time ;_;

Such a shame since seasons 1-3 are amazing

Berordn

I liked most of Dreamland (except the finale which was... bad), but I was let down by it not returning to the modern day and now I'm worried we're gong to keep going through the same cycle of three episodes of character introductions if they pull this again.

Top Bottom