• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should the Marvel Cinematic and TV Shows just be considered separate universes?

Uzumaki Goku

The TV shows acknowledge the events of the movies but the movies... don't really acknowledge the TV Shows, so... would it be for the best if they were just considered separate going forward?

JCHandsom

At this point, yes.

daredevilcrying.gif

Anung

Un Rama
I'm still holding out for the walking flag to appear in a hallway scene with Iron Fist. Maybe the man with the hammer can cross over with Luke Cage?

Cheebo

Banned
The films don't ever acknowledge the tv shows and likely never will.

Films do huge business in places like China where the likes of the Netflix shows aren't available.

Nightshade is appearing in both Black Panther and Luke Cage but played by different actresses and probably going to be different types of characters.

I think it's safe to say #ItsNotAllConnected

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They already are. Dropping a single line about "the green guy" or mentioning "the incident" doesn't really mean all that much.

Honestly they should run with it so you can get characters like Black Widow and Hawkeye on the Netflix shows. It can be like 616 and Ultimate.

Oh, and a proper Inhumans movie.

Patryn

There's more like three separate universes at this point, and there's a hierarchy.

At the top there's the Marvel movies, which don't acknowledge anything else.

Then there's the Netflix shows, which acknowledge the movies and themselves, but nothing else.

And then at the very bottom there's Agents of SHIELD, which acknowledges everything else, but nobody else acknowledges. I'm guessing Inhumans will rank at this level as well.

DKehoe

Gold Member
They already are. Dropping a single line about "the green guy" or mentioning "the incident" doesn't really mean all that much.

This. Marvel doesn't want to directly say they aren't in the same universe but it's pretty clear from things they have said that it's the case. The TV characters won't be showing up in any of the films.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You'll all eat your words in a few hours after the Marvel Studios comic-con panel where Charlie Cox and company come out to announce their cameo in Avengers 4.

But yeah, no, the dream is dead.

Exactly my first thought. And when the Movie universe gets bigger and bigger with aliens, multiverses, gods and whatever, the tv show references would get even more ridiculous.

"Hey remember when the purple god dude invaded earth while we just fought street criminals?"

The movies are like the way older brother that doesn't acknowledge the younger one at all.

It's going to be kind of awful when Spider-Man inevitably introduces Kingpin as a different actor and it's the first time he is seen or heard about in New York City.

It's also a shame we'll never get any high school Spidey/Coulson interactions.

Yeah, I pretty much consider them so. If they were going to try and connect the universes, I think we'd have seen that by now. Instead we just see references going in one direction, and frankly I'm okay with that. Especially with the direction it looks like Iron Fist and The Inhumans are going. The TVMCU is just MCU fanfiction for me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It basically is, and that's fine. More people care about the movies. And you absolutely positively can not make watching the shows a prerequisite for "getting" more from the movies, even for jokes. The movie viewer has to feel like they're getting 100% out of the film by just going. If TV wants to delve into the side stuff that's fine.

They generally don't outright contradict each other, so just enjoy each thing for what it is.

Uzumaki Goku

Yeah, I pretty much consider them so. If they were going to try and connect the universes, I think we'd have seen that by now. Instead we just see references going in one direction, and frankly I'm okay with that. Especially with the direction it looks like Iron Fist and The Inhumans are going. The TVMCU is just MCU fanfiction for me.

So I guess as far as the movies are concerned, Coulson is still dead.

Altazor

The closest Agents of SHIELD has come to "influencing" in some ways the movies was explaining the Nick Fury/Helicarrier stuff that happened in Age of Ultron.

Apart from that, they pretty much are de facto separate universes. They're not fooling anyone with that #Itsallconnected stuff.

Shame, 'cause I'd love to see Tom Holland's Spidey fight against Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin and hangout with Charlie Cox's Daredevil.

Flux

They basically are separate entities. The movies move at a very fast pace and moving along a planned course. The Netflix shows are wrapped around one location and a small unit of heroes. Shield doesn't really serve a purpose outside of movie villain fodder.

Pachinko

I like to consider the marvel TV AND marvel Netflix universes as a "what if?" Storyline. Phase 1 of the MCU happened in both cases but I consider agents of shield "what if coulsen didn't die ?" And the entire Netflix line is more of a marvel knights kind of thing , it's inspired by or based on phase 1 but it's free to do it's own thing. In other words - the MCU has happened in agents of shield but agents of shield hasn't really happened in the MCU.

So I guess as far as the movies are concerned, Coulson is still dead.

I remember when the Avengers cast was on one of the talk shows to promote Age of Ultron, they were surprised by Clark Gregg asking a question. Then he asks them to cameo on Agents of SHIELD and it got real awkward.

There's more like three separate universes at this point, and there's a hierarchy.

At the top there's the Marvel movies, which don't acknowledge anything else.

Then there's the Netflix shows, which acknowledge the movies and themselves, but nothing else.

And then at the very bottom there's Agents of SHIELD, which acknowledges everything else, but nobody else acknowledges. I'm guessing Inhumans will rank at this level as well.

There's technically four then. The GotG: Mission Breakout ride at Disneyland officially exists in its own Universe, as it contradicts events in the movies

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
At this point, yes. It's funny, at first, Marvel gave lip service to the "It's all connected" stuff and actually tried to coordinate some semblance of continuity between movies and TV. But ever since Feige split from Ike Perlmutter to Disney, they pretty much are their own seperate universes.

It'll be interesting to see how Infinity War handles Nick Fury and SHIELD's role in the MCU, since they've been a non entity in films since Winter Soldier.

If they wanted to, the folks over at Marvel Studios could just put Daredevil in the Spidey sequel with a new actor and completely ignore the Netflix show. That's how little influence the TV shows have.

Feige wants to have complete control of what's in the MCU and with TV being out of his control, it's basically fan fiction.

jph139

They're obviously the same universe, because the TV stuff is based entirely on the premise that they take place in the movie universe. Daredevil works because of the destruction in Avengers. Jessica Jones has a whole episode about the fallout in New York. Guys in Luke Cage sell bootleg DVDs of it on street corners.

The movies don't mention the TV shows because none of them matter. No one gives a shit about some gangwar in Hell's Kitchen. Tony Stark isn't impressed by that one dude with bulletproof skin when he hangs around with a literal god.

It's trickle-down continuity, but that doesn't mean it's not continuity. This is nothing new for multimedia franchises, so I'm surprised when people act so confused.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The movies don't mention the TV shows because none of them matter. No one gives a shit about some gangwar in Hell's Kitchen. Tony Stark isn't impressed by that one dude with bulletproof skin when he hangs around with a literal god.

Yet he's in such need for help in his fight against Captain America, he'll travel to New York to recruit a fifteen year old boy who can stick to walls.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The closest Agents of SHIELD has come to "influencing" in some ways the movies was explaining the Nick Fury/Helicarrier stuff that happened in Age of Ultron.

And even that was the movies just throwing the show an old soup bone.

"Look, there's a Fury Ex Machina helicarrier at the end of Age of Ultron. Use that, don't use it. We don't care."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They're obviously the same universe, because the TV stuff is based entirely on the premise that they take place in the movie universe. Daredevil works because of the destruction in Avengers. Jessica Jones has a whole episode about the fallout in New York. Guys in Luke Cage sell bootleg DVDs of it on street corners.

It's trickle-down continuity, but that doesn't mean it's not continuity. This is nothing new for multimedia franchises, so I'm surprised when people act so confused.

Even then its a pretty weak connection and usually just used in passing to explain something in one of the shows or prop up some crazy piece of technology. Where does Copperhead get his special bullets, oh its Hammer tech. Then they never really bother making a big deal about that or in some cases, never mention anything again. Same for stuff like "the incident". Yeah they're in the same universe if you really want to go that far but they're not really in the same universe for all intents and purposes

Nah. Its more fun for me to think they're still 1 universe and come up with plausible reason for why and how theyre connected . Beside, agents of shield are still going to reference the movies and even though its only one way street, it still make agents of shield more fun because of the references.

Seeing ghost rider using the same magic teleport circle as dr strange is awesome.

At this point, I'm kinda fine with the one-direction continuity they've set up. Events from the films are reflected in the shows, but nothing in the shows happens at a scale to concern the 'higher tier' heroes. If they ever want to bridge that gap, the door is open.

Top Bottom