• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gq2sV2H.gif

dat wine

Only the finest Smuckers vintage for this crew.

Tyaren

First the horrible cut-scenes from horizon, now this. It seems that better gfx have some kind of cost in terms of quality. I'm hope that i'm wrong, but it seems so.

Can we stop with the hyperbole regarding Horizon's cutscenes/animations? Some side quest scenes look a little wonky, but it is really nothing, nothing
compared to Andomeda. Overall Horizon is actually among the best animated open world RPGs.

Can we stop with the hyperbole regarding Horizon's cutscenes/animations? Some side quest scenes look a little wonky, but it is really nothing, nothing
compared to Andomeda. Overall Horizon is actually among the best animated open world RPGs.
Heavenly Sword animates better than Andromeda...

Bioware really needed way more time with this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-S56ek5rMI
giphy.gif

Do we have this cutscene in non-borked form?

I want to compare it to that leaked clip from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opOdFKObpeM

The facial animation looked really good there.

I just finished a comparison between the (alpha?) footage from april 2016 and this one.

EDIT: I fixed the comparison with the non glitched version of the video

https://my.mixtape.moe/lygacu.mp4

PA goes in

Hell yes I joined EA Access to play Mass Effect: Andromeda over the weekend. I don't hate it.

Many, many years ago I went to a restaurant with Brenna that had a sommelier. He was insufferable in precisely the way I respect, champion, and endeavor to exemplify. He was clearly a Word Fucker, and actually opening his copy of the Merriam-Webster's unabridged would have involved a Hazard Team and industrial solvents. I don't know anything about wine, which delighted him, because then he could project even more of himself into social space. He described a vintage we had inquired about with a chuckle, appending: ”Ah, yes. That one? Young. And foolish."

He was not making a moral judgment. He thought the information was pertinent. Being young and foolish can be delightful; it can also be youthful and unwise.

The stuff about the animations you've no doubt seen on virtually every news site calling attention to specific moments hasn't been as bad in the moment. Some of them, like the janked running on the stairs, I can't even reproduce unless I run forward while rapidly alternating between presses of A and D. I don't want to tell people they're doin it rong but that's not my customary mode of interaction. In any case, the problem for me hasn't been the animation and it certainly hasn't been the combat. And I'm not opposed to Mass Effect: Inquisition in concept, but. The writing in this game is young and foolish.

I have a reputation as ”the one who likes shit," so let me tell you now, thus augmented: I would not have finished the tutorial if this hadn't been Mass Effect. Right now, they are taking time from me the game has not earned - and they are only starting to earn their way back out of debt something like six hours in. A charitable reading is that they are explicitly, as opposed to accidentally, channeling The CW. I don't understand why any of these people are acting they way they do. I can't tell you how much I hate writing this.

I ended up putting way, way more time into Mass Effect 3 multiplayer than I ever expected to, and I suspect that may be true here also, because it's cut from the same cloth while absorbing the immediacy and impact of the new combat in general. Also, doing these missions can farm resources for your character in the main campaign, so... yeah. We're done here. I've had very confusing instances of lag, though, lag that lasted the entirety of a single online match, but... I didn't leave? You wouldn't believe how effective I was when everything was slowed down to a fifth the normal speed. I suspect this is how Kiko sees the world.

So that's why the reviews look the way they do, maybe. It's all people holding their own knees, muttering, rocking back and forth, wandering the halls trying to pull apart, rack, and sun-dry their feelings about it. Thus far, I am mostly confused.

Maledict

That image is unbelieavble. It's Ps2 era graphics.

And then you watch the video and realise it's even worse. Even basic composition is fucked - the krogan is the main speaker, but permanently blocked by the Asari. Who speaks, but literally the only part of her body that moves are her lips. Meanwhile, the krogan looks to be dancing behind her.

How? HOW?

That GB quick look has sealed the deal for me. Staying far away. Between the terrible animation/graphics and the terrible dialogue, there's no way the better gameplay from the past versions overcomes that.

I'd ask, "How does a AAA game like this get handled so poorly," but Bioware has more than enough history of doing just that at this point. I can't feign surprise.

Deadstar

That GB quick look has sealed the deal for me. Staying far away. Between the terrible animation/graphics and the terrible dialogue, there's no way the better gameplay from the past versions overcomes that.

I'd ask, "How does a AAA game like this get handled so poorly," but Bioware has more than enough history of doing just that at this point. I can't feign surprise.

Thinking about doing the same until it hits sale. If I wanted a third person shooter I'd play gears of war. I come to mass effect for the story and the dialogue. The shooting can be the worst part and it wouldn't bother me if everything else is good.

Also, with no music while you are in the ship it's a pass for me. The music was a huge part of why Mass Effect was great. Why didn't the developers realize that?

eizarus

Banned
That image is unbelieavble. It's Ps2 era graphics.

And then you watch the video and realise it's even worse. Even basic composition is fucked - the krogan is the main speaker, but permanently blocked by the Asari. Who speaks, but literally the only part of her body that moves are her lips. Meanwhile, the krogan looks to be dancing behind her.

How? HOW?

PS2? Hell to the no. In the screenshot, maybe. But not in the video itself. PS3 era is more fitting. Regardless, what the fuck is wrong with the body proportions of the red-haired guy. I want to play this game one day and like it, but that shit just looks amateur as fuck.

eizarus

Banned
But the gameplay from 2016 already had better animation, better effects, better lighting. And while effects/graphical downgrade is possible, why on earth would anyone downgrade animation that was already done?

Because Bioware wants us to have a comedy obviously.

Officer.Sanchez you should make a thread with that comparison.

it's impossible to achieve that level of detail and lighting on consoles, so things had to be cut down

I wish devs wouldn't be so concerned with graphics parity with consoles/pc. Damn that looked way better and my PC probably could have handled it.

MTC100

Banned
What..? Texture and lighting I could understand, but to downgrade animations?? (compare the faces)

The early material is just a prerendered scene, doesn't need to have anything to do with the actual game engine(and in this case it really doesn't judging by the differences). Nothing new, it's Watchdogs all over again...

Sini

The early material is just a prerendered scene, doesn't need to have anything to do with the actual game engine(and in this case it really doesn't judging by the differences). Nothing new, it's Watchdogs all over again...

It's definitely rendered in-engine.

a916

It's clear the stream is static and not parented to the bottle... but the bottle moves around and to have that parented would just look weird...

They shouldn't have the bottle moving around like that and made it easier...

Thinking about doing the same until it hits sale. If I wanted a third person shooter I'd play gears of war. I come to mass effect for the story and the dialogue. The shooting can be the worst part and it wouldn't bother me if everything else is good.

Also, with no music while you are in the ship it's a pass for me. The music was a huge part of why Mass Effect was great. Why didn't the developers realize that?

A "little" bit off topic and might not even be an answer to your problem, but you might want to check out the soundtrack for Stellaris, Paradox Interactive's space flavoured grand strategy. Even if the game itself isn't your thing, the soundtrack, alteast in my opinion, is pretty "Mass Effect" like.

a916

Holy shit! Really? That's almost an Aliens: Colonial Marines level downgrade!

Not really... that an internal leak was it not? It'd be one thing if they released that and lied.

EDIT: Artistically it's a huge downgrade... but I was merely commenting on the fiasco.

That's a Dark Souls II level of ripping a working lighting system out of the game.

Like DSII, the game looks positively ghastly without the intended lighting solution.

yeah, agreed, but dark souls 2 didn't look half this bad. it's all them cold, sterile metal environments that make this look all that much worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom