• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

andymcc

Banned
getting

Uncharted 2
Brutal Legend
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

glad I waited on Sigma.

edit: good lord how many times can i screw up the title to sigma.

Lambtron said:
Living in a state where Amazon charges tax is the suck, and why I don't order from Amazon often. I also hate waiting for stuff to come in the mail, I'm impatient.

The tax thing really is what makes Amazon enticing to me so I feel your pain. Saving on the tax plus it being a few bucks cheaper just makes the overall purchase several dollars cheaper. Combine that with Prime, which I highly recommend since you can share it with four other people making it a cost of $16 per person, and you get 2 day shipping and release date delivery for free all the time. It's amazing during the holidays to have shipping like that plus cheap overnight shipping for that last minute gift. Also if you're lucky like I am, all media ships out of Nevada for me so that's games, movies, books, etc so 2 day shipping turns out to be overnight all the time for me. Another perk is Black Friday. Amazon matched all the Black Friday sales so I had all the good deals purchased by midnight, shipped to me free, and I didn't have to fight the crowds or break a sweat. Every year, Amazon gets better and better to me.

Bizzyb

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
They've actually changed it recently cuz of some abuse. It used to be you could generate codes as often as you needed but now you can generate one per 24 hour period. The code will apply to your entire order. The thing is you can generate codes and hold on to them for later usage from what I understand. I haven't had a need to stock pile them but it sounds like people do hold on to a few spares just in case. So ya, go ahead and put everything in one order and you should be fine.

This is good to know. I just got A Boy and His Blob for $32...Nice!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Marty Chinn said:
The tax thing really is what makes Amazon enticing to me so I feel your pain. Saving on the tax plus it being a few bucks cheaper just makes the overall purchase several dollars cheaper. Combine that with Prime, which I highly recommend since you can share it with four other people making it a cost of $16 per person, and you get 2 day shipping and release date delivery for free all the time. It's amazing during the holidays to have shipping like that plus cheap overnight shipping for that last minute gift. Also if you're lucky like I am, all media ships out of Nevada for me so that's games, movies, books, etc so 2 day shipping turns out to be overnight all the time for me. Another perk is Black Friday. Amazon matched all the Black Friday sales so I had all the good deals purchased by midnight, shipped to me free, and I didn't have to fight the crowds or break a sweat. Every year, Amazon gets better and better to me.
Amazon is Glorious.

You can get Uncharted 2 for 3$ cheaper to start, Knock off an extra 2-3$ by getting it in your gold box(Pretty easy to do), You also get 5$ in credit now to your next purchase(Can just keep rolling this between them). And then take off an extra 10% and no tax. You'll end up saving about 20$ from buying it in the store. Not to mention, don't even have to waste the time nor gas.

Just saying, but these Buy 2, get 1 from Toys'r'Us just isn't cutting it anymore. Only place I still purchase games from in retail is Gamestop(Combo of Edge Card+Weekly sales can out do Amazon from time to time)

Alex

Yeah, Amazon charges me tax, and I dont buy a lot of stuff of em usually anyway so prime is extremely expensive for how little I get. I do more through their marketplace than Amazon themselves.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Well damn. Just did the math for Brutal Legend, DS Extraction and ABAHB.

Amazon = 125.98 (+$10 credit)
ToysRUs = 118.98

With the $10 credit from preordering Brutal Legend Amazon comes out a few bucks cheaper.

shintoki said:
Amazon is Glorious.

You can get Uncharted 2 for 3$ cheaper to start, Knock off an extra 2-3$ by getting it in your gold box(Pretty easy to do), You also get 5$ in credit now to your next purchase(Can just keep rolling this between them). And then take off an extra 10% and no tax. You'll end up saving about 20$ from buying it in the store. Not to mention, don't even have to waste the time nor gas.

Just saying, but these Buy 2, get 1 from Toys'r'Us just isn't cutting it anymore. Only place I still purchase games from in retail is Gamestop(Combo of Edge Card+Weekly sales can out do Amazon from time to time)

I've read about the Gold Box stuff but haven't learned what the trick is to getting specific items to show up there. Can you elaborate on the trick?

Bizzyb

Banned
shintoki said:
Amazon is Glorious.

How do you get games in your gold box?? Explain that part to me please.

Alex said:
Yeah, Amazon charges me tax, and I dont buy a lot of stuff of em usually anyway so prime is extremely expensive for how little I get. I do more through their marketplace than Amazon themselves.

For you, it completely makes sense why you don't do much business since tax is definitely a negative factor, but for others who have this mentality of "I don't buy much on Amazon, so Prime isn't worth it for me" need to realize that once you have Prime, your shopping habits change and really for the better.

Since you have Prime, and you get no tax and free shipping, you change to this mentality of before you buy anything you wonder "I wonder how much it is on Amazon" and then you realize 9 times out of 10, it's cheaper than buying it from the store. Once you start having that mentality, you begin making Amazon your first place to shop and you end up buying a lot more from there then you ever realized you would. You're not simply just buying more stuff than usual but you're actually buying stuff you would have bought elsewhere now on Amazon and you're saving money in the process.

So this whole mentality of "I don't shop much at Amazon so Prime isn't worth it to me" is really the wrong way to look at it. You'd be surprised at how much stuff Amazon stocks. My friend used to have this mentality too and he's done a 180 stance getting Prime. Also again, keep in mind, Prime is shareable up to 5 accounts. Doing it that way makes it only a little over a $1 a month to have it. Who wouldn't pay a little over a buck a month for it?

stupei

Marty Chinn said:

I used to use Amazon all the time before my state changed the tax thing. Now I only really use them for really good sales or on Black Friday when I'm with relatives who live in a state that doesn't have the tax and I can pay back the charge on their credit card. :lol

chixdiggit

Marty Chinn said:
I think for the first time since they started doing this sale, I won't be participating in it. Thanks to Amazon

You speak the truth. I too will not do the TRU deal this year because of Amazon. If you know how to work the deals on Amazon gaming gets a whole lot cheaper.

Well considering my Toys is a 5 minute walk from home and I have like $100 in gift cards, I will be there. Probably going to pack up on more handheld titles.

Well, I used the $15 Scribblenauts gift card on Bowser's Inside Story, but I got the $15 gift card for that too.

Looks like I'll be making a trip.

Uncharted 2
???? - placeholder for NSMB Wii, maybe. November 15, right?
A Boy and His Blob

Deadly Creatures
HOTD Overkill
Wii Fit Plus

Rhythm Heaven
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Legendary Starfy

SnakeEyez

So I just came from the thread from CAG and they were talking about how some people try to swindle the system, buy 2 games, get one free and return the 2 games for refunds therefore getting a free game for free. Do people really do/get away with that? That's just....low.

SnakeEyez said:
So I just came from the thread from CAG and they were talking about how some people try to swindle the system, buy 2 games, get one free and return the 2 games for refunds therefore getting a free game for free. Do people really do/get away with that? That's just....low.

Yep, every single time a B2G1 free offer comes up.

GQman2121

Banned
SnakeEyez said:

It's bull shit. That doesn't work. Anyone claiming that they've gotten away with that is a liar.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'd like to take advantage of this deal during the busy holiday season, but as a grown man I feel like a creepy pedo walking around by myself at Toys R Us.

SnakeEyez said:
I knew people that did stuff like that, but I don't think it works if you take it back to TRU. Wal-Mart and Target both let you return two items per year without a receipt using your drivers license. You'll get store credit on a gift card, but you could theoretically buy four games at TRU, get two free, and return the first four games to other stores. But I agree, that is the lowest of low. And that's why I never talk to those people anymore. I don't need people like that in my life.

Snuggler said:
I'd like to take advantage of this deal during the busy holiday season, but as a grown man I feel like a creepy pedo walking around by myself at Toys R Us.

:lol I get that same feeling walking around in a TRU too....like, "man I really should not be in here"

and then you feel like all the moms are looking at you like "wtf is he doing in here"

MikeE21286 said:
:lol I get that same feeling walking around in a TRU too....like, "man I really should not be in here"

and then you feel like all the moms are looking at you like "wtf is he doing in here"
ICONATOR_48cbde5e4e673feb018995ec838a811b.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So can you buy two of the same game and still get one free? My gf also wants UC2 so I figure we could both buy it and we get a free game. This way I wouldn't have to do the trade out scheme.

Rapping Granny said:
Fuck this shit, it needs to happen in Canada as well, we are paying for $69 games now.
But don't some 90% of Canadians live within 50 miles of the border? Can't you just drive down and buy it in the USA? NAFTA FTW!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
shintoki said:
Amazon is Glorious.

I still don't get how this saves money from the Toys R' us deal. You buy two games at 60 dollars, that's 120, 125ish with tax. You get three games for that price. How does one go about that on amazon?

Timing is a little off. I don't know if I can wait that long to buy Demon's Souls. Haven't had a new game in a while.
I'd planned on buying Uncharted 2, but the mp demo really sealed it. Although I don't know what my third game would be ? Did Africa turn out good ? Don't care for Ninja Gaiden.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Death Dealer said:
Timing is a little off. I don't know if I can wait that long to buy Demon's Souls. Haven't had a new game in a while.
I'd planned on buying Uncharted 2, but the mp demo really sealed it. Although I don't know what my third game would be ? Did Africa turn out good ? Don't care for Ninja Gaiden.

You should buy another game and exchange it for R+C.:D

msdstc said:
I still don't get how this saves money from the Toys R' us deal. You buy two games at 60 dollars, that's 120, 125ish with tax. You get three games for that price. How does one go about that on amazon?
I don't... You quoted... read?huhwz...

Okay, no tax. Thats $5 a game (Wish I lived in magic 4% tax rate land you posted). Add in $3 from Amazon just charging less. 10% off from the ECA/whatever thing, another $6. We are at $14 so far. It will also put stuff you are interested in on sale for you, knocking off another $2-3. If you get a gift card for $5 with purchase, that can roll to be permanent, totalling for over $20 saved.

The TRU deal is probably a better deal on $20 stuff though.

msdstc said:

Here's what I did.

Halo ODST - $49.49 - 10% ($4.95) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $44.54
Rock Band Beatles - $53.99 - 10%(5.40) - $10 credit from ODST + No Tax + Free Shipping = $38.59
Uncharted 2 = $56.99 - 10%(5.70) - $10 credit from RB Beatles + No Tax + Free Shipping = $41.29

Total cost for all three from Amazon - $124.42

Now at Toys R Us, had I bought the same deal it would have been

Halo ODST - $59.99
Rock Band Beatles - $59.99
Uncharted 2 - $0.00

Total cost for all three at Toys R Us - $59.99 + $59.99 + $0.00 + tax ($11.10) = $131.08

End result, cheaper at Amazon. There's even ways to get it even cheaper on Amazon too.

Edit- Here's another example from what someone was planning on getting at Toys R Us.

On Amazon

Boy and his Blob - $36.99 - 10%($3.70) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $33.29
Batman Arkham Asylum - $52.99 - 10%($5.30) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $47.69
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - $21.25 - 10%($2.13) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $19.12

Total cost from Amazon - $100.10

At Toys R Us

Boy and his Blob - $39.99
Batman Arkham Asylum - $59.99
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - $0.00
Tax - $9.25

Total cost from Toys R Us - $109.23

Phaethon0017 said:
Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend are a given, but I can't for the life of me think of a 3rd game to get.

Amazon:

Brutal Legend - $56.99 - 10%($5.70) = $51.29
Uncharted 2 - $56.99 - 10%($5.70) - $10 Credit from Brutal Legend = $41.29

Total Cost - $92.58

Toys R Us:

Brutal Legend - $59.99
Uncharted 2 - $59.99
Third Game - $0.00
Tax - $11.10

Average Cost per game - $43.69
Total Cost for two games - $87.39

So cheaper at Toys R Us, but you're forced to get a third game. $5 worth the extra effort of figuring out a third game, driving out there hoping that all three games are there and so forth. Cheaper yes, but not by much. Plus if you put a little more effort into it, you can knock about $6 off the Amazon order making it cheaper but that actually takes a bit more effort to do. Plus, Uncharted gives you $5 credit towards your next purchase. Definitely cheaper at TRU, but just some food for thought.

Marty Chinn said:
Here's what I did.

Halo ODST - $49.49 - 10% ($4.95) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $44.54
Rock Band Beatles - $53.99 - 10%(5.40) - $10 credit from ODST + No Tax + Free Shipping = $38.59
Uncharted 2 = $56.99 - 10%(5.70) - $10 credit from RB Beatles + No Tax + Free Shipping = $41.29

Total cost for all three from Amazon - $124.42

Now at Toys R Us, had I bought the same deal it would have been

Halo ODST - $59.99
Rock Band Beatles - $59.99
Uncharted 2 - $0.00

Total cost for all three at Toys R Us - $59.99 + $59.99 + $0.00 + tax ($11.10) = $131.08

End result, cheaper at Amazon. There's even ways to get it even cheaper on Amazon too.

Edit- Here's another example from what someone was planning on getting at Toys R Us.

On Amazon

Boy and his Blob - $36.99 - 10%($3.70) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $33.29
Batman Arkham Asylum - $52.99 - 10%($5.30) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $47.69
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - $21.25 - 10%($2.13) + No Tax + Free Shipping = $19.12

Total cost from Amazon - $100.10

At Toys R Us

Boy and his Blob - $39.99
Batman Arkham Asylum - $59.99
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - $0.00
Tax - $9.25

Total cost from Toys R Us - $109.23

I don't mind the extra $7-10 if it means I don't have to wait for it to ship.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jamesfrom818 said:
I don't mind the extra $7-10 if it means I don't have to wait for it to ship.

You can order games now and it will arrive before the sale even starts with free shipping.

If you have Prime, you can get free 2 day shipping, and if you're close enough, that turns out to be free overnight shipping plus free release day delivery shipping.

I don't see how you don't mind waiting for the sale to start and then try to find a location that has all three titles in stock is easier and quicker than just ordering it now.

Marty Chinn said:
You can order games now and it will arrive before the sale even starts with free shipping.

If you have Prime, you can get free 2 day shipping, and if you're close enough, that turns out to be free overnight shipping plus free release day delivery shipping.

I don't see how you don't mind waiting for the sale to start and then try to find a location that has all three titles in stock is easier and quicker than just ordering it now.

I was saying that assuming the deal was currently going on now.

The article linked has been updated. Apparently accessories $5-$100 are also B2G1 free as well but I doubt you can combine games and accessories. If you could I might go with Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and the PS3 bluetooth headset.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Son of Godzilla said:
I don't... You quoted... read?huhwz...

Okay, no tax. Thats $5 a game (Wish I lived in magic 4% tax rate land you posted). Add in $3 from Amazon just charging less. 10% off from the ECA/whatever thing, another $6. We are at $14 so far. It will also put stuff you are interested in on sale for you, knocking off another $2-3. If you get a gift card for $5 with purchase, that can roll to be permanent, totalling for over $20 saved.

10% isn't 6 when you deduct savings though is it? Also 20$ saved? edit- nvm I gotcha. But still you're not guaranteed that, plus it has to be shipped to you. I definitely see what you're saying though... Can you do this year round?

Edit-
Felix Lighter said:
The article linked has been updated. Apparently accessories $5-$100 are also B2G1 free as well but I doubt you can combine games and accessories. If you could I might go with Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and the PS3 bluetooth headset.

That would be so convenient... I've planned on getting a new controller for a while now. I'd get madden, Uncharted, and a new controller. Hopefully I could trade madden in for R+C, but if it didn't work out, I'd still want madden anyways.

Felix Lighter said:

wait... do Xbox points count as accessories? If so

Uncharted 2
ODST or Dead Space Extraction, whichever isn't sold out when Uncharted 2 hits shelves
4000 xbox points

WIN

edit: or even
1600 points
1600 points
free 1600 points

there's no way... can there?

Gryphter said:
wait... do Xbox points count as accessories?

edit: or even
1600 points
1600 points
free 1600 points

there's no way... can there?
Yeah, that is kinda like being able to buy discounted money. I doubt point cards will be in the deal but it is possible. They do go on sale sometimes and this would just be a 33% off sale.

Wrekt

Marty Chinn said:
Amazon:

Brutal Legend - $56.99 - 10%($5.70) = $51.29
Uncharted 2 - $56.99 - 10%($5.70) - $10 Credit from Brutal Legend = $41.29

Total Cost - $92.58

Toys R Us:

Brutal Legend - $59.99
Uncharted 2 - $59.99
Third Game - $0.00
Tax - $11.10

Average Cost per game - $43.69
Total Cost for two games - $87.39

So cheaper at Toys R Us, but you're forced to get a third game. $5 worth the extra effort of figuring out a third game, driving out there hoping that all three games are there and so forth. Cheaper yes, but not by much. Plus if you put a little more effort into it, you can knock about $6 off the Amazon order making it cheaper but that actually takes a bit more effort to do. Plus, Uncharted gives you $5 credit towards your next purchase. Definitely cheaper at TRU, but just some food for thought.
Wait, what?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Wrekt said:
Wait, what?

Basically, he's saying you have to spend more money in order to save money. Since you don't have to buy three games on Amazon, you have the option to buy as many or as few games as you want, and the per game price is still comparative to the TRU deal per game price. With TRU, you must buy three games, and therefore spend a minimum amount.

Concept17

Uncharted 2
Demon's Souls
Brutal Legend

Going to trade Brutal Legend for Borderlands. Hopefully. Have 15$ GC so it should come out to 105$.

dexterslu

Going to use this sale as an opportunity to support games I wanted to buy last year.
Most likely going to pick up platinum hits Dead Space, Midnight Club Los Angeles Complete Edition and Saints Row 2. Seems like an incredible steal to get all these games for 60 bucks.

Top Bottom