• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Hale-XF11

Who is the king?

Insanity. Everyone's tricks scores blow mine out of the water. I'm glad I've relegated myself to doing my best at racing. I just don't have the proper patience to compete in Trick It at the moment.

Improved my time on Bear Claw today as well, had to wingsuit almost the entire course to get ahead of of my rival. Talk about taking all the fun out of it. Not that I'm against the use of wingsuits but in all honesty they do water down a lot of the races.
Heh, yeah, after that first jump it's all wingsuit practically the whole rest of the way. It finally dawned on me a few days back that lift was (I think) the most important factor since it allows you to do more nosediving, which apparently is the fastest way to travel forward in this game. So by concentrating on doing that, I got my time down to the :53-:55 range.

soultron

Banned
Insanity. Everyone's tricks scores blow mine out of the water. I'm glad I've relegated myself to doing my best at racing. I just don't have the proper patience to compete in Trick It at the moment.

Heh, yeah, after that first jump it's all wingsuit practically the whole rest of the way. It finally dawned on me a few days back that lift was (I think) the most important factor since it allows you to do more nosediving, which apparently is the fastest way to travel forward in this game. So by concentrating on doing that, I got my time down to the :53-:55 range.

One of the devs I spoke with said that Air Speed is the more important factor because it allows for a faster descent when nose diving.

Tokubetsu

On Rolling Thunder?

It's important to get Tricky off the very first jump (Right after you land from jumping out of the heli!) and then sustain it the entire race. My secret is that, right after you leave the last cave, using your boost on the very first kicker to reach the upper shelf gives you access to a killer short cut. This is where you deploy the wingsuit and divebomb headfirst (Plunging nose first in a wingsuit is the fastest you can descend in the game, apparently.) towards the final jump that leads to the finish.

I was originally doing this without a wingsuit but then Todd and Jeremy, guys from the dev team, destroyed my time with a wingsuit. I had to succumb to the evils of the wingsuit to reclaim my time from them. :c

Just select my name using the Rivals wall and then find my time on Rolling Thunder. This will allow you to view my ghost data.

I was talking trick it scores higher than 33 million which is still the best I've ever done...on Serenity.

BPK

I'm confused how you get unlimited boost in this game? In SSX 3 you had to spell super uber. What is needed here and how does it work?

Hale-XF11

One of the devs I spoke with said that Air Speed is the more important factor because it allows for a faster descent when nose diving.

Interesting. Well, then maybe it's a nice balance of lift and air speed that helped my scores, cuz I do have decent air speed on my best wingsuit. I will experiment later and try a wingsuit with the best air speed over lift and see if I can improve my time again.

Minamu

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Finally got all gold on the rockies and I was 0.27 seconds faster than the AI gold on the last race. Barely any jumps, golden tricky with mods for most of the race and I still barely win these races... I'm not having much fun :(

Edit: This was with lvl 9 Mac who has a tricky bonus on his suit and speed/boost mods.

Hale-XF11

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Finally got all gold on the rockies and I was 0.27 seconds faster than the AI gold on the last race. Barely any jumps, golden tricky with mods for most of the race and I still barely win these races... I'm not having much fun :(

Edit: This was with lvl 9 Mac who has a tricky bonus on his suit and speed/boost mods.

Start using Elise for race events. She has the speed bonus. Use a wingsuit for shortcuts where necessary as well.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I was talking trick it scores higher than 33 million which is still the best I've ever done...on Serenity.
You're probably just not spamming the correct tricks. I wish the scoring system in this game rewarded variety rather just how many times you can pull off Black Bird.

soultron

Banned
You're probably just not spamming the correct tricks. I wish the scoring system in this game rewarded variety rather just how many times you can pull off Black Bird.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. When I'm in Super TRICKY it's just an ABAB pattern of X->B/B->X and sig Ubers. I feel that being a good trick player goes deeper than just mastering this simple pattern however; juicing rails to get a 20x multiplier, knowing when to butter to sustain your combo, finding routes that maximize your time on the slopes that also don't kill your multiplier, and so on.

I know it's a hardcore gamer pipedream, but in my mind, a stricter dupe condition would've made things much more interesting. Say, 3 to 4 tricks before a dupe would refresh itself for non-penalized use. I get that it's kept simple to appeal to new players, however. For all I know, this was tested and people just weren't having fun with it. I trust the developer's decisions, in the end.

Being honest though, even with a different trick system, I'd still not be a trick player. Racer all the way.

Trick of the environment, in the beginning you can get pretty big tricks from just going up the mountain side (On Serenity). Spam your signature trick, always do a quick flip + grab even when there is just a little hop so to speak. And don't cash in you your combo. That is pretty much it for me.

EDIT: And I don't consider myself that good of a trick it player. By the way, does the multiplier do anything before cashing in you combos? Like are you getting a higher trick score for having a higher multiplier? Because otherwise you can just session a spot forever in the beginning and then work up your multiplier later on.

On Rolling Thunder?

It's important to get Tricky off the very first jump (Right after you land from jumping out of the heli!) and then sustain it the entire race. My secret is that, right after you leave the last cave, using your boost on the very first kicker to reach the upper shelf gives you access to a killer short cut. This is where you deploy the wingsuit and divebomb headfirst (Plunging nose first in a wingsuit is the fastest you can descend in the game, apparently.) towards the final jump that leads to the finish.

I was originally doing this without a wingsuit but then Todd and Jeremy, guys from the dev team, destroyed my time with a wingsuit. I had to succumb to the evils of the wingsuit to reclaim my time from them. :c

Just select my name using the Rivals wall and then find my time on Rolling Thunder. This will allow you to view my ghost data.
I can squeze that .30 of a second without a wingsuit... I'm almost positive you wont be able to take it back without cheezing it. You just wait, I'm not worried about giving you a few measly thousands on ghosts wins as I attempt it.

You should remember that the explore mode ghosts are records set by the devs.

soultron

Banned
Trick of the environment, in the beginning you can get pretty big tricks from just going up the mountain side (On Serenity). Spam your signature trick, always do a quick flip + grab even when there is just a little hop so to speak. And don't cash in you your combo. That is pretty much it for me.

EDIT: And I don't consider myself that good of a trick it player. By the way, does the multiplier do anything before cashing in you combos? Like are you getting a higher trick score for having a higher multiplier? Because otherwise you can just session a spot forever in the beginning and then work up your multiplier later on.

Sessioning on a spot -- or simply moving down a run too slowly -- kills your multiplier now. This was done to make online competition fair in SSX. In past games, you had people who would go back up the mountain to get high scores.

Cuban Legend, set it up and I'll knock it down. IIRC, I was using a character with a trick perk suit rather than a boost perk suit like I should've been. :p

Jamie OD

I don't believe this. I just ended a Trick It run with 0 points! Last Call on Cerro Torre. Took so many rewinds it depleted my score to nothing by the time I reached the end. Ridiculous!

Edit: Got it up to 109,487. I'm not trying that blasted track again.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Your question wasn't really answered, so here we go: Yes, it multiplies the score you get for every landed trick, and then also multiplies the value of your combo when it cashes in. So you definitely want to get your multiplier up as fast as possible and keep it there.

soultron

Banned
Your question wasn't really answered, so here we go: Yes, it multiplies the score you get for every landed trick, and then also multiplies the value of your combo when it cashes in. So you definitely want to get your multiplier up as fast as possible and keep it there.

You get a combo bonus depending on what bracket your're in, IIRC?

Hypothetical example:

combo: 100
bonus: 250K

combo: 200
bonus: 400K

I can't remember what the exact break down is, but it was on Merq when the game came out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You get a combo bonus depending on what bracket your're in, IIRC?

Hypothetical example:

combo: 100
bonus: 250K

combo: 200
bonus: 400K

I can't remember what the exact break down is, but it was on Merq when the game came out.

Yeah, I don't know exactly what the bonus is, but I seem to recall someone saying that a 100+ trick combo gives a 300K bonus.

tm24

Whoever thought Avalanche was a god idea, just stop.

Also, i love doing Rolling Thunder Trick it. 22 million and i just discovered a new line. Gonna make that run my bitch

Minamu

You should remember that the explore mode ghosts are records set by the devs.
Good point, makes me feel a bit better :) Still, you need to beat some of them for the get all gold on a peak medal (which I now have woot).

Start using Elise for race events. She has the speed bonus. Use a wingsuit for shortcuts where necessary as well.
Alright will try it. Been avoiding her sicne she's just lvl 6 but that can change fast I suppose.

Any advice for the survive 4 runs without rewinds or equipment? After some practice, Whiteout was fairly easy with and without pulse goggles. Anything even cheaper?

equil

Good point, makes me feel a bit better :) Still, you need to beat some of them for the get all gold on a peak medal (which I now have woot).

Alright will try it. Been avoiding her sicne she's just lvl 6 but that can change fast I suppose.

Any advice for the survive 4 runs without rewinds or equipment? After some practice, Whiteout was fairly easy with and without pulse goggles. Anything even cheaper?

Do the "survive it" on Siberia>Kara-oiuk>Critical Mass, and stay to the right the whole time. Really easy.

Minamu

Do the "survive it" on Siberia>Kara-oiuk>Critical Mass, and stay to the right the whole time. Really easy.
Is that this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPeTCu3N1Lg

Cool, thanks man.

Does the orange Tricky stay like that, or does it end after a while?
It'll stay like that until you crash or stop doing tricks for a while. It'll start blinking when it's about to go away but if you continue to do well and/or press down on the board, you'll keep it forever with some skills :)

JaseMath

Cool, thanks man.

Does the orange Tricky stay like that, or does it end after a while?

It ends after a while. Don't know the time limit since it varies from character to character (and specifically, what they have equipped), but there's an ascending, revving up(esque) audio cue that lets you know when it's about to expire. It's not super obvious, especially in the hot and heavy of an event, so sometimes you have to listen for it.

MMaRsu

Banned
It ends after a while. Don't know the time limit since it varies from character to character, but there's an ascending, revving up(esque) audio cue that lets you know when it's about to expire. It's not super obvious, especially in the hot and heavy of an event, so sometimes you have to listen for it.
It never ends if you keep doing a boardpress

It ends after a while. Don't know the time limit since it varies from character to character, but there's an ascending, revving up(esque) audio cue that lets you know when it's about to expire. It's not super obvious, especially in the hot and heavy of an event, so sometimes you have to listen for it.

Oh it does!?? Any idea on which characters have it longer?

JaseMath

Oh it does!?? Any idea on which characters have it longer?

Some gear allows for longer Tricky time; it'll will specifically say so when you purchase some items. So I guess it's not technically a character attribute, but more an item attribute. Unless the boost stat plays into it - not sure about that one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, 50K participants in a Global Event is never gonna happen in the PS3 version. Never ever. The highest I've ever seen is 40+K, and that was right after the game was released. Earlier today, the highest number of players in a single event was about 18K. So, yeah. Sad to see the numbers drop so fast.

Curufinwe

I don't think I was going to get the plat anyway, but it's pretty poor form on EA's part to release a PS3 game where getting the platinum trophy is not possible.

JaseMath

Ok, 50K participants in a Global Event is never gonna happen in the PS3 version. Never ever. The highest I've ever seen is 40+K, and that was right after the game was released. Earlier today, the highest number of players in a single event was about 18K. So, yeah. Sad to see the numbers drop so fast.

Isn't there one going on right now w/23K and a week left? Somewhere in the Alps.

balddemon

Banned
idk what i'm going to do if/when the dead zone is tweaked...i'm already so used to it, 'fixing' it might screw me over for a while lol

JaseMath

idk what i'm going to do if/when the dead zone is tweaked...i'm already so used to it, 'fixing' it might screw me over for a while lol

My opinions of this game will likely soar if they fix it. Right now, especially on narrow runs in the Rockies or Alps, races are essentially on auto-pilot. You get bounced around the track and there's really nothing you can do about it. I stick mostly to Trick It events since racing with these shit steering controls is a crap shoot. Please fix this EA.

Minamu

There's plenty of time for those two events imo. Someone mentioned adding bots to the events too in case it doesn't work out. Either way, yeah it's sad to see, it's not a bad game at all.

Eccocid

DAMN!
I should have tried the demo or at least read this thread before buying SSuX :(

I thought this would have a normal online mode where i cna race in real time with friends while punching them :(

I thought it would have smooth controls like SSX3. What the fuck those controls. Ok it is not a car but still there is no weight on it. A slight press on analog stick and boarder turns 90 degrees! :(

But worst was..spending 10 minutes on game menus to find an online racing mode and figuring that only ghost races exists :(

Bought it 2 days ago..This goes to trade tomorrow morning.

MJLord

DAMN!

I thought this would have a normal online mode where i cna race in real time with friends while punching them :(

I thought it would have smooth controls like SSX3. What the fuck those controls. Ok it is not a car but still there is no weight on it. A slight press on analog stick and boarder turns 90 degrees! :(

But worst was..spending 10 minutes on game menus to find an online racing mode and figuring that only ghost races exists :(

LOL, read about your games before you buy them.

Eccocid

LOL, read about your games before you buy them.

Yeah i rarely buy games this blindly. And it was a friday evening after leaving office i thought i would get a new game and saw some videos of SSX. Thought it would be fun to play online and thought it would be like SSX3 :(

Crap.

MJLord

Yeah i rarely buy games this blindly. And it was a friday evening after leaving office i thought i would get a new game and saw some videos of SSX. Thought it would be fun to play online and thought it would be like SSX3 :(

Crap.

It's not SSX3 though. Enjoy it for what it does right, the ghost multiplayer is extremely addictive when you have people to compete with against times and stuff. The controls really are not as bad as everyone says they are (IMO (Xbox)).

Tbh the only thing I dislike about the game is a lack of replay option and a freerun down the mountain option.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
DAMN!

Control gripes aside (on 360 I feel no such issues exist), I used to be in the same boat regarding the mutiplayer. But after adding some SSX friends I much prefer the 'ghost' system SSX is using. Couple that with jam-packed global events (360 at least, PS3's participant counts sound dire?) the drops really come alive with racers everywhere. Besides, if you're in a Party with your friends on the same drop it's pretty much the same as if you were racing 'physically', you see your friends just the same racing down the same slope at the same time.

I don't think I was going to get the plat anyway, but it's pretty poor form on EA's part to release a PS3 game where getting the platinum trophy is not possible.

That 50k trophy is the only one I need to platinum this game. Sucks, I hope they can either patch it to like 20k riders, or just throw in that trophy for free :)

Bgamer90

Banned
DAMN!

You can still race against your friends in real time as long as they are in the same event at the same time. You can't push/punch them though.

SSX 3 for the PS2 had online play and it was a regular lobby system. As someone who played that as well as hours upon hours of SSX 2012, SSX 2012 is much better online. Way more addictive than SSX 3's traditional lobby setup.

Bollocks

Say I place a geotag in a short run and someone starts from higher above that goes into my descend, can they still retrieve my geotag?

Eccocid

You can still race against your friends in real time as long as they are in the same event at the same time. You can't push/punch them though.

SSX 3 for the PS2 had online play and it was a regular lobby system. As someone who played that as well as hours upon hours of SSX 2012, SSX 2012 is much better online. Way more addictive than SSX 3's traditional lobby setup.

The thing is i am not a high score gamer. If it isa racing game i love racing online with other people in real time. There is something really off racing against ghosts. And if you do same race several times your ghost opponents would be doing same thing over and over.

I was dreaming of stating form the top of mountain and going all the way back down with a friend. I miss those big mountain runs in SSX3.

Top Bottom