• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom has burned any good will they ever had away

Bulbasaur

Banned
I still rate Capcom highly. I love Megaman but I didn't get that upset at the cancellation of Legends. I think they bit off more than they could chew with RE6 but at least now they figured they have to go back to the drawing board. Dragons Dogma is a great game and... Yeah I don't think theres a game by them that I don't like on some level. That DLC thing was bs though.

I will still buy their products. They had better release MH4 in the west in a timely fashion, though. And an Okami sequel better be in the pipeline too.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I really liked DMC so Capcom are pretty alright in my books, maybe this post belongs in the controversial gaming opinions thread?

Astarte

Did you not see or hear of the current gen 3D game?

You mean dreadlocks Spencer? It was a camp experience, and it was fun. You try multiplayer? You and some other people swing around a giant tower and shoot rockets at each other, it's really intense. Really though, don't take the game too seriously and enjoy it for what it is.
To the guys who want another BC, I'm with you. I feel like had grin been allowed to continue, any bc sequels would have ended up great.

McLovin

You guys need to grow up. On disc dlc is not a problem if that content was always meant to be dlc. Look at Bioshock infinite. They waited until after the game was finished to start the dlc and now its coming out when everyone forgot about the game.

aravuus

It's days like today when I ask myself why I even bother with this hobby anymore. Everything I ever loved about it has been dying for the last decade because of these imbeciles.

I find posts like this a bit funny. It seems like you're forcing yourself to game and on top of that, one company's missteps are enough to rethink your life and interests? When a series you loved goes to shit, look for new games. If you were gaming just because of a few particular games, I wouldn't call your gaming a hobby.
Same goes to every "I will not buy a Capcom game ever again" post. Because part of the company is making shit, you think that potentially good games don't deserve your money because the box reads Capcom? I know most of those posts are written when you're still angry, in shock, just heard the bad news, whatever, but come on.

Capcom has made horrible choices. BoF6 is a fucking joke. I have a horrible feeling about Deep Down. Most Capcom games never interested me but I can clearly see where they've gone wrong. Doesn't change the fact that if Dragon's Dogma 2 ever comes out, I will buy and I will enjoy the hell out of it.

A publisher that large is going to get some things right, some things wrong. Especially these days when DLC is going to be a given with big publishers. Capcom isn't Atlus. It's not reasonable to expect another legit Breath of Fire, it really isn't. This isn't 2002.

They've actually gotten more right than wrong this gen, which was a minefield of rapid changes in console gaming.

Alboreo

I usually can find at least something that I consider redeeming about companies that I dislike, but I'm afraid that BoF6 will be the final slap in the face.

Before that it was trying to make me pay $39.99 for Dark Arisen. Before that it was the announcement of Lost Planet 3. Before that it was MML3. I'm pretty much done defending Capcom.

Marcel

I usually can find at least something that I consider redeeming about companies that I dislike, but I'm afraid that BoF6 will be the final slap in the face.

Before that it was trying to make me pay $39.99 for Dark Arisen. Before that it was the announcement of Lost Planet 3. Before that it was MML3. I'm pretty much done defending Capcom.

VariantX

Don't forget:

MH3 to the Wii, MH4 to the 3DS, RE:R to the 3DS.

MH3 actually did ok despite being on Wii, MH4 will probably do far better because its on the the dominant handheld in the country that overwhelmingly prefers handheld gaming over console gaming at the moment and RE:R got ported to damn near everything except Vita.

khaaan

You take a full generation to make a sequel to a beloved game series and announce Breath of Fire 6 for Smart Phones? It doesn't even look like Breath of Fire.

This was the most recent thread so I didn't even see the thread for that news. Jaw on the floor, not the best start to my morning.

eorl

Banned
Dragon's Dogma re-released on PC with HD textures and Dragon's Dogma 2 also announced for PC. My life would be complete and I would pour money into their wallets.

Alboreo

Dragon's Dogma re-released on PC with HD textures and Dragon's Dogma 2 also announced for PC. My life would be complete and I would pour money into their wallets.

I confess, I would probably forgive them a little bit if they did this. I can't think of many other things that would sway me.

I find posts like this a bit funny. It seems like you're forcing yourself to game and on top of that, one company's missteps are enough to rethink your life and interests? When a series you loved goes to shit, look for new games. If you were gaming just because of a few particular games, I wouldn't call your gaming a hobby.
Same goes to every "I will not buy a Capcom game ever again" post. Because part of the company is making shit, you think that potentially good games don't deserve your money because the box reads Capcom? I know most of those posts are written when you're still angry, in shock, just heard the bad news, whatever, but come on.

Capcom has made horrible choices. BoF6 is a fucking joke. I have a horrible feeling about Deep Down. Most Capcom games never interested me but I can clearly see where they've gone wrong. Doesn't change the fact that if Dragon's Dogma 2 ever comes out, I will buy and I will enjoy the hell out of it.

My point was addressed at the industry as a whole, not just Capcom.

Sadist

But I like Ace Attorney, Street Fighter and Dead Rising.

Don't know how to feel about the RE series though.

domlolz

Banned
I really liked DMC so Capcom are pretty alright in my books, maybe this post belongs in the controversial gaming opinions thread?

not that controversial, you aren't the only one who liked it and i'm a massive fan of the series and still thought it was a worthy installment. most people had made their mind up as soon as they announced dmc was gonna be made by different developers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
But I like Ace Attorney, Street Fighter and Dead Rising.

Don't know how to feel about the RE series though.

Same. RE ORC is crap but RE Revelations is very good imo. I don't like the way they rehash SF4 though, but then again its not the first time they do this to a SF game.

They also provide ample support to the PC and 3DS virtual console titles, so I have no complain. They also brought over MH to the west (albeit with Nintendo's help) unlike MHP3rd HD.

RedSwirl

I'm starting to doubt many of Capcom's classic franchises have a place in today's console market outside extremely niche sales, handheld games, and digital-only games.

KAL2006

Banned
Street fighter 4
Mahvel
Mon Hunt 4 for the US.
Dead rising 1 and 2

they have done good too.

They resurrected fitting games for the mass market and killed them with updates within the same generation. Ono said Capcom hasn't offered budget for a SFV.

Omikaru

No fucks given about Capcom. IP by IP, this company has pissed away every good one it has had. Dead Rising and Ace Attorney are pretty much the last two alive Capcom IP that I still give a crap about.

Well, just Ace Attorney now. I'm reserving my judgement on DR3 until it's out, but I'm not hopeful.

Astarte

not that controversial, you aren't the only one who liked it and i'm a massive fan of the series and still thought it was a worthy installment. most people had made their mind up as soon as they announced dmc was gonna be made by different developers.

It goes deeper than just 'different developers', though. That reveal trailer certainly didn't help.

jimi_dini

This is what the Dragon's Dogma team is doing these days:

yCKpRnS.jpg

This is a duckroll joke.
This is a duckroll joke.

This has to be a duckroll joke.

noooooooooo, Capcpom damn you!!!!!

Evilisk

Capcom must be out to piss off as many of their fanbases as possible this gen.

-Street Fighter X Tekken gems, on disc DLC etc.
-Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 released less than a year after the original (and no more patches)
-No localization of PW: AAI2
-Cancelling MML3 and other Megaman shenanigans
-Asura's Wrath true ending DLC
-Onimusha mobile game
-Resident Evil series no longer being survival horror (not huge I'll admt but I know people that feel strongly about this)
-Outsourcing DMC/DmC to Ninja Theory
-Bionic Commando reboot
-Outsourcing Lost Planet 3 to certain devs, also not advertising the game
-Dead Rising 3 is XB1 exclusive and set to appeal to CoD crowd
-Breath of Fire numbered main game for iOS

I mean seriously, they just do something with Darkstalkers, Ghosts N Goblins and Monster Hunter and they'd have covered pretty much all of their large and long running series.

Lord Phol

Did anything happen today besides the BoF 6 announcement and the Deep Down tech demos that I've missed? Alot of Capcom hate here today :eek:.

I mean they do alot of shitty stuff but I still feel like I'm missing something.

This thread is a circle-shit. It's like a circle-jerk thread but instead of hyping and praising the subject, the participants are all pooping on it.

I haven't liked all of their output either, but for the record, I praise Capcom for greenlighting the following during the current gen:

- Bionic Commando '09 (One of my favorite games, screw the detractors)
- Bionic Commando Rearmed
- Continuing the Ace Attorney series when most other companies wouldn't
- Megaman 9 and 10
- RE Revelations on 3DS
- RE5 (I liked it)
- Ducktales Remastered
- Dead Rising 1 and 2
- SF4
- MVC3
- MVC2 HD Version
- Strider HD

I'm not including quick ports like Chronicles over Mystara because it didn't take that much work but I appreciate that they DID IT.

Yes, there's been a lot of shit, but I can't be too mad at them when I look at the list of what I liked.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I liked Dragons Dogma, love Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter IV. I'm ok with that output.

But I'm not a DmC or Mega Man fan. That would likely color my opinion a bit. But Capcom is cool with me.

Seriously...Capcom used to be one of the best. Now look at them. This is just abysmal.
The way they just literally destroyed all their existing IP with these shitty mobile games is super worrying. There is a part of me that hopes this is just a small way to 'raise awareness' for these franchises again and then hopefully announce new 'proper' games in the future.
Lost Planet 3...I don't even......

Top Bottom