• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft (Aaron Greenberg) confirms they're in talks with Sony about crossplay

Or, perhaps, at some point, Sony has an interest in making the best products for their customers. Cross play makes your product better.

NeoGaf is full of vitriol when a corporation does something they don't like to consumers, until that corporation is their fanboy favorite videogame company, and then "it's just smart business, what do you expect?"

if others wish to form their arguments based on that then that's their prerogative. I'm just going based on what makes sense.

Market leaders will not wish to make concessions that could potentially hurt their stranglehold on the market, meanwhile others are willing to try new things, for example like when Sony tried cross play last gen with Steam and Portal.

You always try to make things better when you're in a position that requires you to do so.

As for the switching sides of the fence on arguing, I've seen that for the decade I've been on gaming forums. I personally don't have a dog in the race, I do 95% of my gaming on my phone, playing FF Brave Exvius.

Why do so many people act like arm chair analysts and not gamers in these threads? Why do you care about what what platform holder this is good for and who makes more money? We know why Sony doesn't need to doo it without having it being brought up Everytime as if it's some kind of justification.

Crossplay is a good thing for gamers and with the ability to lock yourself in to only your platform which is an option in the games that already have it there is no downside. I'm a PC gamer so I don't have a horse in the Xbox vs PlayStation in fact crossplay play actually negatively affect PC because we have to wait for console certification before we get our patches. It's worth it though.

These threads are frustrating to go through. Some of you care more about a companies bottom line than the actual experience of gamers and the great things crossplay can do for gaming in general.

Usually when companies gain from a business deal that money earned can be invested in other features for the brand that the user wants. This deal doesn't give us that. As a consumer if the feature doesn't interest the least you can expect is the companies gains something from it. Whats the point of people wanting to point out that it benefits them if it doesn't benefit me in either way. Im not saying that it isn't a good feature. I just don't see the benefit for me as a consumer or for Sony as a business gain.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Usually when companies gain from a business deal that money earned can be invested in other features for the brand that the user wants. This deal doesn't give us that. As a consumer if the feature doesn't interest the least you can expect is the companies gains something from it. Whats the point of people wanting to point out that it benefits them if it doesn't benefit me in either way. Im not saying that it isn't a good feature. I just don't see the benefit for me as a consumer or for Sony as a business gain.

Bigger online communities in games means more sales game and dlc which Sony gets a cut of. It is not just ms it is many developers now asking for permission to add this feature. Making those who make games for their console happy is also a gain. Everyone wins including Sony they all make more money.

Like he said this week "People buy Xbox because we have the biggest exclusives"???

emoji-thinking-a2d27b7f9da39dba809b9d52ebd22e7e5be51dc8efc7322a480bbbfca78245ac.png
I'm struggling to see what this has to do with the topic.

It won't hurt you and would be something big for a lot of people. People on PlayStation who own Minecraft for one. All Rocket League players who will have a wider pool of people to matchmake with in order to for them to be matched faster and more equally. Niche games with smaller online communities. Just because it's not something that affects you now doesn't mean it never will.

Trogdor1123

? What can make you think this in relation to.. crossplay.
Oh, I know it seems silly. But given how ms seems to be phoning it in lately (other than the new Xbox) its almost like it's an excuse to stop and focusing pc as their existing users are being propped up by someone else. I'm aware its, at it's very very best, a stretch and really doesn't make too much sense.

Gowans

Wow, I normally read comments, shake my head and move to another thread but I can see years of not calling out comments I don't agree with only makes them worse.

Why on earth would anyone be against cross play and cross but of all your content across all platforms on Minecraft, it's that or get left behind in your own walled garden.

My kids love micrcraft, it would be great for them to share experiences and stories with all their friends at school not just some and better to move between platforms carrying across your purchase and connections.

Some of the posts in this thread are people taking sides over being gamers, I don't think it's good for anyone.

Digital0Reality

Neo Member
None of this is true but keeps being blurted out by people who refuse to educate themselves on the matter. Do you need XBL login for Rocket League? Gwent? Ark? Pure Chess even? DQX with Switch?

This is absolutely the case for Minecraft as I stated. Microsoft owns Minecraft and therefore they would need to have their own backend implementation for cross play. It would make zero sense not to use xbox live in this situation. I can't believe people refuse to educate themselves on this.

Or, perhaps, at some point, Sony has an interest in making the best products for their customers. Cross play makes your product better.

NeoGaf is full of vitriol when a corporation does something they don't like to consumers, until that corporation is their fanboy favorite videogame company, and then "it's just smart business, what do you expect?"
It would be different if it was a feature people were promised or actually cared about. Unfortunately, I don't think most of Sony's userbase actually cares about cross play. I don't think anyone will really care much until a universal chat and friends list is figured out either. I think/hope it will be a different story next gen but as of now, it's probably much more of a hassle to Sony than it's worth (especially considering their position at the top this gen)

I haven't seen many actually oppose share play, it's usually a bunch of us looking at it from a different perspective and realizing it's probably not going to happen. Like mentioned earlier, I think it's going to take someone like Activision or rockstar to put enough pressure on Sony

sheamus

i can see why Sony is not willing to cross play with with their direct competitor
but i do think that the PC market should be neutral ground for both side.

and maybe Microsoft can unite gamers by adding their games to steam

Should happen for stuff like Rocket League, and even stuff like CoD with PS4/XB1 combined. Trying to play CoD4 Remastered right now on PS4 and the playlists outside of TDM, S&D and Dom are all <5%.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony needs to get more flack for this.

They would if their userbase actually cared about it. Generally speaking most people don't even know what crossplay is, so for them it generally is meaningless. That goes double considering the fact that its never been a feature consoles have had before. People tend to go crazy over things taken away more than things not implemented, unless they are really important

watdaeff4

As a father of twin 7yo who are getting into gaming, I'm grateful Sony is looking out for them and protecting them.

Thank you Sony.

thelastword

Banned
Come on Sony.... please...
Make a pro consumer decision for once.
Ha, so MS is all about prosumer activity when they tend to benefit much more than Sony ever will, at least this generation...If MS is so adamant, why don't they go strike a deal with Nintendo, a console with a lower installbase to prop their online audience, or XBOX+PC which should be even better, as they're already part of that ecosystem and it will be easy for them to implement and lead the charge there......MS is only interested in crossplay because they stand to benefit the most, in essence, they're only looking after their own interests here.....

Aaron Greenberg is here yet again talking about talks with Sony, where are the receipts Aaron? Sony has already stated where they stand on this, what exactly is he saying now? I think Aaron is just trying to fan the flames and getting some free PR from yesterday's article tbh.......

In any case, since MS is so prosumer these days ;)...it reminds me that two of the biggest pro-sumer efforts I've seen this gen are "Shareplay" over the internet and this gem from 2013....quite interesting isn't it?

.If MS is so adamant, why don't they go strike a deal with Nintendo, a console with a lower installbase to prop their online audience, or XBOX+PC which should be even better,

Strike a deal? You mean say yes when a developer asks them to support crossplatform? Because it's already happened with rocket league and Minecraft among others.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
In talks, like how I'm "in talks" with my ex, where she only talks to my voicemail.

I am Sony.

JoeLT

Why would Sony ever agree to this? It's dumb to do so.

Friend wants to play with other friends on Minecraft. He has a choice. Get a PS4.

Open up crossplay and what does Sony gain? That same person buys an XBox instead of a PS4?

Sony isn't in the business of making XBox gamers happy. That's Microsofts job.

Why anyone thinks Sony should be in the business of helping XBox One get sales rather than a PS4 for online play with friends is beyond me.
Except the chances are it's the other way. PS4 players can play with PS4 players, whereas Windows 10, iOS, TV OS, Android, Xbox One and Switch owners are all playing together. PS4 doesn't have the lead in this position, in the situation someone is buying Minecraft to play with friends, chances are the PS4 version is out of the question.

The publisher has already changed to Mojang AB. Check the PlayStation Store pages lol
It's just the retail editions that are still published/distributed by Sony and Nintendo on PS4 and Switch as Microsoft is not a publisher on those systems.

Prettyy sure Nintendo never published the game anywhere. Mojang does on Wii U in NA and EU (the latter is debatable since PEGI claims it's MS) while MS themselves, amazingly enough, did so in Japan.

Switch is still in question. In the Japanese digital number reports, folks who transcribe them credit MS as the publisher like on Wii U, yet I had someone tell me it was Mojang credited on the Switch eShop?

I think that former data comes from Famitsu issues. Question to those with those issues; is it indeed Microsoft credited as the publisher in those lists or is it Mojang?

We'll see when the retail version comes around.

I like Sony, but their stance on crossplay is really shitty.

They have no choice.

Look at it this way, we currently have:

* pc, no pay for online and never going to be paid online.
* xbox, pay for online
* sony, pay for online

Microsoft are moving to a world where you can get the same experience on pc... for free. This is not sustainable, something has to give.

Now if MS do go free this sucks competitively for Sony because they need that money. However just like the 360/ps3 era they could get by from "your friends are all on ps4 already so what can you do?". Having crossplay completely breaks this for them and this would essentially leave a large chunk of their business in Microsoft's control.

Is all this good for consumers? No, but Sony's stance is completely understandable until they get an assurance that MS will not fuck them over. I don't see how any such assurance is possible.

JoeLT

They have no choice.

Look at it this way, we currently have:

* pc, no pay for online and never going to be paid online.
* xbox, pay for online
* sony, pay for online

Microsoft are moving to a world where you can get the same experience on pc... for free. This is not sustainable, something has to give.

Now if MS do go free this sucks competitively for Sony because they need that money. However just like the 360/ps3 era they could get by from "your friends are all on ps4 already so what can you do?". Having crossplay completely breaks this for them and this would essentially leave a large chunk of their business in Microsoft's control.

Is all this good for consumers? No, but Sony's stance is completely understandable until they get an assurance that MS will not fuck them over. I don't see how any such assurance is possible.
Yep, the more and more Microsoft pushes for cross play and Xbox Play Anywhere the closer we are to the paywall for online coming down. Especially when PC Xbox Live users get the exact same features for free.

YaBish

I could see this happening at the end of the generation, when it will no longer matter. Then we'll do the same song and dance over again when the PS5 comes out just like with bc.

I would personally love this feature, as I have more friends that play on Xbox, but I like the Sony exclusives way more.

I can't imagine what would happen if Xbox pulled ahead again at some point in the future.

Budi

Ha, so MS is all about prosumer activity when they tend to benefit much more than Sony ever will, at least this generation...If MS is so adamant, why don't they go strike a deal with Nintendo, a console with a lower installbase to prop their online audience, or XBOX+PC which should be even better, as they're already part of that ecosystem and it will be easy for them to implement and lead the charge there......MS is only interested in crossplay because they stand to benefit the most, in essence, they're only looking after their own interests here.....

In any case, since MS is so prosumer these days ;)...it reminds me that two of the biggest pro-sumer efforts I've seen this gen are "Shareplay" over the internet and this gem from 2013....quite interesting isn't it?
Huh, not sure what you mean with the bolded. But they do have crossplay with PC and Nintendo, you didn't know this or I misunderstood what you were saying? And can't people share their physical games on Xbox? One of the biggest pro-consumer efforts is Microsoft bringing their exclusives to PC, some even to Steam and having the "Play Anywhere" feature.

Edit: Been reading a bit about shareplay and few things are still unclear to me. Doesn't the person you share the game with get their own saves? It's worded like they would be playing exactly your game. And do I really need to be there every time to enable it and the person can't play whenever they want? And what's the point with limiting it to 60 minutes sessions, that's seriously dumb.

Edit 2: Yeah seems like the saves are for the host's PS4 only. That's not good.

Top Bottom