• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is The Evil Within 2 hype @ Gamescom?

J 0 E

TEW2_July_01_legal.png

The game will launch in less than 2 months and I can't find a single major website covering it!! Even Biomutant is having a better presence @ Gamescom!!

It's been 3 months since the game's reveal and we didn't see any raw gameplay footage and Gamescom is it's last chance of hype before release.

Personally I'm glad, I don't want a game like this to be spoiled. Maybe the publisher agrees and it's intentional?

I don't care if they show the same trailer over and over again. I just wish they would be doing more to sell the game. That being said, the first game didn't have the best marketing either. I'm happy to get the sequel at all.

Bethesda marketing with this game have been awful. Wolfenstein 2 is getting all the attention: previews, more trailers, special real live trailers, etc..

They're basically sending this game to die.

Bethesda marketing with this game have been awful. Wolfenstein 2 is getting all the attention: previews, more trailers, special real live trailers, etc..

Yeah. Wolf 2 will be great, no doubt, but, you're right. Wolf 2 is getting all of the attention and they're basically hoping for a lot of great word of mouth on TEW2.

Razilez

Metro did a preview of the game at Gamescom and their preview is very mixed.

it becomes clear the game world is much larger than before. This allows you much more freedom in where you go and how you approach each problem. Do you investigate the corpses of the rest of the security team, or some tempting looking creates? Or do you avoid them because they all look like obvious traps?

Despite the lack of bugs the game is still very far from a technical masterpiece. It’s clearly quite low budget and barely looks current gen most of the time, with the most impressive visuals – an impossibly twisted landscape reminiscent of the Milkman level from Psychonauts – being a result of the art design rather than the tech.

In other words, The Evil Within 2 looks like it’ll be the same old mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. Only more of the good and hopefully a little less of the other two qualities. Our biggest concern is that none of what we played seemed particularly scary, and while a noisy trade show isn’t the best place to judge that we have been scared by games at E3 and Gamecom before. But at the moment The Evil Within 2 just isn’t generating that much of an emotional response.

Kill3r7

Keep in mind that Wolf 2 has an awful release date. So it needs all the extra marketing to make sure it is not lost in the shuffle. TEW2 does not have much in the way of competition when it comes to the horror genre.

Keep in mind that Wolf 2 has an awful release date. So it needs all the extra marketing to make sure it is not lost in the shuffle. TEW2 does not have much in the way of competition when it comes to the horror genre.

No, but that month is fucking stacked for games. It's the GOAT gaming month for 2017.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I mean the real answer is that when a gams company comes out with the underwhelming debut game, by the time the sequel comes out it will have soured potential buyers.
See titanfall, watchdogs, mirrors edge etc.

Jawmuncher

"The Evil Within 2 looks like it'll be the same old mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly"

original.gif

Fuck. That is the one thing I didn't want to hear about this. I'll still give it a chance but I swear if this ends up being as depressingly bad as TEW1 which was because of how much it was just mixed ideas all over the place, i'm giving up on Mikami/Tango until they makes a Dinosaur game.

It's a sequel to a pretty lackluster game imo. Especially storywise. People don't have anything to grasp onto because the protagonist isn't much of a character and the story of the first one was super vague with not enough pieces to put the puzzle together. They don't really have much of a hook to sell this game on other than gameplay which seems pretty standard. Wolfenstein at least has a tangible and well executed alternate history world and gameplay looks solid. It looks like a cohesive package. TEW and this one continues to look like a hodgepodge of edgy Hellraiser art with no clear direction.

Sadist

The only talk I see about this game is multiple threads on GAF about the original and the sequel; thats about it. Guess Bethesda doesn't feel to confident. The release of the original was low key as well.

It's a sequel to a pretty lackluster game imo. Especially storywise. People don't have anything to grasp onto because the protagonist isn't much of a character and the story of the first one was super vague with not enough pieces to put the puzzle together.

Just because you didn't find all of the pieces doesn't mean they weren't in there.

Linkura

Jesus. Really not down for a retread of the first game. Really hope that's not quite the case. Definitely going to wait for reviews and Gaffer impressions before touching this.

Reading the part that talks about how "it's clearly quite low budget" is really sad. Smfh Bethesda.

-MD-

Maybe we were just lucky, but we didn't have any of our enemies come back to life because we hadn't set them on fire. That was a key part of the original, and we wonder now if it's just been limited to the super hard Nightmare mode. Although considering how few bullets the game gives you it was a relief not to have to deal with that problem as well.

This was not a feature of the original game lol.

Resonance

Seems like reception will be mixed again, like the first one. Although, I'm not sure that it will affect my intent on purchasing it, considering that I enjoyed the first game. Hopefully we get more gameplay footage soon

Gator86

"The Evil Within 2 looks like it’ll be the same old mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly"

original.gif

Fuck. That is the one thing I didn't want to hear about this. I'll still give it a chance but I swear if this ends up being as depressingly bad as TEW1 which was because of how much it was just mixed ideas all over the place, i'm giving up on Mikami/Tango until they makes a Dinosaur game.

It'll be a fun, yet occasionally frustrating rental that doesn't live up to it's potential - just like TEW1.

I'm excited to play through it.

Mifec

I'm really disappointed we didn't get the chapter 2 walk-through that Metro saw. We got the mansion for TEW1 and it was hype as fuck.
Personally I'm glad, I don't want a game like this to be spoiled. Maybe the publisher agrees and it's intentional?

Due to spoilers.

Am glad it's quiet.

You don't need to watch the trailers. People like myself who want to see gameplay before the game is out don't need to miss out because some people can't contain themselves.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's not really surprising given the first's lukewarm reception. I was actually really surprised they even announced part 2.

Even as a hardcore Mikami fan I had huge issues with the first and it was one of my biggest disappointments ever. The whole design of the game just felt.... weird. Even during my replay I could not shake the feeling that they first designed all the levels and then cookie-clustered them together with this ridiculous STEM story.

I mean, I'll still get TEW2 day one and all to show Mikami my support (this man has given me not one but multiple of my all time favorites) but I sure hope that part 2 has a more clear direction than the first. Well, they said they're putting more emphasis in the story, so.... yeah... I hope they do.

It's not really surprising given the first's lukewarm reception. I was actually really surprised they even announced part 2.

Even as a hardcore Mikami fan I had huge issues with the first and it was one of my biggest disappointments ever. The whole design of the game just felt.... weird. Even during my replay I could not shake the feeling that they first designed all the levels and then cookie-clustered them together with this ridiculous STEM story.

I mean, I'll still get TEW2 day one and all to show Mikami my support (this man has given me not one but multiple of my all time favorites) but I sure hope that part 2 has a more clear direction than the first. Well, they said they're putting more emphasis in the story, so.... yeah... I hope they do.

The game sold fairly well

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This game does not exist for me till summer / winter sale next year - too much freakin' games nowadays each month + i basically have free time only on weekends to actually play games and not worrying that i need to go to work tomorrow.

I mean the real answer is that when a gams company comes out with the underwhelming debut game, by the time the sequel comes out it will have soured potential buyers.
See titanfall, watchdogs, mirrors edge etc.

Titanfall and Mirrors Edge were underwhelming? Titanfall got pretty great reviews, all said. Mirrors Edge was a cult hit.

I think Watchdogs, Evil Within and Shadow of Mordor benefited from launching early in the generation. The sequels could have done quite well for themselves... by releasing in quieter months! I can see this hurting Evil Within 2 and Shadow of War, but I guess we'll find out in a few months.

Top Bottom