• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who set their alarm clock one hour before actually waking up.

TheContact

My wife does this and every fucking morning I ask her to shut it off so we can both sleep longer and she just hits the snooze button and when it goes back off I have to ask her to turn it off again

V-Faction

Like most people:

- It takes me a certain time to wake up
- Then a certain time to GET up
- It takes me a certain time to get ready (shower, etc.)
- And a certain time after that to settle
- Finally, travel time and getting to my destination early

Going straight from WAKE UP->GET RDY->LEAVE is a good way to make someone (or at least me) sick. The precluding method invokes grogginess, headaches, a warped sense of reality that not even the toughest slap will puncture. I need the beauty sleep.

So I do set the alarm 2 hours before where I need to be, so that I can adjust slowly. You will lucid dream like crazy by the way. Whole lifetimes in the span of literally 5-10 minutes. Until recently, the snooze function was never a thing I used, instead I opting to simply look at my phone every couple of minutes. I had to change to a snooze because the dreams would sometimes prevent my natural awakening process from going off.

jm89

This is such a bad idea first time you wake up it won't be that bad, and then you go back to sleep in an hour and your back into deep sleep which is a bitch to wake up from.

Greedings

You are all crazy. The alarm goes off, I get out of bed and have to piss immediately anyway. I couldn't hold onto that piss for another 5 minutes, let alone an hour of rolling around in bed thinking about how desperately I need to release my urine.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I set my wife's alarm as a tone I couldn't hear but she could.

This worked well for us. Now I prefer just sleeping separately though because I'm a light sleeper.

Camwi

I never use the snooze button. It's silly. Just train yourself to bolt upwards when you hear your alarm and start walking. It's not like you're going to pass out on the way to the bathroom.

KHlover

Banned
I'm glad waking up is a sub 1min process for me. I've stood up and crossed the room to punch my alarm clock before it even got to full volume and by the time I've left the bedroom and entered the kitchen I'm basically fully awake. I do have a second alarm set on my phone, but I've literally never needed it so far.

If I needed an hour to wake up I'd have to set the first alarm at 4am, that would be quite bad.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I set my first alarm about 2:15hrs before I needs to wake up, and then set my second alarm at around an hr before wake up time, and then finally my last alarm and I'm up. I do it not because I can't get up (I can), I just enjoy the feeling of falling back to sleep.

Voidwolf

I've been setting my alarm a little bit early enough to snooze it 2 times every morning, sometimes 3. This week I decided to set it to 7:00, the point I cannot sleep passed or definitely will be late and it has been horrible having to get up in one go.

Chinbo37

You are all crazy. The alarm goes off, I get out of bed and have to piss immediately anyway. I couldn't hold onto that piss for another 5 minutes, let alone an hour of rolling around in bed thinking about how desperately I need to release my urine.

Get up, pee, go back to bed. Works like a charm.

Getting up is really hard for some people. I can snooze an alarm 3 or 4 times before realizing it. My GF would snooze an alarm for 4 hours if I let her.

Minimaul

It's not about having (or not) having discipline. My brain and body are so heavy with sleep that I have no idea what is going on when the alarm goes off. Most of the time I don't even remember hitting the snooze button. It takes awhile for my consciousness to dig itself back out of wherever it just was.

My girlfriend used to believe that snoozers didn't really exist, or that they were just lazy. After living with me for awhile, and seeing how out of it I am, and how hard it is for me to wake up, she understands why I do it.

Tigress

If waking up is a process rather than instant for you, you want to set aside time for it.

I had a roommate in college who was like this and I would usually wake up when my alarm went off. I usually would leave mine on for 20 minutes to fully wake up (it was music) and she complained so I'd push headsets in it soon as it went off. But I had to endure her 2 hours of the blaring type alarm going off every 10 minutes. It kind of pissed me off that I found a way to keep my alarm from waking her up but she couldn't do the same for me. As well as obviously if she stopped hitting the sleep button she'd wake up cause she had a problem with my alarm waking her up. And it was annoying even if I was awake (a loud honk honk noise constantly going off is just obnoxious).

My husband also is this way but he's gotten better over the years.

Doc_Drop

This is such a bad idea first time you wake up it won't be that bad, and then you go back to sleep in an hour and your back into deep sleep which is a bitch to wake up from.
It doesn't happen if you are doing smaller intervals.

For me it's essentially either a small map if I need it or time to do whatever I want. I don't want to have to rush through a morning routine

Saganator

I used to be one of those people. It was a combination of a few things which led to it.

Started with not going to bed at a time to allow for sufficient sleep. I used to start work at 5AM, but I'd go to bed at like 12. This lead to me sleeping through alarms and being late to work, which led me to setting multiple alarms, starting an hour before time to wake up.

I finally stopped being a dumbass, started going to bed earlier which meant I woke up as soon as my alarm went off. I'm at the point now where I wake up on time even without an alarm. A couple times I've forgot to go to bed with my phone near by, so I don't have an alarm, but I always end up waking up 5 minutes or so after I would've if I had an alarm.

Garibaldi

I sometimes have trouble shutting off at night so don't get to sleep the moment my head hits the pillow. Always set my alarm a half hour before I need to get up. Hit snooze three times (the alarm profile won't allow anymore). Up and get a shower to properly wake up. Done that for years or I'm knackered for hours.

I set seven alarms. one for every hour before I have to wake up.

I've been wearing a crappy Casio watch for ages and it just started beeping twice every hour. I've hit the 3 buttons in every possible order and combination but I just can't figure it out. Me and my cat wake up for like 2 seconds every hour on the hour.

RedZaraki

Banned
I need to be at work at 8am.

I need to leave my place at 7:25 am.

I shower at night, not in the morning.

So I set my alarm for 7a.m. with a backup snooze alarm at 7:10 a.m.

Works for me.

Yes I can get ready in 15 minutes.

Doc_Drop

I've been wearing a crappy Casio watch for ages and it just started beeping twice every hour. I've hit the 3 buttons in every possible order and combination but I just can't figure it out. Me and my cat wake up for like 2 seconds every hour on the hour.
I mean, have you tried looking it up or just taking the battery out and doing a reset?

hydruxo

I used to do this. For me, it was because if I had to get up at say 6:30 to go to work, if I set my alarm for 5:30 and woke up then it was kind of relaxing to know I had another hour to sleep. That might be weird but idk, it always put me at ease rather than just waking up when my alarm said I had to everytime.

Skyr

I am one of these terrible people sry.

I set like 10 alarms on my ipad/phone and sometimes I snooze through every single one of them until I finally get out of bed.
Sometimes I even sleep on through the alarm while it's blasting at full volume. I live alone but I sleep with open windows so the neighbours prolly hate me.

What the deal with them ? Why do something like that. It's like infliging to oneself the painful process of waking up and sleeping up every 5 minutes.

ENLIGHT ME

edit: also, provide solutions for living an healthy life around such monsters.
I set my alarm for 7 and get up at 740.

If I dont I will 100% be late for work. I can sleep through anything.

Don't we stop producing melatonin after waking up but the effects are still active cause of the remaining ones? Waking up earlier kinda makes some sense. It allows the body to wake up while feeling that awesome sensation of being sleepy until it wears off.

I can't do it though.

Mossybrew

Getting up is really hard for some people.

Judging by this thread, I guess so, which seems strange to me. Are these people going to bed at a reasonable time?

Non-snoozer myself. Alarm goes off, I'm up and out of bed. No desire to fall halfway asleep then do it all over again.

Maximo

Judging by this thread, I guess so, which seems strange to me. Are these people going to bed at a reasonable time?

Non-snoozer myself. Alarm goes off, I'm up and out of bed. No desire to fall halfway asleep then do it all over again.

Probably staring at GAF on a phone until the second they have to go to sleep.

Falchion

You've just got to train your body to immediately wake up when the alarm goes off by not letting yourself snooze. Once you do it for a while, it becomes second nature and you'll be alert much faster.

I'm an extremely heavy sleeper. Not only do I set the alarm for before I need to get up, but I moved it across the room so I have to get up, walk over, hit snooze, and then go back to sleep for 10 more minutes. I also have both my alarm and phone in sync to go off at the same time. I've done this because several times I have gotten up, turned off the alarm, and then gone back to bed and not remembered a thing. The multiple snoozes over time is a far more reliable method of waking me up than a single alarm, since I can essentially sleepwalk to turn it off.

My wife gets up and leaves before my stuff goes off so there's nobody there for it to annoy. Except the dog, maybe.

Magwik

Banned
Alarm at 11:30
Get up take piss
Stay up or go back to bed and wait for alarm at 1.
Stay up or go back to bed and wait for alarm at 3.

It's a vicious cycle for me.

Omadahl

Banned
My wife does this. She has an alarm set every 10 minutes for nearly an hour. I sleep through it most of the time but if I don't, I consider throwing her phone out of the window.

Top Bottom