• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
NBC picks up Norman Lear's passion project, "Guess Who Died".
Based on Lear's personal experiences and in partnership with Tolan, Guess Who Died is described as a humorous and inspiring look at the shared joys and challenges we all experience at any stage of life.

Lear and Tolan executive produce via their production companies, Act III Productions and The Cloudland Company, respectively, alongside Lear's associate Brent Miller.

Lear, who recently celebrated his 95th birthday, originally wrote Guess Who Died, set at a retirement village, about seven years ago and had been trying to get it made ever since. In a 2016 NYT documentary, which featured Lear as he was casting the project, he calls it ”a show about the elderly that nobody wants." A reading of his script was held at the 2016 at the Austin Film Festival.

”The right people read it, the right people thought it's funny, but the right people said it's not our demographic," Lear says in the documentary, lamenting TV networks' obsession with younger demos. ”I wrote it because we are so underrepresented."

TV's really coming back with shows that star more old people: "Grace & Frankie", that Michael Douglas Netflix comedy, this, "Great News".

First teaser for AHS: Cult.

Executive producer of "Kevin Can Wait": We killed off Erinn Hayes' character out of respect for her.
”The goal was to give Kevin's character a real drive and a real predicament [involving] how a family comes back together [after tragedy]," Long says. ”Also, out of respect for the character of Donna — and certainly the way that Erinn Hayes portrayed her — it seemed like the only right and fair way to treat her character."

Asked whether they ever considered reshaping the series in Season 2 to focus solely on Kevin's professional life (and thus letting Donna live, albeit off camera), Long says that simply was not in the cards. The ”nucleus of the idea," he shares, was ”Kevin being a single father... [We] were really attracted" to watching Kevin ”learn how to do all of the stuff" that comes with being a single parent to three kids — four if you count Kendra's fiancé Chale.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It will probably be even bigger, although I think they should have released in the middle of October rather than on Halloween. I think reading an interview of theirs said they will only only have a few seasons, possibly only three or four.

In a new interview with Vulture, the brothers Matt and Ross Duffer teased a second season of Stranger Things in which they “wanted to push things a bit,” because, like any good movie sequel, “No. 2 is always a little bit bigger.” In the process, they also confirmed that season three of the show is officially a go, and that they plan to do one more after it. “We’re thinking it will be a four-season thing and then out,” says Ross.

Source

Solo

That's awesome and perfect. Respect to he Duffers for having integrity and not running it into the ground. 32-36 episodes of Stranger Things sounds just about right.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So ... four people watched it?

I am so curious to know how many people watch their originals. If HBO has 30+ million subscribers in the US, yet only 1.3 million watch Insecure live (for instance), then how many are watching Get Shorty or Berlin Station out of Epix's 10+ million base?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My final Mary Tyler Moore update. lol

It was a funny way to just end the series - there was a dream "what if we all married Mary" episode, a clip episode, a "why our two leads will never get together episode" (which I feel like would be considered an attack on shippers if it was produced in 2017), and then of course everyone getting fired at the very end.

As a whole, I can see why it's seen as a canon series. It doesn't posit any kind of feminist message, and there's still some casual gay panic homophobia, but by showing a single working woman who casually dates dozens of men, it probably did more than enough at the time.

Rhoda and Phyllis show up in the finale as well, which was a nice reminder of where the series started and how it slowly evolved into a workplace sitcom from an odd couple (triple) sitcom.

berzeli

Banned
Hey, they are a multiplex linear television channel, too.
'twas more of an analogy.

It is a bit interesting how Epix used to be 50% Viacom, 31% Lionsgate and 19% MGM. And now we have:
Viacom doing Viacom things, rebranding Spike to the Paramount Channel positioning it as their "premium TV" brand and outlet for the TV division of Paramount Pictures.
Lionsgate owning Starz and having it as their outlet, including dumping the Divergent franchise on it.
And finally MGM owning Epix and trying to make it a thing.
I am so curious to know how many people watch their originals. If HBO has 30+ million subscribers in the US, yet only 1.3 million watch Insecure live (for instance), then how many are watching Get Shorty or Berlin Station out of Epix's 10+ million base?
I think they're not releasing numbers for a reason.

At least they seem to have some international sales, almost all of their output is on/heading to HBO Nordic.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yes! So happy Last Chance U is continuing. Already knew the director wanted to move on from the school and since the story has been told there really wasn't anything left to see there anyways. Looking forward to it. New school sounds like an interesting setting too, rather than the ”we pick up all the best players nobody wants" we got before.

Room 104 getting that "everything on HBO gets a second season for budgeting reasons" renewal. I hope it doesn't get a third. It's bad, bad, bad television.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Transparent renewed for a 5th season.

Room 104 getting that "everything on HBO gets a second season for budgeting reasons" renewal. I hope it doesn't get a third. It's bad, bad, bad television.

The ratings are pretty decent and it costs literally dimes to produce, so I wouldn't be surprised if HBO kept it around for a while.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I dropped Room 104 like a bad habit. The first 3 episodes were more than enough for me. But good for the team getting another season.

Well BoyBand was good show, could have had better choices for the boys to sing as sometimes it felt they were given songs that didnt really go well with some of them. But otherwise I hope we get more, loved it. My favorite was like the 2nd voted off. Oh well. Im glad Brady made it.

Group name could be better...
DICWELsXsAAX3lK.jpg:large

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
On a scale of bad ranging from Dexter to Weeds Post Season 3...how bad?
Transparent renewed for a 5th season.

The ratings are pretty decent and it costs literally dimes to produce, so I wouldn't be surprised if HBO kept it around for a while.

I still need to watch Transparent Seasons 2-3...I guess I just didn't see a reason to keep watching? Does it get better than Season 1?

I liked the concept of Room 104, and was going to give it a shot. I am guessing even if it is bad, it is not like they can't salvage it. In fact they should be having different writers/directors for every episode. Get a little creative on us!

Is there going to be anything of quality on this fall? I am having Americans/Better Caul Saul withdrawal.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Hold on now, I just want to throw in here that Weeds 8 was an acceptable post season 3 season of the show.

Honestly...I liked Weeds Seasons 4-6 (never finished 7 or the series lol!). I was just going off the general consensus.

dLMN8R

Weeds had an awesome final season, and it was incredible prescient too considering the immediately following years across Colorado and Washington!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
On a scale of bad ranging from Dexter to Weeds Post Season 3...how bad?

It's not aggressively bad - the first 3 episodes are just mediocre and not really worth watching. Episode 4 is actually pretty good though and the ballet episode is supposed to be one of the best episodes of TV this year.

I still need to watch Transparent Seasons 2-3...I guess I just didn't see a reason to keep watching? Does it get better than Season 1?

If you didn't like the first season then it just may not be for you.

Is there going to be anything of quality on this fall? I am having Americans/Better Caul Saul withdrawal.

I'm working on the fall TV thread as we speak!

Zero315

Banned
Well BoyBand was good show, could have had better choices for the boys to sing as sometimes it felt they were given songs that didnt really go well with some of them. But otherwise I hope we get more, loved it. My favorite was like the 2nd voted off. Oh well. Im glad Brady made it.

Group name could be better...

I caught some of the finale and thought... meh. They all look pretty generic, lol. America needs to step up it's game though, call me when we do something like Produce 101.

It got me thinking though. Who was the last artist to make it big off of one of these shows? The last one I can think of is Melanie Martinez, and she isn't even that big.

It's also a good way to get relationships with young talented filmmakers and actors. The Duplass brothers have been really smart in how they set it up, creating a lot of value for HBO for a very low price.

vypek

Honestly...I liked Weeds Seasons 4-6 (never finished 7 or the series lol!). I was just going off the general consensus.

Lol go finish the series! I think the final season was actually pretty well done and the ending to the series wasn't bad in my opinion. I think I align with the consensus on seasons 4-7 because I didn't enjoy the story line changes and loss of characters from the first 3. But if you like 4-6 then I think you should at the very least enjoy season 7 too and I don't think the finale season will hurt unless you didn't care for 1-3 as much

I caught some of the finale and thought... meh. They all look pretty generic, lol. America needs to step up it's game though, call me when we do something like Produce 101.

It got me thinking though. Who was the last artist to make it big off of one of these shows? The last one I can think of is Melanie Martinez, and she isn't even that big.
I wonder, it was the first of these type of shows Ive watched in awhile. Will probably watch the upcoming American Idol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this scene in American Gods in
the bathroom with one armed Laura talking to Audrey while in the crapper
might just be one of my favorite scenes in anything ever.

Im definately going to sub to Amazon when season 2 rolls around.

edit: also this is totally the lady from Glow, I knew I recognised her. Shes fantastic.

TheOddOne

- THR: Robert Downey Jr.'s 'Perry Mason' HBO Remake Taps New Writers.
Writers Rolin Jones and Ron Fitzgerald have signed on to pen the Robert Downey Jr. drama currently in development, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The duo are stepping in for True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto, who was originally attached to write when news first broke about the project a year ago. However, Pizzolatto has since become pre-occupied with the third season of True Detective.

kurahador

The Mist any good? I loved the movie.

NOPE. It's Under The Dome Part Deux. The characters are stupid and insufferable, the effect looks cheap as hell, ends on a cliffhanger and worst of all the mist itself works differently than the movie --- instead of
featuring some weird ass monsters, it only manifest your fears which then kills you

berzeli

Banned
Admittedly I've only watched bits and pieces but I thought Zoo was Under the Dome part deux?
People actually like Zoo, case in point:
eUpWXbp.png

Apparently it's so over the top trash it swings around to being amazing.
Also thanks for reminding me that I should watch Zoo. It might be the most ridiculous show on TV but dammit I need that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom