• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't bring myself to watch The Force Awakens more than a couple of times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I am a massive SW fan. I have watched 4,5,6 almost 50+ times each. I have even seen phantom menace more than 10 times and revenge of the sith quite a few times. Hated AoTC and don't bother with it. I didn't hate EP 7 as much as EP 2. I thought it was on par with the prequels slightly better a 7/10 movie. But nothing in EP 7 draws me in like 4,5,6 or heck even 1 & 3. The music to me felt weak, the story was kind of flat and I didn't find the new cast very interesting. Atleast not as much as Luke, Leia, Han or even some prequel characters like Qui Gon, Obi-Wan and Sam Jackson. Anyone feel the same way? I mean don't have the urge to watch EP7 like 4,5,6 and maybe even the prequels.

I felt as much people hate GL for the prequels he still knows SW and creates some amazing new creatures and planet. This movie lets see bootlegg tattooine? check, bootlegg Alderaan? check, bootlegg Coruscant? check, bootlegg Hoth? check...Only interesting location was on the final scene. I feel like force awakens follows the most production line blueprint ever for a movie. Everything felt "corporate" and no creativity. Just a safe movie that is atleast enjoyable once or twice. That you can use to get good press and then forgotten. No love was put behind them. Nothing in the leagues of previous SW pictures or LoTR pictures etc.

EDIT: I see a lot of people talking about R1 here. I didn't compare it to EP7 because I just wanted to compare the mainline movies. And while R1 is part of the main story but it's still a side movie. So I didn't include it. R1 felt to me similar to EP7. A very safe picture but atleast had quite a few cool moments. The last one hour is very enjoyable.

Aurongel

I do think it's effective in what it's ultimate goal was but you're 100% correct when you say that you can get everything you're ever going to get from it after one viewing. If VIII doesn't take more creative risks then I think you'll see a lot more critics respond to it coldly. Star Wars required a safe and well executed return to form after the prequel disaster and VII was that to a tee.

Exaggerated ofcourse real numbers are more like 20.

that's still pretty crazy to me

I agree that TFA is basically a retread but it's still miles better than all of the prequels and it was needed to regain trust from the fanbase. If Ep 8 follows a similar format then I'll complain. I still prefer R1 vastly just for that reason.

Edit: goddammit lol, just beaten

kunonabi

I've seen it once and have no inclination to see it a second time. It and Rogue One are the only SW movies I've seen just once in the theater.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It was OK. I watched it several times and it never seemed like a chore.
Rogue One I never finished.
The teaser for The Last Jedi was the first trailer for a Star Wars movie that I didn't want to watch again immediately.
Actually, I never watched it a second time.

ST2K

Yeah, I think Episode VII's a pretty lukewarm Star Wars film. I prefer III to it.

That said, I think it's difficult to judge it completely outside of the context of the rest of the trilogy. Once 8 and 9 are out and the story is complete, I think we can judge it more fairly.

TissueBox

Despite a lot of the whole cookie-cutter stuff I think it's still a pretty fun time. More rewatchable than Rogue One that's for sure.

I tried to watch it twice but couldn't do it. Better than the prequels, but the movie is still poop.

edit: I liked Rogue One better on a first watch, and haven't been able to sit through that one twice either.

Crayon

I like the old movies. Consider them classics. Have seen many many times. Force Awakens was not good at all. A real piece of shit.

Fat4all

Banned
i cant name a single movie ive watched more than ten times

even A Christmas Story i think ive only seen like 8 times

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Maybe you have changed as a person and couldn't sit through 20+ viewings even of the original trilogy.

TheXbox

Nah. TFA is so fun to watch. Looks/sounds amazing, awesome cast, A+ intro/finale. I'll watch TFA ten times before I watch AOTC again.

I think I saw it two or maybe three times in the theater and I enjoyed it, but I haven't been tempted to watch it at home even once. I bought it digitally.. But.. No desire. I thought it was fine, fun, and enjoyable... But not something I want to repeatedly consume like other Star Wars stuff.

I figured it was just because I'm older now, but who knows. I guess there are not a ton of memorable parts to look forward to in it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Welcome to "you are an adult and media doesn't imprint on you the way it did as a childhood". You will find this applies to more than just Star Wars, but I imagine it might feel even stronger with TFA considering it's essentially a remake of a movie you've already watched fifty plus times.

Nah. TFA is so fun to watch. Looks/sounds amazing, awesome cast, A+ intro/finale. I'll watch TFA ten times before I watch AOTC again.

Then we are in agreement as I think AoTC is the weakest movie by far. very mediocre. And that's not even counting the dialogue. Only good part in there was the whole story arc between obi-wan and django fett. 5/10 from me.

Nicolada

I enjoyed it and watched it a few times. It's a good movie, albeit it feels like it was played safe. Watched Rogue One more times already. Now that movie took things up a notch.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Maybe you have changed as a person and couldn't sit through 20+ viewings even of the original trilogy.

I don't know about the OP but I still enthusiastically watch some new movies an unreasonable number of times.
And trailers... I watched the last Thor: Ragnarok trailer twentysomething times in one sitting, lol.

Fat4all

Banned
i really really liked the lord of the rings movies, but ive only seen each of them twice (once each in theaters, once each rented digitally at home two years ago)

i guess im not a big fan of watching the same thing right after seeing it too recently.

also i forget stuff a lot and dont like to buy movies

Episode VII nearly put me to sleep, despite being edited for today's attention-span adverse audience.

Rogue One was even worse though.

TFA doesn't respect the original trilogy, and thus, I don't respect it.

Yep. Massive wasted opportunity. There's so many more interesting ideas they could have explored beyond a soft reboot where the events of the OT barely matter and feel inconsequential

i really really liked the lord of the rings movies, but ive only seen each of them twice (once each in theaters, once each rented digitally at home two years ago)

i guess im not a big fan of watching the same thing right after seeing it too recently.

also i forget stuff a lot and dont like to buy movies

I watched each LOTR quite a few times too lol. Each movie atleast over 5-6 times. I saw return of the king 3 times in theaters lol and two towers twice. now that I think about I think I saw RoTK about 10 times lol.

Oh goodie, another "I have opinions about new Star Wars" thread.

And to contribute: TFA ranged from "fine" to "hella good" for me personally.

Nailed that sense of character chemistry in a way that Rogue One didn't, and is eminently more watchable as a result.

I find it difficult to compare to the OT or PT due to, in part, the way film-making has evolved and changed since 2005 even (among a myriad of other reasons). So I try - and generally succeed - at judging the film on its own merits.

Vectorman

Banned
I haven't even seen Rogue One since the premiere. At least I've seen TFA a couple times. Poe Dameron needed more film time!

I mean, TFA just came out two years ago so...

Yeah.

And yet since then I only watched it 3 times. Once in theaters opening day (Hype!) , second to give it another chance and understand the picture better with my brother and 3rd was for the home release. Since then it's just sitting in my shelf collecting dust. I was watching OT again and they still hold up today. Just as good. Even TPM (somewhat) and RoTS holds up good aside from the stupid cheesy acrobatic fight scene in 3 and some bad CGI. GL is a weak writer so I am not gonna hold him too harshly for that. He should have hired ScreenWriter for prequels. He had the story but for gods sake let someone else write the dialogue.

Syf

Banned
TFA doesn't respect the original trilogy, and thus, I don't respect it.
This is how my thinking has gone after a few repeat viewings. It feels like they ignored what was accomplished in the original trilogy just to jump straight back into the same sort of scenario audiences would be familiar with.

Azuran

Banned
It's natural to feel this way when watching mediocre by the book movies. You can clearly tell none of the suits who wrote this film had any passion for the franchise.

DonMigs85

I have the same complaints about the movie, felt like it was designed to a formula. Hoping TLJ is a lot more creative and took risks.
I also predict BB-8 gets damaged in some way - probably loses his body. A good droid always gets damaged in the 2nd movie of each trilogy

I enjoyed the film but it just isn't as fun of a movie as the originals. Then again, there is on way any movie made today can meet the standards we have created for them. Personally, my biggest problem with it is Kylo Ren. I thought he was a horrible villan and really brought the movie down. He just came off as a whiny brat. I am interested to know which direction they will go with the character in the future movies though.

Crayon

I watched this on opening night and it was awful. And I got this horrible feeling on the way home that this motherfucker was going to get rave reviews. So I looked it up when I got home and like and behold everyone thought it was amazing. What the fuck.

Aaron

This is how my thinking has gone after a few repeat viewings. It feels like they ignored what was accomplished in the original trilogy just to jump straight back into the same sort of scenario audiences would be familiar with.
Except with cartoonish exaggerations, turning the Empire into Space Nazis and making Darth Emo. Not to mention The Greatest Fighter Pilot in the History of the Universe!!! Geez, show don't tell movie. I liked Fin, but the girl was so boring. Fake Yoda was also bad. Almost as bad as the tacked on comedy. One big ball of wasted opertunity.

I liked Rogue One slightly more, but still wasn't good. There's just nothing to gain from either repeat viewing.

The Force Awakens is a competent movie, better made than the prequels, but is nothing beyond that. It's a "meh" movie. It's like a saltine cracker; good to eat but unfulfilling and not something I would try to seek out again.

It's also suffers from a lot of JJ-isms that end up hurting the movie. For example, JJ Abrams does not know (or knows, and chooses to ignore it) how space works, and how things are far apart, and how Finn should not have been able to see the Republic planets being destroyed. As a result, it makes the galaxy feel tiny and cramped when it should have been expansive. Another problem is that Abrams also seems to be so afraid of his movie being "boring" that he cuts out important information and barely lets any scene breathe (I put the blame on JJ for this because its the exact problem with the first movie he directed, Mission Impossible III, where the second half of that movie is so poorly paced and jumps from setpiece to setpiece so quickly that it ends up being tiring). The movie does a terrible job of explaining what the difference between the Republic and the Resistance is, and how the First Order was able to rise to power. There are also not stakes when the planet system is blown up, because we've never been there and it serves no purpose on the plot (while the first criticism can be leveled at ANH, the fact that the destruction of Alderaan throws a wrench in the main characters plans makes it destruction feel relevant).

It's an okay movie, and after RO (which was so much worse), I'm not really feeling any hype for the new trilogy. I hope the TLJ turns out to be good and knocks it out of the park, since I love SW and the OT, but none of the recent movies have been doing anything for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom