• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarHawk PS3 was the most fun multiplayer shooter of all time and we need one for PS4

OP, have you tried Planetside 2? I never played Warhawk but PS2 looks like a beefed up version of that first video you posted.

J-Skee

Honestly, just give me the same game with updated graphics & you've got my money. Had way too much fun with Warhawk.

Easily the best mulitiplayer game I've ever played. That game was pure bliss on every level. All of the expansions were amazing, it had the greatest jetpacks ever created in a video game.

And I swear, their netcode was powered by black magic. I had a friend come over to check it out, and he was really digging the dogfight mechanics, and he asked me as he was playing it "so how's the multi-player?". Bro, this IS the multi-player.

Pro flight, poison mines for the win.

Rudiano

Banned
Since we still have no Warhawk 2 (Starhawk isnt) I will have to do with Batllefront, which is very similar to Warhawk and Im loving it. I hope the Squadron mode is as exciting as Dog Fights was in Warhawk. I really hope they do make a proper sequel, I clocked in over 1400 hours in the first game and was a fiend.

You can play it on PS4 right now. You just need a good internet connection because it's on PSNow (via a la carte and via subscription). Also, it's the vanilla game only, so don't expect the Drop Ship, the APC, or the Jet Pack. It ran well for me. I had fun with it, because in my room I have my PS3 and PS4 with two TVs (each system is connected to both TV). I started the game on both systems. One TV was the Eucadian side and the other was the Chernovan side.

Qwark

I freaking loved Warhawk. It was the only online shooter that I put in enough time to actually get good at. Grenade tosses were soooo satisfying. I never did try Starhawk though.

pnutboy

Warhawk was one of the first games I ever played on my PS3. I must have put at least a hundred hours into it. One of the most underrated games on the system
Also, the start menu theme is freaking awesome

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I wasn't as good at any multiplayer game as I was with warhawk. I liked just how everything came together. Proximity mines for example just 'worked' with jeeps, and kamikaze jeeps were a legitimate strategy all on their own. The feeling of blowing up a kamizake jeep right before it smashed into you...

Absolutely loved Warhawk & MAG. Some of the few online games I've played that encouraged teamwork well. Still nothing out there quite like them.

Think that's one of the reasons Starhawk failed; it was so easy to be a lone wolf, yet doing so hurt your team more than it would in other shooters. So much tactical potential wasted.

Absolutely loved Warhawk & MAG. Some of the few online games I've played that encouraged teamwork well. Still nothing out there quite like them.

Think that's one of the reasons Starhawk failed; it was way too easy to be a lone wolf, and doing so hurt your team more than it would in other shooters. So much tactical potential wasted.

MAG was so good too! What was that three faction mode called? It was the coolest thing I'd seen in an FPS.

Warhawk was amazing, it was also probably one of the hardest MP games last gen. Starhawk didn't grab be the same way, but I hope they give it another shot.

chunk3rvd

Signed. No new weapons though. Keep it as it was. I loved the rock-paper-scissors like strengths and weaknesses to each weapon and vehicle. I would give my left nut to get the original game on PS4 with all 3 DLC packs, 1080p, 60fps

Tapejara

I loved Warhawk and Starhawk (though I played the former a lot more). Would love if Sony had made the "Hawk" series into a mainstay franchise rather than calling it quits after Starhawk bombed.

Edit: FWIW Warhawk is available on PS Now, but I don't think any of the DLC is included. Only problem is you're streaming the game, but at least there is a way to play it on PS4.

I loved Warhawk and Starhawk (though I played the former a lot more). Would love if Sony had made the "Hawk" series into a mainstay franchise rather than calling it quits after Starhawk bombed.

Edit: FWIW Warhawk is available on PS Now, but I don't think any of the DLC is included. Only problem is you're streaming the game, but at least there is a way to play it on PS4.

It's not. It's a shame.

bengraven

Is it worth it?

I didn't get a PS3 until a couple years ago and so I missed out, but I remember wanting it badly.

Elfish

They just had to make Warhawk 2, Starhawk was not a true sequel in my eyes.
It was so different and it had a darker theme aswell.
I think Starhawk bombed because of the bad marketing around it.

Removing hover was a big mistake too but I loved the hawk into mech transformation.

Welfare

Warhawk and MAG. God damn the PS3 had some of the best multiplayer games last generation.

Warhawk PS4 would be a great thing to see.

DrD

Yes please! I'd love a Warhawk remake. One of the best MP games of all time imo. Flying a warhawk made me feel like a god.

This game is great. It definitely deserves a PS4 sequel. Reminds me of all those amazing arena and fortress games of yore like Tribes and Quake only with awesome flying Warhawks.

There's so many military and sci-fi "grim dark (tm)" shooters around, and now we're getting all these Far Cry clone games with Far Cry series and Ghost Recon going all Just cause....

But too few good arena shooters these days. Very under-served market, got trampled by the Call of Duty wave I guess and then was forgotten :/

Mentok

Banned
I really don't get the appeal for MAG people are mentioning...but WarHawk was awesome from what I tried of it. I'd gladly take a PS4 version.

Elfish

This game is great. It definitely deserves a PS4 sequel. Reminds me of all those amazing arena and fortress games of yore like Tribes and Quake only with awesome flying Warhawks.

There's so many military and sci-fi "grim dark (tm)" shooters around, and now we're getting all these Far Cry clone games with Far Cry series and Ghost Recon going all Just cause....

But too few good arena shooters these days. Very under-served market, got trampled by the Call of Duty wave I guess and then was forgotten :/

The main problem is that Call of Duty fucked upped the whole fps genre indeed.
I don't understand why it is so popular, it is the same every year only with some tiny differences, recycled weapons (skins) and maps. And I really hate the sci-fi theme.
Check out REFLEX on steam, that is a fun arenashooter but still in early access.
I would love to see a new Battlefield 1942 though and I would be glad if they just release a WarHawk HD version on PS4. WarHawk was something unique.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Maybe I was just not very good back in the day, but I remember ranking up in WarHawk being hard as balls.

StarHawk was a good concept too, if not the WarHawk successor folks were hoping for. I loved the mixture of 3rd person shooting, vehicular combat, and RTS elements. It just had some balance issues that never really got sorted out before the game was all but abandoned.

Shame that it seems the franchise is left without a future.

Online shooters typically bore the shit out of me, but Warhawk was amazing. Especially once I got good at flying the Warhawks and got into dogfights with other good players. Best combat ever, pure skill and cunning. I wish the dogfight servers were more popular. Ground combat was also hilariously fun arcadey bliss. Every time I spawned, the possibilities seemed endless. Never had more fun with a game.

D i Z

Warhawk was amazing. I dumped so much time into that game, but they lost me with the changes after they put in the jetpacks. Still, flying an actual Warhawk was like nothing else. The dogfights. The air to ground combat. Wow. I would absolutely play this again if they released a PS4 version. Just leave the Starhawk changes out of it.

Top Bottom