• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umineko When They Cry |OT| This game will not have a happy ending

Knurek

http://i.imgur.com/lftraWt.png

Sorry, the actual name is
Music Box. I know it's not REALLY a spoiler but I thought it was a neat surprise since the music for Umineko is fantastic.

1268228219956.png

Where's that voice patch. :(

Aizo

Banned
I suppose that this is as good a place as any to ask something about the PS3 version? Surely someone here has them. I plan to pick them up when I get through my backlog a bit more, but the prices were really confusing to me. The first one is like 1,100 yen, and the second one is over 8,000 yen (both used prices). Why is this? Supply for the sequel is significantly lower, or am I not looking at the right product?

Aizo

Banned
Still crazy that it's 8x the price, but I'll just think of it as them averaging out to about 4500 a pop... which is still not a great price for a used PS3 game from 6 years ago.

Still crazy that it's 8x the price, but I'll just think of it as them averaging out to about 4500 a pop... which is still not a great price for a used PS3 game from 6 years ago.
If you're in the United States, I would recommend scoping out used copies for the Answer Arc on eBay. You might have to lounge around for the right price point to come along, but I've seen several of them sale for notably less than Amazon.co.jp. That's how I was able to secure a nearly mint condition import for about $30-40 a couple years back in contrast to ¥8,500 (~$85) being consistent elsewhere. As previously stated, Umineko wasn't a huge success for the console publisher, Alchemist, so they probably didn't offer a large supply for the sequel. Plus, their Answer Arc ports were ultimately scrapped on the PSP so the visual novel remains incomplete on the handheld market leaving the PS3 follow-up as the "primary route" for finishing it with the HD visuals and voice work in tact.

Knurek

Plus, their Answer Arc ports were ultimately scrapped on the PSP so the visual novel remains incomplete on the handheld market leaving the PS3 follow-up as the "primary route" for finishing it with the HD visuals and voice work in tact.

77839BD389C5692E8DC53315D8088F26979E8714

Steam version says hi.

Steam version says hi.
I used quotation marks for this reason. If you're wanting a tangible copy of the game with the aforementioned effects out of the box, you really don't have much of a choice. I respectfully presume that's a factor in why Aizo inquired about them assuming the complete lack of English support wasn't already a major deterrent.

Knurek

Honestly think it's weird seeing the PS3 graphics with the original text style having actually played the PS3 version.

There's been some talk of porting the Umineko Tweak text box to the Steam version.
one_two180jf8.png

Personally, I don't mind either. I could play even with the original assets, provided the VA is there - as that's the major boon of PS3 version.

Aizo

Banned
If you're in the United States, I would recommend scoping out used copies for the Answer Arc on eBay. You might have to lounge around for the right price point to come along, but I've seen several of them sale for notably less than Amazon.co.jp. That's how I was able to secure a nearly mint condition import for about $30-40 a couple years back in contrast to ¥8,500 (~$85) being consistent elsewhere. As previously stated, Umineko wasn't a huge success for the console publisher, Alchemist, so they probably didn't offer a large supply for the sequel. Plus, their Answer Arc ports were ultimately scrapped on the PSP so the visual novel remains incomplete on the handheld market leaving the PS3 follow-up as the "primary route" for finishing it with the HD visuals and voice work in tact.
I live in Japan, but maybe I should check Yahoo auctions or something. I'll keep an eye out.

cj_iwakura

If anyone knew(or cared), I haven't heard from MG about using our fan translation. Seems like they're doing their own thing.

tumblr_o228ry5VpJ1skns5ho8_1280.jpg

tumblr_o228ry5VpJ1skns5ho7_1280.jpg

Jokes on them, our logo's nicer.

Burbeting

Banned
Higurashi sales:

Onikakushi - 59,938 ± 6,352
Watanagashi - 15,513 ± 3,232
Tatarigoroshi - 4,760 ± 1,790
Himatsubushi - 1,587 ± 1,033

Although Himatsubushi just released, but don't expect much better sales than around 4k.

Aand...

Umineko Questions - 3,702 ± 1,578

(Steamspy is source for all of these)

So yeah, I can't see mangagamer being super enthusiastic about the sales outside Onikakushi so far. I think Umineko answers will come out, but I doubt it's a priority for them.

The rest of Umineko is coming out that's not in question. We just don't know the state of the progress because it doesn't show up in MangaGamer's translation progress updates because it's not a fresh translation. The same thing happened with initial release on Steam. And those Umineko Questions sales numbers aren't even poor by MG standards, it's better than most of what they put out.

Shizuka

Finally finished the first chapter with the art & voice patch. One thing that was driving me insane is how low the voices are compared to the BGM. I could barely hear the dialogue later on and the rain track was making me crazy.

Still, it's a wild ride just as I remembered, although I'm not diving right into the second chapter just yet.

Finally finished the first chapter with the art & voice patch. One thing that was driving me insane is how low the voices are compared to the BGM. I could barely hear the dialogue later on and the rain track was making me crazy.

Still, it's a wild ride just as I remembered, although I'm not diving right into the second chapter just yet.

Can't you lower the BGM sound slider?

bobawesome

What a relief, steamcardexchange.net finally uploaded the foil badge for Umineko.

62fa1fce4879c2573b2a90d986fc36f149afccca.png

Not bad but the prices for foils are an absolute joke so it's pretty much unobtainable.

Also, I would've preferred a Ryukishi07 Beatrice.

Rektash

Is there absolutely any info about Chiru? It's been almost a year now :(.

umineko4cuj8.png

The sad truth.

Honestly, just get one of the jp releases and install the witchhunt translation patch. There is a PS3 patch for that version as well. Not quite as nice looking as the steam version but it does the job.

So what are the chances that Higu project will be halted? Such a shame the sales have been nosediving.

at this point, I'll honestly be flipping across every table in rage if they stop before the first 8 arcs.

They only have themselves to blame for releasing two arcs every year (at least so far). People are bound to lose interest.

It's a rerelease to boot so many people in the fanbase already played it.

Top Bottom