• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explain to me how games like Battlefield and Gears being played early hurts me

Online passes? Don't like em.
Micro Transactions? Don't like em. Hell I hate em.
Expensive season passes that don't tell you what you're getting? Don't like em.
Early Access (as in real early access not play a few days early)? Mmmm fuck off.

Some people who play the game a few days early? Well...so?

The only thing I'm worried about is spoilers but otherwise I feel like people are making this a bigger deal than it is. If you don't even know this is happening you live in a state of bliss. Hell you get to play games like BF1 on Friday (which is dope I hate games coming out on Tuesday). And...what else?

What am I missing ladies and gents?

I mean if anything these poor saps can bug test for me before launch.

Corpekata

Banned
Do you need to be directly negatively impacted to dislike something?

Like your example of Early Access, you probably aren't affected by that either, but you chose to harp on it in your post.

Betty

Banned
Well for now it's just days.

Then maybe it'll be weeks.

Then months.

Then games will just naturally cost way more.

Then you can pay even MORE to play a few days earlier.

Then a few weeks earlier.

Then months.

Platy

The basic idea of Early Access is awesome ... the porblem is that on steam it basicaly became a distribution model. Games that are forever in early access and don't even plan to exit it

But I think triple A games are pretty safe from this destiny

Tangeroo

The game is done. It's not that these people are playing it early. They're making everyone else play it late. It's creating a class divide amongst gamers.

It's not a major deal to me, but I don't like the principal of it.

Blobbers

Day 1 is peak hype for a game. It's the highest level of hype since it's announcement, and it will never be as high in the future. Some people love the elating feeling of peak hype days so maybe they feel cheated that they will now have to pay to get it.

That's as good a reason IO can come up with

Pay $80 for the Early Enlister version to play today! Or pay $60 to play in a month. Just hope it's not a story game. Or an MP-centric game. Yeah, this won't affect me at all, until every game does it and there's exclusive stuff for those willing to pay more and get in early.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Then months.

Then months.

When we're getting into months territory this is already the case cause games go on sale.

Exactly OP, how does this hurt anyone?

Also, those of you saying it will go from a week early, to a month(lol), to more; what precedent are you basing this off of. Wouldn't it just be a price drop at the point of a week or more?

Also games have basically been $60 for 25 years. Inflation is a thing and budgets have skyrocketed, what the hell are people expecting exactly, a $60 price tag forever?

Cyrix

Neo Member
Because they aren't getting it early. This isn't an alpha, beta, or demo. The game is done and could be fully released.

Publishers are exploiting fans.

It's not about you being hurt because you have to wait, it's about creating a fake incentive to get more money out of players because they can.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

Then months.

Then months.

Something like this.

I remember someone from Microsoft stating that the main reason they priced 360 games at $60 was because they could get away with it from selling limited editions that added little to no extra value. Money talks.

What's the difference between them playing earlier and you playing later? Pure semantics. The distaste is that now the game essentially costs $80 at launch, and $60 for an n day wait. $60 is no longer the full retail price. at some point it stops being nice things they do for their special editions and starts being ways they can strong arm you into upgrading. Like making coach as uncomfortable as possible.

Then months.

Then months.

Never in a million years will this happen. Most games are already on sale 30 days out.

This is like people who defended early days of DLC, and Horse Armor.

And look at us today, DLC everywhere, season passes galore, games feeling incomplete, etc

This is like people who defended early days of DLC, and Horse Armor.

And look at us today, DLC everywhere, season passes galore, games feeling incomplete, etc

Then months.

Then months.

This is slippery slope bullshit though. The market dictates what we can and can't do. Micro transactions got out of control because we as a market allowed that to happen. We didn't allow online passes to happen or online only consoles.

And this doesn't even make sense why would a publisher do this? How does this make them more money?

Artificial "release date". The games are done and ready to play, they just give "early access" to people willing to pony up the cash. The people that do are getting grifted and joe schmoe has to wait a few days just so the grifting can take place. It's good for nobody but the people raking in the cash. It's really indefensible and anti-consumer. Companies are certainly allowed to do it, it's in their best interest to make money, it's still shitty as fuck though.

Hexa

Think of it as games pricing increasing due to inflation with an announced planned price drop a week after.
I'm with OP on this. Rather, I think it's actually a pretty great idea.

Gator86

Then months.

Then months.

Yup, but by all means, please keep supporting every scheme the industry comes up with to yank more money out of us. If I've learned anything, it's that you can always trust companies to keep the consumer in mind.

joms5

lil Timmy gonna learn to 360 dropshot 3 days quicker

If that's really a big deal to someone then they'd better be paying that extra money. Otherwise who cares?

I would understand if this was some sort of professional league you were in. Or if it was a tournament with something on the line. But it's not. It's there for fun.

This is exactly why I got out of multiplayer games.

Then months.

Then months.

If this bothers you, wait for the games you're interested in to go on sale.

I just solved the issue for you.

If you have a need to play something the moment it's available, despite this industry having more on offer for you to enjoy than ever before...well, that's something you're going to have to deal with on your own.

I have to imagine that back in 2006 someone made a thread wondering why the existence of a $1.99 Horse Armor affected them.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Youre saying that now but wait till it happens to a title you actually care about.

Artificial "release date". The games are done and ready to play, they just give "early access" to people willing to pony up the cash. The people that do are getting grifted and joe schmoe has to wait a few days just so the grifting can take place. It's good for nobody but the people raking in the cash. It's really indefensible and anti-consumer. Companies are certainly allowed to do it, it's in their best interest to make money, it's still shitty as fuck though.

So the developers and publishers make a ton of extra money and I have to wait a few extra days to play? Why is that a bad thing? If you have 100 dollars and dgaf then you should be free to do whatever you want. Once the game is in my hands it doesn't change how I play or effect me.

Youre saying that now but wait till it happens to a title you actually care about.

It already has. Forza, BF1, and Gears.

Yup, but by all means, please keep supporting every scheme the industry comes up with to yank more money out of us. If I've learned anything, it's that you can always trust companies to keep the consumer in mind.

I'm okay with other people throwing their money at every scheme the industry comes up with. Personally I have the patience to wait months, if not years after a game's release to pick it up on a sale. But if others want to pay more cash to play early then I've no issue!

Chris1

Spoilers is the big reason, but as said it's a slippery slope aswell. I'm not a fan of it and you'll never see me paying £20 or whatever extra to get it a few days early. I'd rather just buy a new game with that money.

93xfan

Banned
The game is done. It's not that these people are playing it early. They're making everyone else play it late. It's creating a class divide amongst gamers.

It's not a major deal to me, but I don't like the principal of it.

Plus it may become a more common trend. I don't want to wait to play a finished game.

WillyFive

Then months.

Then months.

This is impractical because publishers and developers want money; and keeping people from buying it to play is against their necessity to make profit.

SoulUnison

Banned
Because these early-in players aren't really playing the game "early," everybody else is just playing it "later."
They simply created a new "product" by artificially hamstringing the existing one.

That, and I already have top dodge spoilers from releases in differing regions - can you imagine the sheer level of entitled asshole we're going to see when they want to talk about story details when 80% of the community doesn't even have the game?
"If you were so worried about spoilers you should have paid the extra 20 bucks."
I guarantee you we're going to start seeing people who feel that's a legitimate line of reasoning.

GuyKazama

You have to listen to and/or read messages from people complaining about it instead of just talking about the game.

If that bothers you, it may count as being hurt.

120v

count me in the not caring camp.

slippery slope yes but consumers will vote with their dollar. in the future dystopia where we have to fork over an extra $50 to play Bloodborne VII a month early enough people will have called bullshit

Striek

This thread is dumb. You don't acknowledge getting the game late is a negative experience, so really, EA and MS could withhold the games from you for the next year and you've no right to complain.

hamchan

When you think about it it's actually just what we've normally been doing. The longer you wait to play a game, the cheaper the price gets and the bigger savings you get. It's always been like this.

KarmaCow

For developers, I can't imagine this is a good thing. Publishers aren't targeting the early access date since the vast majority of sales are still coming so this just means the developers are on a even more constrained timeline.

It's another instance of the industry eating itself.

Vinc

It doesn't feel good to know that your financial situation keeps you from playing your favorite game at the same time as your friends, for example. I get that angle.

Personally, I can't see myself paying extra to get a game early unless I'm extremely desperate for the game, which just never happens these days. On top of that, I actually tend to preorder games at retailers because they tend to offer discounts with preorders up here. The disadvantage of that was always that I never had time to look at quite as many people's opinion on the game as I wanted to. With BF1, for example, I may have cancelled my preorder and not ended up getting the game if people's opinion didn't factor in, as I don't tend to really enjoy Battlefield due to their often weak campaigns. Learning that this one has a good campaign early made me keep my preorder, and I would have waited for a sale had I not seen that. So it's a win-win situation for me. I'm also rarely against things that allow developers to make more money in ways that don't affect me, so it's all good.

I guess it's okay, but where is the consumer loyalty?

We still pay for maps, guns, and modes. We still pay for maps that die out and modes that die out, which is a fucking crime. Why could I buy map packs when no one was left playing them?

They should make maps free after the next one releases. I guess that's my beef. Cool, you made a ton of easy money, but when do you pay the community back?

Also, is the Enlister Edition the only way to play early? Can people who buy the more expensive editions get in too?

Top Bottom