• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As the NX reveal looms, what are your thoughts on the WiiU/3DS generation?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Software wise two of my favorite consoles ever.

Sadly software output that appeals directly to my tastes don't align well with the general population, so they've got to change this time.

Steejee

Wii U: Really loved off-tv play and the Gamepad in general, even if it was woefully underutilized (how was there never a D&D like game for it?). Game selection was N64/GameCube like - limited but with a high percent of amazing games. Nintendo really blew it on the reveal and messaging and inability to get 3rd parties on board.

3DS: Didn't get one until Link Between Worlds, and have been extremely happy with my purchase.

I have a backlog on both my WiiU and 3DS, though that's in part because I tend to mostly be a Nintendo + PC gamer. That Steam library filled with sprawling epic RPGs is making the backlog a little time consuming to burn through.

Intel_89

3DS has an amazing library in terms of quality, but I expected it to receive more games.

Wii U has a great number of 1st/2nd party games but very few that really stand out for me.

Servbot24

Banned
Splatoon? Issues aside, it's the freshest Nintendo IP in YEARS.

Splatoon is definitely an honorable mention... but that compliment doesn't ring true to me considering that Nintendo hasn't really done anything fresh aside from Splatoon in some time.

You knew people were going to say Tropical Freeze, but if we're counting stuff like Galaxy 2 and MMX then we should count 3D World. Mario Kart 8 is one of the GOAT couch multiplayer games too.

I seriously doubt SM3DW will ever be treated with half the reverence G2 receives.

Mario Kart 8, agreed, it is fantastic. All time classic? Aside from the core fans, I doubt it. It's touch for games like Mario Kart, because in some ways with each new iteration the previous game becomes somewhat obsolete. I know that each one is a little different, but not in the same way each Zelda or Mario is different.

I snuck MMX in there because I personally believe it to be the best game on SNES, but it probably doesn't fit the argument as was making.

3DS - Great software but poor/average hardware until the New 3DS. I hated the original model and was happy the original XL was a step up but neither system was as good as the DS lite for me so I tended to not use it as much until now.

Wii U - Has a couple of games I really enjoyed like 3D World but the console itself is easily the worst piece of hardware in my current setup. The OS is dreadful and the reliance on the gamepad for system level features (or even starting games that do not require that controller) considerably drag things down for me. It's the first modern Nintendo console I would have been fine missing out on.

3DS- Still play my OG 3ds with no problems. Love that thing to death and am going to miss having that second screen. With DQ8 and Dragon Ball Fusions still to come, I think it still has 200+ hours for me.

WiiU- Worth the price of admission alone for me because of Captain Toads Treasure Tracker and Splatoon... Felt the system needed more variety. A platform console doesn't really cut it now a days.

Cleve

3ds provided one of the dumbest gimmicks since the virtual boy, it didn't even work properly until the NEW line helped it focus/adjust automatically. How much it hobbled the unit's performance to support it just wasn't worth it.

Still, some of my favorite games were there

Wii U was another low point in nintendo gimmicks, I still dislike holding the tablet vs a pro controller, and other than gyro aiming and an Ubisoft launch title, never felt it offered a compelling reason for the tablet.

The system will be remembered for splatoon and mario maker, at least until sequels hit on NX.

WiiU - I bought this console twice. I sold said consoles as well. They never could hook me, the WiiU was the only console that ever felt motion sickness from playing. It was an odd experience. I really wanted to keep it thought as that playing from bed concept without needing a handheld anymore (30+ year old here) was so alluring.

3DS - I have purchased and sold the original black/blue, red XL, new 3ds XL, new 3ds normal, and now still have the black 3ds XL new with an IPS screen. I love the RPGs this thing has whether new or remakes, this system has been awesome from almost day 1. It has he best version of Metal Gear Solid 3, yes from a pure gameplay standpoint , the updated control scheme is amazing. I will concede that the frame rate suffers, but it still controls great which for me supercedes the frames. My only qualm is how loose my top hinge is, and I also owned 3 vitas during this timeframe and that resolution/screen quality is jarring. I know they are completely different systems/hardware, but how many times I wished my 3ds had some equivalent of a screen as my Vita, still best handheld out of the two for me.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
My thoughts are the Wii U had an absolutely stellar lineup of games despite being grossly underpowered and ill-conceived. Nintendo first party still got it.

marmoka

Banned
I have both, and I rather play home consoles than handhelds.

3DS had (still has) a brilliant life. Many games are great, and had a great Japanese third party support. One of my favorite games of the generations, Shin Megami Tensei IV, is for this console (I will tell you if Apocalypse is better when I finish it). Its main bet was the 3D screen without glasses, that was a little shitty in regular 3DS, but well improved in New 3DS; unfortunately, doesn't seem to be a relevant factor of the handheld, nobody cares much about it, all people think about the games.

Meanwhile, Wii U,... Well, we all know it had no third party support (had, but not much), not many games. Many games were great, others weren't, and some had a bad reception because we need to play with the gamepad. Not everyone liked the gamepad, I personally hate it, but we had the glorious Pro-Controller, a great controller with an insane battery life. I enjoyed, and still enjoy, the console. I'm also a PS4 owner, and play more often with my Wii U than with my PS4, and this one is supposed to have a huge library. Overall, I'm happy.

I think both did well. The Wii U had many failures, but I'm proud of having it.

Let's see how NX performs, and if they have learned the lessons after the Wii U.

KAL2006

Banned
There are some things Nintendo can take from these poor systems that can benefit the next Nintendo system at the least.

StreetPass - great idea for when taking the NX out
MiiVerse - one of the best social experiences on a console, NX needs to expand on thix
Splatoon - finally a new IP from Nintendo that everyone loves, NX sequel will be huge
Monster Hunter - Nintendo got the steal of this IP from Sony to take the Japan Handheld crown, NX needs this IP for success in Japan
Mario Maker - what everyone has been waiting for in a 2D mario game, we need a lift this needs a 2nd chance out of all the last gen games

The above are some nice ideas that I hope Nintendo build on in the next system. I didn't include other great games like Donkey Kong as this isn't exactly a new IP or a new idea on a IP. It's just more of the same. But for me the above were the crowning fetures and stand out games of last gen.

woopWOOP

I certainly didn't regret buying both systems. Still turn both on pretty regularly.
WiiU's lineup may not have been stellar (to say the least), but I got more than plenty out of it. Playing with the WiiU gamepad never really bothered me either, even tho I feel Mario Maker was the one game that truly made good use of that 2nd touchscreen.
As for the 3DS (XL), I never used the 3D feature, but the streetpass features were pretty neat. I treated it mostly as another NDS with a bigger screen and prettier graphics, which was fine by me.

Anth0ny

Personally, I think 3DS might be the best Nintendo handheld ever. Tied with the original Gameboy for me, if not a bit better.

Wii U was better than Wii, but that's about it.

Enjoyed Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 8, Wind Walker HD, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Kirby & The Rainbow Curse, ZombiU, etc.

Been very happy with the generation software-wise. I really hope that Nintendo's next handheld isn't so underpowered like the 3DS is...

Blues1990

3DS is an amazing handheld that got off to a slow start, Wii U has some of my favorite games of all time but it's clearly a disaster. I hope for NX they finally get VC under control.

My thoughts exactly.

While I have every physical game for the 3DS since it had launched (and been playing each and everyone religiously from time-to-time), the same can't be said for the Wii U.

Wii U is the worst console I've ever purchase when it first launched. It took far too long for it to redeem itself, and even then it it didn't last long because it couldn't keep up with competition.

muteki

Probably the generation I had the least amount of involvement with Nintendo. I didn't get a Wii U until last Christmas, and while I had a 3DS early on and enjoyed the first few games I had for it, once I got a Vita that killed it for me. I can't go back to that screen and controller, something I hope NX will fix.

But I still enjoy the Wii U, once I get a game started at least. Too many games didn't make it over here or are digital only which is a major bummer to me, but at least I still have quite the backlog of WiiU games to work through.

Guess you could say over the course of this gen I have gone from "Day 1" to "wait and see".

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Splatoon is definitely an honorable mention... but that compliment doesn't ring true to me considering that Nintendo hasn't really done anything fresh aside from Splatoon in some time.

Nintendo has created numerous new IPs in the past 10 years, but those never count because... reasons.

Cleve

Wii U is the worst console I've ever purchase when it first launched.

I thought mine was broken with how long that first update took. The OS was still terribly slow despite being pretty barren of features. It's gotten better over time, but man was it rushed out the door.

3DS seemed to sacrifice the wider net of third party support the DS had for a stronger set of Nintendo franchise titles, evidentially we can't have both!
WiiU almost had a quantity over quality thing going on for its nintendo franchises from its mid 2013 to early-mid 2015 but a bunch of noticeably lacklustre titles in the later years sort of bring down the Wii U being able to play that card fully.

All that said some of my favourite Nintendo titles have come from the WiiU.
Currently boasting arguably the best Kart and Smash entries (which of course may well change next gen) and some top tier entries for Pikmin, Donkey Kong and Mario (make your choice, I'd argue for Maker over the rest but 3D World and NSMBU are no slouches). Not to forget the platinum one-two punch of Bayo2 and W101 which easily stand as their strongest output thus far this gen.

3DS is a way more consistent console but the WiiU has the (few) titles i'll most fondly remember.

Now as for outside of the games....boy WiiU was a right cock up huh, the name will puzzle me to this day, that ever stretching launch window period. 3DS they managed to salvage at least but that doesn't change that they sent the handheld out with some slim pickings. Good games, odd decisions, such is Nintendo.

SUPARSTARX

I just want Nintendo to spring back with something good in terms of hardware performance and good third party support. The NX rumored leaks for the hybrid console look awful and I hope it's just a bad troll.

And if they do want mobility, we got hi resolution smartphones and tablets, don't go backward on a new 3DS with 400x280 pixels. :(

Please.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
3DS was a solid successor to the DS. Obviously the western support dried up pretty quickly but the support from both Nintendo and 3rd parties was fantastic.

The Wii U... the less said about it the better. Honestly think its the worst console I've ever bought in every possible way. The hardware itself was awful, I hate the tablet controller and didn't find the pro that much more comfortable. The OS was lousy, the overall experience sucked. Nintendo put out a few good games for the system but that was it.

Yasumi

Banned
WiiU just wasn't appealing. It had a few standout games, but certainly wasn't worth the investment.

3DS was also a bit of a disappointment. I felt it severely lacked in the more experimental quirky software that made use of the hardware, like Hotel Dusk, Trauma Center, Rub Rabbits, Game with No Name (even if we didn't get it), etc. This gen, it felt like developers either ignored the touch screen, or just offloaded information to it. Its existence was more often a detriment to the software, and ergonomics suffered because of it. Hopefully NX turns out a little better.

GAMETA

Banned
Maybe it's because my son is now old enough to play with me (he's 6) and that makes me feel like I'm back to my childhood playing with my cousins, but I've been having more fun with the WiiU than I've had in a long long time.

The hardware sucks? Sure! But the majority of Nintendo's games are as great as I remember them being, some are even better than the classics... and the fact that I can still sit on the couch side by side with people I care and have a lot of fun like I used to when I was a kiddo is really great.

So yah, I really liked the WiiU when it comes to its games and the experiences it provided.

PS. Sony and MS should definitively "re-embrace" local coop and "E for Everyone" games :D

EVH

The funny thing is that I lost the charger for 3DS some months ago and I didnt even care to search for it.

The funnier thing is that that charger had to be bought separatelly because Europe.

tquinta

Neo Member
The WiiU has a special place in my heart since it allowed me to play Wind Waker, one of my favourite games of all time (I skipped the Gamecube). It has great games and I actually really like the gamepad.
  • Splatoon
  • Super Mario Maker
  • DK: Tropical Freeze
  • Pikmin 3
  • SM3DW
  • Smash Bros.
  • Earthbound (VC)
The UI was dreadful, Mii looked outdated, the account system was even worse and VC was underused (and dark)

3DS was my Animal Crossing machine, I don't care much about JRPGs so I never got those. I did enjoy de Zelda remasters and ALBW. Dark Moon was enjoyable too.

WiiU > 3DS for me

JoeM86

Incredible. Their software output has been absolute top standard with their games. Granted a couple of mis-steps, but the highs they had were absolutely incredible.

It's a real shame that the Wii U didn't take off. It deserved a lot more sales than it got

Burbeting

Banned
Sales wise Wii U was a natural progression from SNES, 64 and GC with Wii as the outlier. It had lot of good games though.

3DS was pretty solid, but it definitely felt like DS 1.5.

Jacknapes

The 3DS started slow, however with a "relaunch" and a lower price it sold exeptionally well. Nintendo even rewarded early 3DS adopters with "Ambassador" games. As a whole, the 3DS is a great handheld and one of my favourite consoles

The WiiU however, that's a different kettle of fish. Nintendo made the mistake of revealing the tablet first, then a few weeks or so later revealed the console. It confused people, and didn't sell well. The software was great though, i've had some good moments in gaming through the WiiU software (including Pikmin 3 and DK: Tropical Freeze). But otherwise, it was mediocre in terms of a home console from Nintendo.

Servbot24

Banned
Fire Emblem Awakening, Animal Crossing and SM3DL were my highlights on 3DS awesome games. Overall I didn't like it as much as NDS though. NDS really benefited from 3rd parties.

Mupod

The Wii U started off strong but after Bayonetta 2 not many of its games really appealed to me - Tokyo Mirage Sessions felt like my first excuse to boot it up in ages. If we continued on the trajectory set by games like Zombi U, MH3U, Bayonetta 2, and W101 then it would have been really amazing. Splatoon might have been up my alley but it made a bad first impression with its broken time limited demos so I never bothered to buy it. I'd give a sequel a chance but it's far too late now (and it's still full price fuck off nintendo).

As a console I thought it was great. It had enough power to do what Nintendo needed to do, Mario Kart 8 and SMW looked fine. I have a high end PC so to me, consoles need to provide a certain kind of experience and the Wii U nailed that in the few games I got for it. I can't say the gamepad justified its existence but I liked using it for UI stuff and a few games. Most importantly the system usually let you use traditional controls and the Pro Controller kicks ass. The Wii was almost a complete non-system for me because I cannot stand the Wiimote.

In the end I only got it for Monster Hunter and was happy with MH3U even though it suffered from being a 3DS port. Can't say I wasn't hugely let down by Capcom neglecting to continue the Wii U versions of the later MH games, but if there's one thing I'm excited about the NX for it's that they can't avoid making console MH anymore.

Which brings me to the 3DS - like the PSP before it, any system with MH on it becomes a dedicated MH machine for me. I bought a lot of 3DS games that got ignored. But I wish it was more suited to MH, I mean just look at the lengths you need to go to in order to get decent controls - circle pad pro, crazy Hori attachments, grips, PSP analog nub mods. The MH games were great despite the hardware limitations but, as the nonstop port begging in every MH thread reminds us, they could have been better.

Due in no small part to MH, I can say with some confidence that I've played my 3DS more than any other Nintendo system ever. And I've had most of them. But the non-MH library was great too, not as crazy as the DS but games like ace attorney, SMT4, zero escape would have sold the system to me even without MH.

The more I think about the individual strengths and shortcomings of these two systems, the more I feel like the idea of an NX being a hybrid console/handheld is perfect for me.

18-Volt

Wii U - Smash/Splatoon machine

3DS - The "Etrian Hunter Emblem" machine. 360 hours alone for Etrian games. I'm gonna puke if I play even one more hour of it. Wait, Etrian 5 is coming right? Oh well...

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Because they were half-hearted, mediocre and/or low budget.

And Splatoon is none of those things, yet it doesn't count according to you, because Nintendo doesn't make enough new IP based on your unreasonable definition of new IP?

(plus totally ignoring the likes of Xenoblade and Wonderful 101)

Brandson

Having two young children, the WiiU is far and away the most used console in my house. My 5-year old son really likes watching me play the various Mario games (3D World, Mario Kart, and NSMBU). No other games have captured his imagination like those. He has trouble holding the WiiU controller and reaching the buttons though, so it's been mainly me playing.

Hopefully NX gets an option for a really small controller for little kids. I just bought an AVS and found my old NES controllers, which are still in great condition, so he can play something that fits in his hands.

Ultimately, just the fact that WiiU is a HD Nintendo console with modernized connectivity (HDMI) makes it worthwhile for me. More power and higher resolution would have been nice but the lack of 3rd-party support doesn't affect my enjoyment of it at all. I have a PS4 for that.

The 3DS never spoke to me. I had one from launch, and only ever got a couple of games on it. The graphics were not good, the resolution was poor compared to phones, the battery life was too short, and the 3D effect gave me eye strain. The build quality was also weaker than I expected. I would be happy to see more future mobile Nintendo games come to Android and iOS instead.

passed on the wii u. got a 3ds, but never used the 3d, & saw it as little more than ds 2.0. played maybe a dozen plus games for it, & thought the original ds had a better selection...

so, very little nintendo for me this gen...

Pyrrhus

I'm glad the Wii U era is finally ending

Finally? I'm glad they're moving on, but it feels to me like the Wii U era was so short you could blink and miss it. It was seen as an unqualified failure by almost everybody by January 2014. We've all been treading water and waiting for the next attempt ever since.

I liked the return to prominence for traditional controls on Wii U but the system itself was always a sluggish, unimpressive, self-limited sort of thing and they never justified the existence of the second screen and all of the compromises on size and battery life it required. But honestly they were cooked out of the gate because they gave us slightly sub-360 presentation and scope after we were all thoroughly sick of those limitations. There was still a good bit of brilliant software but there was no exciting technological magic like when you saw the NES, SNES, N64, and Game Cube. And I miss that. I want to feel like I'm playing what will be the future when I spend hundreds of dollars to buy a system on launch day.

I also think that when we think back on Iwata the failures of WiiU/3DS era will be what define him at least as much as the amazing windfall of the DS and Wii. They were amazing successes for their time but I think Iwata and Nintendo more generally took the wrong lessons from them and walked right into the mess that they've been dealing with since 2010.

I hope the NX really does represent a philosophical break from the last two generations as it's clear that that thinking has taken them as far as it's going to.

two of the worst pieces of hardware from a major party in gaming. Games output for the 3DS was pretty good, wii u was lackluster but bayonetta 2 stands out as being incredible

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
My 3DS and Wii U both had an amazing golden year but ultimately I think I ended up resenting both consoles for just not having a consistent enough output of games I wanted to play.

I really wanted the 3DS to become a "i can't believe this unique gem got made" factory like the DS was but it never quite managed to do it. Instead it just became a JRPG factory which isn't what I was looking for.

My Wii U was even more rocky, I bought it for monhun, w101, bayo 2, XCX, smash and Zelda which still hasn't released. I expected nintendo games to catch my eye and give me interesting experiences but it never really happened.

Ultimately i ended up loving the gamepad and the Wii U gave me hundreds of hours of fun but it was certainly a huge letdown.

Servbot24

Banned
And Splatoon is none of those things, yet it doesn't count according to you, because Nintendo doesn't make enough new IP based on your unreasonable definition of new IP?

(plus totally ignoring the likes of Xenoblade and Wonderful 101)

I never said anything like that. Of course it "counts". But when the argument is that Splatoon is great because it's Nintendo's most fresh new IP in 10 years... well, of course it is. There's almost no competition.

I know there are other reasons it's a good game, I was addressing one post in particular.

Arion

The 3ds was pretty much my monster hunter and Zelda machine. It had a great library but wasn't great as a piece of hardware. Vita is the total opposite in that regard.

Top Bottom