• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a Wii U owner I feel betrayed by Nintendo. Am I the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Zelda game should have been this holiday WiiU release but I had my fun I am ready for the new co sole

I owned my WiiU at launch and got to play really great titles on it

I am ready to Switch

nubbe

I have enjoyed the exclusive content on WiiU more than the competitors... so no
it has been fun and 4 years is about how long a cycle should be

nkarafo

Considering I have more than 100 games on disc, this statement is false.

According to this Reddit post, as of March 2016 there were 141 US retail games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/3zi0zw/complete_north_american_wii_u_retail_game_list/

So you are right. Still though, that's less than half of what the N64 had (and that was considered a console with a small library compared to even the Saturn's nearly 600 games). And i don''t think there's enough life on the console to come close to even that.

I don't recall it getting any worse of a lifespan than the GameCube, an that's stil a darling to many people here and elsewhere online. At least Nintendo tried to support it up until the Switch's release. That's more than you can say for Sony and the Vita.

Biske

Totally disagree.

I feel completely trayed by the Wii-U has had a ton of great games, quite a few I haven't even gotten around to. Easily 10 or 15 solid games to love and enjoy.

One of my favorite consoles ever.

Splatoon alone was worth it. Poured hundreds and hundreds of hours into it.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
As a day-one buyer, I feel disappointed. It did not deliver much more than what was announced before launch. We pretty much knew all the games to come before the console was released.

I bought the console hoping to see some other games, like Metroid or a Fire Emblem game. Nothing happened. Nintendo simply delivered what was announced, and the second wave of games did not consist of ambitious games, but short developments to feed the players. That's disappointing. Even if Splatoon is fun, I can't be satisfied by small/rushed games like Mario Maker or Starfox.

That's exactly what I think.
Except for what they announced before launch, they under-delivered.

Not really. I bought one at launch and had a blast with most of the games on the system. Some like Lego City Undercover, Super Mario 3D World, and Wind Waker HD have been some of my all time faves. I even bought and enjoyed MK8. Splatoon, Yoshi and DKCRTF are other standouts. It's also a great way to play SM64 and DK64.

I plan to blast through TP:HD over Christmas as the system's swansong.

But I had 4 years out of it, if you'd just gotten one recently without an insanely good deal on it, I could see how you'd be a bit miffed. Either way, you can still play your Wii U and go through the games you haven't yet played.

Tratorn

I'm glad they atleast supported it till the end, the libary is not even that bad.

Well, depends on how you define "support".
In 2015/2016 they released the few games they had already in production, but that was it.

The only year with good support was 2014, the rest of the lifetime felt like the preparation for Switch imo.

I don't feel betrayed (don't even know how I could feel that for something like gameconsoles) but yeah it was the console with the most disappointing game library I ever owned (and I practically owned everything from Nintendo besides a GBA and virtual boy).

Phoenixus

Nintendo supported the Wii U far better than Sony supported the Vita: two awesome machines that didn't get the sales love they deserved.
Even if Nintendo port their entire WiiU library to Switch, I'm happy I got to play them many years in advance and will still be able to do so.

I love the Wii U, but I do feel that Nintendo betrayed expectations by:

Never giving us a Metroid game of any kind (outside Nintendo Land).
Never giving us an actual Fire Emblem.
Not putting out anything real this holiday season - really, you couldn't spare one thing from the NX stable?

I feel like those were all reasonable expectations for anyone buying the system to have.

Other than that, I've been really happy with the system and will continue to play it for a long time yet.

madmackem

I've felt this way my last two Nintendo systems, yet I still keep coming back. If the switch does a wii u though that will be it for me and Nintendo hardware.

Justinh

I bought mine about a year after launch? (I can't rightly remember, it was a Wind Waker console)

I don't feel betrayed, despite not really playing it that much. I do have some games that I'm glad to own now, like Pikmin 3 (I'll get to it one day), Bayonetta 2, and Tropical Freeze (again, one day...).

Honestly, if the new Zelda wasn't coming out on Wii U, I'd be really freaking pissed...

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Nintendo supported the Wii U far better than Sony supported the Vita

Yes, but Vita has good support by third parties in the following years (also thanks to sony). Wii U hasn't.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Way I see it, average console length is 5 years.
If it does well, it could be extended to 6 (like Wii). If it does bad, you only get 4. (Xbox, Wii U.)

I got my use from it, got some great games and great experiences with miiverse...

If it makes you feel any better, just imagine this is Nintendo's pro or Scorpio and you just couldn't imagine being stuck with wii u's graphics.

According to this Reddit post, as of March 2016 there were 141 US retail games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/3zi0zw/complete_north_american_wii_u_retail_game_list/

So you are right. Still though, that's less than half of what the N64 had (and that was considered a console with a small library compared to even the Saturn's nearly 600 games). And i don''t think there's enough life on the console to come close to even that.

Er, you're leaving out mountains of digital-only games. That's not an accurate comparison.

madmackem

Nintendo supported the Wii U far better than Sony supported the Vita: two awesome machines that didn't get the sales love they deserved.
Even if Nintendo port their entire WiiU library to Switch, I'm happy I got to play them many years in advance and will still be able to do so.
The thing is I bet the third party support for vita makes wii u support look terrible. Sony dropped the vita pretty quickly but that machine has had a stack of games from third party, Nintendo had to support the wii u first party wise as they fucked up third party again, let's hope they finally finally get a system can't go on and be a big hit without third party.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Which is...?

There's a bunch of stuff going on right now at the Wii U homebrew scene, including the first of at least two different full custom firmwares.

At first I thought that was what the poster was talking about, but how he said "my nintendo" makes me think that he was actually talking about the rewards system now. Dunno why, though.

Poyunch

I already accepted that really early on. The Wii U was failing, everyone could see that. I don't really mind.

The only thing I felt betrayed by was a dual release for Breath of the Wild.

Every Nintendo console has had one exclusive Zelda and the main reasons for me buying the Wii U was to play Smash and Zelda, with all the other games being bonuses.

I could have just waited for the Switch for Zelda.

But anyway. It got some great exclusives. Some of the best exclusives this gen, so far. And I rather Nintendo move on than be shackled by hardware that was failing.

It was time to jump ship rather than sink with it.

nkarafo

Honestly, if the new Zelda wasn't coming out on Wii U, I'd be really freaking pissed...
This will be the same case as Twilight Princess. Originally made for the Gamecube but was delayed for the Wii.

At least the Gamecube already had Wind Waker though.

There's a bunch of stuff going on right now at the Wii U homebrew scene, including the first of at least two different full custom firmwares.

At first I thought that was what the poster was talking about, but how he said "my nintendo" makes me think that he was actually talking about the rewards system now. Dunno why, though.

Still not seeing the relevance to those of us who purchased all of our games. This is great for people who want to download and play everything for free...

Eila

I bought it during the Mario Kart/Smash craze. Those two games were much fun, and I played both extensively for like a month each (Smash maybe longer and I came back for DLC a few times). But then they gave up.
I'm going to be more cautious with the Switch. I expect 3DS tier 3rd party support but I'm going to wait and see, just like how I did with the Wii U (although that didn't end up well for me).

No, I feel like a 4 to 5 year lifespan for a console is just right.

We don't know enough about the Switch's software lineup to really make a comment on it. But I certainly don't feel betrayed at all.
I actually kinda like the idea of maybe having a couple of enhanced ports on there and I might buy them if the additions are significant enough for me. If not I'll just skip them and buy other games instead.

tci

Personally Wii U was close to being my last Nintendo console. I own like 4 games on it. So I am glad it is over. Still not completely sold on Switch, but will see. The reason for that is I bought Wii U for Zelda. I am pissed on how shitty Nintendo have handled this gen.

I will not buy Shift unless I feel confident that Nintendo have learnt from their mistakes with Wii U.

Monocle

No, the Wii U lasted long enough to collect a substantial library of really great exclusives. I love the system, but poor sales, subpar third party support, and the capabilities of the hardware have limited its viability for a longer generation.

I'm excited for Nintendo to move forward. I can still play all of the Wii U games I love when the system isn't actively supported.

Not really. I bought one at launch and had a blast with most of the games on the system. Some like Lego City Undercover, Super Mario 3D World, and Wind Waker HD have been some of my all time faves. I even bought and enjoyed MK8. Splatoon, Yoshi and DKCRTF are other standouts. It's also a great way to play SM64 and DK64.

I plan to blast through TP:HD over Christmas as the system's swansong.

But I had 4 years out of it, if you'd just gotten one recently without an insanely good deal on it, I could see how you'd be a bit miffed. Either way, you can still play your Wii U and go through the games you haven't yet played.

I bought very late into Wii U's life cycle as I do most consoles, so when I jumping in I was pleasantly surprised by the types and quality of games (being a PC gamer mostly) I had far too many games to play really, this is what hit me straight off, I was happy to say the least!

Super Mario Maker
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
Minecraft: Wii U Edition
Shovel Knight
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
NES Remix
New Super Mario Bros. U
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Rayman Legends
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Axiom Verge
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Steamworld Dig
Affordable Space Adventures
New Super Luigi U
Fast Racing Neo
Paper Mario
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Another World
Starfox
Hyrule Warriors
Animal Crossing
Lego City Undercover
Yoshi’s Wooly World
Wonderful 101

OuterLimits

Wii U may be my favorite console this gen. The exclusives are fantastic, especially Splatoon which both my wife and I have played for hours. Plus the recent Tokyo Mirage Sessions game exceeded my expectations by quite a bit.

I also never owned a GBA so I am thrilled that Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, FFTA and Golden Sun are available on the Wii U.

I plan to keep my Wii U hooked up to one of my TVs for many more months.

Zalman

Not me. I bought a Wii U a few months after launch and I got my money's worth. I also intend to keep it so I can continue to play Wii and Wii U games in the future.

I feel more betrayed by the millions of "gamers" who intentionally skipped out on gems such as Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101, Smash, MK8, Mario Maker, Xenoblade, etc.

Monocle

I bought very late into Wii U's life cycle as I do most consoles, so when I jumping in I was pleasantly surprised by the types and quality of games (being a PC gamer mostly) I had far too many games to play really, this is what hit me straight off, I was happy to say the least!

Super Mario Maker
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
Minecraft: Wii U Edition
Shovel Knight
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
NES Remix
New Super Mario Bros. U
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Rayman Legends
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Axiom Verge
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Steamworld Dig
Affordable Space Adventures
New Super Luigi U
Fast Racing Neo
Paper Mario
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Another World
Starfox
Hyrule Warriors
Animal Crossing
Lego City Undercover
Yoshi’s Wooly World
Wonderful 101
Yeah, the Wii U has a great library, and some of the best exclusives of the generation. It's always been a smart purchase for anyone who likes good games, particularly for PC gamers, since they already have access to a lot of the multiplat titles that are also on XB1 and PS4.

I feel more betrayed by the millions of "gamers" who intentionally skipped out on gems such as Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Wonderful 101, Smash, MK8, Mario Maker, Xenoblade, etc.
Yeah. Goes to show that really really good games just aren't enough to convince the general public to purchase a console.

JoeM86

As of right now, excluding third party games that they published in Japan such as Shovel Knight and Rayman Legends, or third party ones they put out in Europe/US such as Sonic and Monster Hunter, Nintendo have published 51 titles on the Wii U either Retail or Download (note: I only counted Wii Sports Club once and NES Remix 1 & 2 individually, not in the bundle)

This is the Wii U's 48th month.

On average that means Nintendo has published 1.0625 games a month on the Wii U. That's actually not bad support at all. Granted, some suck like Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, but can we dispense with the narrative that Nintendo half-arsed support with this device?

AmyS

I'm not. I bought a Wii U this summer. Enjoying MK8, Bayo2 and Twilight Princess HD. My disappointment in Wii U happened long before I ever bought one, back in 2011-2012. (reveal, post reveal, launch). In the end, there were enough games I wanted to play to justify the hardware. Never liked the Gamepad at all, but its the games that matter.

I'll likely buy Switch at launch, or at least when Breath of the Wild is out.

You just need to compare it to Sony's treatment of Vita to see that Nintendo took care of what little username they had. They just didn't have an army of third parties to back them up.

To be fair to Sony, if all the big first party WiiU games were selling under 100K units like the first party Vita games, Nintendo would have abandoned development a long time ago, too. As it stand their big titles were still reliable multi million sellers no matter how small the WiiU install base was.

Im honestly happy with the library of games we got for it, it got the best support it could and nintendo should move on to making sure the switch is a big hit instead of relying of just staying with the Wii U

Kouriozan

I like the games that was released on it but I'll never be able to forgot those long and awful drought between each games.
The DKC Tropical Freeze -> Mario Kart 8 one especially hurt me so much.

Piotrek

I'm very happy with my Wii U, still a crapload of games to play, and with homebrew for vWii it's probably the only device (except the PC) that allows me to play virtually every game released on a Nintendo system ever. My Wii U is definitely staying - amazing value, all things considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom