• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hype level check for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Newlove

Was hyped until multiplayer and Zombies reveal came to show no originality whatsoever. Also after playing the beta, I'm not on board this year after a return to random and chaotic gunplay rather than controlled chaos (first time skipping a CoD release).

The campaign looked really cool but the beta totally killed my hype. It was a complete letdown compared to Black Ops 3, which managed to sell me a CoD when I hadn't bought one in years and had no interest in buying one. Maybe I'll Redbox it for the campaign, but between Overwatch, Battlefield 1, and Titanfall 2, I really have no more room for a multiplayer shooter on my plate.

2cool

Banned
I loved the Modern Warfare games, next to the Campaign and Multiplayer I also played Spec Ops and Survival (it was on all MP Maps) a lot. Black Ops 2 was also great fun for me and still is.

Advanced Warfare and Black Ops 3 were not that enjoyable to me. Now I tried the Infinite Warfare beta and played it to level 35, I think its pretty amazing. Only issue I have is the maps are totally forgettable. If I play a videogame I want to be taken to some cool locations, like the luxury Yacht in BO2. Like the excellent MW3 DLC Maps...

So next to Survival Mode again missing in IW, I see no point in spending countless hours on those Maps we have seen so far. Its a videogame. I want some cool locations to escape from reality a few hours a week.... So thats why I am probably not buying it.

Tho the price in PSN of $99 for both games with season pass is actually not that bad. You would even only pay $85 right now with the current Promotion.

knitoe

People acknowledging its not a good game but still buying it...you do know you're part of the problem, right? :)

Kinda same with people who are buying it just for MWR. I mean, I know you want MWR, but this is sending the wrong message in the area where it counts the most: sales. So, if it works, and IW sells a ton even if it's rated poorly by critics and shooter fans, will mean Activision will know how to manipulate gamers.

Re-release MW2 with anything they're not confident about, and it'll do well. Sound marketing strategy if ever. Just saying that "vote with your wallet" thing should apply to games that deserve it.

But yeah, people are definitely free to do what they want to do and such. But don't be surprised if Acti does it again next time -- least of all, don't complain if MW2R is tucked away again.

I bough the Legacy for MWR. Sure, publicly, Activision can say IW was successful, but internally, they damn well can tell why it was, whether if the Legacy bundle being the best seller and/or online multiplayer numbers of the two. Personally, I hope Acti gets the message and goes back to "boots on the ground only" gameplay.

T.O.P

Banned
No interest whatsoever, disliked the beta and the originality of this game seems to be near null

Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 are my picks for this winter's fps sessions

I enjoy the BLOPS 3 multiplayer more then the IW multiplayer, and I mainly play COD games for their multiplayer, so no reason to get it. I am interested in the remaster, but not for €80.

Frostman

As others have said, I've got a good feeling about the single player Campaign.

Really disliked the beta though, so won't touch the MP.

ViciousDS

Banned
Campaign could be good....will at least check that out

The multiplayer after that beta? Man.......no fucking way am I touching that. So glad MWR is there to fall back on.

Daffy Duck

Day one because of:

A) Getting it for £39.99 (thanks Argos)
B) Modern Warfare Remastered
C) I suspect the campaign will be good

I was totally turned off from the beta because it seemed like a poor clone of BO3, the movement system that feels fluid and slick in BO3 feels clunky and unresponsive in this.

I will probably give it a try at launch just for a few hours just to see if it's different and then I will probably come back around Christmas time after some patches maybe come out with tweaks/changes just to see.

I will await to see how they change up the salvage and weapons in supply drops as well, because I got burnt on that by BO3, I don't trust the state of the game currently will be it's final form, Activision will have some aggressive cash grab in there whether that's on release or added later we will have to wait and see.

I'm happy though I will get to play MW:R.

Reaz

Neo Member
I will wait until Activision will sale mw remasterd seperatly.
Titanfall 2 is my choose this autumn.

d00d3n

Some hype after the decent E3 demo. Only the singleplayer stuff interests me, though. I have it pre-ordered since a couple of months back.

KrisB

After playing (and loving) BF1, I have lost all interest in playing another shooter. There is simply no need to.

+1

BF1 will give me my fix, I don't get an awful lot of time for gaming these days so can't justify getting many other games in the same genre at the same time.

SeeThree

The biggest dislike from the "beta" was the aim assist sniper bs.

Some lobbys I just got instagib rail gunned over and over. That shit is the WORST.

I played COD4 and MW2 on PC so I never experienced Infinity Ward console sniper assist.

They said they nerfed it some and will nerf it more on release but i was getting kill cams Sunday night where people sprint, scope, and pop I'm dead point blank before my 4th bullet can get them. Its just dude runs at me eats 3 bullets aint no thang, then zoom and kill at the same time quarter of a second.

I got dropped more times in this beta with that stupid longbow sniper than 17days of BO3 by a huge margin. (if they do anything less than copy BO3 sniper stats I will regret the purchase)

I understand COD4 had the railgun snipers on x360 so keep that true to its roots but PLEASE turn the aim assist nonsense off for Infinite Warfare. I'm hyped for the new game. I like the new guns, sounds effects, and maps. I even like Frontier now that got the layout down.

I swear they turned up footsteps somewhere during the beta too. I felt I couldn't hear a teammate after he turned a corner right next to me on day one. On the final day I pre fired on some enemy's coming at me.

I don't play CoD. I've only played Modern Warfare 1 and 2 and only really liked the campaigns. Watching some of the multiplayer beta footage, I actually like the look of Infinite Warfare. A lot of what I saw as complaints weren't really an issue for me (a lot of "This is overpowered!" complaints about so many different things that it actually sounds like it's pretty balanced). Only stuff like netcode potentially being an issue sounded like the only obvious bad thing.

Not going to buy it anyway because I have no money and don't really play multiplayer stuff, but it's still the first CoD I've liked the look of in a while.

Keasar

I am very interested in the campaign, I still think that CoD campaigns can be fun to play after Advanced Warfare turned out to be the best since Modern Warfare 1.

However, they really gotta impress the shit out of me if I would buy it at launch price since I probably won't touch the multiplayer.

Otherwise I'll just wait for a sale or until Sledgehammer announce their next game.

Campaign looking great, MP let me down big time, same as Titanfall in terms of what it did to my hype. Gamesharing with my brother though so we went halves, so 45 euros for IW SP, MWR MP+SP is good enough for me.

Shock32

Hype Level is about 5/10 and waiting for reviews. I don't see myself investing a lot of time into the MP and i'm debating spending $80 for two campaigns. However maybe it will knock it out of the park with reviews/impressions.

I'm hyped for the Infinite Warfare Campaign, always liked space games. Also really want to re-experience Modern Warfare in its full glory.

Will probably pick up Infinite Warfare on the same day as I trade-in my old PS4 for a PS4 Pro, so I can experience both games in full glorious 4K+HDR.

iHaunter

Not expecting much, the "Space" aspect looks like it'll be on rails and limited like Battlefront is in many ways.

I'll wait for SQ42 for space-esque FPS. Or maybe next Mass Effect.

Isurus

Zero hype for me. I've returned to Battlefield with the latest iteration and it is glorious. Great change of pace from COD. At this point, I'm just burned out of the COD series. I'm more likely to get Titanfall 2 after B1 than I am COD this year.

Mik2121

Got tired of scifi shooters for now until something really impressive comes. Battlefield 1's WWI is quite welcome though. I haven't bought any BF before and I was always a COD player up to Advanced Warfare, which I barely played and was what made me get tired of COD for a while (Ghost was even worse though). If they go back to Modern Warfare 1 technology level or even older, then I would probably go back, I don't like all the jetpacks and people flying around in this series.

Bumhead

Banned
Ridiculously hyped for Modern Warfare Remastered. I'm more excited to play that than any other shooter this year. Especially since it turned out from the PS4 early access copies that the remaster is legit.

Mentally I've just flipped the deal Activision are offering. In my head I'm paying full price for Modern Warfare Remastered and the bonus extra content is the Infinite Warfare campaign. Cautiously optimistic for that.

I'll likely never touch the IW multiplayer and think MW:R will be the only COD I need until either MW2:R or the main series goes back to older warfare. Despite not buying it myself, yet, I hope Battlefield 1 sells well enough that it influences Activision to revisit WW2 and/or 1.

thatJohann

I've never been less hyped for a COD game. I only buy them for SP campaigns. Still, decided to try the MP beta on XBO and it turned me off so much. I'm skipping it.

Gaz_RB

Multiplayer is not that fun, but they balanced that by packaging it with the GOAT.

Campaign looks fun and I've liked all the trailers. Space combat!!

Haven't really been interested in any CoDs since MW2, but actually legit looking forward to this. (Campaign only though, I've never really enjoyed the trademark low TTK).

So probably gonna wait until it's on sale and buy it just for the single player

Ensoul

I had hype for the game (as I do for every COD that comes out) until I played the beta. Glad they had the beta because it saved me from wasting 80 bucks on this mess of a game. This is coming someone who has played every COD since COD 2.

The one cod I buy and everyone already hates it damn

Don't worry it will still sell a billion copies so there will be no shortage of players.

inki

Once I played the beta I found myself getting tired of the game after only about 4-6 hours. I realized it felt TOO much like Blops 3. As in, simply re-skinned with a few tweaks in the menu's (scrap, experimental guns, etc). I spent enough time in Blops 3.

I rented BF1 last Friday and while I disliked it in the beta I fell in love with the finished product. I went into Best Buy Sat and cancelled my COD pre-order and picked up BF1.

So unless something crazy awesome was hidden I doubt I'll pick it up at all. I do have TF2 to grab on Friday so splitting my time between 2 shooters will be hard enough. Gladly these 2 games are TOTALLY different shooter types.

Unfortunate but I wont be picking it up. Will be the first COD i've skipped, ever. MP betas were pretty messy and while i actually dig the maps and more grounded enhanced movement... the network issues, jank, weapon/crate system and monetization of it all turn me off completely.

I'd purchase MW:R in a heartbeat if it was standalone. Will wait for that to happen and play the superior "future" FPS in the meantime... Titanfall 2.

This beta was the first cod game I didn't enjoy playing. Terrible connections, lag comp and the rigs are stupid and in typical new IW fashion the games unbalanced.

I would just cancel my preorder but I need that modern warfare remastered goodness.

etrain911

Anecdotally the hype is near anemic within my group of friends who buy the release every year. They're the kind of guys who only play CoD and Halo too. I know I couldn't possibly be less interested if not for the remaster.

I bought the Legacy for MWR. Sure, publicly, Activision can say IW was successful, but internally, they damn well can tell why it was, whether if the Legacy bundle being the best seller and/or online multiplayer numbers of the two. Personally, I hope Acti gets the message and goes back to "boots on the ground only" gameplay.

about that..

Top Bottom