• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

kirblar

I disagree. Not only this is a very ignorant way to describe the story, ee are just seeing the repercussions of him getting OFA out of nowhere. The fact that so many people see that Mirio deserved OFA more than Deku shows that Deku has to prove he is worthy.
It's not. He learns he's quirkless at 4 years old, and then for 10 years he doesn't learn to adapt to reality. Be a cop, be a firefighter, etc. He wants something wholly unachievable and got Bakugou attacked as a direct result of his clingy obsessiveness. It was off-putting to me.

Luckily, there are a lot of other characters who are much more relatable!

NSESN

Well, he does learn to live with it. He was about to give up and become a police man once he got his need to rescue atleast one person (Bakugo with the slime dude) out of his system, and it's then that All Might gave him the quirk.
I agree

It's not. He learns he's quirkless at 4 years old, and then for 10 years he doesn't learn to adapt to reality. Be a cop, be a firefighter, etc. He wants something wholly unachievable and got Bakugou attacked as a direct result of his clingy obsessiveness. It was off-putting to me.

Luckily, there are a lot of other characters who are much more relatable!
How Bakugou getting attacked his fault? He was just told to kill himself by the same Bakugou and attacked bya villain. When he met his idol he just wanted someone say something nice to him once. AM ignored him so he clinged in the last "leg" of hope left. And even after AM said no, he peacefully accepted.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mirio getting the quirk instead of Deku opens a can of worms. Would All Might have become a teacher in the freshman class or become a teacher in Mirio's? Would USJ have still happened? I thought it might not but then I remembered that the whole ruse was to get All Might to show up, which if he was a teacher in Mirio's grade he still would have ran to get there to save the freshmans. The League would attack the freshman group who are weaker. Attacking Mirio's grade who are more experienced closer to pro's would be incredibly unlikely. All Might would have already passed on the quirk so he would be on his finite embers by then. Mirio would likely be with Nighteye interning. Tsuyu and Mineta would have died. All Might would have died because of Shigaraki (the delay when he switched to Deku gave enough time apparently for Snipes too shoot even if Deku's leap should have been instant).. Todoroki would have never had an attitude change. Iida would have died at the hands of Stain.

Meffer

tumblr_ow58ytWYMg1tfsd54o1_500.png

Seesaw15

Sigh, looks like there's gonna be some last minute power up for Overhaul. I guess they didn't want to give Deku an easy W by finishing off Miro's work....I just want this arc to end.

Seesaw15

Spoiler discussion isn't common here.

This and the One Piece thread kind of blur together in my mind. Won't happen again.

RbmftfJ.png

As far as the chapter goes I'm glad Rock Lock got some characterization. I'm curious what his younger wife's quirk is. Since Horikoshi a fan of western comics I wonder if he'd go for a lighting/electricity based quirk as a homage.

I'm glad Tsuyu and Uraraka at least got a panel before the arc was over. Hopefully Horikoshi got something planned for Uraraka that isn't a cat fight with Toga for Deku's love.

Everything else is kind of unexciting. The 11th hour transformation for Overhaul is kind of lame. I just want this arc to be over and see how everyone deals with the aftermath.

Good Chapter

Really liked how Deku just straight up went and punch Overhaul without hesitation(did the same to Stain).
Also happy we got some backstory on Rock Lock, he's not a bad guy after all.
Overhaul final form looks cool, interested to know what it will do.

I want to know what toga and twice are going to do now, tbh. And i can see Overhaul escaping this fight in the end, doubt he ends like All for One.

I want to know what toga and twice are going to do now, tbh. And i can see Overhaul escaping this fight in the end, doubt he ends like All for One.

Overhaul always felt like he'd make a good addition to a real rogue's gallery for Deku. Can't just be Shiragaki and the VA, this is a cape comic!

I've half a prediction he sheds the mass of the guy he just absorbed, making it look like it's him, fooling the heroes long enough for Overhaul to get away.

LotusHD

Banned
Everything else is kind of unexciting. The 11th hour transformation for Overhaul is kind of lame. I just want this arc to be over and see how everyone deals with the aftermath.

Same. He transformed, and I'm literally thinking to myself...

latest

Like he did a cool thing, but I'm just indifferent at this point. That said, I did love the visual of him briefly dismantling himself, I love when he does that.

Overhaul always felt like he'd make a good addition to a real rogue's gallery for Deku. Can't just be Shiragaki and the VA, this is a cape comic!

Yeah, i like the idea of more recognizable forces of evil. Makes for more interesting dynamics.

I swear some people are kind of reading the Sternritter arc in bleach with the comments and the overall dissatisfaction with MHA in gaf lol. Come on, a couple of pacing issues in the middle aren't enough to bum me out of this crazy ride.

NSESN

latest

Like he did a cool thing, but I'm just indifferent at this point. That said, I did love the visual of him briefly dismantling himself, I love when he does that.
While I agree that I want to see the aftermath quickly. I disagree that it is unexciting. It is a much better way to end the arc than Deku quickly finishing off Overhaul and robbing Mirio's spotlight.
Still I don't expect a long fight, next chapter should be enough to end this.
Yeah, i like the idea of more recognizable forces of evil. Makes for more interesting dynamics.

I swear some people are kind of reading the Sternritter arc in bleach with the comments and the overall dissatisfaction with MHA in gaf lol. Come on, a couple of pacing issues in the middle aren't enough to bum me out of this crazy ride.
I think the criticisms were right 5 chapters ago. Now the pacing is good. In 4 chapters we had Mirio's fight, Deku arriving and Overhaul using his final card to try win the fight.

Chase17

Rock Lock Redeemed.

Favorite panel was the Eri was behind Mirio since he has been protecting her. The Toga/Twice scenes were good.

I think I underestimated the scope of Chisaki's healing powers. Not too into his new form thing.

NSESN

I just understood why Overhaul went full chimera. He needs a way to fight while Aizawa erases his quirk. I thought it was just a "behold my final form" moment.

caliph95

But where is the metal Caliph, I need the metal
When he joins the league he's going to fuse himself with metal to heal himself and call himself Full metal

I can see why he knocked out Chrono, considering how much Mirio relies on his speed especially against someone like Overhaul who can rearrange the room plus the darts, chronic can fuc k him over

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I imagine the anime will take a year off and come back to cover the camp arc and the Rescue Bakugo arc ending the season on All Might vs All for One.

Veelk

Banned
I'm really looking forward to reading this arc when it's collected in volumes. Not only will the art be improved (I really want to see a detailed version of Overhaul's new form), but having them all in one go will improve the pacing of the story.

I don't dislike this arc, but I can't say that it hasn't been the most uneven arc in the series thus far. I like a lot of what we've got, but Horikoshi needs to work on pacing if he's going to expand his cast to this degree. It was fine before when it was a small number of people doing one singular thing, but there is so much going on here, to the point where he's had to have the narration keep going back in time to follow a different perspective doing something else.

I find it annoying and lacking in the briskness that the manga has been known for thus far.

NSESN

Talking about Chronos quirk, what if his seconds hand makes people faster intead of slower. It would explain why Overhaul is so quick.

I imagine the anime will take a year off and come back to cover the camp arc and the Rescue Bakugo arc ending the season on All Might vs All for One.

Taking a year off to only cover 25 chapters would be really disappointing.

caliph95

Talking about Chronos quirk, what if his seconds hand makes people faster intead of slower. It would explain why Overhaul is so quick.

Taking a year off to only cover 25 chapters would be really disappointing.
Considering Shigiraki is basically there flash at times I think overhaul is just that quick

Though it would be interesting if he can control speed with his quirk

NSESN

Considering Shigiraki is basically there flash at times I think overhaul is just that quick

Though it would be interesting if he can control speed with his quirk

Yep, I also think his head is a clock, just like Tokoyami's head is a bird head and Manga guy from 1B is a speech bubble. That can explain why Overhaul needed to fix his head after he was hit.

I'm really looking forward to reading this arc when it's collected in volumes. Not only will the art be improved (I really want to see a detailed version of Overhaul's new form), but having them all in one go will improve the pacing of the story.

I don't dislike this arc, but I can't say that it hasn't been the most uneven arc in the series thus far. I like a lot of what we've got, but Horikoshi needs to work on pacing if he's going to expand his cast to this degree. It was fine before when it was a small number of people doing one singular thing, but there is so much going on here, to the point where he's had to have the narration keep going back in time to follow a different perspective doing something else.

I find it annoying and lacking in the briskness that the manga has been known for thus far.

I think the arc is much better now that it is finishing off. Even when the arc was "bad" it wasn't really bad, he just needed to make the kirishima mini-arc shorter and improve the art(but that can be fixed in the volumes).
I do wonder if we are going to have more longer arcs like this in the future or we are going back to smaller arcs. I think I prefer smaller arcs. It is where MHA shines .

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

latest

Yeah, I'm mostly glad Overhaul did something other than his patented spikey floor attack. At the same time, I kind of have to go "Wut..."at the clock hand out of chrono's head and Overhaul turning into a big scary Goro. I don't think the series is jumping the shark here, but its certainly maybe drifting a little over there. Either way, I've kinda checked out of this arc now that Mirio is done. All that's left of interest for me is Toga and Twices antics when the assuredly
steal Eri and bring her to the alliance, where Eri grows up happy ever after with the cool kids for once

Also, to continue Mirio side of the story being the best and the only really good stuff for me at the end of this, I am 90% sure
Night Eye went into the plan knowing Mirio would lose his quirk.
The way he hugged Mirio was waaaaaaay more emotional than it should have been under oblivious circumstances.

Next season is getting to Deku vs Bakugo round 2 easily

I kind of hope they do an Attack on Titan season 2 and put all of their budgest into the Villian's assault and All Might vs OFA

Lunar15

Overhaul just isn't that interesting. Saving the girl isn't that interesting either. The hook of this arc is actually the bullets that remove quirks.

NSESN

Overhaul is as much interesting as Stain before we had his "you are all fake" speech. I mean both were villains that served as foils to make Shigaraki grow. The only difference that Overhaul final battle hasn't ended yet.

Overhaul just isn't that interesting. Saving the girl isn't that interesting either. The hook of this arc is actually the bullets that remove quirks.

i know it's to set all this up, but i really wish when they met in the alley deku had stood his ground and said we're saving this girl now, no matter what

that's a stain on their records that i'm probably not going to get over for the rest of this series

even when he becomes the #1 hero i'm always going to think back to that time he left a little girl in the hands of a villain because he didn't want to make a scene

Philippo

i know it's to set all this up, but i really wish when they met in the alley deku had stood his ground and said we're saving this girl now, no matter what

that's a stain on their records that i'm probably not going to get over for the rest of this series

even when he becomes the #1 hero i'm always going to think back to that time he left a little girl in the hands of a villain because he didn't want to make a scene

The point is, Deku too will always go back to that.

Top Bottom