• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explain Your Username

Status
Not open for further replies.
from the movie SHAFT

shaftposter1.jpg

Sobriquet

Truant said:
A character from the book 'House of Leaves'.
Awesome book. "House of Leaves" was a common interest between my wife and I when we met.

Mine just means name, obviously. It's what I wanted my Gamertag / PSN ID to be, but it was taken. So I went with "mind in rewind", a Plastikman song. For some reason. I thought it sounded kinda cool, I guess.

i was sorta lazy in picking my username, i use this name on a lot of sites
and its from frisky dingo :D one of my favorite adult swim shows "boosh!"
i'm sad there will be no 3rd season, its gone forever :'(

Despite obvious conclusions people jump to when looking at my name, it was actually a randomly generated name when I signed up for Xbox Live when it first came out.

The Boss

Neo Member
friskykillface said:
i was sorta lazy in picking my username, i use this name on a lot of sites
and its from frisky dingo :D one of my favorite adult swim shows "boosh!"
i'm sad there will be no 3rd season, its gone forever :'(

I love that show so funny xD... aww sucks ;_; no third season...its always a treat when I catch it on. I rarely see it. It was on last night though XD!

J@hranimo

Banned
Well...my name's Jahra, and I've had quite a few nicknames through different people, but one of my good friends thought of mixing my name and "Geronimo" together. I thought it sounded cool so I just put my name in place and voila! Jahranimo.

Um, I put the "@" sign because I registered here once before as jahranimo with an email I hadn't used in ages. So I just made that one.

On other forums I go by InaudibleWhisper. After Lost In Translation I was looking around online to try and find out what Bob whispered to Charlotte at the end. I think I read that the script or the subtitles just say "Inaudible Whisper" which I liked and used when next signing up to a site that required a username. It stuck.

I then signed up for Xbox Live and InaudibleWhisper was 1 character too long, so I used InaudibleWhispa. In hindsight I should have cut the 'h' out too because Cadbury's Wispa bars are quite lovely.

• City in Texas (Never been)
  • Home of NASA Mission Control (I really liked the movie Apollo 13 back in the mid 90s)
  • Houston 3 was a character in the racing game Vigilante 8 on the N64
It was originally my email address but instead of Houston3000 it was Houston with the year tacked on. Originally Houston98, then Houston99, then Houston2000. Sometime shortly after my Houston2000 email account got spam destroyed (lol hotmail) I made a new account called Houston3000 - it's stuck the last 8 years or so.

Retro

Waaaaaaaaaay back in 1998, I got banned from AOL :)lol) for saying 'fuck' on a Final Fantasy message board (I was hardcore). I forget what my name was before that, but when I was 'allowed' to come back, I tried a bunch of different names but most of them ended up as shit+Numbers (like "Bob10387121").

I had just kind of started learning about game design as an actual practice, and one of the things that I was hooked on at the time was studying older games, which I felt (and still feel) were more enjoyable because they didn't have extraneous features (graphics, music, etc.) to hook players, just fun.

So I put in "Retrogames" and it was accepted. Over time I got to be kind of a familar face at the message boards I posted at, and most people over time just shortened it to "Retro." Kind of been my internet nickname since.

AOL... holy shit, what a terrible service.

SpacLock

It's not SpaceLock since most people read it wrong. It's just SpacLock and it's taken from the Caps Lock key on my keyboard. Ultra lazy when it came to making a name.

Tunin

Mine's is a little peculiar. At first it seems like reference to car tuning, or tunin', or anything like that, but no.

When I was a kid, about my 11~12 years old I was transfered to one particular school that I knew no one but myself. My last name is Tonin, even thou I'm Brazilian my grand parents came from Italy and you can imagine the rest.
Tonin has hard to pronunciate and they started to call me Tunin, so why not adopt it? That's what I did.

Wickwire

Wickwire is a twilight zone reference. In the episode "Elegy" there is a android named wickwire. I love twilight zone, I love that episode and I loved his name.

Sanskrit

Rapstah said:
Wow, looking it up, apparently they're synonyms. :/

hah, I thought he meant pulka = sledgehammer.

If I should tell you guys about my name, I was lacking imagination at the time. I recently studied ancient litterature, and since I couldnt come up with anything else, I now go by Sanskrit.

Wikiquote: "Sanskrit is an historical Indo-Aryan language."

I sleep naked most of the time. Unless I'm in jail.
smurfx said:
this is the name i use for a few online accounts. nothing special to it. i had other smurf themed names and i decided to use smurf and i put an x at the end instead of an s. when i created it at another place the name was available so i ended up using it and at other places too like neogaf.
I used to use a similar name not too long ago. I really enjoyed the movie Citizen X, and I thought that the whole "Smurfs are communist" thing clashed with the "Citizen X" theme (since smurfs have vastly different individuals and their personality traits are a focal point of their series), so I used to go by "xmurf". I grew out of it eventually, mostly because of the "XXXXTREME" fad in the late 90's. Anyway, seeing your nick kind of brought a smile to my face. Cheers :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
GDGF=GanonDorf Goes Fishing.

It's an old joke (I've had this username for over ten years)

It's a clever combination of

hidden09.jpg

and

41BY9ZMysDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and now you know.

Because although I deign to display refined opinions/tastes within an overarching decorum, I actually enjoy nothing more than an evening at home playing Wii Sports Resort whilst masturbating in a pile of my own faeces.

ATF487

ATF: Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. I also had this game called Advanced Tactical Fighters. Both those things are cool.
487: Nonsense. I think I used to have 486, because I had a 486 laptop for some reason, and then I forgot the password and added 1 to it.

400px-khan.jpg

It came about when i was trying to decide on my PSN ID. Most of the good names that i could think of were taken, and i was trying to think of something original, something that no one else would have thought of already. It struck me that i was looking for an original idea, an original thought, original thinking! That and i've always been fond of The Wrath Of Khan despite not being a big Star Trek fan. I remember Kirk saying he'd been given a commendation for original thinking after he reprogrammed the simulator on the Kobayashi Maru! Yes i am that sad......... maybe i should change my avatar to the shat?

Fox the Sly

My name originated as FoxHound_(clan tag) of Metal Gear fame. I was a big Metal Gear Solid fan and had the idea to use the name as a sort of allusion for the "one man army" title when I was heavy into Quake 3 clans back in 2000. FoxHound was a little unoriginal, so I decided I wanted a different tag. But I was already used to being called "Fox" so I wanted to keep that. Then, I played Skies of Arcadia and as I progressed through the game I started unlocking titles for Vyse, so I figured I'd use that template. So I chose "Fox the Sly" which fit very well and the rest is history.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I couldn't think of a name and wanted to use my real one, then my inner self smacked me over the head and told me to look around. Found my old gameboy lying there, didn't have Tetris in it but thought of it anyway and was reminded of how much I love that game.

The extra ''e'' is for originality =)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I went into the future to find out that I would get my thread creation privileges taken away and I knew I was going to be left MThanded(empty handed)(also MT are my initials)

SmokyDave

MThanded said:
I went into the future to find out that I would get my posting privileges taken away and I knew I was going to be left MThanded(empty handed)(also MT are my initials)
You've seen your own banning? It was bad enough that you got busted down to junior and stopped making all those awesome threads :(

bjork

I used to be a big bjork fan. I'd actually like to change it, but I guess people would give me grief like they do when I change my avatar, so I just leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom