• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have microtransactions just been removed from SW Battlefront 2? No, I’m serious...

Macrotus

I'm curious if EA really thought gamers would give in to this type of P2W.

I don't think micro transaction is bad as long as you stay away from P2W.
Just let players by cosmetic stuff.

Its Starwars.
Theres lots of ways to make cosmetic stuff look appealing to Starwars fans.

Wednesday

Neo Member
I'm curious if EA really thought gamers would give in to this type of P2W.

I don't think micro transaction is bad as long as you stay away from P2W.
Just let players by cosmetic stuff.

Its Starwars.
Theres lots of ways to make cosmetic stuff look appealing to Starwars fans.

Pushing the boundaries of microtransactions to see where they could take them.

I predict eventually EA will move to a model where there are no microtransactions at all for the first 2 weeks after launch. Enough time for reviews to go out, and early purchases to happen, and then BOOM LOOTBOX CITY. They can bait and switch, make a few million and then just apologize about "not realizing this would anger fans" and then not change anything. Rinse repeat with each yearly release.
Great way to do long term damage to a brand.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After what EA done to Dead Space I wont buying any of their games. Thankfully I don't care for either Star War series or the MP games so its easy for me to ignore this game completely. Also EA, Ubisoft and Activision haven't made any game that I want to play, so I don't really have to deal with their shitty business practice.

I have to concede, I am tempted to buy this.
Im so bored of Overwatch, the current CoD WW2 setting doesnt interest me and I could go out now and buy this for $60 at the shop (which is cheap here in Aus).
Its just the pay to win mechanic and the possibility of the player base getting split into different groups because of it (splitting an already small local player base is very bad) that concerns me.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
It’s a great game and I have not once worried about transactions or crystals or pay to win. Glad they removed it, but there is a great game here and I would hate for people to miss out. Rent it and see for yourself.

It’s a great game and I have not once worried about transactions or crystals or pay to win. Glad they removed it, but there is a great game here and I would hate for people to miss out. Rent it and see for yourself.

The MP progression is still dogshit it seems since you need to grind for lootboxes and open them and hope you get the right stuff for what you are playing.

Yeah no thanks, if it had normal progression i might had gotten it though. I want to level up my weapons and classes by using them in the games. Not using cards i rolled for.

TannerDemoz

Haha, no it is quite obvious to any unbiased person who has played the game. :)
I must say that I don't really understand what the big deal is to begin with.

Playing games are about just that; playing. Why does it matter so much if you win or lose? Isn't the real point of playing just to have fun while you are doing so? So the main question should obviously be if you think the actual game is fun to play or not?

This is also a team based competitive game so if one or two players on your team have some kind of advantage, odds are that there are similarly advantaged players on the opposing team. Which makes the match fair.

And even without the microtransactions there will always be people who play the game 10 times more than most other people do (who don't have that kind of free time). And those people who have the time will instead be the people with the unfair advantage.

The truth, whether people want to accept it or not, is that time is money. And some people have more of one or the other than others do. Why should we be biased?

I must say that I don't really understand what the big deal is to begin with.

Playing games are about just that; playing. Why does it matter so much if you win or lose? Isn't the real point of playing just to have fun while you are doing so? So the main question should obviously be if you think the actual game is fun to play or not?

This is also a team based competitive game so if one or two players on your team have some kind of advantage, odds are that there are similarly advantaged players on the opposing team. Which makes the match fair.

And even without the microtransactions there will always be people who play the game 10 times more than most other people do (who don't have that kind of free time). And those people who have the time will instead be the people with the unfair advantage.

The truth, whether people want to accept it or not, is that time is money. And some people have more of one or the other than others do. Why should we be biased?

Perhaps you and many other people have unrealistic expectations? You don't get this much potential entertainment and value for $60 in other areas of life. A few drinks in a bar cost the same amount for example, a nice dinner does too.

The amount of high quality content at launch and the amount of money and work behind it is really quite staggering. And the fact the all the DLC will be free is even more so. So why should the option for people with less time in their lives to skip ahead in their game be such a huge detriment to these facts?

Can we all take a moment to appreciate that EA has probably made an account just to justify their actions.

Screw EA I’m still not buying it.
yep..
sorry but if you want to go for the microtransaction route, your game has to be F2P or very close to F2P..
see for example gw2 a subsription-less mmo that you have to buy just the game in itself..
or other games like lol//dota2//whatever where the game is free and you can pay the optional stuff (skins and whatnot) in cold cash..
but that's that..
any full-priced game with cosmetic lootbox or even worst a full-priced game with game content in lootboxes is a big "nope" for me...
From my point of view, you're (we are) being milked.. and while I'm glad that you can enjoy a game while being milked, but it's not my case..
peace ;)

CJY

Banned
Yuppp I’m boycotting EA personally. They’re worse than Ubisoft at their worst.

Titanfall 3? I’m out.

amdb00mer

Lots of blaming going on. I read an article that said Disney/Lucasfilm pushed for the microtransactions and for them to be more than cosmetic. This would only be believable if Disney would be getting a cut of the revenue from the microtransactions. Just like everybody else, I'm willing to blame EA due to their crappy history with monetization in their games. However, if it turned out to be true that Disney/Lucasfilm had a hand in the decision of how the microtransactions were implemented I don't know what I would think at that point.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I would actually be interested in how many where actually going to buy the game and not bought it vs the hype of the moment in "I'm not buying it."

its a good game and hope they take out the pay to win aspect of it

at the moment I play on xbox and can always find full games all the time so it must of shifted a fair few copies, I wonder how quick the drop off point will be if so many are not buying the game.

if all that makes sense lol

amdb00mer

I would actually be interested in how many where actually going to buy the game and not bought it vs the hype of the moment in "I'm not buying it."

at the moment I play on xbox and can always find full games all the time so it must of shifted a fair few copies, I wonder how quick the drop off point will be if so many are not buying the game.

What's funny is the people that did buy the game on day one and play it will actually level up and earn cards and such. Then when it goes on sale it will get a lot of new buyers, but they will come into a game with people that are already at a high skill level and have lots of cards. This will eventually lead to people still thinking people did pay to win when it really is just the people that stuck with it and played on day one and have leveled up through normal progression and buying loot crates with earned in-game currency.

lefty1117

Gold Member
The game itself is quite good, jaw dropping graphics and sound, tons to unlock and card combos etc. If they would have just made the crystals usable loot boxes that unlock cosmetic stuff, crafting parts, and credits, probably would have been fine. I think there has been a bit of overreaction on all this if I'm honest - most of the good stuff in game has to be crafted or unlocked via in-game achievements. But probably the right call for them to remove the crystals with all the blowback; now people can just appreciate the game and not have to worry about all that noise. I highly recommend the game itself.

royox

What's funny is the people that did buy the game on day one and play it will actually level up and earn cards and such. Then when it goes on sale it will get a lot of new buyers, but they will come into a game with people that are already at a high skill level and have lots of cards. This will eventually lead to people still thinking people did pay to win when it really is just the people that stuck with it and played on day one and have leveled up through normal progression and buying loot crates with earned in-game currency.

Matchmaking is supposed...SUPPOSED...to match you with people near your rank.

amdb00mer

Matchmaking is supposed...SUPPOSED...to match you with people near your rank.

I know. It will be interesting to see what happens after Black Friday. At least it's not Activision and their new patents, that they swear they are not using.

Ubername

Banned
EA CEO Andrew Wilson stands resolute...

KG20UWL.gif

Lol, that's great but that scene is so poorly acted.

Fbh

I mean, it's Star Wars and it had a pretty big marketing budget. Something like this was never going to affect sales to the point of having empty servers (specially early on).
EA isn't worried about not making money from this, they are worried about making less money than anticipated.

As a purely anecdotal experience. The store where I work at also sells games , and compared to other big releases like COD or Assassin's Creed there hasn't been as much interest in Battlefront 2. On launch week we were selling at least 10 copies of Assassin's Creed every day and star wars has been more like 3-4.
Of courses that isn't proof of anything but it caught my attention.

Top Bottom