• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice dated in Japan for 3/7/2013, includes limited edition Vita

Gunsmithx

hmm.. if I import this I only need to change the language to English and then it's just like the us vita's and US psn? really thinking of importing this.

Imo the graphics are very good but not as good as someone says, but comparing those to mh 3ds is incredibly ridiculous, and imo ss is not even a mh clone.

How is it not a MH clone? I haven't seen many MH 3DS pictures since I don't really like the MH franchise outside of sales age, hence why I asked. The graphics in this game look pretty bad to me. Would be interesting to have a side by side picture comparison in order to compare the graphics.

Did you have interest in the game to begin with? If yes, then maybe it can be a bit bad for you (since you then lost interest a game you first wanted to play). If you had no interest in the game to begin with, then it shouldnt matter much in my opinion.

Considering I disliked MH and this is SCEJ's MH clone, not really, but was/am willing to give it a chance.

Mario007

How is it not a MH clone? I haven't seen many MH 3DS pictures since I don't really like the MH franchise outside of sales age, hence why I asked. The graphics in this game look pretty bad to me. Would be interesting to have a side by side picture comparison in order to compare the graphics.

Considering I disliked MH and this is SCEJ's MH clone, not really, but was/am willing to give it a chance.
That's like saying Crysis is a COD clone...

Maedhros

Does this have A.I. players?

Also is there only the one super attack when sacrificing another player or others?

I think there many. Remember when the game was announced?? They said you could remove your freaking spine to create Exculibur.

Don't worry man. MH3G looks miles better. The 3DS is a technical beast, of course it's games would look better.

test_account

XP-39C²
How does Soul Sacrifice play? You create your character and have different powers, but is there a linear story somehow? That you go from level to level?

Then it probably isnt that bad that you dont find Soul Sacrifice to look boring. I have hardly played any Monster Hunter games, so i cant say much how Soul Sacrifice compares to MH.

shink

This game looks so good and I don't usually like this kind of artstyle. Now if only I had friends with PSV's...

crinale

zZHGf.jpg

Japanese demo available tomorrow.

Sid

Even then, I think you can just use a US account, right? Accounts aren't region locked for physical media are they?
Physical media is region free but DLC is locked to the game's region code so you MAY be able to prevent that by using a different region account.

softie

Even then, I think you can just use a US account, right? Accounts aren't region locked for physical media are they?

But DLC is locked to the appropriate version of the game. So if you have a US version, you need to get US DLC. If you have JP version, you need to get JP DLC. That's why you need the right account.
There are some exceptions regarding PEGI version of a game though. If you have PEGI, then you can get DLC from all EU accounts on condition that the content is available there.

Damn, every time I'm looking at gameplay I'm amazed about those awesome magic attacks. Rock boulder spinning, mega fist, friggin' huge stone golem, fire/ice/wood/stone stuff and this awesome time stop. Holy shit, this gonna be delicious!

This actually looks way better than MH4, also this game has a story. Watch it sell 1/10 of MH4. :D

Can someone explain to me exactly what this game is? I love my Vita, and am always looking for more games to play on it, but if this game is just killing 'boss' monsters over and over again, then I'm not sure if I would be interested. So, what exactly is Soul Sacrifice?

shink

But as you mentioned - it's difficult to have friends with handhelds nowadays. Which is why I'm very happy Sony is pushing for online play more than Nintendo is.
Yeah that's true. I seldom play online games on my PS3 (because it runs like crap) but maybe with the Vita it'll be better.

For importers, I think if a game comes with an online pass you may not be able to use the code in your local region?
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Sid

Yeah that's true. I seldom play online games on my PS3 (because it runs like crap) but maybe with the Vita it'll be better.

For importers, I think if a game comes with an online pass you may not be able to use the code in your local region?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Yup you need to use an account of that (import) region.

softie

Can someone explain to me exactly what this game is? I love my Vita, and am always looking for more games to play on it, but if this game is just killing 'boss' monsters over and over again, then I'm not sure if I would be interested. So, what exactly is Soul Sacrifice?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473468&page=19

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012...on-creating-the-ultimate-ps-vita-action-game/

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/21/soul-sacrifice-takes-tokyo-game-show/

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/08/24/hard-choices-inafune-talks-soul-sacrifice/

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/08/15/gamescom-2012-the-monsters-and-magic-of-soul-sacrifice/

This will answer all your questions. :)

This actually looks way better than MH4, also this game has a story. Watch it sell 1/10 of MH4. :D

I never liked MH, because it controls like ass and is so damn slow. This looks so much smoother and also plays in a really cool universe. Well it will sell less, but it will sell enough to keep on delivering great games. ;-)

DiscoJer

That really doesn't explain the really important part of the game, what sort of progression there is, what do you do when you aren't "hunting". How do you improve your character?

Monster Hunter is big because of the core gameplay, but it also has a extremely in depth gear system that is a huge time sink.

Pretty much every "clone" doesn't have anything that compares, and they don't sell nearly as well because there just isn't any lasting gameplay. (Only real exception being Phantasy Star Portable)

Bleep

I hope this game is able to maintain a solid frame-rate. It's hard to tell from internet videos how the game performs due to the nature of video compression and video capturing, but in a few videos it does seem like it's uneven and prone to dropping. I'm really hoping that it is just the videos themselves and not the game, it is disappointing when action games have performance issues.

softie

That really doesn't explain the really important part of the game, what sort of progression there is, what do you do when you aren't "hunting". How do you improve your character?

Monster Hunter is big because of the core gameplay, but it also has a extremely in depth gear system that is a huge time sink.

Pretty much every "clone" doesn't have anything that compares, and they don't sell nearly as well because there just isn't any lasting gameplay. (Only real exception being Phantasy Star Portable)

I think most of the basic stuff is pretty clear. You have a story around a slave under a dark sorcerer and that slave experiences former events and battles through an ancient magic book which actually is a demon. So it's pretty much event after event and the book functions as a hub for the story.
You improve characters (whose play style you choose at the beginning of the game) by sacrificing monsters/players and also gain magic by collecting resources or by the decisions you make (good/bad).

So I think the game is pretty straightforward and you know what to expect. You have a clear emphasis on story and a cool gameplay component around sacrificing everything around you. What else do you want to know?

I'm sure more info will be given out as we approach the release. The sacrifice part of the game will probably play a big role. But you shouldn't expect it to be just another monster hunter clone. From what Ive seen its anything but a simple clone.

Hmm, I figured Sony would drop the Vita price around the launch of this game. Console/game/8GB for 25,000 yen would have a chance of moving systems.

sphinx

the piano man
I had never seen footage from this game, it reminds me a lot of Castlevania: LOS, if I didn't now it isn't, I'd say it's actually a Castlevania game in a modern handheld.

yankee666

i Think someone needs to make a SS demo |OT|. We can post impressions and share Online IDs so we can play together online

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Soon I guess. Region changed! ponoponjp is my JP account if anyone wants to try it out whenever release is up.

Also screw this region switching process ahhhh.

Top Bottom