• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Zackat

redheadredemption55muao.png

Developer: Guerrilla Games
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Platform: Playstation 4
Release Date: 28th Feb (US), 1st Mar (EU)
Genre: Action Role-Playing
Download: ~42 GBS

Thanks to shinobi, from whom I stole all this info [OT1]

Beat the game and want to talk about the story unfiltered? Spoiler thread

hzdstory0aul8.png

In a lush, post-apocalyptic world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization, pockets of humanity live on in primitive hunter-gatherer tribes. Their dominion over the new wilderness has been usurped by the Machines – fearsome mechanical creatures of unknown origin.

1-224kpg.png
2-2mvka2.png

The story follows Aloy, an outcast of the Nora tribe. As an individual, Aloy is inquisitive, compassionate and brave. Strong and resourceful, she was raised by Rost, another outcast. She has a fascination with technology and embraces it, much to the dismay of Rost. Spurred by certain events in the game, Aloy sets out to discover her origins and the secrets of the past.

hzdgameplay6euty.png

Horizon: Zero Dawn is an open world action RPG. You play as Aloy, an outcast of the Nora tribe, as she ventures forth to discover the mysteries of the world, as well as pursue her own agendas. On her journey, Aloy encounters a vast ecosystem of mechanical wildlife, wondrous robots each fulfilling a niche in an endless process, their goal a secret to everyone. These machines are both an obstacle and a resource to Aloy. Each machine is a source of materials for improving and sustaining Aloy's armor and arsenal. Whether it be collecting wire to create cables for her traps or tracking down rare parts to create new weapons, each machine is important if Aloy wants to survive the wilderness.

3-2p3kx5.png
4-270kqb.png

Beyond hunting machines, there is plenty to do in Horizon to keep players entertained. Whilst boasting a meaty main quest line, the game also features a wide variety of side content. Tribe quests help Aloy learn more about the tribes that populate the world, hunter trials help the player learn new ways to fight and to test out new strategies, corruption zones and bandit camps offer challenges for the player to clear the zones of enemies, and finally there are the cauldrons, a unique dungeon style environment where the player must put their skills to the test to recieve powerful rewards.

Throughout the course of the game, Aloy gains levels which allow you to customize her appearance, her skills, stats, weapon effectiveness, damage modifiers, etc. Looting fallen enemies and tracking down resources in the environment yield components for further crafting.

2260slu.png
333ls5s.png

hzdcombathduhh.png

Aloy is no slouch when it comes to fighting. An agile archer, she has deadly aim and the athleticism to easily weave throughout the battlefield. She comes armed with a wide variety of ranged weapons, traps, and her trusty spear. Throughout her adventure, you'll
increase her toolkit by crafting new weapons from the machine parts you collect. Aloy's main weapon of choice is her bow. The game offers a wide variety of bows, each coming with it's own forms of ammo. Ammo differs by damage type, all of which are tailored
for fighting different machines. Fire arrows and Ice arrows apply elemental damage, whilst Tear based weaponry is designed for ripping off machine components such as weaponry and armour plating. Many more elements exist in the game waiting for you to experiment
with. Aloy also has access to other ranged weapons to supplement her bow.

d2wjxJA.gif
26gsc53OFEmOHZGlW.gif

The Ropecaster is a tool that allows Aloy to pin down machines and leash them to a spot, whilst the Tripcaster allows her to set tripwire traps to get the drop on unaware machines. She also has access to many more weapons, each with their own specific niche.

Whilst Aloy shines at ranged combat, even the most prepared huntress runs out of ammo eventually. For those moments, Aloy comes ready with her trusty spear. With a combination of light and heavy attacks Aloy is able to dispatch smaller enemies without
needing to waste resources, as well as stealthily striking unaware machines, and critically striking machines that she's managed to temporarily disabled.

COMBAT: THE MACHINES

The world of Horizon Zero Dawn is inhabited by machines of all shapes and sizes. Terrifyingly alien yet strikingly familiar, these mysterious automatons combine mechanical strength with organic features and an animalistic ferocity. These are just a handful of the deadly machines you'll encounter along your journey.

Thunderjaw

11fjsqp.png
127esd4.png

13u4s17.png

Snapmaw

147jsjb.png
154hsrm.png

162ls54.png

Behemoth

17vusqd.png
18les70.png

19s9sfm.png

Stormbird

20i9ser.png
22-299sjm.png

21xpsk1.png

hzdmediaj9u2m.png

hzdscreenshotsdkuj2.png

Taken randomly from the screenshot thread

Bonus: SunhiLegend gifs

hzdeditionsc6uce.png

horizon-zero-dawn-pre-order-bonuses-standard-edition-box-art-01-ps4-us-02jun16

Retail- $59.99 : The standard edition of the game is just that, standard. You get the disc!

61bKhM%2BlDzL.jpg

Retail - $69.99 : The Digital Deluxe Edition of the game comes with:

• Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Game
  • The Art of Horizon Zero Dawn Digital Art Book
  • Exclusive PS4 Theme
  • In-Game DLC Items: Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and Mighty Bow, Banuk Trailblazer Outfit and Culling Bow, Banuk Traveller Pack, Carja Trapper Pack, Nora Keeper Pack

91MAuNi5UkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Retail - $119.99 : The Collector's Edition of the game comes with the following:

• Copy of Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Special Steelbook case
  • 9" ALOY Statue by Gentle Giant
  • 48 Page Art Book
  • Voucher for exclusive PS4 Dynamic Theme.
  • In-Game DLC Items: Carja Storm Ranger Armor, Carja Striker Bow, Carja Trader Pack, Banuk Trailblazer Armor, Banuk Culling Bow, Banuk Traveler Pack, Nora Keeper Pack, Nora Machine Trapper Pack

hzdfaqioupp.png

Q. How long is the game?
A. Most estimate playtimes range from around 30 to 60 hours. The critical story path has been in about 25-30 hours on average.

Q. Is this open world?
A. Yes. This game is completely open world. The player is not limited or gated from exploring the world fully in its entirety. Some areas may be require you to be a higher level to stand a chance at survival.

Q. Is this a fully-fledged RPG?
A. Yes. Horizon: Zero Dawn is an action RPG where you play the role of Aloy. During the course of the game, you level up your character, invest points and upgrades into various skills, craft weapons, armors and
other items, and engage in conversations with NPCs that may have an affect on other events in the game.

Q. How much harddrive space do I need?
A.
The game's total install size at the moment is around 42GB.

Q. Multiplayer?
A.
Nope.

REVIEWS

Wall of Shame

y1XLEld.png

I'm about 65% complete. Got through the bulk of the side content in order to keep going with the main content when I'm ready again.

Nice OT!

Nice...on to OT2!

The countdown is on...I only have a little over a week to finish this before Persona 5 comes out. But I have faith in myself, I can do it!

zulux21

new thread is fitting as my wife beat the game tonight getting her plat trophy at the same time (the first one that my ps4 has ever seen, and my ps3 never saw one at all lol)

I need e3 to come already so I can get some dlc announcement.

Having a hard time committing to the final story mission. I just don't want this masterpiece to end.

if it helps.

you can replay the final mission over and over

and if you want it to last as long as possible.
the end credit roll is like 37 minutes @_@

note, there is no context to the spoilers as they don't spoiler anything of real meaning lol.

Great OT! Excited to make some progress this week. I just got done when tracking down Sona, and have been enjoying each and every moment.

Ha, I wasn't expecting to be the first on the wall. I even left Horizon behind like three weeks ago... it says how much of an impression left on me.

Edit: Love the new art btw.

Toni

That is the most fantastic title to an OT I've seen in probably the last 5 years lol

Aloy stays winning 👑

Malus

Don't have the game, love the OT title. Every OT should strive to achieve this level of title-excellence.

Top notch thread title.

I just got back into this game last night after finishing up Zelda, and I can't wait to really get stuck in. It plays so well and looks so gorgeous.

reKon

Banned
Ordered my KS8000 and because I have a very busy week, I may limit my playing time of this until it comes in. It's already looks incredible on my Plasma so I can't really imagine this game in 4K.

zulux21

Fantastic title.any news on when ng+ is coming?

we have no word on any sort of ng+

at this point the only thing we know is that they are working on a story based DLC that they weren't supposed to talk about so they poorly attempted to erase such knowledge from the internet :p

Top Bottom