• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I will go in to take a few more as the host I got now can display them much bigger. Back in 15 minutes or so. I love this game.

LiquidMetal14

pcsx2-r38782011-02-242jmyl.jpg

pcsx2-r38782011-02-242pm1l.jpg

pcsx2-r38782011-02-242zmg5.jpg

pcsx2-r38782011-02-242vm3b.jpg

pcsx2-r38782011-02-242kmhu.jpg

pcsx2-r38782011-02-242fm4g.jpg

There seems to be some artifacts this time around. Will have to check some settings.

LiquidMetal14

Last test in BMP format.

pcsx2-r38782011-02-242lmje.png

pcsx2-r38782011-02-2427mlz.png

Yep, that solved all my compression issues. I will post more pics of this and other games from time to time as I progress.

Alright after so many years of looking at emulated pics and not having a rig to handle it. I'm finally get this bastard up and running on my new i7 rig.

I can only take so much looking at games like Dragon Quest. I finally dusted it off my backlog, in which I've had this game since release but only tried for a hour, ripped the ISO and when to town on the high resolution settings.

Good sweet lord, playing through these PS2 titles with high resolution and AA is like freakin' revelation. Talking about breathing new life from an old machine. All the detail, artwork, graphical polished created by the devs really shines through. O_O

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Good sweet lord, playing through these PS2 titles with high resolution and AA is like freakin' revelation. Talking about breathing new life from an old machine. All the detail, artwork, graphical polished created by the devs really shines through. O_O

Absolutely. For me, Kingdom Hearts II in particular is incredible looking. Looked great on my old CRT with the original console, but looks amaaaaazing in HD with 4xAA or more.

DQ8 looks mighty fine. I'll have to dig out my copy and give it a go.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Alright after so many years of looking at emulated pics and not having a rig to handle it. I'm finally get this bastard up and running on my new i7 rig.

I can only take so much looking at games like Dragon Quest. I finally dusted it off my backlog, in which I've had this game since release but only tried for a hour, ripped the ISO and when to town on the high resolution settings.

Yep.. It's almost like it makes the development costs for these games retroactively SKYROCKET DRAMATICALLY just by increasing the resolution and anti-aliasing.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Some Persona 4 shots. Game is sharp.

[mg]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-252uywd.png[/img]

[mg]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-252yx5b.png[/img]

[mg]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-2526z5b.png[/img]

[mg]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-2527b33.png[/img]

[mg]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-252vazx.png[/img]

[mg]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-2529aux.png[/img]

[mg]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-2529xui.png[/img]

God damn I need to learn how to do this on my PC.

LiquidMetal14

And the configuration isn't so hard really. Don't overthink things but make sure you set the scaler to 3-4x so the res gets the bump it needs. It wasn't as easy for me because I set the plugin and iso type of loading wrong at times but once I messed around enough it was a breeze. It's beyond impressive.

Last ones for now.

This Dragon Quest one is one of the first caps I took without properly scaling. Looks nice and better than the original but not res'd up (had it at 1x scaling). As soon as I set it to 3x almost all IQ issues were gone.

pcsx2-r38782011-02-220mmxw.png

And Persona 4, ghosting is an issue in this one. Not annoying at all but noticeable. I enabled the fix and still got it. Hopefully that will be cleared up in a future release.

pcsx2-r38782011-02-252pmiv.png

pcsx2-r38782011-02-252gmrh.png

LiquidMetal14

hateradio said:
Did you forget the whole BIOS dump?
The hardest part for me was just getting the emulator to load a game. I tried all sorts of settings on my last dual core and my new SB PC but nothing. I finally tinkered with the loading method (either iso or disc) and things took off. I only have 1 of my games on file on the PC but for some reason rather run my games off my discs. I'm going to have to sit down and load all my games to my HDD one of these days.

LiquidMetal14

I had 3 friends who dumped stuff like this all the when I lived in CA. I had no clue what hell they were doing but they repaired PC's and tinkered with crap like this all day. Kinda like the one guy who makes custom consoles like the portable Dreamcast's.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find some games need far to many speedhacks considering just what they are. There is little reason why I need to underclock the EE and up VM stealing to max to play Suikoden 3 at 60 FPS.

9C478FB0C1C290AE67DCD9C85BFB36ECC47ED188

9C234E4F17FD962E6F583CC5A28D758598C336C2

0958DFD98437273F230632757912FB353F7654A4

Demigod Mac

Ah, those RenderWare games all look so similar...

Suikoden III uses it. Not coded very close to the metal, that's probably why it runs slowly despite looking rather bland. Middleware performance penalty.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I really need to get this working on my PC. PS3 upscaling just doesn't cut it and games still look like a blurry mess.

Zomba13

I've been playing through Suikoden V on this after having the game for god knows how long. I honestly don't remember buying it but I must've seen it in a shop or somewhere. Don't think I ordered it from the internet.
I'd post some screens but I don't know how to direct link screen shots taken with the Steam screnshot thing.

Vorador

Banned
timnich said:
Wow this has improved alot! Tales of the Abyss runs full speed for me now with a bit of tweaking. I'm not sure how everyone gets such a sharp image though. It's not like it looks like crap, but I imagine it could look a bit better, no?

For Tales of Abyss you're better using ol' GSDX 1354

toagsdx2.png

_Xenon_

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
I just tried Tales of the Abyss after years. I am using the GSdx 4336 MCVC 16.00 SSE2 and get these results.....

[/img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-280um02.png[/img]

[/img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-280tm8q.png[/img]

[/img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-2802mwt.png[/img]

[/img]http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-r38782011-02-280pmwa.png[/img]
Have you tried pressing F5 to change the interlace mode?

Vorador said:
For Tales of Abyss you're better using ol' GSDX 1354

toagsdx2.png

Just tried tht version of the plugin and I get a completely mess:

CTFnD.jpg

But yeah n that screen it looks a lot sharper that my last batch of screenshots... maybe there is a blur filter on the game (like okami's or MGS3) and specially on that version (1354) it was removed by accident and then "fixed" on next releases...

LiquidMetal14

_Xenon_ said:
Have you tried pressing F5 to change the interlace mode?
Hmm, I will do that now.

Didn't really do much for me. I think the game looks fine though. The screen went wobbly on me when I cycled and hit a certain configuration.

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
Can anybody tell me where I might be able to find a list of recommended specs for ps2 emu?

I'm going to build a new PC soon and getting this to work well is one of my main goals.

DieH@rd

Banned
One Ok Rock said:
Can anybody tell me where I might be able to find a list of recommended specs for ps2 emu?

I'm going to build a new PC soon and getting this to work well is one of my main goals.

You need to aim for high Gh numbers and minimum of dualcore. Rest is not so important, any current-gen gpu/ram parts will do.

Gvaz

Banned
CPU is a billion times more important than GPU, ram not very important, CPU speed a billion times more important than cores.

That being said, if you get an i7 or an i5 even you should have no problems.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wait so more than dual core support is being planned? I remember the team always stating it would never go over 2 cores

LiquidMetal14 said:
Gonna try FF12 in a bit. I've been wanting to play that for a while.
Probably the best game to play on it, by far :)

Yasae

Banned
Gvaz said:
CPU is a billion times more important than GPU, ram not very important, CPU speed a billion times more important than cores.

That being said, if you get an i7 or an i5 even you should have no problems.
Wholeheartedly approved - and I've done a big GPU upgrade recently with no significant performance increase (as I expected.) Focus your money on a good CPU.

LiquidMetal14

I went to the GS plugin listed above and it gave me nothing but issues. I still stand by what I'm using right now. Here are some more shots I just took.....

pcsx2-r38782011-02-2819jgf.png

pcsx2-r38782011-02-281hmz5.png

pcsx2-r38782011-02-2815mkj.png

pcsx2-r38782011-02-2812jiw.png

pcsx2-r38782011-02-281amwq.png

pcsx2-r38782011-02-282zku8.png

There's slight ghosting in this one too but it's not really that apparent.

Gvaz

Banned
Teetris said:
Wait so more than dual core support is being planned? I remember the team always stating it would never go over 2 cores

Probably the best game to play on it, by far :)

They said there was no improvement by using more cores because of how they have it running in the first place. That's what I remember.

LiquidMetal14

Quixzlizx said:
I don't know how some of you can play 4:3 games in widescreen. That is way more jarring to me than blur.
For FF12, I manually turned on 16x9/widescreen mode and that is what you see with those particular FF12 caps. All games look fine though, really. Even the ones that are being forced into the widescreen format.

Yeah FF XII looks so nice on PCSX2. It feels like you just got yourself a brand new HD remix of an already gorgeous game. Truly one of the best showcases of PCSX2 from the games I have tried so far.

LiquidMetal14

GrumpyAlien said:
Yeah FF XII looks so nice on PCSX2. It feels like you just got yourself a brand new HD remix of an already gorgeous game. Truly one of the best showcases of PCSX2 from the games I have tried so far.
And to think, that's all they would need to do and people would buy it for 30 or so. But noooooo :p

This is really the best of both worlds though. I can play it with a DS3 and BT dongle on my couch. It's heaven. I am looking for more games to try. I can't find a lot of my games from my last move. I've been wanting to try RRV amongst others.

Chesskid1

Banned
Quixzlizx said:
I don't know how some of you can play 4:3 games in widescreen. That is way more jarring to me than blur.

i facepalm here alot because every page someone is posting stretched persona or kingdom heart shots. :(

F9 (someone around there) is ingame toggle for aspect ratio i believe. switch between 4:3 and 16:9 a couple times in kingdom hearts for example to see how terrible the stretching is, yuck.

Quixzlizx

LiquidMetal14 said:
For FF12, I manually turned on 16x9/widescreen mode and that is what you see with those particular FF12 caps. All games look fine though, really. Even the ones that are being forced into the widescreen format.

I guess certain things bother certain people. I don't even notice tearing that some gaffers claim makes games unplayable, but those stretched Persona 4 screenshots higher up on the page are like eye cancer to me.

LiquidMetal14

Quixzlizx said:
I guess certain things bother certain people. I don't even notice tearing that some gaffers claim makes games unplayable, but those stretched Persona 4 screenshots higher up on the page are like eye cancer to me.
Believe me when I say you won't be really at a focus when playing from like 10 feet away and with that clarity. And tearing has never bothered me until I recently started trying some PC games. It can get jarring in some games.

Quixzlizx

LiquidMetal14 said:
Believe me when I say you won't be really at a focus when playing from like 10 feet away and with that clarity. And tearing has never bothered me until I recently started trying some PC games. It can get jarring in some games.

I don't have to force myself to suffer through it... I've played PS2 games on a computer monitor 2' away from me, and I just played in 4:3 mode.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Tried Subsistence today, results are excellent at 1440x1080 resolution. Im running a 2-3 year old PC as well, which really surprised me. The only drawback I can see is that If I record with Fraps, my framerate goes to 40ish, which impacts scene recording and playing. Guess I'll have to invest in a new PC soon :D

hawt1.jpg

hawt2.jpg

Mr. Hyde

I'm thinking of going into my PS2 backlog and trying Suikoden V on PCSX2. Has anyone tried playing it on pcsx2? I've played Persona IV using PCSX2 and it ran smoothly with my q6600 @ 3.0ghz/8800 gts g92 setup, but I am not sure how optimized Suikoden V is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom