• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy : is it this effective to recover faster?

fireflame

I have read that sportsmen who are injured sometimes resort to high pressured oxygen cells to recover faster.Beckham for example did this long ago after breaking a bone during a match.

Is that sort of therapy effective and how long will it take before it becomes accessible to common people?

BWjMMojIYAAYGWZ.jpg

Here is a document from the NHS about Hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

LINK

Basically it appears that it can help for victims of decompression sickness and carbon monoxide poisoning. But outside of that there is no evdence that it actually helps much.

fireflame

I am referring to this, to be more accurate

If that sort of therapy is proved to be effective, imagine how big of a help it would be to many problems, to many people.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I am referring to this, to be more accurate

If that sort of therapy is proved to be effective, imagine how big of a help it would be to many problems, to many people.

Doesn't look like it has demonstrated much benefit in the bulk of those applications.

Even at the bleeding edge of probabilities where someone actually heals a bone slightly faster, dunno if that would be worth having messed up vision for several weeks.

Maiorum

Hyperbaric oxygen can be useful when you're worried about gas gangrene, because the organism that causes it grows in low oxygen environments. Apart from that, it doesn't cause faster healing or anything like that, as far as I know.

We used it over 16 years ago in a department I worked in, mostly elderly people with sores that were difficult to heal. Think it was mainly a Consultant who wanted to see if it worked, I can't say either way as the patients in for this were from different areas. We just had the chamber on site and ran it, lots of different areas came and used it. We never did, so have no clue why we had it and were trained in it's use....

fireflame

Hyperbaric oxygen can be useful when you're worried about gas gangrene, because the organism that causes it grows in low oxygen environments. Apart from that, it doesn't cause faster healing or anything like that, as far as I know.

It might apparently be effective to treat finromyalgia

Greedings

Professional athletes do the most ridiculous, unfounded things to try to gain an edge. They're superstitious and ignorant.

The thing is, in professional sports 1-3% can make a tremendous difference, so any small placebo effect they get from, cupping, wearing their lucky socks, or sitting in a hyperbaric chamber can help.

Top Bottom